• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

MrBadger

You can, just go into options.

Ah, thanks. That's so much better.

Also I'm gonna just assume I'm the only one in this thread who likes Moe the Clown. He's at least better than Trilo.

Cross examining
Sitar Jesus now.
This game is insane.

Gestahl

Like I said I don't really remember and developer messages like that aren't always exact anyway. If I'm wrong it must have been after saving in case 1 and I misinterpreted it because I do case 1s in one go

Swamped

Banned
Currently downloading mine! I have a meeting to prepare for, but when I'm back I'll have loads of fun with this one :D

These names...

They may be the most blunt-force in the series. De Killer level at least.

If the demo was anything to go by then yes XD

Investigation Core 2016 is really good, wow.

Excited! I really like the new cross examination theme as well. The new cornered theme isn't really grabbing me though

Menitta

Also I'm gonna just assume I'm the only one in this thread who likes Moe the Clown. He's at least better than Trilo.

Cross examining
Sitar Jesus now.
This game is insane.

Moe the Clown was the only entertaining part of Turnabout Big Top.

Yomidi

Cross examining
Sitar Jesus now.
This game is insane.

I also liked Moe the Clown. It was the best part of a pretty bad case.

What is the consultation option for?

You get a hint about what to do next.

Namely it will show you the important statement in the testimony and if you should press or present.

I turned that off so fast.

I was indifferent to Moe but I do approve of more characters that discourage the "Press every statement" playstyle. I've always felt that should be a last resort. Unfortunately JFA uses the "press every statement" requirement frequently throughout the game so throwing Moe at you that punishes Pressing feels very contrarian to the game flow.

ZeroX03

Banned
meekins-megaphone(c).gif

🤔

Menitta

Wasn't Moe the reason they penalized you for pressing on anything he says? I had always assumed that was why people hated that case so much.

No, that was in Recipe for Turnabout.

The part where you get penalized is when he asks to tell a joke and you let him tell it.

TheJoRu

Wasn't Moe the reason they penalized you for pressing on anything he says? I had always assumed that was why people hated that case so much.

I hated the case mostly because:

1. I fucking hate circuses.
2. That asinine excuse of a twist
where it turned out the cape had seemingly by magic attached itself to the bust, which was bad in of itself, but made worse by the fact the game expected you to figure that out.
3. I fucking hate circuses.

Is this one going to be as "silly" and "I will analyze your feelings and emotions" like the previous entry was? I'm really not feeling the route the latest game took with Athena and her gimmick.

Or is this one going full on super natural now that Maya is back?

Is this one going to be as "silly" and "I will analyze your feelings and emotions" like the previous entry was? I'm really not feeling the route the latest game took with Athena and her gimmick.

Or is this one going full on super natural now that Maya is back?

Athena still uses her mood matrix at points, it was in the trailers. All the prior gimmicks are in.

Opa-Pa

If we're gonna boot someone boot Apollo, Athena had a more interesting arc, personality, and ability in one game compared to herr forehead's bland nothingness across 2. DD literally tried to cyborg raiden him and he still sucked.

Yeah pretty much. I had no idea people didn't like Athena but despite expecting her to be lame, I loved here. I liked the three protagonists mechanic in DD too, so seeing her become an assistant sucks.

I liked Apollo in DD for a change, but more as a secondary character than a playable one, he's just too lame to be a protagonist IMO. Not to mention they'll shoehorn Klavier's lame ass too as long as Apollo is playable too, sigh. Athena is so much better. But eh with this series I'll take what I can, I have yet to dislike a game anyway.

McNum

And that concludes the first episode. Pretty beefy for a first episode, too.

I expected a lot of things going into this, but i can honestly say, I did not expect
Death Metal Jesus
. Well played. That was hilarious.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I can't figure out how to download the DLC. i go to the Extras and DLC menu, select "View DLC," but it then just quits back to the game after doing the initialization process. Any help?

EDIT: Reading the thread, seems like I need to progress a bit further.

MrBadger

First case is done. So far, my opinions are that the animation and presentation is superb and the culprit was absolutely hilarious. I'm not entirely sold on how ham fisted the cult-like hatred of lawyers is though. And the plot setup feels a bit Layton-like now that I think about it.

Second case is feeling a lot more at home. But I'm super saddened by the death of
Ema's snackoos

Blame Franziska

Opa-Pa

By the way does anyone know how the relation between Kurain Village and the kingdom work in the original Japanese? Like are they named similar there too or are they part of the same region and have the same name? I can understand pretending it's not Japan overseas but the naming is just weird.

First case was alright, I can see the seance stuff being better than the last game's mood matrix, I still find that the first cases of more recent games tend to stick around longer than they should.
And boy they really played up the bluffer Wright angle a bit much here.
Obviously not as much as the LAWYERS ARE EVIIIIL angle, this could be the next dark age of the law coming up.

I LOVE this music. It's so underrated. The entire first game had an outstanding soundtrack. It gave off a unique, "home-y" vibe that's hard for me to describe.
The original court themes did get to make a second go around in the Layton crossover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGcWriE9tE

And that concludes the first episode. Pretty beefy for a first episode, too.

I expected a lot of things going into this, but i can honestly say, I did not expect
Death Metal Jesus
. Well played. That was hilarious.

Khura'in Jesus was one of the better first case villains just for his musical testimonies.

Gestahl

By the way does anyone know how the relation between Kurain Village and the kingdom work in the original Japanese? Like are they named similar there too or are they part of the same region and have the same name? I can understand pretending it's not Japan overseas but the naming is just weird.

Japanese Kurain is in kanji, the country is in katakana. They are not remotely the same place

bronk

Banned
Damn with Dragon Quest coming out I dont think I'll have time for this. Guess ill have to wait for a sale. Im bitter there isnt a physical release. This will only be my second 3ds digital purchase besides the last Phoenix Wright. Anyways I hope it's good.

Sagely

The original court themes did get to make a second go around in the Layton crossover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGcWriE9tE
That is stunning. I never played it but these arrangements are fantastic. Is the crossover worthwhile for fans of both series? I'm very cautious about it based on what I've heard, but if the presentation is good like the music suggests I'd be tempted. Perhaps going in with low expectations would be okay?

MrBadger

That is stunning. I never played it but these arrangements are fantastic. Is the crossover worthwhile for fans of both series? I'm very cautious about it based on what I've heard, but if the presentation is good like the music suggests I'd be tempted. Perhaps going in with low expectations would be okay?

I'd highly recommend giving it a go. It's definitely not a bad game. It's got some very strong moments, particularly the second and third cases. I'm sure you'll pick up on where the complaints come from, but as a whole, it's really good and it doesn't drag. I liked it more than Dual Destinies. Soundtrack is top notch as well.

Alright, spoil me (in tags obviously), is Maya just going to show up in that one case or will she be in others as well? After DD she's the only reason I would be interested in this.

I really enjoyed it, stupidity and all but that's because I'm a fan of the Layton games as well so it wasn't really anything unexpected when the story took a trip to the land of sheer nonsense.

Fun fantasy spinoff for both series, enjoyed Wright in this game more than AA5, great original soundtrack outside the remixes and despite the overall conclusion being a sorespot for some people I think the ride there is good fun.

Opa-Pa

Japanese Kurain is in kanji, the country is in katakana. They are not remotely the same place

Huh, I didn't expect that at all. Kinda clever then, thanks.

I honestly didn't know people didn't like it until today. As a fan of AA who doesn't like the Layton series very much but has finished the first game, I thought it was very good.

It's a downgrade in terms of visuals but the music is gorgeous and the story pretty intense (yes it's very over the top but I enjoyed it anyway). There's even some great character development for Phoenix and Maya that I didn't expect at all, and if you enjoy interactions between them then the game is worth it for that alone IMO.

Bardiche

Just got the game. Excited to get into this even though my backlog is long (DQVII & SMT:IV A will be added to the backlog). Hopefully this is better than AA5, that game was a letdown.

Sagely

Cool thanks all for your opinions! I think I'll give it a shot after AA6 then. I'm a big fan of Ace Attorney and a moderate fan of Layton (enjoyed the first two games but haven't kept up so closely with the series). Character moments with Phoenix and Maya are a pretty big selling point, and that music sounds really promising.

That's another 3DS game on the list...getting so much use out if it this year :)

GSR

Alright, spoil me (in tags obviously), is Maya just going to show up in that one case or will she be in others as well? After DD she's the only reason I would be interested in this.
She's the defendant/court partner in case 3, a side character/witness in case 5, and the full-time partner in the DLC case.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh snap, Doctor Who reference in case 1! Thanks Capcom localization team!

Framerate is getting pushed, but this game does up things a lot in the presentation department so that is to be expected. NX can't come soon enough for Ace Attorney.

Gave it a B+ over at Nintendojo. Not my favorite Ace Attorney, but it's still very solid.

I wonder how many players will share my criticisms on the Divination Séances: cool way to shake up the courtroom, but they can get pretty obtuse in what they want you to do, which, even when you've figured them out. Case 3 was pretty irritating in this regard, although the ending was worth it.

By the way, I'm the rare AA fan that loves JFA and Case 3. Any more of my kind out there?

My man. I'd much rather deal with him than T&T's screaming, neurotic defendants.

Just finished the first case. The bad guy was absolutely hilarious, and one of the best minor villains in the series so far. I broke down in laughter when they revealed his twist.

Top Bottom