• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Ryuukan

Wait wot, no

Most of the eateries at reading terminal are mall food court quality for 2x the price

Sang Kee is ok but the one in the Sheraton on Penn's campus is way better

It's a great place to go for groceries if center city is your only option

I wish we could just steal New Jersey's laws regarding alcohol. Just do that. We'll be fine!
Death to the beer distributor lobby.

we do have some fairly byzantine laws regarding beer and alcohol distribution. I'm not in favor of dismantling the state system (I actually think the private stores in jersey are worse IMO) but I'm not against using it as a bargaining chip if it comes down to getting more important things done.

really, the clock is ticking on the way things are done here. When people say pennsylvania and Utah are the last two states without anything resembling sanity in alcohol laws, that's a problem.

Most of the eateries at reading terminal are mall food court quality for 2x the price

go eat at the gallery, come back and say that with a straight face.

Hmmmmmm....that's disconcerting but given the conflicting opinions, I will have to see for myself. I had lunch at Garces Trading Company during my interview at TJU and their sandwhich and duck fat fried fries were quite good. I guess the point is, there exists a wider selection of dining options at center city compared to university city (or so I have been told).

Ryuukan

Hmmmmmm....that's disconcerting but given the conflicting opinions, I will have to see for myself. I had lunch at Garces Trading Company during my interview at TJU and their sandwhich and duck fat fried fries were quite good. I guess the point is, there exists a wider selection of dining options at center city compared to university city (or so I have been told).

I haven't been to some of the really newer places there that have popped up so I'm sure there's a handful of decent ones.

I can tell you to avoid the German place. Got a sandwich there and it was the only thing I ate that day. Made me violently ill the entire night.

Reading Terminal Market is godlike just because of the goddamn Amish bakery and rip sandwiches

Theyll make you convert due to how good they are

Re: the bolded, since when?

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworld/pennsylvania/mc-pennsylvania-house-passes-bill-that-allows-shipment-of-alcohol-to-residences--20150527-story.html

republicans don't care about that. they want to bust the union that runs the liquor stores. Everything else is details. I'm actually VERY good friends with the guy who wrote the liquor privatization bill under corbett. Privatization actually loses the state money, it doesn't generate revenue and everyone knows this.

as for the 30th? yeah. maybe slightly longer if things go WAY off the rails, but I don't anticipate that. Like I said- pension reform isn't happening. not only is there not enough support for it within the assembly, but it's unconstitutional. The leadership knows this, so don't expect pensions to be the issue that holds everything up. Wolf doesn't seem attached enough to liquor to let it derail everything else, so I think republicans might get that IF he can make it look like he saved pensions and lowered property tax in the process.

Actually for many republicans the direct mail stuff was one of the biggies. They actually didn't want to step on the Beer Distributor owner groups. Beer Distributors also wanted the 12 pack legislation (strangely craft brewers did not) because they thought it would drive more traffic their way and away from the bottle shops style places. They were also against privatization because it would allow beer to be sold in supermarkets. They have a pretty powerful lobby, and a decent chunk of republicans were swayed by them.

I don't know Tom Ferrick, but Smerconish has always been a jackass. Newsworks is WHYY- not bad but again they're focused on Philadelphia and Jersey, with very little harrisburg coverage. You'll see more on chris christie than you will on the budget negotiations.

Smerconish is an actual moderate conservative. He's a jackass on the radio but his writing is actually pretty good. Ferrick is just a local politics guy. But yeah, I'm generally far more concerned with city politics because they actually effect me more than state or national politics.

:eek: that's pretty cool! How long ago was this? I graduated 267. One of the things I really, really appreciated about the school that I didn't at the time was the sheer diversity of the student body. As a young dummy, I didn't really appreciate the benefits of that environment until I moved on to undergrad and now my masters program.

5 years ago. I taught physics and pre-calculus. It was such a great school. I loved how diverse the student body was.

blakep267

:eek: that's pretty cool! How long ago was this? I graduated 267. One of the things I really, really appreciated about the school that I didn't at the time was the sheer diversity of the student body. As a young dummy, I didn't really appreciate the benefits of that environment until I moved on to undergrad and now my masters program.
You were 267? I was in 267. Hence the name

Pbae

Reading Terminal Market is godlike just because of the goddamn Amish bakery and rip sandwiches

Theyll make you convert due to how good they are

Also, In the back they have this Grilled Cheese station that is on point. I love that place too much...

rWjYi6X.jpg

I have never in my life seen as many fliers for a dog. They are like 50 feet apart at the furthest in a ten block radius from Fairmount. These people really miss their dog : (

Damn, $2500? I'm about to go on a manhunt.

"Bentley the Dog is a five year old Maltese and Yorkie mix. He was last seen on Thursday, May 14 in his owners apartment in the Fairmount section of Philadelphia. Bentley disappeared under very mysterious circumstances while inside a very secure apartment building. Everyone who loves him is very concerned for his safety. A police report was filed but no action has been taken."

I can understand why they'd be so upset.

Smerconish is an actual moderate conservative. He's a jackass on the radio but his writing is actually pretty good. Ferrick is just a local politics guy. But yeah, I'm generally far more concerned with city politics because they actually effect me more than state or national politics.

We'll agree to disagree on smerconish. I have no time for conservative talk radio blowhards.

As for city vs. state politics, Philadelphia residents vastly underrate how much of an affect state politics has, and vastly overrate the influence of city government.

Your school system being a smoldering ruin is entirely the fault of the state's disastrous attempt to privatize the philadelphia school system, then doubling down on charters. There is literally nothing the mayor or city council can do to fix this.

Speaking of the Reading Terminal...

1. Go to Beilers Bakery in the northwest corner.

2. Buy an apple fritter.

It is one of, if not THE best way to spend $1 in the city,

We'll agree to disagree on smerconish. I have no time for conservative talk radio blowhards.

As for city vs. state politics, Philadelphia residents vastly underrate how much of an affect state politics has, and vastly overrate the influence of city government.

Your school system being a smoldering ruin is entirely the fault of the state's disastrous attempt to privatize the philadelphia school system, then doubling down on charters. There is literally nothing the mayor or city council can do to fix this.

It's not just that, although that has been a huge factor.The state did plenty of other things to screw it up. It's the fact the the state controls the school district entirely through the SRC. It's the fact that under Corbett state funding to the school was drastically cut.

I don't think Philly residents underrate it, they're keenly aware of when they have to rely on the state for many things. But things like local tax and spending policies, zoning and development matters, things like councilmanic prerogative and patronage jobs, etc., all of which have a vast day to day impact, rely far more on local politics. Obviously there is a ton of overlap between the state and city government, but in general city decisions have a far more noticeable impact in the day to day. That's especially the case when you have a situation like you did with Corbett and the republican controlled general assembly where the state would basically do nothing to help the city and it had to help itself.

It's pretty irksome that members of the general assembly have such a narrow view of things too. They despise putting any more money into the city, even though the city is the economic driver for most of the state.

esms

JLynn

Trading Places was on SpikeTV last night. I have to watch that movie every time it's on. I don't know why it escaped me that the police station was actually CCP/the old mint for so long.

My mom was there in the sidelines when they shot the panhandling scene from the beginning of the film. She said Eddie Murphy never stop broke out of character during that shoot.

Went to Volver tonight. We got the 12 course dinner. I got the wine pairing. It's interesting, we went to Vetri last year and had super high expectations but came away a tiny bit underwhelmed. At Volver we had low expectations based on reviews and commentary but we came away impressed. Overall I would say Vetri was still better, especially the beverage pairing, but Volver definitely had some great dishes. The nice thing about it was there was much greater style variation compared to Vetri, which was all Italian. My favorite dishes were a ceviche and an American wagyu dish. There were only three beverage pairings that really impressed me.

After dinner we stopped at R2L for a nightcap. Such a great view. Definitely need to go more often.

Smo21

From Toronto but I'm an eagles fan. Going to the bill eagles game with my buddies that are bills fans. Ones really worried about getting pelted with batteries. How much do they have to worry? He plans on wearing a bills jersey.

From Toronto but I'm an eagles fan. Going to the bill eagles game with my buddies that are bills fans. Ones really worried about getting pelted with batteries. How much do they have to worry? He plans on wearing a bills jersey.

As the Llama said, they will get pelted if they are in the year 1965. Otherwise? Just verbal abuse.

The Llama

Sometimes living in the far northeast I feel like i'm not apart of the city.

Ya know, growing up in the suburbs I never understood why people said the northeast felt unconnected to the rest of the city (etc.), but after moving to university city... I totally understand it. The northeast is weird.

Ya know, growing up in the suburbs I never understood why people said the northeast felt unconnected to the rest of the city (etc.), but after moving to university city... I totally understand it. The northeast is weird.

none of the subways run anywhere near it, so yeah, it's cut off. The residents prefer it that way, from what I've been told about numerous failed attempts to extend mass transit lines there.

Demographically it's at odds with the rest of the city, despite philadelphia's population being about 45% black, only 18% of black residents live in the northeast.

Three guesses where the majority of the Philadelphia PD happen to live.

none of the subways run anywhere near it, so yeah, it's cut off. The residents prefer it that way, from what I've been told about numerous failed attempts to extend mass transit lines there.

Demographically it's at odds with the rest of the city, despite philadelphia's population being about 45% black, only 18% of black residents live in the northeast.

And here I thought you didn't know Tom Ferrick

esms

Looking at the city on the racial dot map is funny when you get to the northeast.

Philadelphia international cycling classic was today in Manayunk. Very cool event, apparently it's also the biggest single day cycling race in North America. Manayunk was hopping when I walked down earlier

andthebeatgoeson

I was about to say Llama, 'Tell us how you feel about thugs' so we can judge you.

Does anyone know how bad the roach problem is in center city (rittenhouse sq/washington sq west/society hill areas) and university city?

Philly is a large metropolis and like any city, im sure roaches are problematic but im wondering how prevalent the issue is in some of the better neighborhoods. Also, considering that rowhomes typify a lot of these neighborhoods, i can imagine it being a persistent problem if your neighbor happens to be a hoarder despite your best efforts to prevent infestation.

bigkrev

How old are you?
There is a good chance this hasn't been an issue since before you were born

esms

Does anyone know how bad the roach problem is in center city (rittenhouse sq/washington sq west/society hill areas) and university city?

Philly is a large metropolis and like any city, im sure roaches are problematic but im wondering how prevalent the issue is in some of the better neighborhoods. Also, considering that rowhomes typify a lot of these neighborhoods, i can imagine it being a persistent problem if your neighbor happens to be a hoarder despite your best efforts to prevent infestation.

All you can do is do your due diligence. I have a buddy who lived in a bed bug infested apartment for a year and management was awful. He moved down the street to a house and has had no problems. He is just off Drexel's campus in university city.

Just do research and, if you end up looking at houses, inspect it with a fine tooth comb. It would suck to get burned by something like that.

The Llama

I see mice in my apartment in university city every few weeks (they come and go; sometimes I'll go a few months without seeing/hearing one) but they don't do anything except run across the floor so I don't really care (that makes me sound like a terribly messy person, I bet haha). Kind of bothered me at first but I got used to it and its whatever. I don't think roaches are a big problem generally (I can't think of anyone I know who has had a roach problem in the city), but I'm sure some places have problems with them.

OP left out some really nice places to hang out I'd like to suggest go in the OP.

I see mice in my apartment in university city every few weeks (they come and go; sometimes I'll go a few months without seeing/hearing one) but they don't do anything except run across the floor so I don't really care (that makes me sound like a terribly messy person, I bet haha).
Same. No problem with roaches though.

They seem to come and go with the weather, at least in my place. They were really bad 2 winters ago (the ridiculously cold one). It's part of why I can't even be too mad about it, they just want to get out of the cold!
For me, depends on my neighbors. I've been in my building for about 8 years and I've seen tenants come and go. There's a direct correlation with certain tenants with the increase in roaches. In this case, I like to think correlation = causation. Haven't seen any for the past two years. Mice come and go, but that's more my roommate's fault since he sucks at cleaning up after himself. I spend half my time in Bala Cynwyd, shouldn't come home to see crumbs on the kitchen counter!

Pbae

I use to live near Rittenhouse Square on Locust and I had a few roaches but it wasn't that bad. I was on the second floor.

I installed weather strips underneath my door as well as insulation on my windows and I never saw any roaches after that.

Thanks for the replies. For some odd reason, I can handle mice better probably b/c they are furry mammals but roaches gross the living piss out of me when in fact they are both equally gross as pests.

I read in some other forum that some Philly streets have water running underneath them and this underlies why roach problem exists for some streets and not others. This is concerning b/c if true, you can't do anything except not buying the property.

Also, how would I do due diligence on something like this? A roach infestation is probably not hard to spot but if the seller is doing their best to cover it up, what else can I do besides asking the owner/neighbors point blank and looking for combat baits in cupboards? I looked around to see if there are home pest inspection services (akin to regular home inspection) and most of the hits seem to revolve around termites or inspecting an already existing problem.

Suggest away my friend. I'll update when I get back from work.
Sure thing. For restaurants, I'd recommend a few WestPhillyGAF are familiar with in Saad's Halal, Manakeesh, and Kaffa Crossing. Great stuff - and Saad's actually has the best cheesesteak in the city in my opinion.

Also, for Center City West/Rittenhous area, Vic's is a great place for sushi.

For entertainment, I'm a little bias because I love hanging up out in Center City West. I usually hit up Smiths if I don't feel like pre-gaming at home as they have very cheap drinks that are actually good. Byblos is great for hookah too.

Maybe we should do a PhillyGAF Sips meet up or something, I think that would be fun. Just throwing that out there.

Top Bottom