• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

ericexpo

As for commuting to the city, you are absolutely right about taking the public transit making more sense. However, my wife is really against replying on public transit other than very short commutes (her commute now is~1.5 hrs). She is also reluctant to expose our daughter to public transit since she wants the daycare to be very close to one of our work. All these preconditions have made this home search harder than it should be.....ughhh.

Thanks again for all the input!

I took the train to work for years still take it back to my parents in the burbs. Feel like public transport gets a bad rap. Region Rail is filled with business people coming from the suburbs each morning. Only time it's a little bad is past 12am when all the drunks get on. RR is the cleanest mode of public transport.

property tax can vary depending on where you are- but wage tax will be higher if you live and work within the city, as opposed to just living outside of the city and commuting in. You'll likely have to do the math to see how much you'll ACTUALLY be paying in taxes- but keep in mind that as I said earlier in the thread that property tax rates across the entire state are in the process of being completely overhauled for the current budget year. Nothing you see currently is going to be correct re: property taxes in a couple of months.

as to your second point- in this area you're wasting your money on private school. The philly suburbs area is home to several very, very, VERY good public school systems:

Pittsburgh Business Journal regularly ranks PA's school districts (there are 500 of these) yearly.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2015/04/10/chester-county-district-ranks-no-1-in-pennsylvania.html

in the immediate area, you have:

Chadds Ford-Unionville SD (chester county) at #1
Radnor School District (delaware county) at #2
Lower Merion SD (Montgomery) at #6
Tredyeffrin-Easttown SD (Chester County) at #7
Wallingford-Swarthmore SD (Delaware County) at #9
Rose Tree-Media SD (Delaware County) at #11
Central Bucks (Bucks County) at #12

on top of that, US news puts out a yearly ranking that shows you where these schools place nationally-

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/pennsylvania/rankings?int=c0b4c1

That list is high schools only, but DOES include magnet and charter schools, and should give you an idea of how good the district is. These districts absolutely smoke any private school you can think of, without costing you 20K per year. Virtually no one that lives in these areas sends their kids to private schools for anything other than religious reasons.

As to your wife's concerns about public transportation, regional rail isn't the subway. it's just professionals going about their business in the morning and afternoons. I suggest taking it before writing it off.
We're in Tredyffrin and both our lids are in public schools and we're very happy. Taxes are about 6,000/year on our house that we could likely sell for something in the low $500's (houses on our street have been going for more recently). Quality of life is good but it's definitely the suburbs and everything that goes with it, both good and bad. My son is also special needs and we've been really happy with the help that we've gotten through the County (Chester) and the school district.

The Llama

property tax can vary depending on where you are- but wage tax will be higher if you live and work within the city, as opposed to just living outside of the city and commuting in. You'll likely have to do the math to see how much you'll ACTUALLY be paying in taxes- but keep in mind that as I said earlier in the thread that property tax rates across the entire state are in the process of being completely overhauled for the current budget year. Nothing you see currently is going to be correct re: property taxes in a couple of months.

as to your second point- in this area you're wasting your money on private school. The philly suburbs area is home to several very, very, VERY good public school systems:

Pittsburgh Business Journal regularly ranks PA's school districts (there are 500 of these) yearly.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2015/04/10/chester-county-district-ranks-no-1-in-pennsylvania.html

on top of that, US news puts out a yearly ranking that shows you where these schools place nationally-

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/pennsylvania/rankings?int=c0b4c1

That list is high schools only, but DOES include magnet and charter schools, and should give you an idea of how good the district is. These districts absolutely smoke any private school you can think of, without costing you 20K per year. Virtually no one that lives in these areas sends their kids to private schools for anything other than religious reasons.

As to your wife's concerns about public transportation, regional rail isn't the subway. it's just professionals going about their business in the morning and afternoons. I suggest taking it before writing it off.

Dang, my high school is in like the 50's, I thought it was a lot better than that haha.

Then again I was like 11th in my class when I applied to college and end up at a state school so maybe that's correct.

Burt

Suck it, LM, 'Stoga, and Strath Haven.

Just kidding, Central League bros

I actually thought Conestoga was tops nowadays

I think his point was that if he was living in the city private school was an option. He's right about that, but forget catholic school and check out friends select/quaker schools.

of course it's an option, but a lot of people moving in from outside of the area don't realize just how good the local school districts actually are. You COULD send your kid to private school in the city, but you'd be spending significant amounts of money for an education that isn't any better. That's hard to justify. I'm not the only person who thinks this way- Philly being unable to keep millenials with children inside the city is a well documented problem.

I'd rather spend $20k to send my kid to private school than live in a suburb.

I don't know if that's entirely fair. I spent 4 years in Philly just off girard avenue in fishtown. Walking distance to the piazza, JB's, Frankford Hall, etc. Since moving, the Media area is just awesome, not a single regret about moving down here. And if I want to head downtown (which I do, fairly often) regional rail gets me there easily without having to drive. I don't think I'd be entirely comfortable in say, Malvern- but the suburbs aren't all cookie cutter mcmansions- downtown media is pretty active.

Suck it, LM, 'Stoga, and Strath Haven.

Just kidding, Central League bros

I actually thought Conestoga was tops nowadays

Conestoga is VERY good, but it looks like the total percentage of kids taking and passing the AP exams this year knocked them down in the US news rankings a little bit.

Dang, my high school is in like the 50's, I thought it was a lot better than that haha.

Then again I was like 11th in my class when I applied to college and end up at a state school so maybe that's correct.

Pfft. State school?

lk4auWW.png

just fucking with you. My high school was ranked nearly dead last. Also went to state school

Thanks for sharing your perspectives.

I have been told that Philly suburbs have some of the best public schools around and it would be foolish not to take advantage of them if you can. And if we decide to live in one of those areas, we would not hesitate to enroll our daughter. But as AbortedWalrusFetus already stated, I was mentioning the possibility of going the private school route as a contingency plan rather than our primary preference.

Of course, we can always move to those areas with good district and reply on the regional rail systems, especially for those towns that are further away, and tell my wife to suck it up and deal with it. However, another confounding factor is that, due to the nature of our work, our schedules can be capricious at times and thus relying on a rigid rail schedule system can become very cumbersome. This is a big part of the reason why my wife wants us to drive in to work if we live out in the suburb but as many have already expressed, this is inadvisable.

Manmademan's point about the taxes currently being overhauled (as well as calculating in the wage tax being higher if we reside within the city) is an excellent one and I will keep an eye on that. Depending on the outcome, we may change the calculus in our approach. As such, most, if not all, our criteria for where to buy are fluid; we will have to adjust accordingly as we nail down various unknowns and spend some appreciable time in the various areas.

Thanks for all those that chimed in. There is already a wealth of knowledge many of you provided that I will further look into.

Traffic sucks in either direction. there's no real way around it. If your fiancee is going to school in the city, I'm guessing that's either penn, drexel, or temple so you're pretty much taking 76 in and out. BOTH directions are horrendous during peak times.

I would probably suggest getting a place in king of prussia, somewhere near 422. Have your fiancee take regional rail into the city (a drive to the closest station is only a few minutes, I believe) and you can drive into reading in about 45 minutes, maybe an hour depending on traffic.

shouldn't be an issue staying under that budget either, but it's been a long time since I've looked for rentals.

Check out Phoenixville or Collegeville. It's 45mins or so to Reading and close to the main line train stations.

Thanks for this. Will check out burbs close to a rail and will definitely look into Phoenixville and Collegeville.

I look forward to exploring the city and wearing Cubs'/Bears'/Bulls' jerseys at Philadelphia sporting events.

The Llama

Thanks for sharing your perspectives.

I have been told that Philly suburbs have some of the best public schools around and it would be foolish not to take advantage of them if you can. And if we decide to live in one of those areas, we would not hesitate to enroll our daughter. But as AbortedWalrusFetus already stated, I was mentioning the possibility of going the private school route as a contingency plan rather than our primary preference.

Of course, we can always move to those areas with good district and reply on the regional rail systems, especially for those towns that are further away, and tell my wife to suck it up and deal with it. However, another confounding factor is that, due to the nature of our work, our schedules can be capricious at times and thus relying on a rigid rail schedule system can become very cumbersome. This is a big part of the reason why my wife wants us to drive in to work if we live out in the suburb but as many have already expressed, this is inadvisable.

Manmademan's point about the taxes currently being overhauled (as well as calculating in the wage tax being higher if we reside within the city) is an excellent one and I will keep an eye on that. Depending on the outcome, we may change the calculus in our approach. As such, most, if not all, our criteria for where to buy are fluid; we will have to adjust accordingly as we nail down various unknowns and spend some appreciable time in the various areas.

Thanks for all those that chimed in. There is already a wealth of knowledge many of you provided that I will further look into.

The regional rail schedule is pretty good, tbf to SEPTA. During peak hours most lines run every 15 minutes (I think there's a train to Jenkintown every 7-8 minutes most of the day, since like 3 lines run there), and roughly every half hour during non peak hours. I guess my point being, even with a crazy schedule, I don't think you'd ever have to worry about missing a train and then needing to wait an hour for the next one. There's also the Norristown high speed line (kind of a light rail type thing) that I think runs pretty frequently.

You should still live in the city though, just be aware of the wage tax!

There are very good public school districts, most of which are on the west side of the Schuylkill. But if you want to live in the city and can afford it, stick with private schools.

BTW, plenty of people live in those main line districts (Radnor, Lower Merion, etc) and still send their kids to private schools like Episcopal or St Joes Prep. By just about any measure the elite private schools are better than their public counterparts. It's just matter of whether it's worth the money for your child and if you can afford it. Some kids are Ivy bound no matter where they go, some need more support, etc.

Oh and forget about the wage tax. If you work in the city it barely matters where you live. For residents it's 3.92%. For non-residents it's 3.49%.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Oh neat, a Philly GAF thread. I live in Cheltenham and work in Center City after going to Drexel, so yeah.

Nothing to contribute just yet.

Admodieus

Currently live in Bella Vista renting, looking to buy a house in the next couple of years. Would like to be in a spot where the local school district is pretty decent, but there's also public transportation to get into center city (as I have to go there for work often). Would also like there to be a little activity/nightlife wherever I end up. Looking at Media and Collingswood so far - anybody have other suggestions or can vouch for one of those?

Currently live in Bella Vista renting, looking to buy a house in the next couple of years. Would like to be in a spot where the local school district is pretty decent, but there's also public transportation to get into center city (as I have to go there for work often). Would also like there to be a little activity/nightlife wherever I end up. Looking at Media and Collingswood so far - anybody have other suggestions or can vouch for one of those?

Every time I saw your name I figured you were from Philly because of the bar. Depending on where you live in Bella Vista you probably don't even need to move for a school. Meredith School covers parts of Queen Village and Bella Vista and is one of the best public schools in Philly. Not ALL Philly schools are bad, just most. Once the funding gets ironed out schools like Meredith will continue to thrive.

esms

It's been wild here.

- Last week of classes (for quite a long time)
- Signed the lease for my new place come July
- My job's pumped to give me more work once I start full time in about a week

Hope everyone's been doing well.

By the way, the Lion King Musical was pretty damn good. Not bad seats for what we paid :).

Good to hear. I've been seeing those banners everywhere.

Admodieus

Every time I saw your name I figured you were from Philly because of the bar. Depending on where you live in Bella Vista you probably don't even need to move for a school. Meredith School covers parts of Queen Village and Bella Vista and is one of the best public schools in Philly. Not ALL Philly schools are bad, just most. Once the funding gets ironed out schools like Meredith will continue to thrive.

Yeah, it's more for the old neighborhood name than the bar, but spot on. The problem is that I'm renting in QV/BV area...I don't think I could ever afford to buy. Stepped into an open house for a recently rehabbed townhome at like 6th and Catharine about a month ago, asking price was $940K.

andthebeatgoeson

Awesome timing for this thread!

I'm hoping resident Philadelphians can share some insight. My family (wife and a 3yo daughter) will be relocating to Philadelphia this fall. Wife will be working at University City and I will be at Center City (TJU to be exact). We're currently debating where to purchase a home.

As someone alluded to earlier in the thread, main line burbs have been driven into our thought process as the place to live (due to school districts) but we're having second thoughts, largely due to the commute (I hear traffic can be horrendous) and because my little one won't be attending school for another couple of years. As close proximity to our work is the most attractive criteria, we are considering purchasing somewhere near TJU (i.e. Rittenhouse Sq, Washington Square West, Society Hill).

Our max budget is ~500K for a 2Br/2Ba (or1.5ba) and based on Trulia/Zillow, this looks like this is too low for Rittenhouse Sq and only tiny unattractive places look to be in our price range in other areas I mentioned. Have home prices in these areas always been this high? Am I not looking in the right places? Our price range also appears too low for a place in main line burbs with reasonable commute time such as Lower Merion. Are there other locations I missed in my search that fit our bill?

Also, is it really safe to live in Center City area such as Washington Square West? Trulia crime/safety ratings seems to indicate pockets of high crime rates, particularly around city hall and TJU, which are areas I thought to be safe.

Any input would be much appreciated!
Also, consider Jersey. Not as great as living downtown for entertainment purposes but an easy commute. Hop on PATCO and you can be downtown in 30 minutes. Free parking at most Patco stations. The schools are better than in the city.

Although, if you are enamored with the city, they have two, nationally recognized magnet schools (Masterman and Central; I was in 255 for a year). Masterman starts at 5th grade, so you would just have to find a great elementary school and force the kids to work hard to get good grades.

South Philly has some good neighborhoods to buy property and be close to Uni and TJU. Have fun at TJU, great hospital and school. I'm getting all misty thinking about it. Spent 4 great years drunk walking home to 10th and Spruce.

Also, consider Jersey. Not as great as living downtown for entertainment purposes but an easy commute. Hop on PATCO and you can be downtown in 30 minutes. Free parking at most Patco stations. The schools are better than in the city.

Although, if you are enamored with the city, they have two, nationally recognized magnet schools (Masterman and Central; I was in 255 for a year). Masterman starts at 5th grade, so you would just have to find a great elementary school and force the kids to work hard to get good grades.

South Philly has some good neighborhoods to buy property and be close to Uni and TJU. Have fun at TJU, great hospital and school. I'm getting all misty thinking about it. Spent 4 great years drunk walking home to 10th and Spruce.

I used to teach at Central, man that was such a great school.

Jersey taxes are too damn high if you make any significant amount of money. It's the same tax rate as Philly, or higher, with none of the benefits of urban living. That said, Collingswood is pretty awesome.

Anyway yeah I am banking on my future kid getting into Masterman or Central, so it's just elementary I've got to worry about. We currently live near Masterman and all of the kids that go there seem great, well behaved, and very motivated.

The Llama

Jersey taxes are too damn high if you make any significant amount of money. It's the same tax rate as Philly, or higher, with none of the benefits of urban living. That said, Collingswood is pretty awesome.

Anyway yeah I am banking on my future kid getting into Masterman or Central, so it's just elementary I've got to worry about. We currently live near Masterman and all of the kids that go there seem great, well behaved, and very motivated.

Move to university city and hope they can get into the Penn Alexander school! Haha.

Move to university city and hope they can get into the Penn Alexander school! Haha.

I am actually contemplating moving into Domus in U. City in the near future. My wife and I kind of want to do a big expensive year of having fun and getting crazy before we settle down and have a kid. Looking at one of the two bedrooms.

The Llama

I am actually contemplating moving into Domus in U. City in the near future. My wife and I kind of want to do a big expensive year of having fun and getting crazy before we settle down and have a kid. Looking at one of the two bedrooms.

I know some people who lived there (being across the street from the law school made it a little convenient haha). So expensive, but so nice. Not a bad plan if ya got the finances for it!

esms

Domus is such a fucking rip. Although, if you've got the money to blow, you might as well.

It's basically a dorm, though. I've been in there a few times and not once was I sober, so be prepared if you pull the trigger.

I know some people who lived there (being across the street from the law school made it a little convenient haha). So expensive, but so nice. Not a bad plan if ya got the finances for it!

Yeah it would nearly triple our housing costs, but it would only be for a year so it would basically just come at the expense of our retirement funds/restaurant budget.

Domus is such a fucking rip. Although, if you've got the money to blow, you might as well.

It's basically a dorm, though. I've been in there a few times and not once was I sober, so be prepared if you pull the trigger.

All luxury apartments are a rip. The dorm thing has worried me about Domus though, but I was under the impression it was mostly grad students.

It's tough, we have three requirements. We want a place that is pet friendly, has a pool, and has 2br/2ba apartments that are at least 1200sqft. The maximum we want to spend per month is about $3500. Unfortunately finding places with all three of those requirements is actually pretty hard.

esms

All luxury apartments are a rip. The dorm thing has worried me about Domus though, but I was under the impression it was mostly grad students.

Quite a few undergrads and gets decently rowdy on the weekends.

It's tough, we have three requirements. We want a place that is pet friendly, has a pool, and has 2br/2ba apartments that are at least 1200sqft. The maximum we want to spend per month is about $3500. Unfortunately finding places with all three of those requirements is actually pretty hard.

I know of a complex that fits the criteria except for 1.5 bath and no pool for $1950/mo. Depending on how important those two things are, it may be worth checking out.

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2015/06/01/where-to-rent-philadelphia-apartment-help.php

Rental buildings in Philadelphia. Was just looking up Evo near 30th street, has a pool on the roof.

Evo is dorms almost in the literal sense. The apartment layouts are geared toward students only, not geared toward actual young established adult living.

Quite a few undergrads and gets decently rowdy on the weekends.

Good to know. Looks like I'll cross that off the list.

I know of a complex that fits the criteria except for 1.5 bath and no pool for $1950/mo. Depending on how important those two things are, it may be worth checking out.

It's actually pretty easy to find stuff if you drop the pool, but that's one of the main things we want. I live in Francisville now, so I certainly wouldn't want to move further from CC or the BSL as Brewerytown would be. I want more downtown nightlife and convenience.

The other thing is, there is not a ton of vacancies in a lot of places. I don't know how, but demand for luxury highrise apartments is huge. Rents for them are being driven up because demand is there and supply is not. That's why we're going to see something like 5-6 luxury highrises being completed in the next 2-3 years.

esms

It's actually pretty easy to find stuff if you drop the pool, but that's one of the main things we want. I live in Francisville now, so I certainly wouldn't want to move further from CC or the BSL as Brewerytown would be. I want more downtown nightlife and convenience.

The other thing is, there is not a ton of vacancies in a lot of places. I don't know how, but demand for luxury highrise apartments is huge. Rents for them are being driven up because demand is there and supply is not. That's why we're going to see something like 5-6 luxury highrises being completed in the next 2-3 years.

Agreed on all points.

I'm fine with Brewerytown, though. For a fresh out college grad, it's right in my wheelhouse. Bus runs through the neighborhood as well.

I haven't looked to deep into it but check out if 3737 Chestnut fits the criteria. I think it's supposed to have a pool.

lowkey subscribed to this thread to get free real estate advice from AbortedWalrusFetus(bruh, the name).

It's a weird hobby I have but I've been following the real estate development scene in the city for almost five years. You really don't get a good picture about how the city is on the brink of exploding unless you do. There will be a dozen tower cranes up this year. That is a very large number for Philadelphia. There are several skyscrapers including the new tallest building in the city being built right now. There's a rumor Comcast might build a THIRD building going around.

If the city can reform business taxes in the way the Philadelphia Growth Coalition has outlined it will be a big deal. I think it will be the tipping point in terms of Philadelphia having stagnant and non-existent job growth to the city booming with jobs.

Thank you and others for the input. We will keep NJ in mind. The fact that there is a Wegmans in Cherry Hill makes it extremely tempting.

I'm looking forward to forging a new path at TJU and making Philly my new home. I can't wait to take a short walk to Reading Terminal Market at lunch and trying out every delicious looking food available (and make my wife jealous)!

Thorakai

I used to teach at Central, man that was such a great school.

:eek: that's pretty cool! How long ago was this? I graduated 267. One of the things I really, really appreciated about the school that I didn't at the time was the sheer diversity of the student body. As a young dummy, I didn't really appreciate the benefits of that environment until I moved on to undergrad and now my masters program.

The Llama

It's a weird hobby I have but I've been following the real estate development scene in the city for almost five years. You really don't get a good picture about how the city is on the brink of exploding unless you do. There will be a dozen tower cranes up this year. That is a very large number for Philadelphia. There are several skyscrapers including the new tallest building in the city being built right now. There's a rumor Comcast might build a THIRD building going around.

If the city can reform business taxes in the way the Philadelphia Growth Coalition has outlined it will be a big deal. I think it will be the tipping point in terms of Philadelphia having stagnant and non-existent job growth to the city booming with jobs.

You ever go on SkyscraperPage? I used to post there years ago but I use it to keep up with development in the city. Great forum for urban development, sounds like you'd like reading it to (if you don't already).

The PA house unanimously voted against Wolf's tax plan. Great job guys. There's no way the budget is in by the end of the month.

Not really. Politics is fun. What the PA house did was split the "revenue generating" and "tax relief" portions into two separate bills for voting. No one wants to be on record as voting for a straight tax raise bill with nothing else attached, because that will just come back to haunt you during election season.

House Majority Leader Dave Reed, R-Indiana, said afterward, the Republicans only staged the vote on the governor's tax package because the Democrats had insisted on having the chamber vote on the governor's spending plan. A motion to consider that $29.9 billion plan failed to gain a single Republican vote.

"If you are going to vote on one, you have to vote on the other to go along with it," Reed said.

http://www.pennlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/get_the_popcorn_curtain_rises.html#incart_river

never intended to pass. didn't get republican OR democratic votes. This is political theatre, but par for the course for the PA general assembly.

what's ACTUALLY happening with the budget?

A day after House Republicans sent a message to Gov. Tom Wolf that they are not on board with his $29.9 billion spending plan or the tax package he proposed to support it, GOP leaders from both legislative chambers met behind closed doors at the budget table with the governor.

http://www.pennlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/state_budget_wolf_gop_leaders.html#incart_river

a compromise bill between the governor's plan, and the house plan is being hammered out behind closed doors. Neither one has enough support to pass entirely on it's own, so there's going to be some give and take on both sides. Republicans want pension reform (which they won't get) and liquor privatization (which they might) in exchange for the things Wolf wants. we'll see how that pans out.

note that I'm linking to pennlive, which is the harrisburg patriot-news website. The philly dailies are all absolutely fucking horrendous at covering and explaining what goes on in harrisburg.

Not really. Politics is fun. What the PA house did was split the "revenue generating" and "tax relief" portions into two separate bills for voting. No one wants to be on record as voting for a straight tax raise bill with nothing else attached, because that will just come back to haunt you during election season.

http://www.pennlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/get_the_popcorn_curtain_rises.html#incart_river

never intended to pass. didn't get republican OR democratic votes. This is political theatre, but par for the course for the PA general assembly.

what's ACTUALLY happening with the budget?

http://www.pennlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/state_budget_wolf_gop_leaders.html#incart_river

a compromise bill between the governor's plan, and the house plan is being hammered out behind closed doors. Neither one has enough support to pass entirely on it's own, so there's going to be some give and take on both sides. Republicans want pension reform (which they won't get) and liquor privatization (which they might) in exchange for the things Wolf wants. we'll see how that pans out.

note that I'm linking to pennlive, which is the harrisburg patriot-news website. The philly dailies are all absolutely fucking horrendous at covering and explaining what goes on in harrisburg.

Yeah I've been following it. You think it will be in by the end of the month though? I see this sort of theater going for a while. On the privatization front there has actually been a lot of steps taken that should appease republicans. Direct mail wine, 12 packs at beer distributors, and a few other advancements. Don't think they'll get full on privatization though.

It's a shame Tom Ferrick doesn't write much any more because he was one of the few political writers that didn't rub me the wrong way. I like Smerconish but he's too focused on national politics which interests/effects me less. I just use newsworks for my political news really.

Ryuukan

Thank you and others for the input. We will keep NJ in mind. The fact that there is a Wegmans in Cherry Hill makes it extremely tempting.

I'm looking forward to forging a new path at TJU and making Philly my new home. I can't wait to take a short walk to Reading Terminal Market at lunch and trying out every delicious looking food available (and make my wife jealous)!

The food trucks on Drexel and Penn campuses blow the lunch options at reading terminal market out of the water

You will be jelly

esms

Yeah I've been following it. You think it will be in by the end of the month though? I see this sort of theater going for a while. On the privatization front there has actually been a lot of steps taken that should appease republicans. Direct mail wine, 12 packs at beer distributors, and a few other advancements. Don't think they'll get full on privatization though.

It's a shame Tom Ferrick doesn't write much any more because he was one of the few political writers that didn't rub me the wrong way. I like Smerconish but he's too focused on national politics which interests/effects me less. I just use newsworks for my political news really.

Re: the bolded, since when?

republicans don't care about that. they want to bust the union that runs the liquor stores. Everything else is details. I'm actually VERY good friends with the guy who wrote the liquor privatization bill under corbett. Privatization actually loses the state money, it doesn't generate revenue and everyone knows this.

as for the 30th? yeah. maybe slightly longer if things go WAY off the rails, but I don't anticipate that. Like I said- pension reform isn't happening. not only is there not enough support for it within the assembly, but it's unconstitutional. The leadership knows this, so don't expect pensions to be the issue that holds everything up. Wolf doesn't seem attached enough to liquor to let it derail everything else, so I think republicans might get that IF he can make it look like he saved pensions and lowered property tax in the process.

I don't know Tom Ferrick, but Smerconish has always been a jackass. Newsworks is WHYY- not bad but again they're focused on Philadelphia and Jersey, with very little harrisburg coverage. You'll see more on chris christie than you will on the budget negotiations.

The Llama

I wish we could just steal New Jersey's laws regarding alcohol. Just do that. We'll be fine!
Death to the beer distributor lobby.

Top Bottom