• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer comments on the leaks and semi confirms Halo 2 Anniversary?

Shinsky

It wasn't very good, either. Some of the tracks had the life completely sucked out of them. Some of them had completely unnecessary extra ~EPIC~ vocals and strings added to them (Bravery, Brotherhood sticks out here), or replaced aged MIDI effects with equally shitty MIDI effects. Part of what makes Marty's music so interesting is his idiosyncratic instrumentation.

Halo 1 Anniversary wasn't as disappointing as Halo 4's OST, but I was pretty bummed when I heard it.

As much as I love Marty's work, I believe the instrumentation of 4's OST was much more idiosyncratic than the previous games.

Chettlar

Banned
The midi isn't good, but please god no, the last thing Halo needs is a boring straight orchestral version. The eclectic instrumentation is half of what made the original OSTs so amazing.

Um, who said they couldn't still have electronic music as well? Bro do you even Tron OST. Daft Punk had a electronic instruments as part of an otherwise real orchestra.

I'm just saying things like the strings need to not be synth, because it sounds, SO. BAD.

Barzul

No way he would even acknowledge this if the poster wasn't a plant. Really disappointed if it all ends up being true. There would only be two exclusive games I'd be interested in going into 2016 (Gears, FH) and maybe Platinum whatever their game is. And having the worse next gen multiplats to boot makes the library pretty bleak.

I wish the leaks contained more IP's. That would generate so much more hype with having the unknown factor. It's pretty much the status quo

ntkrnl didn't leak all the games MS has planned and he was right not to do so. We should be able to be surprised at E3. No leak comes close to an unexpected revelation from an E3 trailer.

Chettlar

Banned
As much as I love Marty's work, I believe the instrumentation of 4's OST was much more idiosyncratic than the previous games.

If you mean by idiosyncratic what I think you mean, then no, Marty's was much more so. Neither were honestly that good in reality, but Marty's work was distinct. Davidge's work was just kind of...music and...stuff. Not bad, but not very distinct at all.

No way he would even acknowledge this if the poster wasn't a plant. Really disappointed if it all ends up being true. There would only be two exclusive games I'd be interested in going into 2016 (Gears, FH) and maybe Platinum whatever their game is. And having the worse next gen multiplats to boot makes the library pretty bleak.

I wish the leaks contained more IP's. That would generate so much more hype with having the unknown factor. It's pretty much the status quo

What is with everybody saying this? He repeatedly said there was much more he wasn't talking about.

And seriously, if you think about it, he really did really leak hardly anything. White Xbox, some release dates, Halo 2A, and projected release dates for Gears and Platinum's game. That's hardly anything; there's clearly much more to come.

Shinsky

If you mean by idiosyncratic what I think you mean, then no, Marty's was much more so. Neither were honestly that good in reality, but Marty's work was distinct. Davidge's work was just kind of...music and...stuff. Not bad, but not very distinct at all.

Instrumentation wise Davidge's work was much more diverse. He did have a fair amount of the standard orchestral feel, but he included many great moments using some unique synths and other effects. Marty just used the classic orchestral instrumentation (with the exception of ODST and some guitar pieces).

It was Neil Davidge doing his best Hans Zimmer drum n' strings impression with occasional synth pads. It sounds like every big blockbuster soundtrack from the past six years.

Um, who said they couldn't still have electronic music as well? Bro do you even Tron OST. Daft Punk had a electronic instruments as part of an otherwise real orchestra.

I'm just saying things like the strings need to not be synth, because it sounds, SO. BAD.

:lol, I've heard of Tron Legacy, thanks. When you said orchestral, I thought you mean, you know, entirely orchestral.

I'm still not a fan of redoing the soundtrack if it means a Halo 2 remaster around the same quality level as Halo Anniversary's "remastered" soundtrack. Breaking Benjamin and Incubus bullshit aside, Halo 2 has some of the best music in the series.

Shinsky

It was Neil Davidge doing his best Hans Zimmer drum n' strings impression with occasional synth pads. It sounds like every big blockbuster soundtrack from the past six years.

:lol, I've heard of Tron Legacy, thanks. When you said orchestral, I thought you mean, you know, entirely orchestral.

I'm still not a fan of redoing the soundtrack if it means a Halo 2 remaster around the same quality level as Halo Anniversary's "remastered" soundtrack. Breaking Benjamin and Incubus bullshit aside, Halo 2 has some of the best music in the series.

There is a large difference from someone using "synth-pads" and one who is skilled at using real synths.

Chettlar

Banned
Instrumentation wise Davidge's work was much more diverse. He did have a fair amount of the standard orchestral feel, but he included many great moments using some unique synths and other effects. Marty just used the classic orchestral instrumentation (with the exception of ODST and some guitar pieces).

Just because you can use synth well (which Davidge would, coming from where he does) doesn't mean you have musical talent. It just means you have sound design talent, and those two are two separate things.

I've had several people tell me Green and Blue was a masterpiece. It's not. It really, really isn't. Davidge doesn't seem to understand -- now I'm blank for the term. It has to do with doing things in sets. If you're in 4/4 time, you do things in set's of four. If you're in 3/4 time, you do things in sets of 3 or 6 (since 3/4 time is also technically 6/8 time as well). Green and Blue just kind of goes, and then goes, and then goes, and it's like, dude stop. Move on to the next part. Oh, ok, that part was pretty good now...you just left it hanging. Where were you going with that? It very much plays more like an improve piece. It's got a good theme and stuff, but he just didn't follow through with it at all. He doesn't seem to understand music and how structured good music is. It's like he just wrote what felt best at the time as per emotions and what was going on onscreen.

If you say he couldn't have a perfectly set score because he had to match what was going on between Chief and Cortana, then that is an issue with the directing. If you'll listen to a lot of OSTs by writers like Zimmer, Williams, etc., you'll notice that they still follow the rules and timing, etc. of good classical music, and yet still match up with what is going on on the screen. If Davidge could not have done this, then either he or the people directing the scene have some things they need to learn.

Shinsky

Just because you can use synth well (which Davidge would, coming from where he does) doesn't mean you have musical talent. It just means you have sound design talent, and those two are two separate things.

I've had several people tell me Green and Blue was a masterpiece. It's not. It really, really isn't. Davidge doesn't seem to understand -- now I'm blank for the term. It has to do with doing things in sets. If you're in 4/4 time, you do things in set's of four. If you're in 3/4 time, you do things in sets of 3 or 6 (since 3/4 time is also technically 6/8 time as well). Green and Blue just kind of goes, and then goes, and then goes, and it's like, dude stop. Move on to the next part. Oh, ok, that part was pretty good now...you just left it hanging. Where were you going with that? It very much plays more like an improve piece. It's got a good theme and stuff, but he just didn't follow through with it at all. He doesn't seem to understand music and how structured good music is. It's like he just wrote what felt best at the time as per emotions and what was going on onscreen.

If you say he couldn't have a perfectly set score because he had to match what was going on between Chief and Cortana, then that is an issue with the directing. If you'll listen to a lot of OSTs by writers like Zimmer, Williams, etc., you'll notice that they still follow the rules and timing, etc. of good classical music, and yet still match up with what is going on on the screen. If Davidge could not have done this, then either he or the people directing the scene have some things they need to learn.

I am not saying that he performed it well, scored it well, or even if it was a good soundtrack. I am just saying that INSTRUMENTATION wise, it is a much more diverse collection of work than the previous Halo soundtracks.

Chettlar

Banned
btw, double post, Shinsky. Try to avoid that by editing your comments instead. Just thread etiquette that you'll probably get called out about sometime in the future :)

I am not saying that he performed it well, scored it well, or even if it was a good soundtrack. I am just saying that INSTRUMENTATION wise, it is a much more diverse collection of work than the previous Halo soundtracks.

Sure, you're right, it's better, but to be perfectly honest, that isn't saying a whole lot. Marty really isn't a gifted composer. He's just really. really. smart. Davidge's work was better, but just not anything that is special.

Halo needs somebody who actually understands how music works.

Personally, for a future installment into the Halo series, I would recommend Hans Zimmer, and I have several reasons for doing so. Everybody's going to be like "OH NO NOT THE DARK KNIGHT IN HALO." but no, guys, seriously. You know deep down it wouldn't turn out like that. Zimmer's work is actually pretty diverse. I am NOT saying we should have him do it because oh he's so famous and a genius or whatever. If that was the case I'd pick John Williams, but honestly Williams would not work. I love John Powell's work, but he would not work for Halo either. I AM saying that Zimmer should because he is excellent with Piano (Inception), Vocal (Angels and Demons), and African music (think just about every ethnical movie he's done), all of which are a central part of Halo's soundtrack. Second of all, Zimmer is incredibly good at taking something, respecting it, and mimicking it incredibly well. Look at Kung Fu Panda (actually an excellent, excellent OST) and The Last Samurai. Zimmer has never studied Asian music, and yet he was told by professionals that his music followed all the rules of such perfectly. He'd be expensive, but damn if it wouldn't be worth it, imo. I've got several more reasons for suggesting him that I won't go into right now.

Bsigg12

Only way they can recover from the damage they did last year.

I feel that between the backlash and Mattrick leaving, Xbox as a brand is on the up after finally figuring out what the hell they were doing. The Xbox One will forever be a flawed system because of terrible decisions in the creation of the system but it doesn't mean the team now can't make the system a great piece of hardware with a great catalog. It'll take awhile for most people to get over the shit show that was 2013 for Microsoft but I think they'll turn out just fine, losing a portion of their marketshare to Sony though.

Shinsky

Halo needs somebody who actually understands how music works.

I think it is an insult to say they don't know how music works, the trick is using the music correctly.

I would recommend Hans Zimmer

I see where you are going and I think it definitely can work. But he wouldn't be my choice, I just think they need to take big risks (bigger than getting Zimmer) to really get something special. They tried that in 4 with various degrees of success (depending on who you ask) and I thought the risk was a good one.

But to bring this back on topic I don't think we should expect anything above re orchestration for 2 Anniversary. They just need to keep it classic to best accent the improved visuals.

Chettlar

Banned
I think it is an insult to say they don't know how music works, the trick is using the music correctly.p

It's really, really hard to explain what I mean by that statement to somebody who doesn't already know. By understand I mean, like, "know." As in, a kind of intimate, working, knowledge. Being comfortable enough with music to just be able to sit down and do what you want with it. Davidge struck me as the kind of person who doesn't "know" music. It's really difficult to explain.

I see where you are going and I think it definitely can work. But he wouldn't be my choice, I just think they need to take big risks (bigger than getting Zimmer) to really get something special. They tried that in 4 with various degrees of success (depending on who you ask) and I thought the risk was a good one.

But to bring this back on topic I don't think we should expect anything above re orchestration for 2 Anniversary. They just need to keep it classic to best accent the improved visuals.

I think at this point anybody is a risk. I mainly suggest Zimmer because I know he is very respectful of the stuff he does and will spend inordinate amounts of time and energy trying to get things just right to respect the material. I mean just look at how he went out and spent a while trying to find a piano to get just the right sound for Sherlock Holmes. That's what we need with a composer from Halo.

I'd like to see him do at least one mainline entry into the series.

EDIT: Also, it's not as if Zimmer had to do the whole thing himself. He has done hardly any video game music, so it's pretty much a given he would be working with somebody more experienced in the industry. He's worked with Lorne Balfe before, who is also pretty good (though not for Halo; I really wouldn't have Balfe do that)

jq5D9jVXRXat2.png

There's no way he would say this if all of the rumors were false.

Then again why would he shoot down a rumor that's creating a lot of hype?

ntkrnl didn't leak all the games MS has planned and he was right not to do so. We should be able to be surprised at E3. No leak comes close to an unexpected revelation from an E3 trailer.

What is with everybody saying this? He repeatedly said there was much more he wasn't talking about.

And seriously, if you think about it, he really did really leak hardly anything. White Xbox, some release dates, Halo 2A, and projected release dates for Gears and Platinum's game. That's hardly anything; there's clearly much more to come.

Makes sense. I don't know why I assumed everything was leaked, probably because it was so much to begin with. I presume Forza 6 will be 2015 title since it seems it will be in a yearly rotation with Horizon.

Chettlar

Banned
Makes sense. I don't know why I assumed everything was leaked, probably because it was so much to begin with. I presume Forza 6 will be 2015 title since it seems it will be in a yearly rotation with Horizon.

It's the way he did it. Most leakers leak little ity bity things at a time. Ntkrnl's just like "I don't even know what ambiguity means" and just starts dropping bombs. Relatively, compared to other leaks, it was a lot, but in the grand scheme of things it was really a small amount.

And I can totally dig the Horizon/Motorsport every other year thing. I love Horizon, and it isn't as if there's a whole lot going on in creating a new racing game. Two years is ample time, me thinks.

Actually what would be great is if they released Horizon this year, PGR next year, and then Forza Motorsport 6 in 2016, mainly because series fatigue and stuff on motorsport's part.

Then again why would he shoot down a rumor that's creating a lot of hype?

Um, because it would create tons of backlash once people found it was unfounded. Nobody would blame Microsoft, but then you'd have people being all like "See, MS is a horrible company because they won't release Halo 2A." If these rumors are false, then MS would do best to kill them early. The fact that they aren't and are being extremely ambiguous and even hinting positively about the whole thing gives me hope.

A lot of people are jumping to the conclusion that a Halo 2 Anniversary automatically means Halo 2 multiplayer will be back.

IIRC the rumor was H2:A with a beta for Halo 5 (presumably Halo 5 multiplayer beta).

If you recall, Halo CE:A did not include the original CE's multiplayer, so there is no reason to expect a Halo 2 remake to include Halo 2's multiplayer.

Some people set their hopes really high here.

wwm0nkey

A lot of people are jumping to the conclusion that a Halo 2 Anniversary automatically means Halo 2 multiplayer will be back.

IIRC the rumor was H2:A with a beta for Halo 5 (presumably Halo 5 multiplayer beta).

If you recall, Halo CE:A did not include the original CE's multiplayer, so there is no reason to expect a Halo 2 remake to include Halo 2's multiplayer.

343 even knows there is no point in doing a Halo 2 remake without the MP. SP might have had good universe building but its ultimately pointless without the MP.

Also original leak said it will have MP with some extra stuff added in this time around.

E92 M3

343 even knows there is no point in doing a Halo 2 remake without the MP. SP might have had good universe building but its ultimately pointless without the MP.

Also original leak said it will have MP with some extra stuff added in this time around.

No need for extra stuff, just a fresh coat of paint and most of us will be happy :p. I am sure.

Well hell if it has the original MP but with modern XBL versus the XBL service we had circa 2004 that would be a site to behold. Still, I won't get my hopes up for now.

wwm0nkey

Well hell if it has the original MP but with modern XBL versus the XBL service we had circa 2004 that would be a site to behold. Still, I won't get my hopes up for now.

Seems like we will only have to wait around 30-45 days to find out :)
*If Microsoft does their spring showcase again.

monome

Halo 2 HD will feature Armor Abilities in MP and the SP story will feature canonical rewrites by Karen Traviss.

I think 343 are aware that CE and H2 are two different entities.

CE defined the Single Player world of Halo. Most people played the multiplayer either via splitscreen or LAN, but it wasn't an Xbox Live title, so those experiences are not as widely known.

Halo 2 DEFINED Xbox Live in 2004. It was the king for many many years. The Multiplayer is loved by the majority of the fanbase, and 343 know this.

The game is not going to come without the Multiplayer if it ever does come. The backlash would be horrific.

You didn't honestly expect that the E3 2013 CGI trailer we saw would amount to anything this year, did you? No gameplay, not mention of betas, nothing afterwards. Halo 5 is 2015, for sure, unless it encounters some development hiccups. Of all the 'exclusives' revealed, I'd say maybe Quantum Break and Insomniac's game hits this year. Oh and that world-building thing is already in alpha or something isn't it?
You mean the CGI trailer that had 2014 on it, not to mention 343i's logo? Yes clearly nothing Halo related intended for 2014.

monome

A fate worse than death

what do you expect...?

Halo 2 Anniversary is a nightmare disguised as a gift.

Halo 4 assets or completely redone graphics?
How do you make canon the Chief's ability to forget to dual wield?
How do you compete against COD/Battlefield/Titanfall/Destiny with 10 years old maps/features?
How do you align the graphics/designs for Halo2/3/4?

and my #1 embarassment : the fuck I'm going back to not finishing the fight, eventually finishing it with a "simple" HD port, then start a new "HDer" fight that may or may not be a trilogy but rather an ongoing epic cross-media space adventure (with a tint of Love+ virtual dating / saving the princess) when basically we are clamoring for 343i to go back to the drawing board for Halo 5?

Akai__

what do you expect...?

A remake of Halo 2 and not a remastered Halo 2 game, which is Halo 4 v2.

Halo 4 assets or completely redone graphics?

Both would be fine, but I guess if Saber Interactive is doing the graphics, like they did with Halo CEA, they will be redone.

How do you make canon the Chief's ability to forget to dual wield?

Who cares about canon?

How do you compete against COD/Battlefield/Titanfall/Destiny with 10 years old maps/features?

Halo 2 has much more potential to compete with any of those, then Halo 4 has. Halo 2 was, where MLG started and people loved the competition. When the Xbox 360 released, those people stayed on the OG Xbox and played it, like there wasn't a new console.

How do you align the graphics/designs for Halo2/3/4?

Who cares? It's not of any importance and as long as it looks good and like Halo, people will not really lose their mind.

Answers in bold.

Marty is a pretty simple composer in my opinion which is ok but the production has to be top notch to make it dynamic. Take Hans Zimmer for example I have yet to hear a technically complex composition but the production quality is through the roof and then some. Neil davidge did some interesting things with the production but nothing ever caught my attention. I have listened to it several times and thought the production was superb but the music itself was seriously lacking.

If halo 2 doesn't have old school multiplayer I'm not buying it. I'm a huge halo fan and will not support that nonsense. There is no player base to split up. Do the right thing MS or pay the price.

Chettlar

Banned

Um, ntkrnl said the game, and when I questioned further, he mentioned campaign. I don't think he ever mentioned changing multiplayer. In fact other than that there will be multiplayer, I don't think he really said anything.

E92 M3

Theater mode would be godly though. Also official support for the Zombie game mode too.

I'd be impressed if they could retroactively implement theater mode. In terms of the Zombie game mode, I never played those types of matches and feel rather ambivalent. Most importantly, it's vital for them to not mess with the formula if they're sticking to Halo 2 mp. I'd kill for a standard 4v4 team slayer on Lockout. The nostalgic hit alone would probably make me lose the first match lol.

I'd be impressed if they could retroactively implement theater mode. In terms of the Zombie game mode, I never played those types of matches and feel rather ambivalent. Most importantly, it's vital for them to not mess with the formula if they're sticking to Halo 2 mp. I'd kill for a standard 4v4 team slayer on Lockout. The nostalgic hit alone would probably make me lose the first match lol.
4v4 slayer on lockout sounds so good.

Chettlar

Banned
I really think Theatre is one of the most important things they can put in the game, for both campaign and multiplayer. Halo has a great way of helping these really cool things to happen that never happen again, and getting to record those is always awesome.

Also, a spectator mode returning could be cool.

please just give us the original halo 2 multiplayer. just as it was when the original servers were taken down. I don't really care for the Halo 2 single player. Worst Halo campaign out of all of the games if you ask me (except maybe Halo 4)

and add a map exploring sword/rocket glitch gametype for fun custom games. those were fun haha. I remember being able to consistently exit the map on Burial Mounds.

monome

This probably isn't worth a new thread, but Phil Spencer tweeted that Halo 2 is his favorite Halo game.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/437797536569376768

just an honest answer, or more hinting? we all know how Phil likes to tease.

there is no way H2A is not coming.

I still don't see how this game will manage to make its MP relevant to a substantial userbase with Titanfall (and its DLC) and Destiny released when it comes up.

Battlefield/CoD around the corner.

And Sunset Overdrive being a MP oriented game and a big MS exclusive.

there is no way H2A is not coming.

I still don't see how this game will manage to make its MP relevant to a substantial userbase with Titanfall (and its DLC) and Destiny released when it comes up.

Battlefield/CoD around the corner.

And Sunset Overdrive being a MP oriented game and a big MS exclusive.

Have they said that SO is going to have a big mp focus?

monome

Have they said that SO is going to have a big mp focus?

it's a community driven open-worldish TPS.

I don't expect the SP to be the focus, and I don't expect a traditionnal SP to begin with. The game seems to be about blowing things with an attitude.

Top Bottom