• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust |OT| Out of the ashes, into the Dust

I'm confused, how do I download this on my PC? I went to the store page and clicked get, it said it was trying to push the install to my (not currently hooked up XBox One), and then I don't see an option anywhere to download it to my PC.

benzy

tkrbbh.png

muzzymate

Wow, a black font on a dark blue background for dialogue makes the text completely illegible and I can't find a way to change it. Will probably skip this one because of that.

Du2andal

Banned
Damn, those assets from 2004 still hold up.

After forcing 8x anistropic filtering and 8x FXAA, this game looks pretty sharp. Weird because I don't remember caring much for the visual style when it originally came out. Makes me wonder how well other xbox originals would hold up if ported like this.

Would I be captured by the beauty of Brutus' glistening green scales?

Would modern machines finally be able to deliver on the creative vision of Whacked!?

Questions to ponder...

Gattsu25

Banned
After forcing 8x anistropic filtering and 8x FXAA, this game looks pretty sharp. Weird because I don't remember caring much for the visual style when it originally came out. Makes me wonder how well other xbox originals would hold up if ported like this.

Would modern machines finally be able to deliver on the creative vision of Whacked!?

Questions to ponder...
They wouldn't. Even at the time PD stood out as a game with very advanced visuals.

When it was added as a backwards compatibility game for the 360 it looked better than some of the lower-rent 360 games out there.

malfcn

My Xbox is running like shit since I started the download. Menus are slow, YouTube won't load, and theres stuttering music in a game. I have fast internet and other devices are having no issue on my network.

Similar issues. Console is running awkwardly slow. The download is slow and has restarted s free times. And the sound on dash and apps is cracking when I navigate around. It's strange.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Er... how do I download this on PC? I "bought" it from the MS web store, but that seemed like an X1 purchase. Either way, can't find it in the Windows 10 store.

Edit: Nvm. Had to log into my account on the Windows store.

Mechazawa

Anyone know how to fix the game immediately crashing on startup? All I get is a window with the logo, a audio pop, and then the window closes.

Doesn't seem like there's any fix.

It's a weird avenue to go, but the review section of the game in the Windows Store does have MS reps responding to people and soliciting for dxdiag files. Might wanna throw yours up there.

Really enjoying the campaign mode so far, and most of all the combat. Considering how unique this game is, I actually can't believe how great the original concept worked out in execution. The multi-tiered maps, the destruction, it all works great, and adds a lot to the core magic-style combat.

With some love, a remake or sequel could be brilliant in this day and age. I would be interested to see how removing the lock-on system in lieu of free-aim with varied levels of aim-assist based on the powers would work out.

wwm0nkey

Questions to ponder...

How are you forcing it? Via inspector?

Acid08

Banned
Is anyone having issues with controllers on PC? I have an XO controller hooked up through bluetooth that works perfectly with everything else but this game won't recognize it.

Rembrandt

Banned

Questions to ponder...

Hell yeah, give me a rerelease of whacked and kung fun chaos

Dinjoralo

Just had a run through some of the missions before bed... Holy crap, some of these are frustrating. Stop running around and freaking shoot the guy, Sammah!!
Overall I'm still having fun. It's weird just how many mechanics seem to be based off of CCG's.

Grisby

Man, those gifs look pretty good. Never did try this but I remember my Rhino's gamestore guy going nuts over it.

And I'm down for the price.

jengo

The 1UP Retrospective James Mielke did with Yukio Futatsugi when the original game released could really stand to be dug up again and posted for those just getting into Phantom Dust now. I can only find portions of it from random message board posts, but I think in lieu of the original, Microsoft would do well to sit down with him again to ask about the game for today's audience's sake at least.

Indignate

My FPS is horrid on Best. May be only in the HUB area? I went into a split screen match and it seemed to run much better, although not optimal.

Also get only audio + black screens for cutscenes.

Only just started but the use of classical pieces in this game is absolutely amazing. It almost reminds me of Catherine's usage of it but so much more subtle and impactful for the atmosphere. Not sold on the game itself yet but I think it's style is more than enough to keep me through the whole thing on it's own. Looks fantastic even today.

Top Bottom