• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "I agree that MS needs to up our gaming presence on Windows."

jelly

Microsoft already release PC games with Xbox integration, albeit on the Store and bite sized. They seem fine using Steam as a platform. I don't think there is anything particular stopping them except maybe a dedicated PC gaming app of some sort.

Step in the right direction if he actually implements something or gets a few games across. Otherwise he's just blowing hot air, which we've had plenty of from MS.

Show us something phil.

z1ggy

The more MS stays away from PC gaming, the better. If they want to release their games on Steam/Origin/GOG/etc, go for it. Nothing else MS, please.

Wiktor

HD + Steam Workshop integration

Most of the mods are very old, people lost their code, teams split etc. Most mods would never get ported. Not worth it, especially for merely HD re-release with few facy effects instead of full remake. Just re-release the original and at most add some resolution patch.

Microsoft is a PC company first and foremost. Their driving product is Windows. The best way they have to move Windows to consumers is tied with new hardware. One of the leading drivers of hardware sales in the PC space is PC games.

Release games on PC, people buy new hardware with shiney new windows licenses to play said games. Microsoft makes money off both ends of the equation.

You act like their PC games was a big part of their business. Guess what it wasn't, that's why they basically stop focusing on it. Their business is Windows. Microsoft doesn't need to develop games for the PC when there are thousands of developers out there doing it for them.

What about PC exclusives though? Microsoft has resources to do them, they would clearly sell and also help boost the part of the company that's actually wildly profitable, unlike Xbox brand. It's fine to keep console games as exclusive (at least timed exclusives), but not making pc exclusives alongside those console releases is just plain dumb and makes zero sense business wise. It's classic case of Microsoft's internal war between divisions, which has already cost them countless business opportunities.

They can develop exclusive games for the PC if they want to but why waste the resources when. The entertainment section isn't as profitable as it should be but Xbox is. Do you ask Sony and Nintendo to do the same thing? I bet you don't.

You act like their PC games was a big part of their business. Guess what it wasn't, that's why they basically stop focusing on it. Their business is Windows. Microsoft doesn't need to develop games for the PC when there are thousands of developers out there doing it for them.

They can develop exclusive games for the PC if they want to but why waste the resources when. The entertainment section isn't as profitable as it should be but Xbox is. Do you ask Sony and Nintendo to do the same thing? I bet you don't.

Look kid, I know you're desperate to try and turn this into a console wars topic, but point of fact:
- MS Flight Sim as a franchise predates Windows.
- MS make the operating system that runs gaming PCs. Sony and Nintendo do not.
- MS make their money in the PC space, not the Xbox space.

Wiktor

Waste the resources? Those games wouldn't be very expensive to make and would bring huge profits. How is that wasting the resources? Or are you suggesting that Microsoft is some petite company that barely survives from day to day and they simply have no money left to spare? :)
If you want to talk about "wasting resources" then that's how pretty much every analyst describes the whole Xbox division.

And Sony actually does develop AAA PC-centric titles regularly. So exactly what are you talking about?

Azih

The best case scenario is that Spencer continues to walk the walk as he's doing after having talked the talk and has convinced his higher ups of the glaringly obvious point that Gabe Newell makes that a lot of Windows success has to do with it having all the games. Doom was a killer app, Quake was a killer app, Myst was a killer app etc. It's in Microsoft's best interest to be a helpful presence in fostering more games for Windows.

dex3108

Spencer explains why Microsoft didn't bring Windows games to E3

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/13/58...why-microsoft-didnt-bring-windows-games-to-e3

If E3 isn't the right place, I asked, then what is?

"Well they do these huge world championship events and they fill up arenas," he said. "I do think there could be a space there.

"For us, E3 is a console show and an Xbox show, and for us as Microsoft, Xbox is our gaming brand, and it's the thing we can fill an arena like this, we get millions of people to watch us on TV and we show our games and it's a brand that people care about."

Wiktor

Well..gamescom is a pc show, but watch Microsoft not do anything during it yet again. If they will miss this show then you can sure it's just another annual PR bullshit initative from MS about pcgames.

Top Bottom