• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Beta and Information Thread [Open Beta Live Now]

Nightly screenshots updated.

Random discovery - after the emergency mission in the city, the door to the teleporter pool didn't close for whatever reason... so we were allowed back into the city and able to chill with no mission (and practically no monster spawns).

Only just managed to get Gifoie and Rafoie tonight >.>;

So I got the client and registered now I have 3 bars going is it patching or something?

Shit, must be a monster patch. Going slow.

Yep, about 3gb worth.

@Those hoping or waiting for an english release: There's obviously going to be an english version of the game, but SEGA of America has an history of handling their online games badly, for example they barely updated PSOBB and PSU started getting huge delays in updates around 1 year and half after release. If the english version of PSO2 has a different update schedule than the japanese version, I would recommend avoiding the english servers and just playing in the japanese servers. In my opinion it's preferable to deal with the language barrier than dealing with a division of SEGA that doesn't care for their version of the game.

Most likely I'll still play on the english servers just because I like quests and lore. I gotta savor the journey now instead of being a race to endgame which killed my interests in MMOs. Right now the GAF guild is helping with the language barrier and the grind.

So is the game better with kb/mouse? I have always played PSO with a gamepad and have a 360 one if it works.

I've been mainly using my 360 gamepad as a ranger. Never had a problem.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Still have this problem.
Tab doesn't focus my character direction, but Q does.
HOLDING 'Q' also is lockon at the same time. It used to be toggle.
I can't seem to assign tab to anything either.

Swapping 'Q' up and down one position does not help either. Or does assigning other buttons.

FIXED
TPUzn.jpg

Jubern

Still have this problem.
Tab doesn't focus my character direction, but Q does.
HOLDING 'Q' also is lockon at the same time. It used to be toggle.
I can't seem to assign tab to anything either.

Swapping 'Q' up and down one position does not help either. Or does assigning other buttons.

6QOal.jpg

I tried to assign commands to tab, del and other "special" keys and it seems like you simply can't.

BTW, I already asked a couple days ago, but could anyone send me a GAF team invite please? :(
Name is Jubern on ship 2!

Been thinking about this.

Probably, after english release, many of us will have to decide between keep our developed character at japanese servers, or start over at english.

There were some tricks to transfer most of the character (not perfect) in the V1 and v2 days, but I dont think this will be possible again, most when you are unable just to transfer between ships.

Not only that, but I would love to be able to read all the dialogues and history. I loved Rico's messages from V1.

Your thoughs?

Probably, after english release, many of us will have to decide between keep our developed character at japanese servers, or start over at english.

There were some tricks to transfer most of the character (not perfect) in the V1 and v2 days, but I dont think this will be possible again, most when you are unable just to transfer between ships.

Not only that, but I would love to be able to read all the dialogues and history. I loved Rico's messages from V1.

Your thoughs?

Depending on how the game is handled on the North American servers will be if I decide to start over from scratch or continue playing on the Japanese servers.

Why? Because I'm not too sure I want to experience another PSU again in terms of all of the rollbacks, update delays and connection issues that I had.

Mistle

Your thoughs?
I'll just start over. By the time it comes out, it'll probably feel fresh again anyway. I'm only going to play the Japanese version during the beta.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The game plays well and has a lot of good mechanics in it. Movement I'd like to be faster, but air dashing -> ground dash -> air dash I can basically get out of combat. Canceling is there and it plays really well. Few lag spikes.
Neglecting the Matter Board for a ton of levels sucks, as with having to manual progress certain things with more loading than I would like.

Just sunk some of my points in at level 14. Really REALLY liking the Photon Arts for each weapon. Such a different style, lots of utility for each.
Wlances I skipped one early, then I got another 3 PA's for them and it's just awesome. Sword got the SONIC BOOM which is amazing. Still need the Partisan leap up skill.

DeVeAn

Wow! Played the tutorial messed around a bit and this is the real deal. 360 pad support is amazing and combat is so cool. I want this now. I hope that at least there is a patch for English in the mean time cannot wait!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wow! Played the tutorial messed around a bit and this is the real deal. 360 pad support is amazing and combat is so cool. I want this now. I hope that at least there is a patch for English in the mean time cannot wait!
Right now from what I heard any modification of game files = no go.

Plus it's using Game Guard. :/

Right now from what I heard any modification of game files = no go.

Plus it's using Game Guard. :/

People during CBT had no issues replacing files despite GG, although the files were also unencrypted then. Doesn't seem to have stopped Broommop from already hacking in OBT.

Mistle

You can either used D3DOverrider to force Vsync, or you can use Virtual Full Screen instead of Full Screen.

If you play at your screen's native resolution, I recommend playing at Virtual Full Screen, it doesn't feel any different than playing in full screen, alt-tabbing is alot faster, and there's no screen tearing. Basically in Virtual Full Screen mode you're playing in window mode, but the game fills the whole screen as if you were playing in full screen.

Virtual Full Screen is this option:

QUOTE]Thanks! This fixed heaps- not only is tearing gone, but being able to use explorer over the top of the game is fantastic

Mistle

I played PSU on 360 and not PC. Was hacking ever a problem on the PC servers? Should PSO2 be worried or have SEGA really upped their security?

I remember hearing people were hacking meseta but I can't remember any details of it.

I played PSU on 360 and not PC. Was hacking ever a problem on the PC servers? Should PSO2 be worried or have SEGA really upped their security?

I remember hearing people were hacking meseta but I can't remember any details of it.

I stopped playing PSU on pc because people were starting to clone items which was killing the price of things on sale, I have no idea how far that went but I gave up on the game after playing 1 month on a US account then 2 months on a UK one, For what I know the 360 version never really had a cloning item problem.

ezodagrom

Yeah, hacking was a problem in the english PC/PS2 servers during the early months of the game. This was a problem not just because of the hackers, but also because SEGA of America didn't do anything about the hackers for months (other than locking topics in their forums when prople complained about the hackers).
When they finally did something about the hackers, it was far too late and the damage was already done.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Maintenance incoming. Starting on Thursday at 11AM and ending on Friday, 2PM JST. They're going to add new hardware to fight the lag.

City runs today were awesome, especially since we were able to take down Dark Ragne without much problem with 6 minutes left.
Sadly, you can't level the Mag past 99 in the beta, so mine is going to have to wait for the release.

3 screenshots added to the usual folder:
ibvmBeBPUlEH0w.jpg

City mission.

iSQuN6Iqlw8qH.jpg

Hard mode Dark Ragne dead.

ibpEZZnLCQGqZp.jpg

Level 99 Mag. :(
So happy for my new weapon though. A 7 star 290 dmg +8 Wired Lance is awesome.

Game-settings Gaf, what's the most minimal thing I can tweak down on my settings that will remedy the slight stuttering I experience when things in the game get a little hectic?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh, I didn't know you were a Hunter too. Which PA are you liking for wLances?
I'm digging sword a lot and wlances second right now.

How good is the stance change and Dash Attack?

Yeah, adding completely new hardware and expanding their infrastructure will mean a long maintenance window for installation and extensive testing before going live. Got TERA to hold me over though.

Just out of curiosity, what are the things in slot 4 and 5 in your quickbar?

Weakening Bullet and Binding Bullet. Both are ranger skills you unlock in the skill tree, useable with the assault rifle only.
When you use them you load a bullet into your assault rifle, then next attack you do will affect the target.
With weakening bullet you paint the area you in on the enemy with a crosshair, then any attacks anyone will do will do MASSIVE DAMAGE.
Binding bullet I haven't figured out the exact effects yet but it seems like it may just stop an enemy from attacking, but it doesn't work on larger enemies, maybe if it does when leveled up.

Heres a skill tree for each class: http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/index.html

VariantX

Weakening Bullet and Binding Bullet. Both are ranger skills you unlock in the skill tree, useable with the assault rifle only.
When you use them you load a bullet into your assault rifle, then next attack you do will affect the target.
With weakening bullet you paint the area you in on the enemy with a crosshair, then any attacks anyone will do will do MASSIVE DAMAGE.
Binding bullet I haven't figured out the exact effects yet but it seems like it may just stop an enemy from attacking, but it doesn't work on larger enemies, maybe if it does when leveled up.

Heres a skill tree for each class: http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/index.html

So, does this allow you to put a weak point on an enemy's weak point and do even more damage? Ex. Rockbears head?

Had a fantastic city run with three other GAF folk last night. Lots of fun.

This game is amazing when you get four people together to take down a giant monster with the clock ticking down.

It's been a long time since I've had this much fun in an online multiplayer game.

Maintenance incoming. Starting on Thursday at 11AM and ending on Friday, 2PM JST. They're going to add new hardware to fight the lag.

City runs today were awesome, especially since we were able to take down Dark Ragne without much problem with 6 minutes left.
Sadly, you can't level the Mag past 99 in the beta, so mine is going to have to wait for the release.

3 screenshots added to the usual folder:

So happy for my new weapon though. A 7 star 290 dmg +8 Wired Lance is awesome.

Jesus christ what's your playtime on this game right now

Netto-kun

Just out of curiosity, what are the things in slot 4 and 5 in your quickbar?
Basically what Pinko Marx already wrote. At level 10 you'll be able to use four Weak Bullet rounds, and the skill effect lasts for around 15 seconds while the recast delay is 90 seconds. But one thing to keep in mind is that the remaining rounds will vanish if you switch to another weapon type (Gunslash or Launcher).

Another thing is that your own Ranger can't put multiple Weak Bullet marks on an enemy with different body parts (e.g. Dark Ragne). So you have to wait for the effect to run out before shooting another Weak Bullet round.

Here's a video showing the weak bullet skill being used (note the video is from the closed beta, if I'm not mistaken in the open beta this skill has a longer cooldown):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0D5B2rzmEs&t=18m35s
What in the world, I didn't know that Sneaking Shoot did that much damage with Weak Bullet. I better do some testing on my own.

So, does this allow you to put a weak point on an enemy's weak point and do even more damage? Ex. Rockbears head?
What Weak Bullet does is lowering the defense of the targeted area by a huge amount. So yes, it can be used to deal even more damage if it's used on an enemy's weak point.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Jesus christ what's your playtime on this game right now
65h. Not THAT much. :D
Oh, I didn't know you were a Hunter too. Which PA are you liking for wLances?
I'm digging sword a lot and wlances second right now.

How good is the stance change and Dash Attack?
Heavenly Spin and the Cyclon skill with which you turn your enemy around are my favorites.

Heavenly Spin and the Cyclon skill with which you turn your enemy around are my favorites.

Might as well ask you what you're doing to level up aside from being grindmaster? I'm starting to hit the point where client orders don't give enough EXP to supplement what I get from regular questing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

I didn't play CBT so names mean nothing to me! I use grab and spin them, pile driver, and swing around.

Do you find yourself swapping a lot to other weapons? Right now I've been primarily engaging with my nice attack sword (It's 258 at level 14) and using Sonic Boom which does 200+ with good range and AoE, swapping to wLances for single target or mob control.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
As for my skills - yeah, pile driver and spinnig are my skills of choice.
Also, people, don't forget about just attacks (attacking in a rhythm, when character flashes red). The boost in damage is awesome.

Leveling... Client orders, all that you can take. After Reaching 20, best way is to farm multiparty area in the Rappy quest. If you find a good party, exp is over the top.
Aside from that, grinding the City quest is the.best.source.of.exp. Seriously, screw Dark Ragne, keep close to the others. I've got from the end of lv 27 to 1/3 of 29 in an hour.

Got the last second mother board left and it's an event, ho ho. Doing that and hitting 30 are my plan for today. >]

Top Bottom