• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Beta and Information Thread [Open Beta Live Now]

MrDaravon

Finally bit the bullet and grabbed this just to see if it would run on my laptop. On the lowest settings it runs flawlessly but looks pretty bad, but I could probably make some tweaks, just wanted to see if it was even an option or not. Debating on how much more I want to mess with it though, having flashbacks to navigating the Japanese version of FFXI when that originally came out lol. At the very least though I know I can run it assuming it comes out in the US.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Switched to Force and Hunter to do their lv 2 quests and gain access to Maru and Lisa.
Although I've played Force in the pOB it's less fun than I thought. Which is weird, because I always play caster classes. Ranger on the other hand is great - I feel like I'm playing a third person shooter. Won't probably switch from my hunter, since I love him too much.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
40 minutes until the maintenance. And it will end at the same time my Friday classes start...

apricot

Started out on Ship 10, but I made a new character on Ship 2 so I can join the rest of you gaffers!

apricotsushi - Artemis

Still getting the hang of things...

NUUUUUUU

pso20120627_220037_017.jpg

Aaaand we're off. We played a lot of free desert before the actual servers went down. We encountered Dark Ragne and got quite a lot of experience from the interrupt events and I really enjoyed it. I've never really grinded before in free desert but I actually found it really enjoyable.

Overall, I'm going to be disappointed that the game's down. :(

Man, lots of Force hate here. It's the only class I enjoy!

I should figure out how to visit player shops to pick up that fancy looking card weapon. Been wanting one since closed beta...

I really think the game engine favors Hunters the most as far as fun goes, but Forces are really the only class able to nuke effectively and can fill multiple roles. Still have no idea what kind of niche Rangers fall into.

Mistle

I really think the game engine favors Hunters the most as far as fun goes, but Forces are really the only class able to nuke effectively and can fill multiple roles. Still have no idea what kind of niche Rangers fall into.
PSO/U have always favoured hunters in terms of fun-factor. But I've still always been a Ranger, haha. They've made big improvements to Ranger in PSO2, it's never been better imo.

Weak points =)

Ranger is a bit boring to play due to having like only two weapon types to use. But I like the Lost Planet-like gameplay.

They seem to be the optimal class to inflict status effects on enemies.

Debuff + Force Nuke = 1000+ Damage easy

In being a high level mage its all about options and damage. In some cases, especially muti-party boss fights, running around and healing and buffing is a blast.

Most weak points can be targets easily by a force at longer than expected ranges and will be always in demand.

joesmokey

Didn't realize this was in open beta until today. Finally got everything ready to play and maintenance time of course :).

Can't wait to get into it once the servers come back up.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Since the lag is practically nonexistent now, I guess we can expect a release soon after the maintenance.
I am pleasantly surprised how smooth and responsive just about everything in the entire game is from the West Coast.
Got this today for 980 yen:

It mostly has basic information but it's also PRETTY AND COLORFUL.
This explains why you are on at those hours then :p

wwm0nkey

I am pleasantly surprised how smooth and responsive just about everything in the entire game is from the West Coast.

Yeah I expect the next PSO2 steam they have to also be the day this leaves beta since this is mostly a stress test and it passes with flying colors.

Pietepiet

Got some good hours in yesterday with a buddy. Had a fucking blast.
One mission in Forest we ran into this huge boss we had to take down with the help of another party before we could go on with our mission. It was so rad.

Ranger's been pretty awesome too, so far. When I switched from controller to WASD + Mouse and put it on the aiming mode, it became much more fun :)

Can't wait to play more on saturday.

Wish GameGuard wasn't tripping balls on Windows 8 all of a sudden (I could play Closed Beta and Pre-Open Beta fine), I really want to play this.

Raide

Yup. PSO1 had battle mode but it was whack haahhah

Yeah, the lack of mobility made it crazy easy to get ganked by the other team. The Soccer mode was ok. I hope they do some more alternative MP modes and not just straight PvP.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
No, but with this having a lot more freedom of movement I think it could work very well.
I was just curious, never played a PS game for longer than a few hours before. Yeah, I'd love me some PvP, but it probably won't happen. Too much balancing etc. to do.

Because we finished so late last night I didn't have time to post this. Only two screenshots (in the usual folder), but they are from a Dark Ragne hard mode kill!
iUFknWAR3h08y.jpg

Love weakshot. 4k+ dmg in one hit.

iocC5jPlHeSjt.jpg

And it's down. We've failed the previous run, because the berserk version appeared, but still got it to under 10%.

Was there any kind of PvP in the previous Phantasy Stars?

Yes. The PSO series had two types of battle modes (Free for all, and Arena)

the PSU series had a ton of PvP options in PSPo2 and they were actually all really fun and objective based (team based, capture points, protect the base and the like).

If you threw in the objective based points system from PSPo2's PvP in with PSO2's multi party areas and had 3 teams of 4 all starting from a different place on the map it could be some incredible fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKw0fYvnC9s

Here's Sakai beating up some girl for jollies, for those of you who pissed out on PSU's version of PvP. Basically, you got points for capturing a pole, destroying an enemy base cube, killing a player, or killing a big monster. If someone captures a pole you can capture it yourself later. This was usually done 2v2, but that video is just for the sake of example. Obviously, PSO2's battle system is a lot more hammered out than that, and there aren't as many latency issues as there are on the PSP. Plus, the more you PvP the more options you unlock, like creating rooms with better arenas, and giving the match the option to keep your own level and equips.

Mistle

If an English version is announced on Thurs, think there is any chance of a 2012 release? Probably crazy but I just want it so bad.

I'm having fun in Japanese but it's just not the same.

wwm0nkey

If an English version is announced on Thurs, think there is any chance of a 2012 release? Probably crazy but I just want it so bad.

I'm having fun in Japanese but it's just not the same.

I would say 2012 is a possibility but January-March 2013 is probably when we will get it.

Mistle

I would say 2012 is a possibility but January-March 2013 is probably when we will get it.
Yeah I'd expect around then also.

In other news, I just saw screens of the snow level. Reskinned forest, seriously? They're already reskinning? That was one of the most disappointing things about PSU, sad to see PSO2 following that trend so early.
Hopefully they have heaps more cool original areas lines up. I personally wouldn't mind something more closed in, with corridors... All the levels are too open so far. The lack of doors and locks is a bad thing to me.

And better/bigger bosses! For everything amazing this game does, I can't help but feel disappointed by other aspects of it.

Top Bottom