• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer comments on the leaks and semi confirms Halo 2 Anniversary?

Chettlar

Banned
Would not mind hearing an updated version of In Amber Clad

Ouch that sounds bad. Higher quality won't fix that either. The electric guitars sound particularly bad, actually. Really ugly sound.

Please record the score with a real orchestra, 343 (or Saber or Microsoft or whoever decides that)!!!! As long as the tracks are the same, I'm pretty sure purists would be able to take a rerecording. That MIDI just sounds bad.

Remember, updated quality sound and music is just as important as updated graphics.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Well, I imagine it's a profitable venture - Sony does it and continues to do it with their first-party titles (and I'm glad that they do) and Microsoft looks like they are about to start doing it with their major franchises (Halo Annniversary, Fable Anniversary, we'll probably see a Gears Anniversary at some point). With that said, I wouldn't mind if Microsoft just focused on the campaigns of those games to get people up to speed on the stories for their new games, but since Halo 5 isn't releasing until next year then it would make sense to make Halo 2 multiplayer available again.

As for what Bungie thinks about it - I can't speak for them, but I would imagine they aren't really focused on Halo at all at this point. I think Destiny is going to be a franchise they value more than Halo since they'll always own it.

With Gears likely slated for 2016, I expect a Gears anniversary next year. I would welcome it with open arms!

It would be pretty neat to have a more transparent game company whether it be Microsoft sony or Nintendo.

I know people like the surprises, but still. It would be interesting if they were open and told us the projects they have.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I really don't think Gears needs an "Anniversary." Maybe an HD trilogy port, but that's it.

Though yes I would totally be all over that.

1080p 60fps ports of the campaigns of all 4 games (maybe 3 if MS wants to pretend Judgment never existed) even without improved textures would be OK for me. Just include Gears 3 multiplayer and I'd be happy.

Chettlar

Banned
1080p 60fps ports of the campaigns of all 4 games (maybe 3 if MS wants to pretend Judgment never existed) even without improved textures would be OK for me. Just include Gears 3 multiplayer and I'd be happy.

It had also better have Gears 3 Horde too, or very seriously no buy. Best part of gears imo. 2's horde was good, but 3 really perfected it.

KissVibes

Banned
I'm really glad Microsoft is doing these re-releases the right way. Not just simply bumping up the resolution and shipping it, but actually redoing the entire game visually and some of the audio.

I hope they leave in the feature to switch back and forth between old and new. That shit was so cool in Halo Anniversary.

Sony should take some cues for sure.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'm really glad Microsoft is doing these re-releases the right way. Not just simply bumping up the resolution and shipping it, but actually redoing the entire game visually and some of the audio.

I hope they leave in the feature to switch back and forth between old and new. That shit was so cool in Halo Anniversary.

Yeah, I like it for the OG Xbox titles, but I hope they don't do it this way for Gears. The Gears games all came out for 360 and relatively close to each other, so I feel a collection or trilogy would be better for setting up people for the coming sequel.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
With Gears likely slated for 2016, I expect a Gears anniversary next year. I would welcome it with open arms!

It might also depend on whether or not Microsoft is going to do anything with the current Gears story. They could do a total reboot and just try and relaunch the franchise with a story built for easier storytelling.

With that said, I would welcome any classic Xbox franchise (original Xbox or 360) to be rereleased or remade on Xbox One. I think this is honestly better than backwards compatibility if it means that I can get somewhat of a new experience playing that classic game (updated graphics, better framerate, resolution, etc.). Halo: CE Anniversary needs to be ported to the Xbox One though. For real.

Chettlar

Banned

Halo 2 really does not need that. The game is ugly as poop, and hasn't aged well at all. I'd rather them not be restricted like they were in Halo CE. Halo CE deserved to have that feature, because it still looks very well today.

Besides, I'd rather they not do that with Halo 2. Classic mode in Halo CE didn't even look that good since they got rid of things like fog and things.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
It might also depend on whether or not Microsoft is going to do anything with the current Gears story. They could do a total reboot and just try and relaunch the franchise with a story built for easier storytelling.

With that said, I would welcome any classic Xbox franchise (original Xbox or 360) to be rereleased or remade on Xbox One. I think this is honestly better than backwards compatibility if it means that I can get somewhat of a new experience playing that classic game (updated graphics, better framerate, resolution, etc.). Halo: CE Anniversary needs to be ported to the Xbox One though. For real.

I never really accounted for a reboot. Do you think it's too soon for a reboot, though?

More ports makes me happy, though, but only if the gameplay holds up. That is key.

Chettlar

Banned

I have to admit I rather agree. In PC games, you can always make games look better, which is part of the appeal of PC's "infinite backwards compatibility." Consoles games, like we've seen on the Wii U, rarely get visual upgrades with backwards compatibility, so there isn't much point.

However, these kinds of things need to be priced reasonably. $30 for Halo 2 Anni and $40-50 for the War bundle seems fair I think. I mean, they are older games.

Halo: CE Anniversary needs to be ported to the Xbox One though. For real.

YES! Perhaps they could port the origins bundle to Xbox One, but this time with CE's multiplayer redone to match the original. I would buy that so hard.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I never really accounted for a reboot. Do you think it's too soon for a reboot, though?

I'm not sure. I don't really know where the story can go from where Gears 3 left off. Unlike Halo 3, Gears 3 ended the future point of that series pretty definitively. They could always tell stories of the Pendulum Wars and whatnot, but it seems to me that it would almost be better to just completely reboot the series entirely. The only reason I think they may go the reboot route is because of Spencer's comment on Gears needing to take a break (I believe it was Spencer who said this) and if they did do a reboot then they wouldn't want to remake or port the older games if the story was completely separate.

I have to admit I rather agree. In PC games, you can always make games look better, which is part of the appeal of PC's "infinite backwards compatibility." Consoles games, like we've seen on the Wii U, rarely get visual upgrades with backwards compatibility, so there isn't much point.

Yeah, PC is different and I never really used console backwards compatibility that much. However, what I did do with Halo: CE Anniversary is play it and I got my money's worth out of it. That was the most I played out of the original Halo last gen, I believe. It was a fresh take on an old game and something that normal console backwards compatibility doesn't allow.

Chettlar

Banned
I'm not sure. I don't really know where the story can go from where Gears 3 left off. Unlike Halo 3, Gears 3 ended the future point of that series pretty definitively. They could always tell stories of the Pendulum Wars and whatnot, but it seems to me that it would almost be better to just completely reboot the series entirely. The only reason I think they may go the reboot route is because of Spencer's comment on Gears needing to take a break (I believe it was Spencer who said this) and if they did do a reboot then they wouldn't want to remake or port the older games if the story was completely separate.

Yeah, PC is different and I never really used console backwards compatibility that much. However, what I did do with Halo: CE Anniversary is play it and I got my money's worth out of it. That was the most I played out of the original Halo last gen, I believe. It was a fresh take on an old game and something that normal console backwards compatibility doesn't allow.

It's funny because I've always been a huge proponent of backwards compatibility, but idk, just the different light you put that in makes me think differently.

Still, if we could have both (BC and remakes, like last gen), that would be ideal imo.

wwm0nkey

So yeah I completely forgot Microsoft had a spring showcase. Should be st the end of the month if it's like last year's.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can't believe his Halo 2 thing is real. If that is their Halo game for XB1 this year...... so much disappoint.

One of the best multiplayer games of all time being updated for 2014 with the original multiplayer? That gives me goosebumps. I'll take it in a heartbeat as long as it's true to form.

Mr Buddy

What maps are you guys hoping are updated and included in this? I'm crossing my fingers for ascension, and the ever glorious blood gulch/coagulation

Zornack

One of the best multiplayer games of all time being updated for 2014 with the original multiplayer? That gives me goosebumps. I'll take it in a heartbeat as long as it's true to form.

I'm with you, I'd much rather play Halo 2 than the sequel to the most disappointing Halo game (4), but I'm sure there are a ton of people who would prefer a new game over a rehash of an old one.

_woLf

All I can hope and pray for is that the multiplayer engine it uses is NOT based on Halo 4s. Port it's original engine with a few tweaks and you have my money.

udiie

All I can hope and pray for is that the multiplayer engine it uses is NOT based on Halo 4s. Port it's original engine with a few tweaks and you have my money.

Yeah, second this. Personally I'd even be okay with HD up-res of the original with a rock solid 60 FPS and original engine feel. Guarantee buy from me.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
companies have been doing this, especially internally to "soften the blow" of big news, for as long as i've been paying attention... a long time.

This partly jumped to mind when the guy was posting here, all the disappointment over the X1 Halo game this year actually being Halo 2. I guess them saying the 2014 Halo being 60FPS doesn't mean much now if they were referring to Halo 2.

Some people are excited for it, some are utterly disappointed, and by it leaking early MS might have lost some surprise news at E3 but they also sidestepped what was bound to end up as a big fuss with topics about them "lying" to us since last years E3.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wahrer said:
The crystalline compound is known colloquially as "blamite," which has only been found in mines on a moon orbiting the Elite homeworld. It relies on chemical reactions to trace organic signatures, and when a certain number of needles penetrate a target (usually 7), the chemical reactions have a harmonic effect that exponentially increases the explosive damage.

As for the reload mechanics and whatnot, the temperature of Blamite's never been explained - but it's been theorized that the Needler works like a glorified play-doh spaghetti maker. That is, a large singular crystal is placed in a centralized magazine, said crystal is superheated, at which point it reverts to a semisolid and is forcibly threaded through the visible holes atop the gun. Upon protrusion, the needles immediately cool and retain their shape.

A bit of supplementary material from Reach reveals that most Covenant weapons shouldn't even work, though - triggers aren't even physically connected to their firing mechanisms. It's possible that the guns don't completely exist in dimensions visible to us - since Covenant tech is largely descended from jailbroken Forerunner technology, they might be employing "cloud storage" for weapon components, but in the physical realm.
its subzero at a starbucks now

What the fuck I was just kidding about the needler having lore but the needler actually has lore

jq5D9jVXRXat2.png

There's no way he would say this if all of the rumors were false.

No way he would even acknowledge this if the poster wasn't a plant. Really disappointed if it all ends up being true. There would only be two exclusive games I'd be interested in going into 2016 (Gears, FH) and maybe Platinum whatever their game is. And having the worse next gen multiplats to boot makes the library pretty bleak.

I wish the leaks contained more IP's. That would generate so much more hype with having the unknown factor. It's pretty much the status quo

Estocolmo

You know one good thing about these anniversary editions is that you are finally able to play the co-op online, instead of the previous versions being restricted to offline co-op only. I never played Halo 2 co-op because i didn't have any friends interested in it, but I'm glad that Halo 2 anniversary will make this easier us lone-wolfs :)

One aspect that I have a lot of questions is the single-player compartment of Halo 2. The general opinion about Halo 2 single player is that its the weakest of the series. I thought it was a huge letdown compared to the first game and especially compared to the E3 trailer. That was worse than what they did with Aliens Colonial Marines.

10.jpg

h2_e3_08.jpg

Halo 1 Anniversary just had bumped up graphics but the core gameplay was untouched. I don't think that Halo 2 single player is going to work as good today as Halo1 single player does today. I hope they make big gameplay improvements on the single player part.

Unity2012

I would welcome any classic Xbox franchise (original Xbox or 360) to be rereleased or remade on Xbox One. I think this is honestly better than backwards compatibility if it means that I can get somewhat of a new experience playing that classic game (updated graphics, better framerate, resolution, etc.). Halo: CE Anniversary needs to be ported to the Xbox One though. For real.

Yes! It would be Amazing to see Halo CE polished one more time for the Xbox One generation.

Ouch that sounds bad. Higher quality won't fix that either. The electric guitars sound particularly bad, actually. Really ugly sound.

Please record the score with a real orchestra, 343 (or Saber or Microsoft or whoever decides that)!!!! As long as the tracks are the same, I'm pretty sure purists would be able to take a rerecording. That MIDI just sounds bad.

Remember, updated quality sound and music is just as important as updated graphics.

The midi isn't good, but please god no, the last thing Halo needs is a boring straight orchestral version. The eclectic instrumentation is half of what made the original OSTs so amazing.

def sim

I wonder if they're going to bother licensing the Breaking Benjamin song for that elite/brute section towards the end.

Shinsky

They reorchestrated CEA so it would surprise me if they didn't do the same for Halo 2 Anniversary.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. IF the rumor was indeed true about Halo 2 coming with a port of 3 & 4 then they should also port Halo Anniversary too so that you have all the mainline games together on one console.

They reorchestrated CEA so it would surprise me if they didn't do the same for Halo 2 Anniversary.

It wasn't very good, either. Some of the tracks had the life completely sucked out of them. Some of them had completely unnecessary extra ~EPIC~ vocals and strings added to them (Bravery, Brotherhood sticks out here), or replaced aged MIDI effects with equally shitty MIDI effects. Part of what makes Marty's music so interesting is his idiosyncratic instrumentation.

Halo 1 Anniversary wasn't as disappointing as Halo 4's OST, but I was pretty bummed when I heard it.

Top Bottom