• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity 2 announcement incoming?

Altazor

C2vXYNAUAAAGnWg.jpg

Tomorrow.

10:00AM PST.

Return.

obsidian.net

Anno

So presumably we would still be a Watcher? I'd be fine with that as there is probably a lot that Obsidian can do to improve on those mechanics from a storytelling sense. I wonder if we would be the same character or a new incarnation? I kinda like the idea of every game being a new reincarnation of the same soul in a different time/place as a justification for starting at level 1 but that doesn't really square with returning companions, which seem implied.

Wedge7

Wonder if it will be a kickstarter again.

Either way, excited to see how they can improve on the first, and if it'll be alot bigger in scope and size.

Anno

I'm treating my enthusiasm for whatever is announced tomorrow by read through the lore book I got by backing the original. Lots of cool stuff in here. It's also making me stare at various Numenera guide and lore books on Amazon in preparation for next month. Oh God my wallet.

theres something about these old-school style rpgs from obsidian that really appeals to me. really curious what they will do with this one.

Altazor

What do you guys expect for tomorrow's announcement?

-Title + teaser + crowdfunding campaign?
-Title + teaser + actual release date?
-Just a short teaser?
-Something else?

Anno

-Just a short teaser?
-Something else?

The first one. I would be pretty bummed with an 8 day lead up to just a teaser, and I'm fairly sure I remember them saying they wanted to try crowd funding again.

Nzyme32

theres something about these old-school style rpgs from obsidian that really appeals to me. really curious what they will do with this one.

Yeah I absolutely adore these games after really getting into Pillars (and Sunless Sea which got me really into games of heavy but excellent text based fun). I think I was too young when I used to play some of the older games like Baldur's Gate and Fallout - so young I didn't actually understand what to do.

-Just a short teaser?
-Something else?

Title, Teaser and crowdfunding campaign - but more in the vein of Divinity OS 2, where they already have a more concrete thing that they will expand upon based on what they can get

duckroll

I expect the game to already have a year or more of work into it, playable, good amount of information, but a crowdfunding campaign to expand on the full production phase so they can put more people on it and make it a more ambitious sequel. I expect the release to be about a year away.

Anno

The D:OS2 model would make sense. I think the game sold pretty well all told, so hopefully other projects haven't eaten too many of the profits and they can go a bit bigger, especially with some Fig funds.

The Wart

-Just a short teaser?
-Something else?

Is 8 days of teases not considered a teaser!?

I'd be shocked if it were anything but the first. They're not gonna go to a publisher for funding because they want control of the IP, and there's no reason not crowdfund, if only to get a bit of a financial buffer and drum up community interest.

Don't see why they would commit to a release date this early though. I'm guessing they'll target mid-to-late 2018 for release.

I'd be really impressed if PoE2 is a DOS-DOS2 style leap in ambition. DOS2 added multiple races and a ton of new mechanics to the game, and it looks waaaay better too.

Although to be fair to Obsidian, PoE was hella ambitious to begin with, so I'd also be fine with something more iterative as well.

I'd be really impressed if PoE2 is a DOS-DOS2 style leap in ambition. DOS2 added multiple races and a ton of new mechanics to the game, and it looks waaaay better too.

Although to be fair to Obsidian, PoE was hella ambitious to begin with, so I'd also be fine with something more iterative as well.

I just hope the world is a little more... interesting? That's not meant as a slam but I just had a hard time really getting into the whole setting of Pillars. Just something about the way things were written or just needlessly verbose kind of made it harder to get into the game. Just too many multi-syllabic Proper Nouns with ornate sounding fantasy names that felt like overkill at times. Tyranny I'm not having that problem with for what it's worth.

I really should try and get back and finish PoE.

Anno

I just hope the world is a little more... interesting? That's not meant as a slam but I just had a hard time really getting into the whole setting of Pillars. Just something about the way things were written or just needlessly verbose kind of made it harder to get into the game. Just too many multi-syllabic Proper Nouns with ornate sounding fantasy names that felt like overkill at times. Tyranny I'm not having that problem with for what it's worth.

I really should try and get back and finish PoE.

Nabbing the hover text from Tyranny I think could help with that. I'm hopeful that they will.

POE has a cool world that has quite a bit of unique stuff, so I hope they play a little more aggressive with this iteration.

Top Bottom