• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Xbone name "going to stick"; though isn't the most flattering name

Dryk

I can't help but feel that this partially steps from corporate culture. Any employee using anything other than the official monikers in correspondence would have the company ninjas at his door before they could hit send. That's not an atmosphere conducive to prevent this sort of problem.

I'm surprised nobody there ever thought to see what the name could be shortened to. But then again, they didn't think "Xbox 1" would be a confusing name for their new console. Even Apple refers to theirs as "The New iPad".

That's weird because most people have started using XB1 now. Haven't seen a 180 comment in weeks until yours. Fail.

Actually, I've still been seeing "180" and variations thereof used often just about every site I visit where games are discussed (Though Xbone still seems the more popular name). "XB1" I don't see nearly so much. Success.

Goldmund

I like the name Xbone.

It's not because of its association with "boning" or "getting boned". I'm a non-native speaker and that's not what comes to mind immediately. Furthermore, even if that was what came to mind, I wouldn't perceive any negative connotations other than those suggested by the context and history of the product.

(I don't think getting boned makes one a lesser person and it always irks me when people describe the either endured or welcomed consequences from the many nefarious machinations and actions of bigger companies as "getting boned", with those welcoming them "bending over".

The perception that the one penetrating gains in any way dominance over the penetrated is antiquated at best.)

The reason I like the name is because it "rolls off the tongue" and has successfully rolled off the tongue so many times now; I know exactly what the name refers to when uttered or written, I don't have to take a detour via the actual full name to understand what's being discussed ("XB1? Oh, Xbox One, Xbone, right."). Even if that happens in a split second, it takes a split second too long.

It's a good name and I see no reason that -- once the console is released and has built a respectable library of exclusive games -- it can't carry entirely positive connotations. I don't think I'll drop the name.

I saw someone use "the one" here in GAF because of that 4chan (?) post where some 'insider' said thats what Microsoft want it to be called.

Found it very hilarious. Xbone is far too hilarious though.

Microsoft Exec: we need to come up for a stupid name for a rivals, sony! ummmm, Playstation BORE!! ha! take that, let's get our guys to put that out on the net!! we're hip!!! right guys???

Rozart

I've used the acronym XB1 since the beginning but well, if you insist...

(I also find it funny that just when the use of Xbone isn't quite so prominent anymore, MS comes in and goes 'fine. yes. you can call it Xbone'.)

Top Bottom