• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peyton Manning is a pretty big piece of shit: A Shaun King expose for NY Daily News

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This isn't really new news. Its been brought up repeatedly throughout his career and no one ever gives a shit.

But now in the age of Cosby, maybe people will give a shit.

I just finished reading the article, and the fact that the book is still published with the fabricated stories against her blows my mind. Surely one of the settlement stipulations would've been to remove any mention of her at all.

Dude grew up, became a good person.

Hahahaha, no he didn't. Despite his "good ol' boy" charm in ads, he's still selling lies in his memoir, sexually assaulted a person AND ruined that persons career over a petty vendetta of "I just don't like her." That's not "good" nor "growing" that's just complete piece of shit.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
His blatant marketing for companies he has a stake in is pretty shitty, too.

Stealing a laptop is nothing near what Manning did.

LosDaddie

Banned
SEems some people took the Cam criticism to heart, and were really upset Denver blew Carolina out and made Newton look silly in the process.

I thought this article was some new news, but it was all stuff I remember reading during his TN days, when a lot of people laughed at him for losing to UF 4 straight times.

vikki

His blatant marketing for companies he has a stake in is pretty shitty, too.

Stealing a laptop is nothing near what Manning did.

Agreed. I'm a Pats fan and I didn't mind Peyton, but reading stuff like that disgusts me. Dude did everything he could to make that doc look like she's the bad guy. And he never really paid the price because he was the NFL's golden boy.

I understand the document that this information came out of was prepared by the prosecution, but the letter written to manning from the other athlete is pretty damning. Dude told Manning to own up because a.) he was dragging another person into his bullshit b.) he was smearing this doctor's name c.) he broke his own confidentiality agreement to out this female doctor!! He could've kept his mouth shut!!! But he couldn't handle that, so he decided to defame this woman even more. And the dude he was enlisting to cover up his behavior pretty much said he's a shit.

Meanwhile Tom Brady gets crucified for balls being just a little under regulation.

Toxi

Banned
Saw this on reddit a few hours ago. A lot of the responses were bitching about the fact that Shaun King has a history of "race baiting" in his articles and that his article on Peyton should be discredited. SMH.
It's Reddit, what do you expect.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This shit has been out there forever... the problem is nobody really gives a shit what he did in college anymore.

Just like I'd forgotten about the laptop shit about Cam... it doesn't matter anymore.

So Peyton was a shithead who did something really really stupid in college.. and probably with help from others tried to cover it up. I can't judge a man for what he is anymore, only what he did in college? I think a lot of us wouldn't want to be judged by our time in college.

Though admittedly I never put my balls and dick on someones head who didn't give me consent to put my balls and dick on their head.

inner-G

Banned
So Peyton was a shithead who did something really really stupid in college.. and probably with help from others tried to cover it up. I can't judge a man for what he is anymore, only what he did in college? I think a lot of us wouldn't want to be judged by our time in college.
What about the lying and attacks on her character? It's more than one isolated incident.

In college, people are adults and should absolutely be held responsible for their actions. Shit, high school students get tried as adults.

NervousXtian

What about the lying and attacks on her character? It's more than one isolated incident.

In college, people are adults and should absolutely be held responsible for their actions. Shit, high school students get tried as adults.

Should he have been punished harsher in college, yes. Of course he should have.

Got some other dirt on Manning that doesn't involve this issue from his college days? I'm waiting for that... this one incident doesn't mean he's a total piece of shit, even if he did some shitty things.

rjc571

Banned

Got some other dirt on Manning that doesn't involve this issue from his college days? I'm waiting for that... this one incident doesn't mean he's a total piece of shit, even if he did some shitty things.

Are you intentionally ignoring the fact that he continued to harass and slander this woman for years after the incident took place?

How have you had experiences with Eli and Peyton?

tumblr_lzxanklxlJ1r89gebo1_500.gif

:p

Meanwhile Tom Brady gets crucified for balls being just a little under regulation.

Yeah, Tom gets treated like he's a big pice of shut despite by all accounts being an okay guy. There is no reason tom should be any where close to the most hated player.

Deflategate? Solidly a framejob.

Him walking out on his baby mama? They were already broken up before they found out she was pregnant. And he is actively involved in his kids life.

He's arrogant? Not really. At last not anymore than a any other pro athlete. He holds himself to high standards and he always puts blame on his own shoulders, while sharing praise with his team. He always is dignified and respectful. Can he talk shit? Sure, but it's relately tame and good natured.

The man is dedicated and add the will power of a Buddhist monk. Yet people try to tear him down.

U guarantee you there isn't a single poster on this board who wouldn't be thrilled to have him as qb

Boke1879

Its disappointing you continue on with this fallacy. How many str QBs walked out of post interview after losing the Superbowl in last ten years? You're capable of being much morr level headed than this.

Peyton literally walked off the field when he lost his SB without congratulating the other team or the QB. Heard nothing of it. Cam went right over to Peyton. All smiles. But people focus on him leaving the interview.

Who cares if no one has done it. The man stated he's not above being a sore loser. He didn't want to talk to the media. Who does after they lost the biggest game of their career. Move on. There are more important and worse things going on in the NFL aside from Cam walking away from an interview.

And yes ESPN is definitely trying to push this shit under the rug.

Basketball

Why would they

I doubt they want to tarnish the image of a recent Superbowl winning qb.
Especially since its old news. The memoirs are more current but still talking about old news and maybe ESPN and most people don't care about someone's dirty laundry. Weird timing, the chance to strike at his character is far gone ,especially compared to the incident. Trying to hack at a Sequoia tree with a butter knife.

p2535748

I'll repeat again what I and others have said many times: if Manning had done this, apologized and moved on, you would have a point. He didn't do that.

Instead, he allegedly used his family's money and fame to viciously destroy a woman's career, going so far as to attack her out of the blue years later and publish a book that defames her. He didn't simply cover it up, he went out of his way to hurt the victim, even after it was clear he'd face no consequences.

To this day, he had not admitted fault. To this day, he continues to allow the defamatory book to be sold. He's fucking forty years old. This is not a case of "boys will be boys". If this is true, his wrongdoing is ongoing.

Jay Sosa

Lol at ESPN ordering employees not to discuss this. What a joke.

? i always disliked Peyton but this is old news..so why would they(discuss it). I'd rather say it's a total bitch move by NY Daily to publish that article now to grab some attention.

p2535748

"Allegedly" is a big word.

Yes, and if you want to argue about the evidence, feel free. I've said before that I think there's troubling quotes and claims here, but I don't assume it's all true.

My point was that while it's fine to question the facts, it's not really true to just say "don't judge him for something he did in college," which is what I was replying to said.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
this cosby stuff is really old news guys. everyone knows hannibal buress had an agenda too. it's not a race thing -- let's just all move along from any scrutiny of people who've made millions pimping out their wholesome images.

and even if it did happen, that was back in college. and all the evidence shows manning is clearly reformed and remorseful, and in fact at the forefront of this issue nowadays (pink jerseys, etc.)

akira28

so sharp I didn't even feel it pierce my kidneys. I was a bout to get mad, then I was already dead.

pink jerseys ya'll.

NervousXtian

Are you intentionally ignoring the fact that he continued to harass and slander this woman for years after the incident took place?

I'll repeat again what I and others have said many times: if Manning had done this, apologized and moved on, you would have a point. He didn't do that.

Instead, he allegedly used his family's money and fame to viciously destroy a woman's career, going so far as to attack her out of the blue years later and publish a book that defames her. He didn't simply cover it up, he went out of his way to hurt the victim, even after it was clear he'd face no consequences.

To this day, he had not admitted fault. To this day, he continues to allow the defamatory book to be sold. He's fucking forty years old. This is not a case of "boys will be boys". If this is true, his wrongdoing is ongoing.

He put some shit in a book, probably because to this day he thinks what he did wasn't that bad and that she overreacted. He's wrong, of course... but I don't think putting something in his book was meant as an attack on her directly, it was him trying to paint the issue as a "boys will be boys, she had it coming" kind of light.. again bullshit.. but where does it state Manning was the one trying to make someone else take the blame.. that was the college guys. Manning said he mooned a guy, that guy said he didn't. He put his dick and balls in someones face, which is a pretty shitty thing to do .

Again, we got something else to paint him as some giant piece of shit than this incident from over 20 years ago?

I don't think putting something in his book was meant as an attack on her directly, it was him trying to paint the issue as a "boys will be boys, she had it coming" kind of light..

This is a direct attack on her, and was meant as such. The means by which the attack (which was prolonged over the course of several years) was leveled is also pretty racist, too.

I'm also confused as to why it being "old news" is relevant when the old news is now news again thanks to the Daily News & Daily Beast articles on it recently.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
He put some shit in a book, probably because to this day he thinks what he did wasn't that bad and that she overreacted. He's wrong, of course... but I don't think putting something in his book was meant as an attack on her directly, it was him trying to paint the issue as a "boys will be boys, she had it coming" kind of light.. again bullshit.. but where does it state Manning was the one trying to make someone else take the blame.. that was the college guys. Manning said he mooned a guy, that guy said he didn't. He put his dick and balls in someones face, which is a pretty shitty thing to do .

Again, we got something else to paint him as some giant piece of shit than this incident from over 20 years ago?

Among many other things, did you read the part where she found out about the book? The name written on the package? The taunting fashion in which it was delivered? How its arrival spelled the end of her tenure at that university? [Though, the article wasn't clear on that last part]

If this is true, he's an absolutely horrible and shitty person. This is why I generally advise people not to look up sports personalities. They're almost always pampered, self-serving, 'roided up, cheating assholes. Which is why the bickering about whether this makes Manning better or worse than Newton or Brady or anyone else is hilarious. They're all shitheads. Matters of degree don't mean anything when your entire head is made of shit.

However, I am somewhat surprised at OP. He has a stated bias against Manning, which is fine. But I've come to expect more level-headed posts from him than this. Since when is a tabloid (which the NYDN is) report, written by someone who took the accuser's lawyer's statements and turned them into "news," considered fact?

Does being innocent until proven guilty mean nothing in the court of public opinion? Or is the feeling of a torch in one hand and a pitchfork in the other just too inviting to ignore? I'm curious about how many people in this thread jumping on Manning can also be spotted in the Making a Murderer thread, dutifully defending a man (Steven Avery) who was convicted by a jury of his peers of murder because they think the police and the witnesses who helped get that conviction were lying. Because people lie all the time to serve their own needs. Do they not see the irony here?

All this isn't to say that Manning is innocent. I don't know that. None of us do. But unless he was caught red-handed or fesses up or some strong evidence is put forth, I'm not going to shit on him. I'll give him the same treatment I would any person in this position.

I get that there are sports rivalries to consider and people want to feed into that. Hell, if people want to say he's a shitball for how he stormed off the field after losing the Super Bowl against the Saints, I'll absolutely agree. I shat on Newton for acting how he acted and I shat on Manning for what he did too. It was childish. And stupid.

But until I know that what the NYDN is reporting is fact, I can't hate the man for it. It's not fair.

Gattsu25

Banned
Saw this on reddit a few hours ago. A lot of the responses were bitching about the fact that Shaun King has a history of "race baiting" in his articles and that his article on Peyton should be discredited. SMH.

The same Reddit that in 2015 was the fastest growing white supremacist spot on the net?

I'm shocked.

Weevilone

My wife is still made that I informed her of all this stuff a couple years back. She preferred admiring him out of ignorance.

NervousXtian

Among many other things, did you read the part where she found out about the book? The name written on the package? The taunting fashion in which it was delivered? How its arrival spelled the end of her tenure at that university? [Though, the article wasn't clear on that last part]

If he delivered the book to her, that's some sick shit. I didn't read that part. I got part way through the King piece and it was written like an attack blog post, so I stopped.

Again, it's old news being brought back up because he's retiring and won the superbowl.

..but I'm a guy who got over the Michael Vick stuff pretty quick as well. I'm not one to hold a grudge either, especially on people I don't know personally.

Basketball

See: Brady, Tom

Really you don't see the difference

Cheating in a major playoff game(s) of the most popular sport in America in the last 2 years (affects the Brand of the NFL, Teams/player involved, Commissioner, Coaches,etc)

vs Old news (1 v 1)(isolated incident)(20+years)(book trash talk)

Old news?

He is currently being cited in a lawsuit by a group of women, "alleging that the University of Tennessee has violated Title IX regulations and created a "hostile sexual environment" through a policy of indifference toward assaults by student-athletes".

It's now new news.

oatmeal

Banned

Cheating in a major playoff game(s) of the most popular sport in America in the last 2 years (affects the Brand of the NFL, Teams/player involved, Commissioner, Coaches,etc)

Considering 1 of them didn't actually happen and only blew up because the league didn't put a stop to it or the false leaked numbers...no, I see no difference.

When you have Mike Kensil, an NFL league employee as the one leaking the BS numbers, and then the NFL goes quiet for over a week to let the shit percolate...yeah, no difference, really worried about the brand.

Ummm like so what??? He can throw a football really well. He could murder 8 children and an animal shelter full of puppies and get away with it. Famous people shouldn't face the same consequences as normal people.

I kid (hopefully that's obvious) but it is funny that things tend to work out that way.

p2535748

Or another way to look at it is:

Alleged cheating in a sport (on field, not a criminal offense)

Vs

Alleged sexual assault (possible felony), alleged defamation, alleged harassment, alleged attempts to implicate innocent people (all real life offenses, some possible criminal, all of which have actual impact on people's real lives, not just sports)

I find it unfathomable that anyone could make the argument that deflation is a bigger deal or more worthy of investigation and reporting.

Also, I'm going to again plead with people to do saying "old news". If it's true, then:

1. It's not old news, because he continues to not address it, so the offense continues to today

2. He's never been punished for it. This is not some incident where he did something, got caught, and paid his debt. He's never paid anything for this, so even if this is old, he should be held accountable at some point, right?

And yes, those two points are assuming it's true. I do not assume it's true, I'm just pointing it that the important question is whether or not it's true, not how long ago it happened.

Basketball

Why now (the dude just won the SB) - seems like an article out of malice .. in an attempt to prop up Newton somehow for the poor media coverage in the past week.

Has this incident in Manning's past ever had traction ?

comparing this to Cosby is hyperbolic. 40+ women came forward vs Cosby himself ... not a group of athletes (not to mention the differences in the assault types)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
this cosby stuff is really old news guys. everyone knows hannibal buress had an agenda too. it's not a race thing -- let's just all move along from any scrutiny of people who've made millions pimping out their wholesome images.

and even if it did happen, that was back in college. and all the evidence shows manning is clearly reformed and remorseful, and in fact at the forefront of this issue nowadays (pink jerseys, etc.)
The Cosby thing wasn't a race thing though, right? The parody kind of falls apart there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Cosby thing wasn't a race thing though, right? The parody kind of falls apart there.

Thats...exactly my point? This isn't about race or anything else -- just leeches trying to make a buck off witch-hunting successful people.

Well the act took place in College
NCAA is a good ol' boys style corporation
Some players are treated like "Made men", "Untouchable"
Made NCAA money, left legacy, prestige
Repeat in NFL

Manning gets by with a lot due to lineage of last name
NFL's premier prototype of how a QB should be
Marketable, Presentable, but most important be an Obident follower to the shield, if you are, you're protected

Pey Pey can literally be washed of his sins, NFL will make sure of that
Golden Goose

Likability goes a long way. Also a media darling. Brady gets fucked with due to bias from national media making him to play the villain role.

I'm a Broncos fan saying this lol
I'm just happy my team won SB50, happy for Ware + Von Miller. Manning got away with it, its those things that aren't new.

Sports always have these transgressions that get swept under the rug.

You don't even have to get as high up as college. Football is basically a religion in many states in this country. So much so that athletes are protected from anything they do. The example that immediately pops to mind is one that happened several years ago. Long story short, two girls (13 and 14) were given alcohol by a star football player on a highschool team. Once they were drunk he and his friend raped them while his others friends apparently videotaped and cheered them. After they finished raping them they dumped the girls off on their lawn in Tshirts in freezing cold weather. After that the mom of one of the girls got fired from her job in which the guy firing her told her that it was because her presence was putting a lot of stress on everyone there. Her brother who was a wrestler at the school was booed during his first match after his sister was raped. And eventually the family was driven out of the town entirely because of how they were being treated. After they'd been driven out of their house, they put it up for sale. It "mysteriously" caught fire afterwards. Here's the statement that the town released after it gained notoriety for being a gigantic piece of shit

The City of Maryville, Missouri regrets that is has gained national and international attention as a result of these incidents and subsequent actions that followed.

This is a small community where everyone knows their neighbors, and caring for and protecting those around you are common practice, not the exception to the rule.

We hope that people who are looking at this incident from afar will cease to rush judgment to condemn the City administration, its Public Safety Department and its citizens.

The actions of an isolated few are tarnishing the image of our city; a heartland city, a city where people built their lives from the ground up.

The investigation into this sexual assault case was not conducted by the City or the Maryville Public Safety Department. Our Public Safety Chief, Keith Wood, has faithfully served the City for 24 years, and his conduct is beyond reproach.

The outcome of this case lies not with the City of Maryville, but with the judicial system and the county prosecutor. In regards to the fire that destroyed the Coleman's home, it was fortunate that there was no loss of life.

Maryville's volunteer fire service responded to the burning home and did their best to extinguish the fire in short order. Unfortunately, the home was destroyed and due to its location, further investigation rests with the Nodaway County Sherriff's Office.

This is a devastating situation for all those involved. Young lives have been changed forever. Going forward, it is essential for our community, the State of Missouri, and the nation to come together to teach our children how to respect each other and themselves.

This was an unfortunate incident that has cast a shadow over the City of Maryville. We hope those who have been critical of the City and the community will realize we are good people, with good values, and allow the justice system to run its course so we all can find a peaceful resolution.

And the rapists? Well, they had the charges dropped. It should be noted that one of the football stars is the son of a Republican that was on the House of Representatives. Which obviously could play a role in why he walked. It however doesn't explain how an entire town turned on someone that was raped. That's all football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom