• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix man gives up his firearms after Vegas attack and receives death threats.

Worth mentioning that he's factually incorrect. The overwhelming majority of adults are not gun owners, and the percentage of adults who own guns has been on a long decline.

The ridiculous number of guns in this country are because of gun hoarders like him. There's a reason that the average number of guns owned by a household that actually owns guns is slightly over 8. In fact, there were some recent stats that basically half the guns in America are owned by 3% of the population.

zeemumu

I'm guessing the people sending the death threats are on the thought path of "if we threaten him then he'll feel the need to get guns to protect himself" while everyone else just sees "if this is all it takes for you to threaten someone with death then we're really sure you shouldn't have a gun."

Xe4

Banned
People will do anything but admit there's no logical reason they need to own 30 guns. Their twisted thinking makes them believe that a person giving away guns will make it more likely for the government to take theirs.

zeemumu

People will do anything but admit there's no logical reason they need to own 30 guns. Their twisted thinking makes them believe that a person giving away guns will make it more likely for the government to take theirs.

What about 21 guns

Probably more of those "Guns, God, and Glory = Murica" fuckheads. Do anything against any of them and they want you silenced and/or dead.

Monocle

In any sane society these people would be immediately tracked down, their guns would be confiscated, and they'd be slapped with a lifetime ban on purchasing and handling any kind of gun.

The only thing stopping Trump from seizing all the guns is having too many guns for him to carry with his tiny hands.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Seems par for the course for this country.

Hope the dude and his family stay safe and if push comes to shove, looks like he can piece out to the UK with no issues.

Hmmmm...

Yup. He gets rid of his guns in a proper manner and receives death threats that make his family so uncomfortable they leave town for a bit. The only people that would throw a fit over that is 2nd Amendment nuts. Which are typically gun owners, obviously.

I agree now. At one point in time I owned a semi automatic rifle. Never shot the thing once, because it didn't fit my needs. I sold it, but wish I would of turned it into the local PD at this point. Not sure what most people need outside of bolt action rifles and double barrel shotguns at this point. 2nd amendment was to protect yourself from a crazed military/government in the 1700's(muskets). We have nuclear submarines now. Those guns aren't doing shit even if something insane happened.

This is the one thing I agree with conservatives over liberals. Liberals seem to believe that the government would nuke its cities to prevent an uprising, which is completely absurd. Small arms are very beneficial in an insurgency. That's all you really need to get a rebellion started. No, the government isn't going to carpet bomb all major cities to put an end to it. This should be common sense.

I hear it all the time. "Lol gun nuts think their AR is going to stop a B-1 bomber nuking their city". That ain't gonna happen dude.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I agree now. At one point in time I owned a semi automatic rifle. Never shot the thing once, because it didn't fit my needs. I sold it, but wish I would of turned it into the local PD at this point. Not sure what most people need outside of bolt action rifles and double barrel shotguns at this point. 2nd amendment was to protect yourself from a crazed military/government in the 1700's(muskets). We have nuclear submarines now. Those guns aren't doing shit even if something insane happened.
Tell that to ISIS.

This is the one thing I agree with conservatives over liberals. Liberals seem to believe that the government would nuke its cities to prevent an uprising, which is completely absurd. Small arms are very beneficial in an insurgency. That's all you really need to get a rebellion started. No, the government isn't going to carpet bomb all major cities to put an end to it. This should be common sense.

I hear it all the time. "Lol gun nuts think their AR is going to stop a B-1 bomber nuking their city". That ain't gonna happen dude.

i disagree 100% because the only govt i see trying to pull that shit would be a conservative govt regime and i wouldn't put it past them to nuke the very liberal cities to shore up the conservative rural power base.

slider

Death threats. Such an easy, shitty, cowardly thing to do. Ideally there'd be consequences but internet anonymity helps empower idiots.

Unison

It's really just common sense on some level, but it really clicked for me today that this sort of gun-rights activism is really just a form of identity politics for people who aren't truly being victimized, but want to feel like they have a right to complain as much as any actually oppressed minority.

SoulUnison

Banned

I love that the people who are most rabidly devoted to their guns tend to be in the same part of the Venn diagram as people who demand unflinching and unconditional support of "the troops."

Like, who the fuck do you think you'd be up against in your hypothetical "tyrannical government, I have to go Rambo" power fantasy?
You do realize while you parrot your "they want to take our guns" fear that the same branch of the government you're constantly pledging unwavering faith in and demanding increasingly higher and higher budgets and better and better armaments for is the same branch of government that would be -doing- the "gun taking!?"

And now our police forces are getting increasingly militarized and slowly pulled under the umbrella of blind support that the troops enjoy.

Make no mistake: It's no longer about rising up against an overreaching government - it's about siding with a partisan government who that might eventually decide to bet on their hand and enlist the population to eliminate "undesirables" themselves.
Sounds crazy, but It's a smidgen less crazy than someone who thinks their friends and their pistols are going to somehow outgun and outmaneuver the US military and the combined power of an indoctrinated law enforcement.

The greatest trick our government has managed to pull in modernity is getting people to forget that the military is the government by way of changing the face of "the troops."

i disagree 100% because the only govt i see trying to pull that shit would be a conservative govt regime and i wouldn't put it past them to nuke the very liberal cities to shore up the conservative rural power base.
Yep

Even conventional bombs and firebombing would do the trick. Our modified semi-autos wouldn't do much at all against that or other military hardware like artillery, mortars and tanks.

SoulUnison

Banned
Yep

Even conventional bombs and firebombing would do the trick. Our modified semi-autos wouldn't do much at all against that or other military hardware like artillery, mortars and tanks.

And it won't be too much longer before we have military and law enforcement combat-capable drones.

Remove the risk, remove the humanity, remove the culpability.

Thank you. We need more gun owners like you who are able to look at this discussion rationally and not see everything as a personal attack.

There are way more gun owners that are liberal and pro-control than most people realize.

It also looks like there are less and less people that support the NRA as well thankfully. Fucking scumbag association of liars, fear-mongers and racists. If anyone wants to make themselves angry, just look up new YouTube NRA ads.

Nephtis

I wonder how many of those people issuing death threats are really from the US and not Russia.

Also, I wonder how many of those people had police knock on their door for issuing death threats.

Right because of all the conservative, far-right dictatorships in the world leveled their entire cities to hold onto power. Checkmate conservatives!

...or something

Mohonky

Death threats for handing his guns over? This must be from those law abiding patriot responsible gun owners.

Nothing irrational about threatening someone for giving up their weapons at all.

Top Bottom