• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: DirectX 12 Not a “Massive Change” For Xbox One

Bundy

Banned
Damn, I fear for Tim Dogs health.
Poor guy is surely having a heart attack now ;(
Suicide watch is ticking.

GenericUser

Microsoft sounds like as if the smalles changes on the API at least gives the XBO a 10 to 20% performance bost. How much has the box been bosted since launch, 20%, 30%? Come on guys, first the cloud, now this. Trying to fool the kids? Might as well tell them you have a 512 Bit blast processor.

DX12 will mostly help GPUs that were designed with DX12 features in mind in the first place. So, it will likely only help the XB1 on a software level.

The "to the metal" API access really helps CPUs more than GPUs - so in that aspect, the XB1's CPU will benefit from less bogging down due to redundant API calls in DX12.

But at the end of the day, the XB1's GPU will always be the biggest "bottleneck" - you can't "patch" hardware, at least not without a soldering gun.

;)

I question the efficacy of dishonest PR spin in a world of globalized communication and social networking. It's easier than ever for those that don't know to hear the truth from those that do, even if they aren't necessarily looking for it.

Not sure about the video game industry, but political parties obviously still thrive off of it.

Lorul2

Smart people knew this already but some people are looking for that one thing to believe in that's going to make the Xbox One more powerful than the PS4 somehow.

Xbox One's API is already just as good as DX12 & maybe even better in some parts because it's an API for a closed box that shouldn't have to fit the needs of 100's of different setups.

Why would they change it then?

dr_rus

And the wait for DX13 begins.

Well, yes*.

If you have Windows 8.

Windows 9.
DX12 will need WDDM 2.0. They may patch it into W8.1 but somehow I doubt this considering that Win9 is rumored to be released in 1Q 2015 while DX12 is coming in 4Q 2015.

Bsigg12

By Spencer's own words Scalebound is "1st party" as well.

Interesting, they must own the IP then.

And the wait for DX13 begins.

Windows 9.
DX12 will need WDDM 2.0. They may patch it into W8.1 but somehow I doubt this considering that Win9 is rumored to be released in 1Q 2015 while DX12 is coming in 4Q 2015.

Isn't that Q1 2015 release supposed to be that big Windows, Windows Phone and Xbox update Threshold or whatever? I haven't kept up with Windows past the incoming update to the start menu in August.

dr_rus

Isn't that Q1 2015 release supposed to be that big Windows, Windows Phone and Xbox update Threshold or whatever? I haven't kept up with Windows past the incoming update to the start menu in August.

It's codenamed Threshhold yeah but it's anyone's guess right now what it'll bring. Most of sources seems to be certain that it'll end up being the next Windows release - Windows 365 or whatever they'll decide to call it.

I also don't think they have ownership of any of those third-party IPs, that is terrible for thieir future.

Well they don't own Ryse, Titanfall or Sunset Overdrive but they do own Scalebound. (I'm pretty sure anyway).

You may see Ryse or Sunset Overdrive on the PC but I seriously doubt that Microsoft would pass up funding a Ryse or Sunset Overdrive sequel of those projects if they are successful enough for a third party publisher to pick them up.

Talking about third party studios, Spencer also mentioned that he “really likes” Scaleborn, the Xbox One exclusive Hideki Kamiya and Platinum Games are developing in collaboration with Microsoft.
Personally, I find quite refreshing that Spencer isn’t overpromising on what DirectX 12 will deliver, especially considering that some really went overboard with their predictions, presenting scenarios that are simply unrealistic under every point of view.
It’s also interesting to see him talk about taking risks with first party studios, even more so if we look at the fact that nowadays the industry tends to shy more and more away from making risky design decisions, that are often left to indies

Obviously first party studios are gonna have an edge.

Just look at Halo 4... that was damn near witchcraft what they did with that tech.

BigDug13

It's funny, I find it to be almost the opposite. Not the posts themselves - those are fun - it's the rabid devotion in the comments. He spouts this crazy utter nonsense backed up with out-of-context powerpoint slides with MS paint scribbled all over it and his followers eat it up like he's this spellbinding prophet. I know I should just laugh it off but these people are brainwashed - that dude is running a cult.

He's the Glen Beck of the gaming world.

Refreshingly honest.

Yeah, interesting to see him basically say that MS's first party efforts aren't going to aim for AAA production values.

Did we read the same thing? Does taking risks mean not having AAA production values?

Looking at their list of announced games I would disagree.

vcc

Who is this, someone explain.

He's someone who claims to have inside information on the industry and makes outlandish claims about the power of the xbox one or outlandish claims of the lack of power of the PS4. As far as I know he's never been right or if he was right only on stuff that is extremely well known; even then he doesn't seem to understand the stuff he's gibbering about.

He got popular because it feeds zealots. It sort of seems like a Sony guy trolling xbox fans.

Very nice to hear them be honest and not leave people constantly making up crazy assessments when despite SDK improvements the hardware is not changing.

abadguy

Banned
He's someone who claims to have inside information on the industry and makes outlandish claims about the power of the xbox one or outlandish claims of the lack of power of the PS4. As far as I know he's never been right or if he was right only on stuff that is extremely well known; even then he doesn't seem to understand the stuff he's gibbering about.

He got popular because it feeds zealots. It sort of seems like a Sony guy trolling xbox fans.

To be honest i always figured that's what he was.

Not really, the term first party is often misinterpreted here, but when coming from a platfrem holder it usually simply means that they are publishing.

Maybe but he never referred to SO as a "first party" title and in the interview seemed to specifically mention Scalebound as first party so i figured maybe they own the IP.

Jonnax

I always thought the blog was satire like the CEO Kaz Hirai twitter account.

Look at all the random PowerPoint slides with red circles, the "insider" that writes exactly like mrxmedia and the poster in all the comments with an Einstein avatar. It just seems way too perfect.

curb

Banned
And he does not disappoint:

vECyKnZ.png

arhra

truth is Direct X 12 islikely based off the Xbox One API already. Its about bringing that API to PC.

Some portions are being backported from D3D11.X (the Xbox API), but others are all-new:

jnA3U3E.png

(from MS's GDC presentation where they first announced DX12)

Some of the big wins on the PC side (most notably the reduction in driver overhead) are a non-issue on Xbox, but the other stuff is pretty nice too.

vcc

Lol, so good

I recall MisterXmedia convinced a somewhat popular youtuber that there was a fundamental design flaw in the PS4 networking set up that would cripple the machine graphically. That was solid gold. The guy lost subscribers and had to back pedal furiously afterwards. Puzzling why you'd go all in on such a implausible rumor.

DirtyLarry

I have to say for myself Spencer is exactly what MS needed to gain my respect back.
Up until his arrival, I truly had no respect for MS anymore.

Misterxmedia am cry indeed.

Spencer continues to impress me. Can't say there's many in the industry who are this open and honest. Kudos to him.

Top Bottom