• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Starfield being 30fps is a "creative choice", not a hardware issue.

pasterpl

And virtually all of the features I have seen in SF so far have been done before. The basic structure/gameplay loop is indistinguishable from a typical Bethesda RPG. The primary difference is the space setting and that has been done by other games. Space combat, vehicle construction, procedural generation. None of it is new. Nothing wrong with that, refined concepts are usually implemented the best. Imagine a Fallout game with space travel and no V.A.T.S. That is basically what SF is to me. I, too, hope there is something that wows us. That telekinesis-like power showed near the end of the game indicates they have not shown everything yet.
just like 99% of AAA games nowadays. Developers are not taking risks as they have used to.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
just like 99% of AAA games nowadays. Developers are not taking risks as they have used to.

I never understood the "it has been done before", yes, 99.9% of game releases today do the same things that have been done for a few generations already. That is not what defines the scale/scope and resources a game requires.

TheGrat1

Hey,
alright-hands-up.gif

I am not in this thread implying this game is so advanced and complicated an "next gen" that trying to make it run at 60 fps on the Series X would produce a subpar product.

rm082e

I guess this lie must be convincing to some people, right? Otherwise industry folks would stop pulling it out when they get into an awkward PR position.

Wait how is it a lie?! He said it was NOT a hardware issue meaning the Xbox COULD do 60fps but Todd wanted to make the creative decision to force us to play 30fps higher image quality at launch. Today that was proven true? What am I missing?

In all honesty they probably didn't have the time to make both 60 and 30 ready for launch so Todd chose 30 bc it presents much better in commercials and screen shots so yes that is still a creative issue not a hardware issue.

Mr Moose

Wait how is it a lie?! He said it was NOT a hardware issue meaning the Xbox COULD do 60fps but Todd wanted to make the creative decision to force us to play 30fps higher image quality at launch. Today that was proven true? What am I missing?

In all honesty they probably didn't have the time to make both 60 and 30 ready for launch so Todd chose 30 bc it presents much better in commercials and screen shots so yes that is still a creative issue not a hardware issue.
I don't see Series S getting that update.
We've heard from many that you'd like to have more control over the graphic fidelity and performance on Xbox, similar to how PC players can customize their experience. We're now enabling that on Xbox Series X with a few options that you can use to find the best fit for your playstyle and display.

“Creative choice”

Nah, Phil, the game was just unfinished. Likely y’all told them to shit it out the door 8 months early.
Phil rushed the game out the door?! Phil is actually the reason why the game got delayed an additional year. He wanted to give Bethesda more time to polish and thank God cuz even with that additional year it was still feeling somewhat incomplete at launch but hey it was the least buggy Bethesda game ever by far. So it was just like you said except the exact opposite plus a few months.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
“Creative choice”

Nah, Phil, the game was just unfinished. Likely y’all told them to shit it out the door 8 months early.
lol i swear do people even play games on this forum? This is by far the most polished bethesda game ever made and one of the most polished game releases on both consoles and PC last year. Phil delayed the game by a year to make that happen.

Also, this update proves them both right. the xsx hardware could always run the game at 60 fps. The decision was made to not sacrifice visuals. You literally hear Todd saying that the game can already run at 60 fps, but they lock it at 30 fps to make it feel consistent.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Choice is correct, let it go haters, most games have resolution scaling which Starfield did not, it used a fixed resolution with a locked framerate with no other choice, now that's changed via a software update, so it wasn't a hardware issue, no lies detected.

I know it tastes bad guys, but it is what it is:

Eating_Crow.jpg

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
lol i swear do people even play games on this forum? This is by far the most polished bethesda game ever made and one of the most polished game releases on both consoles and PC last year. Phil delayed the game by a year to make that happen.

Also, this update proves them both right. the xsx hardware could always run the game at 60 fps. The decision was made to not sacrifice visuals. You literally hear Todd saying that the game can already run at 60 fps, but they lock it at 30 fps to make it feel consistent.
You left out that it was also one of the most unfinished feeling Bethesda games ever as well. Compromises were obviously made to get it out to door. I played about 30 hours before I decided to just wait.

Just laugh about it because I know I did once I saw the performance section of the update.

Varteras

Gold Member
Any time you hear a game with low performance being described as a "creative decision" you can rest assured in one of two things. One, they're lying, they know you're dumb enough to believe it, and the truth is that they couldn't make it go any higher within the time they had. If at all. Or, two, that it really was a creative decision and they told you nicely to "get fucked". Right up until they realized they're the ones getting fucked. Either way, there is egg all over some faces right now.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I wasn't involved in this response, but leave it to the weakest posters to call people Phil and Todd boot lickers just because they have an opinion that happens to be positive for ms.
Lame.
There's literally no reason to be positive about this. Todd is pissing down your back and telling you it's raining.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
There's literally no reason to be positive about this. Todd is pissing down your back and telling you it's raining.

Plenty of reason to be positive that they are adding a patch for things that gamers were requesting. But since ms is involved, you clearly predecided that they can do nothing good. Every action is bad. I bet if they decided to hand out 1,000,000 free xbox consoles to poor children you would complian they didn't do it sooner, or that they only included 5 games instead of 10.

Last edited:

Three

Phil rushed the game out the door?! Phil is actually the reason why the game got delayed an additional year. He wanted to give Bethesda more time to polish and thank God cuz even with that additional year it was still feeling somewhat incomplete at launch but hey it was the least buggy Bethesda game ever by far. So it was just like you said except the exact opposite plus a few months.
HeisenbergFX4 was in the know and kept saying it was coming in hot (due to Phil):
Phil gave it the greenlight and only after the ridicule did they try and fix it delaying as long as they did.

Starfield was much the same story

Everyone knew it was coming in hot but the powers that be at Xbox/MS (mainly Phil) wanted it out the door.

Last edited:

Nahh, I warned people Jan of last year Starfield needed another year and Phil pushed it to get out by holiday and the actual people working on it wanted more time

maK9RvI.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The game wasn't done. They said it was a creative choice. That was a clear lie. You cool with that?

The game had already received a full year+ delay, at a point they have to put it out. The extra time and cutting things like crowd density has given them the room to add it, at the point it came out, not compromising on the visuals and launching the game at 30 FPS was their creative vision.

Regardless, the update(s) are here, so that's something positive 🤷‍♂️

King Dazzar

ok ... and ?

they shouldn't add things people wanted? I swear some of y'all are the living embodiment of the bitch-eating-crackers meme.
Come on man. The lack of positivity is the fact that Phil threw loads of spin and nonsense out. With it being down to some implied artistic decision as to why the game was only going to come in at 30fps. And then all the shills chimed in and spun it all further with the game being so amazing, no console could possibly run it at anything other than 30fps.

Is it great that they're adding these things, of course. Is it great that once again Phil & co all peddled rubbish? No, and its right that it gets called out for it.

Sounding strangely familiar with whats going on with Hellblade 2, dont you think? If you love Xbox like you do, I'll never understand why you dont want and push for better. Instead of defending these practises, marring quality on release.

I dread to think what State of Decay 3 will be like at launch

Let’s be honest the devs know themselves a lot of this stuff could/should have made launch , all this “we hear your feedback “ stuff is farting in the wind. They know themselves.

This game was under more pressure to deliver then it should because of the inconsistency of first party and at times a total lack of major releases throughout a year. That’s on Xbox management and I refuse to believe this game was shipped when it did with upmost confidence throughout the camp.

Not only did the game itself tell you everything, how they handled the review process was a red flag.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

It’s not a creative neither a technical issue. Is the same skill issue that is Bethesda. The company behind making the Spiffin Brit YouTuber rich by just uploading videos of the bugs of the most released game in history. Phil wasn’t lying, he just didn’t want to call his new partner an incompetent w*nk*r.

Top Bottom