• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phill Spencer confirms via Official Xbox Podcast NO ABK games will be on gamepass this year. “2024 is an accurate timeline”

Matsuchezz

Didn't both those games get delayed? Especially 343i they were given a significant amount of time to get it right, game was good as well, Redfall wasn't fit I agree about that.
It was delayed because of Greg, but that game was almost ready to ship when the first gameplay was shown. And it was delayed because of all the criticism. The game itself is long forgotten. Anyways OT, it's fairly laughable how someone can get excited by whatever that guy says.

Hestar69

I guess your problem (and mine, and some friend's too) is that you don't want to pay for the sub just to not play or to get back your nostalgia fix quickly and then forget about it then feel the money was kinda wasted. Game Pass would fix that for most players in the same situation.
yeah I just want to play it for a bit. I wish it's trial was like FF14 and went to lvl 60 instead of just 20.

If I was MS why in the ever-loving fuck would I dump a shit load of old COD games on GamePass right before I'm getting ready to launch one of the last new COD games that, not only won't go on GP day 1, but I'll be held blameless for it since we all saw the contract?

The old COD games will come at a drip after MW3 starts to die down, and they'll get to celebrate it for a good PR event. A new COD every week is at least 4 months of a damn good reason to sub, more than half a year if they do one game every GP drop. It will end just in time for COD '24. A whole year for COD heads to wrap their casual little heads around why they need GamePass.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
He says it's because of the acquisition taking longer than expected, they didn't have time to sort it out with the Activision teams because of uncertainty as late as the week of closing. I doubt they have to author different game versions just for game pass.

-

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 bringing in something from another topic, you said Tom knew about the acquisition date month(s) ago, Phil is directly contradicting that here when he says that they were uncertain about it as late as the week-of closing.

I doubt Tom has enough sway to know regulatory results months in advance.
Pretty sure Microsoft knew the exact dates at every turn. They shared with Tom, who covered the news on Windows Central.

Microsoft also knew CMA's stance on the restructured deal proposal that came immediately after FTC's court case result. They had the statements prepared and ready to go as soon as CMA dropped theirs.

xrnzaaas

They need to milk those releases in 2024. Can't release them all at once for a sub. That makes no sense.
It makes sense to release at least a few bigger titles after having a rather weak year of first party releases. Or maybe they don't care about selling more consoles and subs before Christmas time.

Mephisto40

Giving them time to implement the "You have game pass, but we still want $40 off you to play the game on release" API to the xbox dashboard

draliko

thats all I want too.. Give me WoW on game pass! I've been itching to play it again but 15 a month still! then all the expansions you have to buy.
Actually wow would work quite well if you made the expansions btp and keep the base game and game time included on ultimate. The problem with wow would be to manage the eventual gamepad version on console, but you could always made mandatory to have kbm even on console for such a game

Robb

Gold Member
nintendo-thumbs-down.gif

That sucks. I don’t even care for COD, just release Crash, CTR and Spyro.

NEbeast

He says it's because of the acquisition taking longer than expected, they didn't have time to sort it out with the Activision teams because of uncertainty as late as the week of closing. I doubt they have to author different game versions just for game pass.

-

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 bringing in something from another topic, you said Tom knew about the acquisition date month(s) ago, Phil is directly contradicting that here when he says that they were uncertain about it as late as the week-of closing.

I doubt Tom has enough sway to know regulatory results months in advance.
Spencer is full of shit, everyone should know that after all those emails.

Actually wow would work quite well if you made the expansions btp and keep the base game and game time included on ultimate. The problem with wow would be to manage the eventual gamepad version on console, but you could always made mandatory to have kbm even on console for such a game
I think the option is there for a Ultimate + World of Warcraft Subscription but for an increased amount. The amount would be tricky as to not make regular WOW subscribers feel ripped off.

Spencer is full of shit, everyone should know that after all those emails.
I do feel how people would react if they saw PS internal emails? Are you that nieve to think it's all sunshine and rainbows over there? All these guys are very different behind closed doors, it's not just Xbox.

NEbeast

I do feel how people would react if they saw PS internal emails? Are you that nieve to think it's all sunshine and rainbows over there? All these guys are very different behind closed doors, it's not just Xbox.
That's a whole lot of assumptions. I'm talking about something we do know, move along.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
If I was MS why in the ever-loving fuck would I dump a shit load of old COD games on GamePass right before I'm getting ready to launch one of the last new COD games that, not only won't go on GP day 1, but I'll be held blameless for it since we all saw the contract?

The old COD games will come at a drip after MW3 starts to die down, and they'll get to celebrate it for a good PR event. A new COD every week is at least 4 months of a damn good reason to sub, more than half a year if they do one game every GP drop. It will end just in time for COD '24. A whole year for COD heads to wrap their casual little heads around why they need GamePass.
I'm almost sure that CoD deal with PS (and it means all CoDs) will last 'till the end of FY in April. So their hands is def tied here.

Back catalog? Well, you see, there' not many games that are not CoD/Blizzard in ABK library in the last 2 gens to make a big drop, to be honest. And many of old 360 games are licensed titles like Spider-man (lol).

Blizzard and fresh CoDs? MS is not a charity, they will fight feverishly to earn that 80b back. And many titles like Warzone/OW2 are f2p already.

New revivals? Phil can babble about it in his podcast, but CoD factory is all-consuming. Almost all of ATVI teams are working on a vicious content cycle for CoD and Blizzard and Phil won't touch this machine for a million of years. Vicarious Visions is Blizzard Albany now. Toys for Bob is CoD support team now. Raven is long-time support team, vital for Warzone and CoD MP. In it's current form ATVI is literally one-franchise company and I would love to see Phil taking his career at stake to break this machine.

My hot take, you'll be actually quite surprised how little in fact will change for GamePass in the coming few years conent-wise. The more I look at it, the more I think that the King was of the real interest for Nadella, after cloud strategy fell through, thanks to UK/EU concessions.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Pretty sure Microsoft knew the exact dates at every turn. They shared with Tom, who covered the news on Windows Central.

Microsoft also knew CMA's stance on the restructured deal proposal that came immediately after FTC's court case result. They had the statements prepared and ready to go as soon as CMA dropped theirs.

A lot ofheavy assumptions needed to make this scenario plausible. The biggest one that people like Tom Warren would have any kind of insider knowledge of regulatory bodies' internal work.

I just don't think that's true.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
A lot ofheavy assumptions needed to make this scenario plausible. The biggest one that people like Tom Warren would have any kind of insider knowledge of regulatory bodies' internal work.

I just don't think that's true.
How do you think Tom got that information then? He also did that multiple times in the past regarding MS/ABK acquisition.

Either the CMA leaked it or Microsoft did it to him, so he could cover the news on ... windowscentral.com.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How do you think Tom got that information then? He also did that multiple times in the past regarding MS/ABK acquisition.

Either the CMA leaked it or Microsoft did it to him, so he could cover the news on ... windowscentral.com.

Tom didn't really have any information the rest of us did. He speculated about the closing announcement on Friday same as most of us because that was the first opportunity after CMA stopped taking feedback.

A couple of news sites tried to spin it as "confirmed Friday" to which he had to come out and say its just speculation on his part. '

I don't see any reason Phil would need to lie about the fact that they weren't sure about the CMA result even the week of, remember how we were all so sure the CMA would pass it the first time around and look what happened.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It makes sense to release at least a few bigger titles after having a rather weak year of first party releases. Or maybe they don't care about selling more consoles and subs before Christmas time.

It's clear the last quarter for Xbox is Forza 8 and Starfield for them.

NickFire

They need to milk those releases in 2024. Can't release them all at once for a sub. That makes no sense.
Kind of what I was thinking. They just released two of their biggest games in the same quarter, so their subscribers have plenty to keep busy with. Spreading the newly acquired portfolio out makes sense if a steady pipeline is a high priority. They can also get better engagement, and probably MtX where applicable, by letting the bigger portfolio games shine in smaller batches than getting buried in a massive dump.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Tom didn't really have any information the rest of us did. He speculated about the closing announcement on Friday same as most of us because that was the first opportunity after CMA stopped taking feedback.

A couple of news sites tried to spin it as "confirmed Friday" to which he had to come out and say its just speculation on his part. '

I don't see any reason Phil would need to lie about the fact that they weren't sure about the CMA result even the week of, remember how we were all so sure the CMA would pass it the first time around and look what happened.
Yeah Right Judging You GIF

Hestar69

I'm surprised WoW Isn't on consoles yet. if ff14 can do it so can Wow and I do know wow players have a shit load of hot keys on there screen though,so yeah,maybe make ppl use M&K or figure a way like FF14 does. but wow on xbox and ps5 would sell well.

Top Bottom