• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity 2 announcement incoming?

Anno

I bought this game a long time ago, and have yet to play it. Is the story good in it?

I think the story is good, not great. But there are also some really neat characters and world building and side quests to help supplement. A lot of reading but I find it worthwhile.

C2la13FVQAIt0HE.jpg

And another.

Altazor

all the teasers so far have mentioned a god or the gods, I wonder if PoE2 deals with another St. Waidwen/Eothas situation...?

(potential spoilers for the first game?)
I haven't finished yet (currently on White March 2, but also Act 3 on the main game) , but I don't think there was any actual proof that Waiden was an incarnation of Eothas, right?
It was left ambiguous, unless I'm misremembering.

Lister

Banned
all the teasers so far have mentioned a god or the gods, I wonder if PoE2 deals with another St. Waidwen/Eothas situation...?

(potential spoilers for the first game?)
I haven't finished yet (currently on White March 2, but also Act 3 on the main game) , but I don't think there was any actual proof that Waiden was an incarnation of Eothas, right?
It was left ambiguous, unless I'm misremembering.

Well he certainly claimed to be, and the actions of the other gods (or atleast their supposed actions filtered by the dialogue and beliefs of characters such as Durance and others) seem to imply that he probably was.

Altazor

Well he certainly claimed to be, and the actions of the other gods (or atleast their supposed actions filtered by the dialogue and beliefs of characters such as Durance and others) seem to imply that he probably was.

cool, thanks for the reply! I find that whole situation interesting - why did a supposedly benign deity like Eothas (the god of renewal and light) assumed mortal form to unleash war? Did he go rogue, or was it done with (at least) the acquiescence of the other deities? If they didn't agree or were complicit, why didn't they also assume mortal form to stop him (unless you believe Magran directly aided her priests in creating the Godhammer)?

in any case, I'm just wildly speculating. Maybe PoE2 doesn't even deal with stuff like that, we'll just have to wait.

Lister

Banned
cool, thanks for the reply! I find that whole situation interesting - why did a supposedly benign deity like Eothas (the god of renewal and light) assumed mortal form to unleash war? Did he go rogue, or was it done with (at least) the acquiescence of the other deities? If they didn't agree or were complicit, why didn't they also assume mortal form to stop him (unless you believe Magran directly aided her priests in creating the Godhammer)?

in any case, I'm just wildly speculating. Maybe PoE2 doesn't even deal with stuff like that, we'll just have to wait.

Well there is that big reveal at the end, which I won't mention because you haven't gotten there yet ;P

The Wart

Edit: Also, I think I'm alone in liking the grander arc and narrative sweep of Pillars. That's some of the most interesting writing in the game. In general, the harder it leans on established D&D and fantasy schlock, the more boring it is. The more it leans on the colonial/revolution stuf, the animancy and tinkering with souls, the gods and
what we ultimately learn about them
, the more interesting it gets.

I also think it has some of the best companion plots in CRPGs. People complain because the quests themselves are fairly insubstantial and they all feel "disappointing" in how they resolve... but that second thing is the point!

Strongly agreed on both counts. I really think that people who dismiss the Pillars world as a D&D knock-off are really looking at it very superficially. The world has a sense of history, a feeling of substance and heft to it that is sorely lacking in most game universes. Not sure exactly what to call it... "lore mouthfeel"?

But I do think detractors are right that the main narrative needed a stronger hook at the beginning. I really enjoyed exploring the world and unraveling the mysteries and yada yada, but it never felt very well motivated. I, the watcher, am getting involved in all these dangerous escapades and conspiracies because... I'm seeing weird stuff in my peripheral vision? Because once every 20 hours a companion will make a reference to me not sleeping well?

I think in the 3rd act
one of the gods says it pretty directly when you receive their favor

Mivey

if only it didn't run like shit on my PC ;_;

I can't take 3+ minutes loading screens (yes, that's the actual time - and a reflection of how old my machine is) every time I load a save/exit an area/etc.
Give it to a museum, from the money you should be able to buy a quality toaster. I would recommend Kenwood.

Altazor

Give it to a museum, from the money you should be able to buy a quality toaster. I would recommend Kenwood.

lol, I have a toaster already, but thanks for the rec 😁

Hopefully I'll buy a more modern PC during this year - it's been 7 years. Pretty much the longest serving PC I've ever had.

Scoobie

Spent 30 hours in PoE before getting distracted and not playing for quite a while.

Pretty much forgotten the plot so starting over and looking forward to more hours in the game, it's fantastic.

Hopefully will get it finished this time!

Irobot82

lol, I have a toaster already, but thanks for the rec ��

Hopefully I'll buy a more modern PC during this year - it's been 7 years. Pretty much the longest serving PC I've ever had.

PCPer wrote a good article on a new PC under $600 that should run this game fine. It was also using a fancy monitor so since you have on you could probably get under $500 especially once the G4560 releases for $70

Found here. They spend $549. $250 of that was for a 144hz freesync monitor. Take that out and you got a great affordable PC.

I think Maneha is the Pillars character most likely to be associated with water (fish) and cannons, as she was a pirate at one point, but I sort of think it's a new character.

Bluth54

I posted about this earlier, but the email I got for being a Kickstarter backer of Pillars back in December:

We here on the Pillars team have been putting a lot of thought into the Collector’s Edition box we did for Pillars of Eternity (for no reason whatsoever, we assure you...). We liked it, but what if we did more? Maybe less? Not at all? Who’s to know?!

Actually, you are! You helped make Pillars of Eternity a reality, so we’d like to reach out to you and ask for your time to take this brief survey to let us know what you thought of the physical Collector’s Edition of Pillars of Eternity. You know, for reasons.

It's pretty clear they're seeing what fans want in the Pillars 2 collector's edition.

Will it be playable with a controller?

Yes - The hype is real

No - Nope, don't give a damn.

It's an IE-style CRPG. I can see a steam controller, a pointer+nunchuk, or a buttons+touchscreen working well enough, but what control scheme for a standard gamepad are you envisioning?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I wonder if they will put some weird spin on this, like set it 500 years after PoE or something like this. Why continue teasing something like this if you already made it pretty clear that it will be a PoE game? I'd actually be surprised if this is "just" a regular PoE 2.

Will it be playable with a controller?

Lol
No way.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if posted already but according to this (Sawyer's slides from Code Europe 2016, scroll down about 2/3rd of the way to example II) they're implementing dynamic weather into Project Luisiana.

Altazor

PCPer wrote a good article on a new PC under $600 that should run this game fine. It was also using a fancy monitor so since you have on you could probably get under $500 especially once the G4560 releases for $70

Found here. They spend $549. $250 of that was for a 144hz freesync monitor. Take that out and you got a great affordable PC.

I don't live in the US, so pretty much no "affordable PC" guide is useful to me - every price is almost double around here :(

thanks for the heads up, anyway. Maybe I'll get lucky once in a while.

I'm hoping they take some lessons from Tyranny for any PoE sequel. The writing and itemisation were a whole lot more engaging than Pillars, IMO.
I wonder if they will put some weird spin on this, like set it 500 years after PoE or something like this. Why continue teasing something like this if you already made it pretty clear that it will be a PoE game? I'd actually be surprised if this is "just" a regular PoE 2.

They've got to right? Without getting into spoilers, there's nowhere else to really go with the current Pillars lore. Unless it changes scale, like you're managing a town or something (and I mean really managing it, not that awful stronghold thing they slapped into PoE), I just dunno where they could go with it.

They did say they wanted to improve the Stronghold (which was just a slapped on Kickstarter stretch goal anyway), but that may have just been for White March.

JC Sera

They did say they wanted to improve the Stronghold (which was just a slapped on Kickstarter stretch goal anyway), but that may have just been for White March.
The stronghold equivalent in tyranny definitely felt a lot better, and was far more naturally integrated into the main story

Top Bottom