• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright Virgin - How is the iOS HD Trilogy?

Javier

One more thing about the iOS version. I think it's really, REALLY dumb that they made the title artwork for each case available from the get-go. Some of those are really spoilery, which is why in the DS version you don't see them until you beat each case.

hamchan

All the differences are true. Are they worth the $40 difference? I'd say heck no, stick with the cheaper IOS versions.

Hero

It amazes me that some people "prefer" the iOS HD characters compared to the pixel versions. They look so shitty.

corn_fest

It amazes me that some people "prefer" the iOS HD characters compared to the pixel versions. They look so shitty.

To be fair, they look pretty close to the original art. Which is also, IMO, pretty shitty. I think it benefited a lot from being converted to sprites.

The art in 1-5 is by a different artist and looks a lot better, though. You'll notice when people post screens to show off how good the art is it's almost always from 1-5.

vareon

All the differences are true. Are they worth the $40 difference? I'd say heck no, stick with the cheaper IOS versions.

To me it's worth it, but I agree these shouldn't deter anyone from entering the series. They are still amazing games.

Meia

Had never played any of these games before, but bit the bullet a month ago when it went up and gave it a shot.

Just finished the last case of the last game now, HOLY, CRAP. I want more.

In other words, it's fine to play these if you haven't touched the series before I'd imagine. Wanted to catch up with the story before AA5 hits, but think there's more required to play after this...

xJavonta

Banned
Jesus christ, stop doing that right now. Play it on speakers, or with headphones, I don't care which, but playing phoenix wright without sound is just wrong.

The text advance sound is probably the worst sound I've ever heard. It's extremely loud and obnoxious. As long as that's off, it's good.

Chill Dude

Neo Member
As a huge Ace Attorney fan I have to say I was impressed with it on my iPad! Of course I prefer playing it on the DS but it looks fantastic and importantly it's amazing value for money. I know a lot complain about the cost of the In-App purchases but if you compare it to the cost of the DS titles it really is good value.

vareon

Also I noted the HD trilogy has a really annoying bug in the first game that is almost a game-breaker (you can't continue). I don't know if anyone experienced it here.

Javier

Can you clarify that?
Did a quick search, and apparently it's the part in Case 5 where
you have to spell the bloody name "EMA" in the jar.

Apparently, if you don't solve the puzzle in a VERY specific way, the game will consider it wrong and you'll have to start over. I can take several tries of pure trail and error before you get it right. Which is annoying because that particular puzzle is ridiculously easy (I didn't even know you could get it wrong).

Here's a GameFAQs topic that talks about this.

Did a quick search, and apparently it's the part in Case 5 where
you have to spell the bloody name "EMA" in the jar.

Apparently, if you don't solve the puzzle in a VERY specific way, the game will consider it wrong and you'll have to start over. I can take several tries of pure trail and error before you get it right. Which is annoying because that particular puzzle is ridiculously easy (I didn't even know you could get it wrong).

Here's a GameFAQs topic that talks about this.

pfff, all that means is that your grade school teacher taught you how to write the alphabet wrong! :D

took me like 10 tries too >.<

seriously though, the best thing for 'virgins' of this series is to dl the app for free, play the first 2 cases. most gaffers like it, but its not for everyone, but the first 2 games give a good overview of the series. if you enjoy it, buy the rest of the eps. if you REALLY enjoy it, buy the 3 games on amazon or w/e. Sure its way more expensive, but it still is only around the cost of a modern console game. And each game takes about 20 hours to beat, so you get a lot of fun for the price.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
One more thing about the iOS version. I think it's really, REALLY dumb that they made the title artwork for each case available from the get-go. Some of those are really spoilery, which is why in the DS version you don't see them until you beat each case.
Now that I think about it, I'm currently playing Apollo Justice, and it's strange that it doesn't show any case artwork, even after beating the episode.

So when are they gonna let me buy the ds games digitally on my 3ds?
I'd love this to happen. I'm seriously considering importing 1-3 and AA1 from Amazon, despite owning the original trilogy on WiiWare, but it's a lot of money, especially because I'd have to pay international shipping (and hope they don't get retained in customs in my shithole of a country).

Top Bottom