• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pico Neo All-In-One Virtual Reality Headset Unveiled From $300

Durante

SteamVR? We don't know.
Roomscale? Possibly, but only 180 and not 360.
I think that's very misleading.

"Roomscale", the way everyone understands it these days in VR discussions, means reliably tracked controllers and a reliably tracked HMD in an entire room-shaped space. From what we know about it, this thing will never ever be able to provide that. It can't even provide reliable 360° standing tracking, and that's just a subset of roomscale.

SinSilla

I think that's very misleading.

"Roomscale", the way everyone understands it these days in VR discussions, means reliably tracked controllers and a reliably tracked HMD in an entire room-shaped space. From what we know about it, this thing will never ever be able to provide that. It can't even provide reliable 360° standing tracking, and that's just a subset of roomscale.

Jeah, you're right. With no tracking Beacon on the back of the Headset and the cameras being forced in front of you true roomscale won't work at all.

What I was trying to say is that you can move around in your room as much as you want (and the cable allows) AS LONG you are facing the camera.

This could be a neat device for seated VR/simming. Let me buy this without the controllers for 50$ less please!

Durante

Don't get me wrong, if they confirm that it in fact does use low-persistence strobing on the displays then it can be a decent device, especially at the proposed price (and if the optics are decent too). But the constraints should be clear.

StereoVsn

Don't get me wrong, if they confirm that it in fact does use low-persistence strobing on the displays then it can be a decent device, especially at the proposed price (and if the optics are decent too). But the constraints should be clear.
If they have low persistence, it would be a good device for $300 all things considered (if build quality, optics and comfort are decent).

Shaneus

This could be a neat device for seated VR/simming. Let me buy this without the controllers for 50$ less please!
Honestly, I'm not getting into the roomscale stuff at all as far as VR goes, pretty much solely just for the weird shit (like Rez) but especially for car/plane/sit-down sims and VR-cinema modes. This is perfect for me.

Have a feeling a lot of other people are in the same boat too and could happily settle for something like this.

Kibbles

Yikes at that resolution. The Gear VR turned me off VR with how bad it looks even on the s7. We got a long way to go.

Edit: oh a pair of 1080p screens, that's better than the s7 eh?

Yikes at that resolution. The Gear VR turned me off VR with how bad it looks even on the s7. We got a long way to go.

Edit: oh a pair of 1080p screens, that's better than the s7 eh?

Right but oddly unless I'm reading it wrong has 1200x1080 instead of 1080×1200 like the Vive and Rift. Which I suppose is why the FOV is smaller.

SinSilla

Any idea if they are going to showcase or do a hands on prior to release?

Actually there was hands-on time already.

Use Google image search for Pico Neo, the ones that look like an actual photo instead of a cg render lead to Chinese hands on Reports.

Keep in mind that they were demoing preproduction units without positional tracking.

The Pico Neo DK is suppused to hit my mid June, pre-order page is currently Chinese only though.

Top Bottom