• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

"Yo, we're going to have almost double the population in Philly at once. How do we alleviate the transit systems?"
"Close stations."
"How the fuck did you get this job?"
"Trust me, bro."
"...fine."

it's really the only feasible way to get this done. I'm seeing articles here and there that are saying 2 million people coming for the pope is a lowball estimate.

So they released transport details for visitors and residents of Philly during the Papal Visit.

Tldr; WE ARE ALL SCREWED

it's not that bad.

You're right. The good news is that I'm not gonna be in Philly then! DOHOHOHOHO

The wife has family coming from out of town to
crash in my place and
attend this.

I'm working out the logistics in advance. There is no way there will be regional rail passes available anywhere near the end of september. People will be scalping them like eagles tickets on stubhub.

The Llama

I was raised Catholic (my parents aren't really that religious at all, and I consider myself an atheist now anyway, but they're typical parents so they wanted me to get confirmed/etc. haha) so I'll probably go see the pope just to say that I did. I have enough friends living in/around center city that even if I'm living somewhere else I'm sure I can find a place to stay haha.

I was raised Catholic (my parents aren't really that religious at all, and I consider myself an atheist now anyway, but they're typical parents so they wanted me to get confirmed/etc. haha) so I'll probably go see the pope just to say that I did. I have enough friends living in/around center city that even if I'm living somewhere else I'm sure I can find a place to stay haha.

I'm an atheist. my wife and her family are all super catholic. I'm just going to go tag along to watch the chaos. and get drunk. because there will be a lot of that going on I'm sure.

edit: does anyone think there's enough interest in the event to make an official PopePhilly OT?

esms

it's really the only feasible way to get this done. I'm seeing articles here and there that are saying 2 million people coming for the pope is a lowball estimate.

I was poking fun because urban transit planning must be a nightmare as is. With that said, this:

SEPTAServiceMapPapalVisit-OnBoardStationsONLY.jpeg

is madness.

Burt

Word on the street is that the pope is staying down the street from me at the Wayne Hotel. Apparently the Radnor Township administrators are getting briefed on it. Any confirmation on this?

To the Pub!

I went to Genos last night and tried to pay with my card but they said cash only so I had to use the ATM across the street and it had a 2.50 surcharge. That ATM is probably making a fuck ton of money off Genos.

esms

Wait a second... are there NO stops on ANYTHING in center city?! Or did they just not show those? Like... what?!

Those stops are where you can board. They're all express to Center City, but you can't board in Center City, only disembark. So if you end up in CC, enjoy your walk.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
we do have some fairly byzantine laws regarding beer and alcohol distribution. I'm not in favor of dismantling the state system (I actually think the private stores in jersey are worse IMO) but I'm not against using it as a bargaining chip if it comes down to getting more important things done.

really, the clock is ticking on the way things are done here. When people say pennsylvania and Utah are the last two states without anything resembling sanity in alcohol laws, that's a problem.

go eat at the gallery, come back and say that with a straight face.

yeah no shit enjoy the old Sbarro's

Word on the street is that the pope is staying down the street from me at the Wayne Hotel. Apparently the Radnor Township administrators are getting briefed on it. Any confirmation on this?

To the Pub!
Wait what? I'm in Strafford and we own an apartment in Wayne

There's NO WAY the Pope is staying in Wayne, he's probably at The Ritz or Four Seasons in the City, maybe some Archdiocese place. Hell he'd stay at some place at Villanova before the Wayne Hotel nice as it is.

Cool there's a WayneGAF though, the wife and I like Teresa's Next Door.

The Llama

I went to Genos last night and tried to pay with my card but they said cash only so I had to use the ATM across the street and it had a 2.50 surcharge. That ATM is probably making a fuck ton of money off Genos.

Haha yeah, I've used that one a bunch. Thank god PNC reimburses like 3 ATM fees a month for me.

Those stops are where you can board. They're all express to Center City, but you can't board in Center City, only disembark. So if you end up in CC, enjoy your walk.

Ah that makes sense then, thanks.

Pat's and Geno's can suck it

Tony Luke's or death

Also they'll likely book like eight hotels for the Pope just to throw everyone off.

I really can't decide if I want to stay in town for the Pope visit or bail out. I sort of want to see 2 million+ people on the parkway.

I have to drive to Scranton tonight. Bleh. I don't feel like driving. Oh well, free food/booze tomorrow.

Retrocide

Part of me understands....after the World Series Parade Septa collapsed under the weight of thousands of people trying to use the service at the same time. Suburban Station was so crammed with people that it took me an hour to walk from one end of the station to the other side. But this plan is a nightmare. I'm seriously thinking of leaving for that weekend.

Part of me understands....after the World Series Parade Septa collapsed under the weight of thousands of people trying to use the service at the same time. Suburban Station was so crammed with people that it took me an hour to walk from one end of the station to the other side. But this plan is a nightmare. I'm seriously thinking of leaving for that weekend.

I think this will be a little different because I don't anticipate the same sort of all at once usage that the parade entailed. That was literally like a half a million people using mass transit within 20 minutes after the parade ended. I would imagine this will be more spread out than all at once like the parade was. The only day that will be like that is probably after the papal mass on Sunday. Luckily that day won't clash with work commuters as much.

I walked to and from the parade. It's like a 20 min walk from my house to City Hall.

Also, the city passed an 8.5% AirBNB tax. So AirBNB is allowed but you have to report the income. People are saying they're getting like $1000 a night. I think I am going to have to knuckle down and rent my place out.

Ryuukan

Also, the city passed an 8.5% AirBNB tax. So AirBNB is allowed but you have to report the income. People are saying they're getting like $1000 a night. I think I am going to have to knuckle down and rent my place out.

is it really worth having your place smell like semen and vomit for months

Hey PhillyGAF, I'm going to be in Malvern for a job interview tomorrow and thought since I'll be close to Philly I should stop by. My wife has been wanting to check out the museums. Ideally we would like to be able to stay somewhere where we could go to the museums then maybe eat at a cheap/tasty BYOB restaurant for dinner. I'd like to just be able to park my car at the hotel and take the train/walk to wherever we need to go. Anyway, that would be the ideal, but the only issue is, we don't have a ton of cash to spare so this trip would be on the cheap.

Any recommendations on where to stay? Prices for hotels around center city seem to be $115+ and we were hoping for less than $100.

Thanks!

esms

They're always near Liberty Place, ya? Or near Love Park. So dumb.

Then there's that dude who just quotes the Bible all the damn day nearby

Yeah. The dude who has to give them their permits must be so angry at him/herself.

I'm jealous of their robes, though.

Hey PhillyGAF, I'm going to be in Malvern for a job interview tomorrow and thought since I'll be close to Philly I should stop by. My wife has been wanting to check out the museums. Ideally we would like to be able to stay somewhere where we could go to the museums then maybe eat at a cheap/tasty BYOB restaurant for dinner. I'd like to just be able to park my car at the hotel and take the train/walk to wherever we need to go. Anyway, that would be the ideal, but the only issue is, we don't have a ton of cash to spare so this trip would be on the cheap.

Any recommendations on where to stay? Prices for hotels around center city seem to be $115+ and we were hoping for less than $100.

Thanks!

First, congrats on the interview.

Second, for Center City/Old City/University City hotels, it's usually gonna run you a decent amount of money. A cursory search found this, though, so you may be in luck.

First, congrats on the interview.

Second, for Center City/Old City/University City hotels, it's usually gonna run you a decent amount of money. A cursory search found this, though, so you may be in luck.

I got really excited about that link but it turns out that price is for July. It jumps up to $134 if I set it to tomorrow. But thanks for searching for me!

Do you know of any areas near the city that might be convenient by rail? I don't know the Philadelphia area that well.

Edit: I'm wrong! It looks like they might have a $90 room at that hotel. I'm going to do a bit more research.

I got really excited about that link but it turns out that price is for July. It jumps up to $134 if I set it to tomorrow. But thanks for searching for me!

Do you know of any areas near the city that might be convenient by rail? I don't know the Philadelphia area that well.
There's a Septa station in Malvern

http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/w/PAO_1.html
That line runs right into Center City

Good luck with the interview!

Edit: I'm wrong! It looks like they might have a $90 room at that hotel. I'm going to do a bit more research.

I stayed at Club Quarters during one of my interviews in May. It's pretty nice. The room I had was a bit on the small side but didn't feel claustrophobic (for me at least).

The location is great - a lot of people out walking about and enjoying the nightlife. It was Tuesday night and it felt reminiscent to walking around parts of Manhattan.

Also, this was the only hotel I ever stayed in that provides complimentary purified water that you can bottle and take with you as many as you want.

I stayed at Club Quarters during one of my interviews in May. It's pretty nice. The room I had was a bit on the small side but didn't feel claustrophobic (for me at least).

The location is great - a lot of people out walking about and enjoying the nightlife. It was Tuesday night and it felt reminiscent to walking around parts of Manhattan.

Also, this was the only hotel I ever stayed in that provides complimentary purified water that you can bottle and take with you as many as you want.
I definitely want to go but I think we're going to have to skip Philly this trip due to lack of funds. Club Quarters sounds great, it's in the perfect location, and the price is right, so we've decided to stay there when we do finally get to Philly. I can't wait honestly :)

esms

7 people shot in Kensington, including an 11 year old girl. She's listed as stable, unknown on the rest.

Fuck.

It's K&A bro. That area is overrun with heroin and suffers massively because of it in the form of overdoses and gun violence in regards to the drug trade. I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and help things out there.

Despite it being in the midst of summer killing season the crime stats are still looking good. The homicide rate is exactly the same as last year, which while I'd like to see it have declined, it points to the historically low homicide rate in the past two years as not just an anomaly but an actual trend.

So far this year violent crime is down 2% and property crime is down 4% across the board. I'm still hopeful that the city can beat the 7% reduction in violent crime that we saw last year. Time will tell I guess, but any reduction is good.

esms

Despite it being in the midst of summer killing season the crime stats are still looking good. The homicide rate is exactly the same as last year, which while I'd like to see it have declined, it points to the historically low homicide rate in the past two years as not just an anomaly but an actual trend.

So far this year violent crime is down 2% and property crime is down 4% across the board. I'm still hopeful that the city can beat the 7% reduction in violent crime that we saw last year. Time will tell I guess, but any reduction is good.

I feel like it slows down a lot in the latter half of the year as well.

Y'all have fun with that storm?

Godsend. I'm on my last week of no AC and I really needed it.

It is incredibly orange here. Also lost power an hour after the storm and now it's been gone for an hour.

/ also yeah I can't even get a good picture cuz it's filtered out.

I snapped a photo on my nexus 5...cherry hill, nj. It was super orange everywhere but I didn't have my phone on me at the time to take that photo. Only got to catch it before it went down

3qjeBag.jpg

Top Bottom