• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Beta and Information Thread [Open Beta Live Now]

What class/race combo is everyone going to play?

As much as I love my wizards in all (MMO)RPGs I play, Force doesn't seem that appealing to me in PSO2. For some reason this is the only online RPG where I'm going to go with a melee class and choose a Cast Hunter.
Weapon of choice? Easy, Wire Lances, which let me annoy the hell out of my party by constantly throwing enemies around.

Wire lances are made of win and awesome.

HUmar fo life. dull i know. safe, i know. boring, maybe. But baby, i'm the standard!

also, im ready for this, just waiting for my email!

ezodagrom

Going to start with a Human Hunter:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/74/pso2pob01.jpg

In the release version, I'll buy a 2nd character slot for a Newman Force.

Eventually I might either get a 3rd slot for a Cast Ranger, or, if the english servers are separate, I'll play in the english servers as the Cast Ranger:
http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7190/pso2cb06.jpg

If the english servers don't get the same updates at the same time as the japanese servers, I'll play more in the japanese servers than in the english servers though, I bet SEGA of America is going to screw up the english release of PSO2 somehow.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If anyone wants to get more hype/see some more of the game, here's my minus album with 72 screenshots from alpha 2 to the closed beta.

Didn't get to do the pre-beta due to time constraints, but I sure as hell will be on the Open Beta.

Going with Human Hunter with a Gunslash, that weapon is awesome and I love it. Ever since the original PSO, Sega's the only fucking company out there making online RPGs who seems to understand that some people who enjoy sword-wielding classes don't want to be tanks, don't want a big bulky shield covering their arm, don't want dual wielding and don't want a Cloud Strife sized greatsword...just a DPS with a normal sized goddamn sword.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So... is it coming to the West, and if so, on Vita? I only want it on Vita. ;-; PLEASE
It will probably be released in the West, but there was no official announcement yet. And I guess we can expect the iOS/Vita versions after that.

Definitely going Force all the way. I actually like the way they play in this a lot - card weapons are crazy flexible now.

Also, I like big explosions.

pso20120427_005051_078.jpg

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm a bit lost, is the final version free to play? Will I be able to use the same account on Vita?

Edit: Yes, very glad it is free to play :)

Ainaurdur

Wouldn't it be better to have the ranger on the same character? Less hassle. That is if the race isn't an important factor.

Just used to thinking of them being separate. I am aware of the option, but since I haven't played yet to experience the freedom, my mind is still in PSOBB mode. Different characters for different classes. If I was to only pick one race/character, it would be Newman Male.

About to look at your album, as I want more hype. ;)

And I'll probably spend some time with the Character Creation utility afterward.

Just got an email containing a code. It only seems to mention the closed beta - no mention whatsoever of my participation in the pre-open beta even though I finished that mission with the drills. Did I get screwed?

The email also mentions that we should be patching our clients now, as if I hadn't patched it for pre-open beta (there doesn't seem to be a new patch for open beta up).

Just got an email containing a code. It only seems to mention the closed beta - no mention whatsoever of my participation in the pre-open beta even though I finished that mission with the drills. Did I get screwed?

No you didn't get screwed, as far as I know you got certain bonus codes you can redeem in the open beta, the criteria for the codes were:

Get to level 10 in the closed beta
Get to level 20 in the closed beta
Get to level 10 on ship 6 in the closed beta

So you are all fine for the open beta! =)

EDIT: I totally misunderstood your post, sorry =( I also haven't got my pre-OB code yet and from what I read nobody has so far so I guess we have to wait and see.

No you didn't get screwed, as far as I know you got certain bonus codes you can redeem in the open beta, the criteria for the codes were:

I'm mainly concerned about the reward for playing in the pre-open beta. I only met one of those three conditions in the closed beta.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

I guess the email also mentions that we should be patching our clients now (again).
2 codes from the closed beta here and no mention of the pre-open beta. Maybe they'll send it later.

EDIT: I totally misunderstood your post, sorry =( I also haven't got my pre-OB code yet and from what I read nobody has so far so I guess we have to wait and see.

Well....the whole foreign population probably missed that lol.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm thinking the OT should probably wait until after the beta tests. This thread is kind of like a beta OT though.
Yeah, I've changed the OP for this topic to be like that. To be honest I'd like to edit it a bit and turn it into a 'real' import OT, but PSO2 import has been reserved by FreeMufasa.
If there ends up being a gaf guild, note that there's an 100 player limit to guilds/teams.
www.siliconera.com/2012/04/01/summo...ers-as-ai-partners-in-phantasy-star-online-2/
I really doubt there will be 100 people playing the Japanese PSO2 on Gaf. At least around the release date.

So it's the 21st now in Japan, the beta must have started, right?

Edit: nevermind, I saw 00:00 on the official site and assumed that was the start time, didn't think to read the OP...

I played PSO v1 and v2 with a FOmarl, due to her ability with other classes weapons. I loved to use double saber with a long dress.

Got pissed at ultimate mode in V2, due to enemies high magic resist, so Forces could only play at support roles. But, at the same time, being retardedly overpowered at Very Hard or less when over level 100 and techniques over 15. You was able to clear a room full of monsters with 3 single casts. Also, when she was unable to equip most of the coolest weapons from v2.

I want to go now with a FOnewearl. But would like to see guides like those of PSO-World first, with detailed advantages and drawbacks of every combination.

If you guys didn't update, now is a good time. Especially if you were in the closed but didn't patch for the pre-beta.

The Open beta patch is up and about 7MB.

jtrov

So excited to finally try this out tomorrow morning. I couldn't make time for the pre-open beta, but I will be giving the open beta a lot of love. Getting everything set-up definitely reminded me of when I imported PSO v2 and PSO Ep 1&2. After the original PSO, I was sucked in so badly, that instead of showing some patience I imported the next two iterations. So in a way I'm used to using guides and not having any idea what the quest dialogue and objectives are, along with the story. In some weird way setting up PSO2 is bringing back some nostalgia, which has me even more excited.

I have to quick questions about the game.

First, is it possible to import a character I created using the character creation demo?

And second, how do the areas in the game work? I've watched a few videos and from what I've seen it seems to be very mission based. However, is it possible to just hop in to say, Forest Zone, and work your way up to the boss like in PSO?

Can't wait to hopefully get some group action going. Damn is it going to feel good to be playing PSO again.

First, is it possible to import a character I created using the character creation demo?

Yes. You still pick your race/type, but near the bottom of the customization menu, there's a load/save preset option. Presets from the character creator are automatically there.

And second, how do the areas in the game work? I've watched a few videos and from what I've seen it seems to be very mission based. However, is it possible to just hop in to say, Forest Zone, and work your way up to the boss like in PSO?

You have to unlock a free version of each map to do full runs of it. Can't just go to an area with no mission selected.

jtrov

Yes. You still pick your race/type, but near the bottom of the customization menu, there's a load/save preset option. Presets from the character creator are automatically there.

You have to unlock a free version of each map to do full runs of it. Can't just go to an area with no mission selected.

Awesome, glad I decided to download the character creator then. Definitely will save me time in the morning.

Some what of a bummer that you need to unlock the free version, but it's a neat idea and as long as the missions are fun I'm alright with it.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Arklite

Anyone having trouble downloading the patch? I just got a random BSOD in the middle of updating (had this computer for 3 years, never BSOD'd) and I'm not so sure it wasn't somehow caused by the client. Starting it up again.

Mistle

Whoa whoa whoa I completely forgot about this! I was in the closed beta. Do I just have to download and log into this then? Nothing extra I have to do?

EDIT: Damn, I uninstalled the previous version :/ redownload here i go

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Bah, DL going at only 600k >>

I can pull down 4.8mbps!

LATE LATE EDIT

Installing now!

Please don't tell me there's 10 patches >>

Soulstar

OK. I got everything up to date and I think I'm finalized my character so I'm all set.

Ship 2 will be the stomping grounds right?

Bah, DL going at only 600k >>

I can pull down 4.8mbps!

LATE LATE EDIT

Installing now!

Please don't tell me there's 10 patches >>

I don't think there are alot of patches but I'm pretty sure you have a rather large patch ahead of you.

Hmmh, not much of a big patch I guess as I finished downloading it in about 2 minutes. Though I hope that is the only patch to be downloaded and not have to wake up and have like a few more afterwards.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
There's an article about the new Lilippa's planet field "Underground Mine", which will be added in the first update.

Top Bottom