• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: DirectX 12 Not a “Massive Change” For Xbox One

Bsigg12

I really do think Microsoft needs to go bananas with their first party titles and offer some really unique stuff. Spencer understands the situation they're in and he's starting to position the system in a much smarter way than they ever did pre-launch.

onQ123

Smart people knew this already but some people are looking for that one thing to believe in that's going to make the Xbox One more powerful than the PS4 somehow.

Xbox One's API is already just as good as DX12 & maybe even better in some parts because it's an API for a closed box that shouldn't have to fit the needs of 100's of different setups.

Crazy that people thought the boosts that PC will get from DX12 were being interpreted as Xbox one getting it as well but don't realize that consoles aren't suffering the same issue to begin with.

It's a boost in efficiency though and all games will look/perform better. That's what should have been, not DX12 will bring parity, blow ps4 out the water PR.

curb

Banned
Don't forget the CNN illuminati Sony conspiracy to brainwash people and good guy Microsoft who wants to set us free. Madness like that is liberating because it makes me feel sane. It's a calibration for sanity.

Regardless, no one except the devotes was expecting this to be the second coming. It's refreshing to see something understated for once.

Those are my favorite posts. All media journalists are paid by Sony and spew anti-MS propaganda. Cause, you know, Sony has that kind of money to throw around these days.

Also, I took a look at the comments on his latest posts and I can see a few deflated hearts about the Phil quote. Lot's of fierce denial about the Dualshockers article until "oh, he actually said that on Twitter".

I really do think Microsoft needs to go bananas with their first party titles and offer some really unique stuff. Spencer understands the situation they're in and he's starting to position the system in a much smarter way than they ever did pre-launch.

I'd love to see all sorts of crazy shit like during Dreamcast and original Xbox days. Just throw all that creative stuff out there and see what sticks.

LordOfChaos

People thought it would double the GPUs efficiency? Wat?

The XBO already had a close to the metal API, didn't it? DX12 just combines aspects of that with high level programming, the pure close-to-metal programmed games will probably not see much improvement. The devs using DX11 will though I guess.

Pooya

That could be a very good approach for 1st party projects if things were going well, in their current situation I'd say they need to work on big titles that can turn some heads on a larger scale, which tend to be expensive and games with mass appeal, though "risky" projects can become a hit too but far less often and on a smaller scale. Games like Scalebound or even Sunset Overdrive can be really cool and good games but I'm not sure they will have much or any impact. I'd suggest working on projects that can change the poor public image of the platform around graphic capabilities for one, there is not currently any thing coming up. If you want to look back at previous examples of troubled platfroms somewhat recovering, you can look at PS3. Games like God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 were quite well known for their big budgets at their time, right now those budgets might not look very high but still you get the idea what they were trying to do.

Looking back at previous Xbox platforms both had one such abig game at the beginning that could turn heads, Halo and Gears of War. This time around they don't have any. If Titanfall was supposed to be that, it's not even their game, sounds like some last minute planning there.

Bsigg12

The XBO already had a close to the metal API, didn't it? DX12 just combines aspects of that with high level programming, the pure close-to-metal programmed games will probably not see much improvement. The devs using DX11 will though I guess.

There is a whole blog, which I won't link, dedicated to proving the hidden Microsoft message and the Sony brainwash. It's a fantastic fan fic.

Toki767

What first party risks have they been taking with most games being a sequel?

Glad to see he isn't riding the whole DX12 will unlock magic train lots of people seem to be going on about though.

gruenel

Yeah, thanks to "articles" like this:

With relatively little effort by developers, upcoming Xbox One games, PC Games and Windows Phone games will see a doubling in graphics performance.

Suddenly, that Xbox One game that struggled at 720p will be able to reach fantastic performance at 1080p. For developers, this is a game changer.

http://www.neowin.net/news/directx-12-a-game-changer-for-xbox-one

Props to Phil for not bullshitting his customers.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The reboot of Killer Instinct was out there. Phantom Dust definitely fits the bill. It sold like shot and they're bringing it back.

Re-boots that are already brands recognised by consumers? The original IPs from Microsoft this gen have been: Ryse, Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive and Scalebound. All bought and payed for. They shut down Black Tusk's new IP to make a Gears of War sequel. I really think this is where Microsoft's studios need to improve the most.

The reboot of Killer Instinct was out there. Phantom Dust definitely fits the bill. It sold like shot and they're bringing it back.

Agreed.

Lots of new IPs: Ryse, LocoCycle, Crimson Dragon, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Scalebound, Ori and the Blind Forest, Titanfall (if you count third party exclusives)

Return to dead franchises: Killer Instinct, Zoo Tycoon, Dead Rising 3, Phantom Dust, Crackdown, Conker in Project Spark

None of those are exactly sure bets.

LordOfChaos

Yeah, thanks to "articles" like this:

http://www.neowin.net/news/directx-12-a-game-changer-for-xbox-one

Props to Phil for not bullshitting his customers.

I see. The saddest things about those clearly stupid articles is that they only exist because there's a large population that eats them up.

There was one a while ago that said the Wii U version of CoD would be the only 1080p version, because the other two consoles had issues with the cloud. Like, what? So much wrong with that.

RalchAC

I think that's a pretty appropriate view toward first party games.

The financial scale that third parties run at the top end doesn't work for single platform games. It makes more sense to focus on lower-to-mid-sized hits that obtain a specific audience.

Now, if you can still find big hits that don't break the bank even when selling 5+ million copies, that's great, but I can understand why you would be cautious about greenlighting a new $80-$100 million development + $80-$100 million marketing project if it's just going to be on Xbox One.

Yes, I think so too.

Still, developing games on a single platform should be cheaper than going the PS4/X1/PC route and first party publishers get more money for each copy they sell than third parties, since they own the hardware where they're releasing their game.

Sony and MS ask around 8-10 bucks per copy to 3rd parties, right?

Seanspeed

Banned
Now, this is what we should have got in the beginning, not that "CLOUD POWAHS!" bullshit, just proper explanations with no
PR sugarcoating, because that shit doesn't work when the people you're talking to, know what the console is capable of.
While its always refreshing to hear some straight up honesty, I think you're wrong that PR spin doesn't work. It does work, which is why they do it. Don't confuse the more technical minded gaming enthusiasts on GAF as representative of the average gamer. You really think that millions of gamers around the world know a damn thing about DX12 or low level API's?

LordOfChaos

While its always refreshing to hear some straight up honesty, I think you're wrong that PR spin doesn't work. It does work, which is why they do it. Don't confuse the more technical minded gaming enthusiasts on GAF as representative of the average gamer. You really think that millions of gamers around the world know a damn thing about DX12 or low level API's?

Exactly, like I said above, it's similar to the bullshit blogs existing because lots of people eat it up. A large companies PR person will be heard by what, hundreds of thousands of gamers? And then how many of those frequent Gaf or even more technical forums? Thousands maybe?

A perfect example is the Cell, towards the END of the PS3s life as a current gen console, people still thought it was better than Haswell parts because of theoretical numbers. People in the Athlon X2 era thought Pentium 4s were the best CPUs out there.

Honesty is the best PR.

I think that if someone like Spencer was at the helm from the outset, the value proposition might have been different. If they offered the current Xbox One offering that's bundled with Kinect but for $399 from launch, I think that even though the console isn't as powerful as the PS4 it would have been the better value proposition at the same price (less all the always-online, no-used-games Draconian DRM garbage, of course).

There also used to be a time when the first parties seemed to have the best games as well. It is important for first parties to take those risks. third parties are becoming so risk adverse that we may miss out on some big selling franchises unless the first parties make them exploring ideas that others deem too risky. Both of them have to be out in front on that and I think both are committed to doing so. That is why I find it so disappointing when Sony canceled Santa Monica's project because it was too similar to Destiny. Both were exploring an innovative idea that hadn't really been explored much by first or third parties. Who knows who would have implemented those innovative ideas better but Sony didn't want to step on any toes after spending all those resources on the game. It is what it is though.

Freeman

Banned
Re-boots that are already brands recognised by consumers? The original IPs from Microsoft this gen have been: Ryse, Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive and Scalebound. All bought and payed for. They shut down Black Tusk's new IP to make a Gears of War sequel. I really think this is where Microsoft's studios need to improve the most.
I also don't think they have ownership of any of those third-party IPs, that is terrible for thieir future.

Mask

Yeah, I understand that, but nowadays, more and more people are becoming more technically minded, and the
amount of people that PR speak works on is getting smaller and smaller, and there's always someone willing to
explain the more difficult topics in an easy to understand way.

But, yeah. Works on some people still. Just look at Misterxmedia, (If he isn't just faking it, that is.), living proof of believing PR.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Phil is really awesome. I love his honesty.

Nafai1123

Banned

I question the efficacy of dishonest PR spin in a world of globalized communication and social networking. It's easier than ever for those that don't know to hear the truth from those that do, even if they aren't necessarily looking for it.

RIP misterxmedia. I love my Xbox One, but those people are NUTS. They claim there is some hidden, secret GPU and every time it's supposed to "be revealed," the time comes and goes and he posts "oh, they must have extended the NDA."

Still though, even any boost, as small as it may be, is always good for the system.

Coxy

none of my friends would understand it, but they'd trust me to be the one that does and I dont buy the bullshit.

Phil is doing great, definitely continue down the path of blinding brilliance over baffling bullshit

Gator86

It's hard to keep track of all the magical secret sauce for the Xbox. It's some new shit every week. Was DX12 the last one or is there some other tweak that's supposed to double performance looming?

Sayers

RIP misterxmedia. I love my Xbox One, but those people are NUTS. They claim there is some hidden, secret GPU and every time it's supposed to "be revealed," the time comes and goes and he posts "oh, they must have extended the NDA."

Still though, even any boost, as small as it may be, is always good for the system.

Why would Microsoft impose an NDA on itself?

Brohan

I see that i am not the only one guilty of reading Misterxmedia's blog for some good laughs.

I wonder what kind of batshit insane theories he will come up with next now his DX12 theory has gone awry.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Misterxmedia, mistercteam and ''insider'' are all being written by one person? It so damn obvious when looking at the use of words and grammar.

Top Bottom