• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photos that give you the chills?

Let's try something outside the usual death and murder stuff:
4n8tubd7.jpg

This is a shot of the Pyramids of Giza taken from the upper city of Cairo - a perspective that I have rarely seen in photographs and for me it looks quite eerie, lovecraftian and almost extraterrestrial.

Wow, that has to be one of the best shots of marriage between the modern and ancient world.

Unit 33

Ghost / Hidden Mother
When the process of taking pictures took a while, the mother would conceal themselves in photos of their children, in order to stop them from fidgeting.

hidden-mothers-1.jpg

Violet_0

Banned
Ghost / Hidden Mother
When the process of taking pictures took a while, the mother would conceal themselves in photos of their children, in order to stop them from fidgeting.

hidden-mothers-1.jpg
that's a bit risky for Victorian fashion, you can almost see the ankles

Mac_Lane

eyes_of_gate_goebbels.jpg

Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels was cheerful and without a care when he first met photographer Alfed Eisenstaedt. In a close-up image the Third Reich politician was caught off guard smiling at the League of Nations meeting in Geneva in September 1933. But when Goebbels found out LIFE magazine photographer Eisenstaedt was Jewish his expression was quite different.

Qasiel

I don't know why but I've always felt chills when I see the bow from the wreck of the Titanic. Just this twisted, rusted mess jutting out from the surrounding darkness.

sunken-titanic-bow-P.jpeg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
4n8tubd7.jpg

This is a shot of the Pyramids of Giza taken from the upper city of Cairo - a perspective that I have rarely seen in photographs and for me it looks quite eerie, lovecraftian and almost extraterrestrial.
Looked nice, so I found a bigger image.

m7P2t6g.jpg

On March 19–20, 1997, Marshall Applewhite taped himself speaking of mass suicide and asserted "it was the only way to evacuate this Earth". After claiming that a spacecraft was trailing Comet Hale–Bopp, Applewhite persuaded 38 followers to commit suicide so that their souls could board the supposed craft. Applewhite believed that after their deaths, an unidentified flying object (UFO) would take their souls to another "level of existence above human", which he described as being both physical and spiritual.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Heaven's_Gate_(religious_group)#/Mass_suicide_and_aftermath

Madness

k0YH4jI.jpg

Not necessarily chills, but one of the only photographs of the last Mughal Emperor of India. They were Persian/Turkic central asians who conquered the subcontinent around the 15th century and traced their lineage directly back to Genghis Khan and his descendents. Responsible for the spread of Islam pretty much throughout South Asia and the creation of things like the Taj Mahal.

MfMbg9w.jpg

His official Imperial painting. Contrast with the image above right before his exile to Burma by the British in 1858.

Violet_0

Banned
since we're already doing this
dead-gypsies.jpg

a picture of tourists in Italy sunbathing next to the bodies of two drowned Roma girls that went around the world causing outrage, likely unaware of what happened
Egypt%20protester.jpg

Egypt woman Shaima al-Sabbagh, who was shot by goverment forces (and died shortly afterwards) at a rally to commemorate the uprising against former President Hosni Mubarak

Mohonky

I don't know why but I've always felt chills when I see the bow from the wreck of the Titanic. Just this twisted, rusted mess jutting out from the surrounding darkness.

sunken-titanic-bow-P.jpeg

Underwater shots always skeet me the hell out.

No idea why, but any photos or videos of underwater wrecks....

cSxYFsx-1024x977.jpg

I always found the shadows of people from Hiroshima and Nagasaki to be particularly creepy. This is all that remained of a person, vapourised by a nuclear weapon, their shadow all that remained.

Blues1990

A vac sealed sachet of Charles Duke & his family, which he left behind during Apollo 16 mission. It shows himself, his wife Dorothy, and their sons Charles and Thomas all sitting on a bench. Unfortunately, photographic prints fade pretty quickly, even under relatively controlled conditions, and it's unlikely that you can make out of the photo if viewed today.

4n8tubd7.jpg

It would be even better if the horizon looked level

tuna_love

Banned
4n8tubd7.jpg

reminds me of dusk till dawn

yogloo

I recently saw a pic of a black Rhino killed by poachers. I can't upload it right now but it was devastating to see that. Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about and can upload it in place of me.

My contribution before I proceed to get no sleep tonight

Poloroid of unidentified likely kidnapping victims, found at a gas station left under a spot where a windowless white van was parked. Thought to be Tara Calico and someone else but nothing conclusive

Unidentified_kidnapping_victims_1989.jpg

Top Bottom