• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust |OT| Out of the ashes, into the Dust

Jawmuncher

I believe you get to start making your own after chapter 3 but I'm not positive. Someone else might have to help with that. Can't remember exactly cuz I haven't played single player that much.

No its not MP only, you can edit decks starting in Chapter 3.

Thanks again....now I have another question lol

What am I doing wrong with the Laser Ability? That thing arcs like crazy and never hits anything unless I stand point blank at someone.

What am I doing wrong with the Laser Ability? That thing arcs like crazy and never hits anything unless I stand point blank at someone.

It's a long range attack. Make sure you're far enough that the targeting reticle is green. It's good if you are behind a pillar or something and the enemy cant see you casting the spell

kogasu

edit: Oops, what he said lol ^
It's a long range skill so you gotta be pretty far away for homing to kick in. The aim reticle must be green.

Jawmuncher

It's a long range attack. Make sure you're far enough that the targeting reticle is green. It's good if you are behind a pillar or something and the enemy cant see you casting the spell
edit: Oops, what he said lol ^
It's a long range skill so you gotta be pretty far away for homing to kick in. The aim reticle must be green.

Ahhh ok. I'll try and keep that in mind next time I use it, thanks.

Zeta Oni

Ok, so make sure your in the correct range for the skill (you can check this in-game by hitting the d-pad direction that corresponds to the same side face button, so for example down on the d-pad will tell you what your A button skill does, it's range, it's uses, and the shape/style of its trajectory), then your gonna have to mentally track the trajectory the laser will take when firing to make sure there's no obstacles in the way and then you should be good. Opponents can still evade or defend, but that's really all there is to it.

Try using a combo like levitate plus a medium/long range projectile to give yourself a clear shot.

Edit: beaten

kogasu

Kinda funny they left the shop scumming in the game. I'm already on the track to rebuilding my dumb gimmick arsenals again lol!

Jawmuncher

Ok, so make sure your in the correct range for the skill (you can check this in game by hitting the d pad direction that corresponds to the same side face button, so for example down on the d pad will tell you what your A button skill does, it's range, it's uses, and the shape/style of its trajectory), your gonna have to mentally track the trajectory the laser will take when firing to make sure there's no obstacles in the way and then you should be good. Opponents can still evade or defend, but that's really all there is to it.

Try using a combo like levitate plus a medium/long range projectile to give yourself a clear shot.

Edit: beaten

Thanks this helps as well. Didn't know about the dpad stuff.

Hexer06

Anyone know why, on the main menu screen, the "Skill Update 1.31/1.32 Applied" changes between those 2 numbers? Yesterday I was 1.32 and my friend couldn't join my match cuz he was 1.31. He restarted the game and then he was on 1.32. Now today I get on, and it's 1.31. I'm confused,lol .

Acid08

Banned
Is anyone having issues with controllers on PC? I have an XO controller hooked up through bluetooth that works perfectly with everything else but this game won't recognize it.

Bumping this because I still haven't been able to fix it. XBO controller works totally fine with Steam and Dolphin but for whatever reason this game isn't recognizing it. Is there some setting I need to change?

wwm0nkey

Anyone know why, on the main menu screen, the "Skill Update 1.31/1.32 Applied" changes between those 2 numbers? Yesterday I was 1.32 and my friend couldn't join my match cuz he was 1.31. He restarted the game and then he was on 1.32. Now today I get on, and it's 1.31. I'm confused,lol .

Wonder if this is why I was having issues joining today?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, got through about 50 of... 106 missions in a day.

Not too bad. But I think I need to grind some cash to get more skills out. lol.

FyreWulff

That almost sounds to me like some of MS's content nodes are desynced and some are still on 1.31

Playing this game's multiplayer is just as great as I remembered, but man, I had really hoped for a slightly more modern matchmaking system. Feels like I spend most of my time online searching for matches it won't even let me into.

Only tried for like 30 minutes, but the tone of this game seems simultaneously goofy and serious. It is both somewhat quaint and dull, I both like it and don't. It does feel quite like a culty Xbox game. It's interesting, I will keep playing.

My guy is named Beard. Was thinking of hitting "no" forever, but was afraid I'd miss when it peaked.
Characters look like dopey muppets. The player character also sounds like one.
Edgar appears to suck.
I'm guessing you had an issue?
No, just, I have no interest in financially supporting Microsoft's PC effort. I'd be hoisting myself.

NewGame

Banned
Okay it's been a long time since I played this.

Whats up with the PC controls (Dont have an xbox controller at the moment)

You have to assign your skills to the face buttons normally but it seems to want to assign them to 1 2 3 4 keys on the keyboard

or Q and E

Where can I find the keybinds? Can I change them?

Start of this game is really awful I totally forgot about the missions where you just have bullet and stand there spamming at a single target.

Not too far into the game, combat isn't particularly amazing but the atmosphere and music is pretty cool. A modern take on the game with the lore, music, and destructible environments could be pretty unique and interesting.

Zeta Oni

So later today (say around 4PM EST) ill be hosting a lobby in an effort to get the "Seasoned Combatant" achievement (requires you play on all multiplayer maps at least once) and maybe a few more.

Ill throw a LFG post in the Club up for those interested.

Hexer06

So later today (say around 4PM EST) ill be hosting a lobby in an effort to get the "Seasoned Combatant" achievement (requires you play on all multiplayer maps at least once) and maybe a few more.

Dammit. I'll be at work or else I would join. I wanna 1k this game if I can. :D

Zeta Oni

Dammit. I'll be at work or else I would join. I wanna 1k this game if I can. :D

Ill probably do this as long as there's people who want to 1k it around honestly, but most of the achievements seem pretty easy on the Multiplayer side luckily, it's the missable single player ones that you gotta watch out for.

Hexer06

Ill probably do this as long as there's people who want to 1k it around honestly, but most of the achievements seem pretty easy on the Multiplayer side luckily, it's the missable single player ones that you gotta watch out for.

Sweet. I'll most likely be on later tonight, but I'm not sure when. I don't even get home til around 8:30pm EST. Which sux cuz most of my friends are east coast time so I barely get to play with em by the time I get on, lol. Got to Chapter 3 yesterday and can finally start building my own deck. I forgot you barely start with any skills so I bought an extra arsenal case for nothing lol.

Game keeps rebooting to title screen whilst I watch cutscenes/dialogue scenes in the intro on my Xbox One. Anyone else experiencing these weird technical issues?

biRdy

Not sure if already mentioned but on Xbox it lets me play multiplayer even though my gold expired a few days ago.

mrlion

I downloaded it since its free and I'm loving it. The depth in the combat and the many possibilities you can do with it makes it very appealing to me. Its unfortunate that its only 30 fps and the graphics are dated but its a fantastic title. I haven't tried multiplayer yet but I hope its just as amazing.

Why do they not want to remake this game?

This is really weird. yOU can play other games while this is on. I have Killer Instinct caused in the background while this game is running on my xbox one.

Liking the game so far. It is fascinating, I wonder why we (EU) never got it.

Nheco

This game actually can run on top of other games - it acts like apps do. It must really not be that taxing even with the resolution bump.

Fallout Shelter does the same. Probably Xbox treats both as an app, not a game. Unfortunately the same doesn't happen to clicker heroes.

TheSeks

PM me your gamertag, I'll help out and try to get the multiplayer win achievements off you.

SPDIF

This game actually can run on top of other games - it acts like apps do. It must really not be that taxing even with the resolution bump.

Yeah, like Fallout Shelter, it seems like its a UWP game that's running in the shared partition of the system, as opposed to the exclusive partition that games normally run in. It gives you an idea of the sort of games that will be possible when using the Xbox Live Creators Program — since those games will be restricted to using the shared partition only.

TheSeks

I'll PM you my gamertag by I had to cancel the LFG. Phantom Dust won't open on my Xbox anymore, keeps bringing me to the store page.

Well, lemme know when you're good. I'd like to get the Tag Team ones.

Zedox

Only tried for like 30 minutes, but the tone of this game seems simultaneously goofy and serious. It is both somewhat quaint and dull, I both like it and don't. It does feel quite like a culty Xbox game. It's interesting, I will keep playing.

My guy is named Beard. Was thinking of hitting "no" forever, but was afraid I'd miss when it peaked.
Characters look like dopey muppets. The player character also sounds like one.
Edgar appears to suck.

No, just, I have no interest in financially supporting Microsoft's PC effort. I'd be hoisting myself.

Financially supporting a free game? Wow. Well whatever floats your boat. Shame ur missing out on a good free title cuz of MS ambitions. Lol

TheSeks

Ah, I had no idea they'd been improved. I played a few Quick Battle matches by accident, and I was surprised that the builds seemed way better than I had remembered.

I still don't like that mode, and I can't play anything else in the multiplayer (until I beat the single-player I guess?) sucks.

I still don't like that mode, and I can't play anything else in the multiplayer (until I beat the single-player I guess?) sucks.

I still prefer standard matches too, but the quick match builds are actually quite playable and fun now.

Not sure why you need to wait though, I've been playing standard matches and I'm not even to chapter 3 yet. To be fair, last night I did spend $8 to get one of every skill in the game, but I was playing standard even before that.

TheSeks

Not sure why you need to wait though, I've been playing standard matches and I'm not even to chapter 3 yet. To be fair, last night I did spend $8 to get one of every skill in the game, but I was playing standard even before that.

Not sure why either. I have nothing but "DO NOT" symbols near all the other options and I refuse to play "random deck in battle against another random deck" modes, as I like to know what I'm "piloting."

Jawmuncher

Can anyone who has these achievements explain them to me? The trueachievements hints don't really clarify what I should be looking for.

Case Diverseity - Own at least one of each arsenal case type

Three time the fun - win a match with a three-school arsenal

channeling your ki (And all other similar ones) - win a match with a single school ki arsenal

Yes I think that's about right, 114 missions - it takes less time now because you can skip the harder missions after failing 3 times (used to take new players ~20 hours)

Thanks.

Can anyone who has these achievements explain them to me? The trueachievements hints don't really clarify what I should be looking for.

Case Diverseity - Own at least one of each arsenal case type

Three time the fun - win a match with a three-school arsenal

channeling your ki (And all other similar ones) - win a match with a single school ki arsenal
I don't have them yet, but they are easy to explain.

The default arsenal case allows two different schools (types) of skills. As the story progresses you'll also get access to cases for one and three schools. (Both affect your aura regeneration as the trade-off. One-school cases recharge faster, three-school slower.)

So you won't be able to unlock those achievements until you can buy the other case types.

Jawmuncher

I don't have them yet, but they are easy to explain.

The default arsenal case allows two different schools (types) of skills. As the story progresses you'll also get access to cases for one and three schools. (Both affect your aura regeneration as the trade-off. One-school cases recharge faster, three-school slower.)

So you won't be able to unlock those achievements until you can buy the other case types.

When you're editing your deck how can you tell which arsenal type you're looking at

No matter what settings I use, I can't get into any OptiMatch on PC. Every room I try to get into keeps me in "Joining..." screen for about 30 seconds, and then the game always displays "Could not find a session. Press A to continue" error message (even though the room is still there and waiting for more players to join). There's no indication of what's going wrong, it's just insanely frustrating

Jawmuncher

The dots. The default is a | looking connection. 3 is L connection. One is just a dot.

You'll have to excuse me, i'm still not catching on.
Is it the dot by the infinite symbol?
dghf8zyu.png

EDIT: Beaten by better, but more explanation anyway.
You'll have to excuse me, i'm still not catching on.
Is it the dot by the infinite symbol?
dghf8zyu.png

No, it's at the top of the arsenal. Check out the pictures here, specifically the top left of each arsenal. All them have an icon that is two dots connected to each other, that means they are two-school arsenals.

The top right shows what specific schools of skill each arsenal uses.

Top Bottom