• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer has been playing Crackdown and Phantom Dust

Tecnniqe

Banned
Most interesting thing about it all is
pDg6fIt.png

N.Domixis

Banned
Prediction, they won't be able to get it to run stable on xb1 og and will be canceled. Due to not being able to make it scorpio exclusive.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Have you... played crackdown?
Have you played any of them?
0_0...Whatchuuu talk'n bout?
Anyway, I'm really looking forward to CD3, game is mad fun with co-op. Hopefully this is good.
I've seen videos but, no I haven't played them.
In that case well I guess then it's time to dismiss me because my opinion on the diversity of the Xbox portfolio is only valid if I played all its games, I guess.

In all seriousness is it that unreasonable to think the Xbox portfolio lacks diversity and that a shooter that's very different but still a shooter isn't going to change that much?
Is Crackdown really going to speak to me as someone that enjoyed games like Tokyo Jungle, most JRPGs, the Witness, Tearaway, Virtue's Last Reward etc etc etc(Pretty much the kind of games that I don't think many consider big but they all definitely enrich diversity of taste). I don't feel like it does currently but feel free to convince me otherwise.

The only game from them I've currently got my eye on that speaks to me is Below(and before that I thought Scalebound could have the potential to be interesting although that too was very much drifting towards "dude bro" but maybe it could have gotten a good balance appealing to both like a DMC).
I feel most of their other titles falls very much into variations of what could be considered a "dude bro" game and Crackdown seems to be very much in line with that.
Like is Crackdown really so different in a way where there isn't significant overlap between the people that like Crackdown/Halo/Gears?

But sure I'm open to be shown how wrong I am. And doesn't mean that Crackdown isn't going to be amazing and great or anything. I'm sure it's going to be a good game but it does very little to bring someone of my ilk in, at least unless I'm missing some essential element that the videos cannot possibly showcase.

Or maybe yes Xbox is not aimed for me, but that brings me back to its lack of diversity.

I'll tell him the next time I'm in his company

Thanks for laying my concerns to rest. Be sure to send him kind regards from random neogaf poster as well!

When do they show non tech demos of Crackdown 3?

They have work to do because Crackdown 2 was ass. Stuff like running orbs is not fun coming from original and how the game involves collecting 100s of them.

Jumeira

Banned
I know it's not going to happen, but Crackdown would be a perfect fit for the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor.
Absolutely, can't believe this hasn't been used more. Wonderful innovation that would make mundane sub boss encounters more meaningful, and personal.

Crackdown 1 was probably my favourite game on the 360 so I'm excited that it's turning out well.

Crackdown 2 was even better.

In that case well I guess then it's time to dismiss me because my opinion on the diversity of the Xbox portfolio is only valid if I played all its games, I guess.

In all seriousness is it that unreasonable to think the Xbox portfolio lacks diversity and that a shooter that's very different but still a shooter isn't going to change that much?
Is Crackdown really going to speak to me as someone that enjoyed games like Tokyo Jungle, most JRPGs, the Witness, Tearaway, Virtue's Last Reward etc etc etc(Pretty much the kind of games that I don't think many consider big but they all definitely enrich diversity of taste). I don't feel like it does currently but feel free to convince me otherwise.

The only game from them I've currently got my eye on that speaks to me is Below(and before that I thought Scalebound could have the potential to be interesting although that too was very much drifting towards "dude bro" but maybe it could have gotten a good balance appealing to both like a DMC).
I feel most of their other titles falls very much into variations of what could be considered a "dude bro" game and Crackdown seems to be very much in line with that.
Like is Crackdown really so different in a way where there isn't significant overlap between the people that like Crackdown/Halo/Gears?

But sure I'm open to be shown how wrong I am. And doesn't mean that Crackdown isn't going to be amazing and great or anything. I'm sure it's going to be a good game but it does very little to bring someone of my ilk in, at least unless I'm missing some essential element that the videos cannot possibly showcase.

Or maybe yes Xbox is not aimed for me, but that brings me back to its lack of diversity.

Thanks for laying my concerns to rest. Be sure to send him kind regards from random neogaf poster as well!

You can tell him yourself, I'll pick you up tomorrow

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
You can tell him yourself, I'll pick you up tomorrow

Cool man tell him to make time for a 20 hour JRPG pitch that I believe Xbox totally needs. It's going to cost 10 times what XV did but it will totally not make it's money, but it's surely going to be a worthwhile endeavor.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

No, you dont need to have played all its games, only the ones you try to pass a valid opinion on. As far as crackdown goes, it is a shooter in that it has guns. Thats about as far as it goes. Its really an open world power fantasy that is more about super jumps, platforming, exploration, exploration than guns.

Cool man tell him to make time for a 20 hour JRPG pitch that I believe Xbox totally needs. It's going to cost 10 times what XV did but it will totally not make it's money, but it's surely going to be a worthwhile endeavor.

A few JRPG's would be good but I would be surprised if it's in their plans at the moment. Will they ever find a breakthrough in Japan? Doubtful lol

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
No, you dont need to have played all its games, only the ones you try to pass a valid opinion on. As far as crackdown goes, it is a shooter in that it has guns. Thats about as far as it goes. Its really an open world power fantasy that is more about super jumps, platforming, exploration, exploration than guns.

Lol...

Well I mean it's not like I didn't anticipate that. As for your description of Crackdown that's pretty much what my takeaway was about what game it is from the videos I've seen. Maybe it came off as overly reductive calling it just a shooter and kind of doomed my points for any kind of sensible discussion. But I feel in the followup post I did a better job of framing where the sentiment comes from, most of which you chose to ignore for some reason or another.

I'm pretty much coming from a general game enthusiast perspective. I want both ecosystems to thrive because I strongly believe in the benefit of strong competition.
My main problem is I have a hard time finding stuff that speaks to me on Xbox and my main point was basically I can't see Crackdown changing that and thus basically not diversifying the Xbox portfolio to the extent that I can get invested in. And I don't feel like I have the narrowest of gaming taste.

A few JRPG's would be good but I would be surprised if it's in their plans at the moment. Will they ever find a breakthrough in Japan? Doubtful lol

In all seriousness it doesn't need to be a JRPG. It can be a wide variety of things anything really that brings more color to the portfolio.
I actually also forgot to mention Cuphead, so Cuphead and Below are the type of games that I consider diversifying the portfolio, those are the games that I consider a good step. But really it wouldn't hurt if they did a major AAA thing in the same vein as well(or well whatever Last Guardian was budget wise seemed AAA to me).

Doffen

It's actually all about orb hunting and wall climbing cars.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Really hyped for Crackdown 3, wish we would've gotten a trailer or some screens over the holiday.

No doubt it will deliver with the amount of time it's been in the oven.

Speely

Banned
I refuse to have any amount of Phantom Dust remake/sequel hype ever again until it's available for release.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Well, I mean, I'm sure he payed Scalebound a few times too.

I'm not saying Crackdown will get cancelled. It won't. But him PLAYING it doesn't ensure it won't.

op_ivy

Lol...

Well I mean it's not like I didn't anticipate that. As for your description of Crackdown that's pretty much what my takeaway was about what game it is from the videos I've seen. Maybe it came off as overly reductive calling it just a shooter and kind of doomed my points for any kind of sensible discussion. But I feel in the followup post I did a better job of framing where the sentiment comes from, most of which you chose to ignore for some reason or another.

I'm pretty much coming from a general game enthusiast perspective. I want both ecosystems to thrive because I strongly believe in the benefit of strong competition.
My main problem is I have a hard time finding stuff that speaks to me on Xbox and my main point was basically I can't see Crackdown changing that and thus basically not diversifying the Xbox portfolio to the extent that I can get invested in. And I don't feel like I have the narrowest of gaming taste.

In all seriousness it doesn't need to be a JRPG. It can be a wide variety of things anything really that brings more color to the portfolio.
I actually also forgot to mention Cuphead, so Cuphead and Below are the type of games that I consider diversifying the portfolio, those are the games that I consider a good step. But really it wouldn't hurt if they did a major AAA thing in the same vein as well(or well whatever Last Guardian was budget wise seemed AAA to me).

Ding ding!

I dont give a toss about the rest of your points, hence i only responded to the one i do.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Ding ding!

I dont give a toss about the rest of your points, hence i only responded to the one i do.

I see basically I have no decent argument to the core issue and only attack the points for which I do, gotcha!
Winning the argument > engaging in a conversation.
Ding Ding indeed.

op_ivy

I see basically I have no decent argument to the core issue and only attack the points for which I do, gotcha!
Winning the argument > engaging in a conversation.
Ding Ding indeed.

Come on. You made an ignorant comment about a game, i called you out for it. Thats all. Lets move on, k?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Come on. You made an ignorant comment about a game, i called you out for it. Thats all. Lets move on, k?

Simplifying much?

I made a reductive comment on a game that never the less wasn't wrong(after all you shoot, I regard GTA as a shooter as well). Never the less went back considered and reframed my point to hopefully provide a better picture of what my point was.

You choose to ignore all of that and basically just post 1 liners harping on the one statement that I already basically tried to revise. The justification "I don't care".

Great discussion, you could say it was as riveting as the Xbox portfolio diversity :)P) but yeah if that's the extent of what can happen in this thread let's move on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

op_ivy

Simplifying much?

I made a reductive comment on a game that never the less wasn't wrong(after all you shoot, I regard GTA as a shooter as well). Never the less went back considered and reframed my point to hopefully provide a better picture of what my point was.

You choose to ignore all of that and basically just post 1 liners harping on the one statement that I already basically tried to revise. The justification "I don't care".

Great discussion ¯_(ツ)_/¯ but yeah if that's the extent of what can happen in this thread let's move on.

Dude, not sure what your problem is. I read part of your post and corrected something you said wrong. This says nothing about your other points (that ive since read and agree with). I ONLY ORIGINALLY RESPONDED TO YOU FOR THIS SOLE PURPOSE. Jesus. Literally face palming now.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, not sure what your problem is. I read part of your post and corrected something you said wrong. This says nothing about your other points (that ive since read and agree with). I ONLY ORIGINALLY RESPONDED TO YOU FOR THIS SOLE PURPOSE. Jesus. Literally face palming now.

My problem is that you don't read supporting the suspicion that you don't actually want to discuss anything. xD Woot.

Again like with the "only valid" thing it's becoming very hilarious actually.

Or maybe somehow between all the posts shooting isn't a main mechanic in Crackdown anymore?

In any case chill out bro. I'm sorry for somehow agitating you. I apologize.

Nameless

Hoping Crackdown embraces character creation. I'm also eager to see how the destruction system is coming along. It will live or die off its traversal mechanics, though.

Trup1aya

Crackdown had been my most anticipated game of the generation since it was announced.

I can't believe how fondly i remember the first - a game i only bought so i could play halo 3s beta....

Oh man of they announced a halo 3A beta to coincide with CD3 I'd shed a tear of joy.

Top Bottom