• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Xbone name "going to stick"; though isn't the most flattering name

vdo

I call it the easiest of all names to call it.

X1.

Simple.

Except that could be confused with this, since it is also multimedia/TV related:

comcastx1smalla2p7y.png

To me, "xbox one" means the original Xbox. Just like how "zelda one" means the original Legend of Zelda. Just like how "halo one" means Halo: Combat Evolved.

Stupid fucking name and they deserve whatever they get for it.

At the reveal I remember anticipating so much that they were gonna call it 'xbox infinity', and when they revealed the actual name i honestly laughed.

B_Boss

Is that to signify the PS4 being 50 percent better? It's a generation and a half ahead?

Best response ever to that stupid ass "PS3.5" title....it makes absolutely no rational sense when the facts are known and only serves to emphasize the assbaggery of the user.

IT Slave

Banned
Xbone GIFs are GO. Quick, get them all out of your system

I just say "Xbox One". Xbone's for making fun of it. Sometimes deserved, but not really fit for announcing news. Too close to "Xbots" and all that.

Well it's better than the 360 maxi pad meme. With the RROD, the 360 looked like a used maxi pad.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't really understand why it's happened. XBO seems like the best thing to write, and out-loud just saying 'Xbox' isn't going to confuse people, since everyone calls the current system 'the three-sixty'.

They had XBONE on the stage behind the TV TV TV Tv NFL NFL NFL NFL dog guy.

How could they not see it?

Lunar15

Xbone is going to be one of those words that gets super obnoxious after awhile, and people aren't going to want to hear it anymore.

jaypah

Best response ever to that stupid ass "PS3.5" title....it makes absolutely no rational sense when the facts are known and only serves to emphasize the assbaggery of the user.

The 4.5 thing came about prematurely when PS4 was rumored to only have 4.5 of its RAM available to developers. Whoops on that one. I don't leave GAF so I have no idea where 3.5 came from but you sure feel strongly about it lol

B_Boss

The 4.5 thing came about prematurely when PS4 was rumored to only have 4.5 of its RAM available to developers. Whoops on that one. I don't leave GAF so I have no idea where 3.5 came from but you sure feel strongly about it lol

You know its the kiddies who use it so much on reddit lol. they say it as though it has some rational quality to it that is positive lol. I've seen PS3.5 and PS4.5....sigh, gotta love the interwebs.

feel

The dumb nickname is past its prime and ms executives embracing only confirms it more. Every time someone uses it these days it's just awkward.

B.O.O.M

I could have sworn that some marketing material with guidelines for the console was the main reason for the name. Something about putting the words Xbox and One close to each other or something

It still boggles my mind how stupid both Microsoft and Nintendo were in naming their new consoles. Of course taking the number route like Sony is safe and boring, but at least there will be no confusion or degrading nicknames.

It's a great name.

acid_picdump_18.jpg

God dammit, why'd you have to go and bring supershibe here?

OT: So is the general consensus ex-bone, not cross-bone? When it was originally unveiled, cross-bone made more sense, as it was deadly. Don't know about now, though. I guess it should now just be called "ex-bone"

Every company should take a group of teenagers and tell them their idea for a product name. If they can come up with an unflattering nickname within ten minutes, change the name.
I'm trying to imagine that being done for Wii and Wii U. Too fucking easy. More like ten seconds.

If they had any sense they'd embrace the name and make it their own... as said by others apparently.

Seriously, sticks and stones Phil, sticks and stones.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This comment shouldn't have been made, from a PR perspective. He basically gave a free pass for people to call it this way.

Barakov

Unfortunately, for them, the name stuck. It really just shows how upset people were with their policies.

They completely failed to predict how consumers would react to just about every single other thing they've done with this console, why are you surprised that they failed to predict how people would react to the name?

forrest

formerly nacire
Eh down the road it'll just be the xbox anyways. Still, Xbox One was a poor choice for a console line that already has numerical naming issues.

Every company should take a group of teenagers and tell them their idea for a product name. If they can come up with an unflattering nickname within ten minutes, change the name.

4th post :) ...

not surprised that spencer & friends didn't see it coming. but they really should've run it past some people outside the bubble before lift-off...

Taker34

Banned
Well, maybe next time they will use some of their budget for a better name. Like the WiiU (which was another odd choice), it's their fault and now they have to #dealwithit. Very ironic if you ask me.
Xbox 720 would be actually very funny and somehow unexpectedly expected.

qream

I've always went with xbox one to avoid pissing off the xbox fans. Guess if he's fine with it, I can just start using the name xbone without worry.

zma1013

The first thing my wife and I did when picking baby names is to ensure that we chose a name that was bulletproof on the playground. Microsoft could be considered a neglectful parent in this regard. Props to them for stepping up and owning it though, especially since Xbone is here to stay.

Gotta ask, what's the name?

Top Bottom