• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

GSR

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice OT

A5SNND4.png

howdy y'all. I cannot do graphics to save my life so I hope you're ready for One Heck Of A Texty OT

Summary said:
One year has passed since Athena Cykes joined the Wright Anything Agency and the team took on a yokai, an orca, an academy, a bombing, another bombing, and a spy. When Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright hears from his old friend Maya Fey during her training in the mystical country of Khura'in, he sets off to visit her and leaves the agency in third-year attorney Apollo Justice's hands. But Phoenix soon finds Khura'in's legal system to be broken to the core, and Apollo finds himself facing a few too many old ghosts as he tries to protect those closest to him...

Availability

Spirit of Justice will be available exclusively on the Nintendo eShop on September 8th at the standard update time for each region. The game will cost $29.99/£24.99/€29.99.

Gameplay

Spirit of Justice keeps the same gameplay as Dual Destinies: you'll collect evidence in the investigation phase and battle it out in court in the trial phase. DD's bevy of features return, including Psyche-Locks, Perceive, the Mood Matrix, and Revisualization; meanwhile, fingerprint dusting returns from Apollo Justice. New to the series is the Divination Seancés of the Khura'inese trials: here, Rayfa channels the victim and shows their final moments (from their perspective) to the court. You'll need to determine the contradiction between what the victim experienced and Rayfa's interpretation of events to make progress. In addition, free investigation (like the DS games) returns.

Characters

rtsIh6U.png

PHOENIX WRIGHT - The original Ace Attorney, and one of the two main protagonists of the game. Phoenix is as mature as he's ever been, and not even the laws of Khura'in and its Medium Trials can keep him from defending his clients with his all.

OjFtVsx.png

APOLLO JUSTICE - Apollo's had his share of ups and downs since starting his legal career two years ago, but with Phoenix abroad he rises to the challenge of looking over the agency with gusto - even if it means facing the familiar.

O5zSkSd.png

ATHENA CYKES - The junior member of the Wright Anything Agency, now in her second year as an attorney. Athena may not be as experienced as Phoenix or Apollo, but what she lacks in courtroom appearances she makes up for with determination and her analytical psychology skills.

uRraEl6.png

MAYA FEY - Phoenix's old friend and partner has spent the past few years training in Khura'in in preparation for becoming the master of her hometown, Kurain Village. But with victory in sight, Maya finds herself trapped once again by circumstances beyond her control.

YQczN1l.png

EMA SKYE - The forensics-obsessed detective of Apollo's early career has finally acheived her dream - she's a full-fledged forensic investigator now, no ifs, ands, or buts. Her work soon leads her to partner up with prosecutor Nahyuta Sahdmadhi, but when a friend is arrested, Ema isn't afraid to stand up for her.

NdhbAmw.png

TRUCY WRIGHT - Phoenix's adopted daughter and Apollo's old partner is as top-rate as a magician as they come. With a TV debut just around the corner, Trucy is ready to reclaim the Gramarye mantle and bring new glory to her family's troupe - but a death during the show soon threatens to crush her dreams for good.

rIsO0lL.png

RAYFA PADMA KHURA'IN - The princess of Khura'in, who has the power to channel spirits and show a victim's last moments to the court. For years she's been the only arbiter of innocence or guilt, but when Phoenix takes a stand against her, Rayfa begins to realize that he powers may not be as absolute as she believed.

ygUfwtQ.png

NAHYUTA SAHDMADHI - An international prosecutor and Khura'inese monk, who soon crosses swords with both Phoenix and Apollo. His own past seems shrouded in mystery, but...

Cases

Phoenix goes to a foreign country and Apollo does stuff, I guess.

Case one:
Phoenix is traveling in the mystic country of Khura'in! Where attorneys are outlawed. Also there's a revolution brewing. Also his tour guide was just arrested. Good job, Phoenix.
Case two: Trucy finally gets the requisite Ace Attorney Assistant Murder Charge leveled at her. Apollo and Athena set out to prove her innocence and try to avoid a 4-3 repeat despite the presence of Ema and stage magic.
Case three: Maya's back! And she's arrested for murder. Again. Just get out there and get this over with, Phoenix.
Case four: ██████████████████████████████ Blackquill takes to the bench ███████████████████████ behind the scenes?
Case five: Apollo and Phoenix face off ████████████████████████████████ a certain piece of evidence █████████████████████ the truth behind this "revolution".
DLC case: Larry claims he's getting married - but the bride disagrees. That and she says she can travel through time, and she's a murder suspect. Phoenix, you're up to bat.

Trailers

Anime Prologue
Announcement Trailer
Maya Trailer
Character Abilities Trailer
Launch Trailer (JP with subs) (disclosure: I subbed this)

Downloadable Content

Besides a costume set available free for the first week, none of the Japanese DLC has been officially announced for English release. However, peeking at the English demo files reveals references to "Turnabout Time Traveller", "Phoenix Wright: Asinine Attorney", and "Apollo Justice: Asinine Attorney". So odds are good that both the full DLC case and the two non-canon mini-cases are coming over!

What GAFfers are saying:

Finished. That last case was a helluva ride. I'll try and write a bit more tomorrow after I had a bit of time to stew on it.

I will say that there are two problems that stand out for me. Recycling flashbacks and lack of planning in regards to the story arc for the game. The first is kinda obvious. It was a little annoying and kinda padded the game a little bit here and there. The second problem is an issue with AA5 as well. I don't think they're doing a good job of creating a storyline that runs across the entire game and presenting themes that are supposed to be a part of the game. This is especially apparent when compared to AAI1 and AAI2 but it's apparent even when compared to DGS. I think this game had a really good chance at doing something big with it all but wasted two cases on things that didn't involve the main selling point of the title.

Case 3 and Case 5 are amazing which makes the lack of a big picture a bit more frustrating.

Is it better than AA5? Hmm... This is fresh off of beating AA6 so I want to say it's better than 5, but not by a large margin. This doesn't hold your hand as much as AA5 but it telegraphs twists a lot earlier, but that is a subjective experience. You can do more exploration than you could in AA5. While AA5 ran the concept of "Dark Age of the Law" into the ground, it was consistent with its story focus. AA6 has a much more interesting premise with better villains and when it gives that premise time to grow it does some damn good work, but the bouncing focal points and superfluous cases hurt the flow.

The Séance Trials are a lot of fun but again, underutilized and the potential they offer is grazed and never fully realized which is a shame. The one in Case 3 made the best use of it, IMO.

I think it's a good game, but it's very rough. Not as bad as JFA but it is similar that it takes a while to get to genuinely good experiences. Case 1 has obnoxious writing but a fantastic killer while Case 2 has better concepts but suffers from bloat and drags its feet. But if you can muscle through them I think it's worth it. They're not terrible cases honestly, but they needed some more editing to keep them focused and efficient.

Better [than Dual Destinies], but it's also a complete mess, if that makes any sense.

Additional resources

Official Website
GAF spoiler thread
Court-Records, an AA fansite/resource site (disclosure: I help run this)
The Ace Attorney Wiki (warning: most AA6 articles contain spoilers in the introductions)

FAQ
Is he named Tahrust or-
abbot is his title, tahrust is his name, don't look him up on the AA wiki if you don't want the case spoiled in the first sentence

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I personally didn't enjoy this one that much. Still better than 4, but I think I liked 5 more. To each their own though, since many of my friends had a blast with 6.

aett

I've been a big fan of the series since day one (of the original US release), but I'm going to hold off on buying this one for now. I've been busier than usual lately and I have a backlog of games in addition to a lot more coming out soon, including two other visual novel-type games I've been meaning to finish.

Dammit. Online only again...

Wouldn't be bothered usually bug I just bought a N3DS off ebay and I don't have any eshop cards yet. Sigh.

As much as I'm down on the series, especially AA5, this is still better than 80% of games. Love the cases, characters, and music!

Aurelius

Every time a new Ace Attorney game comes out I'm tempted to (re)buy a 3DS. But this time I'm saving my money and my wife's goodwill for the NX! Hope Capcom will anounce the iOS version soon.

Corpekata

Banned
I am going to rebuy a 3DS just for this game. I mean, I'll probably buy a few other games just convince to myself I wasn't making a ridiculous splurge, but deep down I'll know, it was all for Phoenix.

God, I want to play this so badly, but I'm about to get smacked in the face with exams I'm not ready for. Can't wait to sink my teeth into another Ace Attorney!

Thoraxes

I was looking for this thread earlier today!

Buying on day 1 even though I probably will not play till I finish Trails of Cold Steel II. Looking forward to digging deep into this once I finish that though!

Permanently A

I wonder if Ace Attorney will ever return to the glory days of the original trilogy. I've been trying to get through AA5 for AA6 and I just stopped halfway through Case 5's investigation. I was just not having any fun, at all.

I wouldn't mind a series reboot at this point to be honest.

I've been a big fan of the series since day one (of the original US release), but I'm going to hold off on buying this one for now. I've been busier than usual lately and I have a backlog of games in addition to a lot more coming out soon, including two other visual novel-type games I've been meaning to finish.
Which two if you don't mind me asking?

NEO0MJ

Fuck, it's already here? I haven't kept up with the release date. Guess I'll have to get some moneys from Play Asia now.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I will buy these games no matter what. Phoenix, my dear, you have returned to me, and I couldn't be happier. I shall see you in Khura'in!

Also, who at Capcom do I need to talk to to get the soundtracks and arrangement albums to release in the US? I'm desperate for them. :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is TODAY!?

WoW: Legion
Cold Steel 2
This

Also

Life

b8c89a50_Kanye-West-How.jpeg

Lusankya

Anyone know at what time the eShop updates?

US eShop 9 am PDT
EU+AUS eShop between 14:00 and 16:00 CEST

peeking at the English demo files reveals references to "Turnabout Time Traveller", "Phoenix Wright: Asinine Attorney", and "Apollo Justice: Asinine Attorney". So odds are good that both the full DLC case and the two non-canon mini-cases are coming over!

That's awesome. I wonder why Capcom are so silent about these.

Not 100% sure I'll get this right away since I still have quite a few games I have left to finish, but I just finished DD last week and that last case got me pumped as fuck for this so I'll probably cave by the end of the day lol.

I still haven't done the DLC case for DD though so I might hold off until I do that at least.

McDougles

You can check my 8/10 review for App Trigger here.

I don't go too much into the realm of story discussions. In fact, I even switched out a press-approved screenshot that included part of a divination seance.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
It's annoying the Australian eshop just says release 8/9.... It's been the 8th here for sixteen and a half hours..... It'll almost be the 9th before it actually releases if it comes at normal update time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Since Trails of Cold Steel II hasn't dropped in my store yet, I'll pick this up in the mean time.

Is this game better than AA5 at least? Coz AA5 was incredibly cheesy.

Opa-Pa

Way too many games for me this month, but I can never say no to my boy Phoenix, so I'm definitely getting this today. Need to finish this and DDS before Apocalypse somehow.

Honestly AA5 surpassed my expectations so the comparisons aren't exactly discouraging.

It's annoying the Australian eshop just says release 8/9.... It's been the 8th here for sixteen and a half hours..... It'll almost be the 9th before it actually releases if it comes at normal update time.

It will release at 00:00, Friday the 9th. That's the same time when Dual Destinies went up on the e-store.

I'm curious about the OST as well. What was in the demo was really good imo, so I hope the rest of the game can keep it up.

I secretly knew this in my heart but didn't want it to be true. Wish they just put 9/9 as the date in the store though.

Yeah, it's fucked that they falsely advertise it as the 8th. I remember opening and closing the e-shop over 100 times on October 24th and DD went on sale the next day

DVCY201

Do we have a review thread? Just saw a bad review for it on GameXplain, would love to get others opinions (users too), but don't wanna crowd the OT. Just finished the OG Trilogy, started Dual Destinies and I dunno, it immediately feels different. Was hoping this one would be a return to form

ZeroX03

Banned
82 on Metacritic currently, only mixed review is IGN. Can't be bothered making a thread and keeping it updated.

Also guarantee one or more of the reviews will be loose with spoilers, so read at your own peril.

Debirudog

Do we have a review thread? Just saw a bad review for it on GameXplain, would love to get others opinions (users too), but don't wanna crowd the OT. Just finished the OG Trilogy, started Dual Destinies and I dunno, it immediately feels different. Was hoping this one would be a return to form

I pretty much don't agree with anything that Ted says so meh.

Top Bottom