• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity 2 announcement incoming?

Lifeline

I made it up to the part where you form your party and leave the first town on the first game and just stopped. Does it get any better or is it just more of what i already did?

epmode

I'm hoping I don't get intermittent stutters in the next game. Between Pillars and the new Homeworld game, I'm really annoyed about performance in big Unity games.

Nzyme32

"Dev Stream - Pillars of Eternity Director's Commentary with Josh Sawyer"

Doesn't sound like they will make an actual reveal right now.... though I really hope they do. I'd take a wild guess that they will follow in the footsteps of Divinity 2 with another Kickstarter, but based on building upon what the work they have done so far on Pillars 2.

Oh the stream is playing the live Hungary Orchestra version of the Pillars Theme. Love it

Bluth54

Obsidian also recently sent out an email to people who kickstarted Pillars of Eternity asking them what they what sort of things they would like to see in a future game. They didn't say directly it was for the collector's edition of Pillars 2 but it was pretty obvious that was the intention.

robotrock

Banned
Josh had teased it enough that I hope it can just be announced. I would imagine it ends up on Fig?

Fig just launched a campaign for a game today. I think they do one campaign at a time...but they might have done 2 simultaneously before? Would bode well with all this Pillars 2 stuff happening today.

eggandI

Banned
Idk they would have to either slow the combat down or go full turn based for me to give this a try :/

PoE combat felt like a chore after a while because every character has a bunch of skills and you have to pause every .03 secs to figure out what you're going to do next. At that point you really just might as well go full turn based. Actually they should definitely go turn based..

There was also way too much talking.

BGII still the king

Anno

Fig just launched a campaign for a game today. I think they do one campaign at a time...but they might have done 2 simultaneously before? Would bode well with all this Pillars 2 stuff happening today.

They have two going right now with the new game. Don't think I've seen three before, though, but who knows. I would prefer KS for sure if they go with crowdfunding, it just seems unlikely given their investment in Fig.

I liked Pillars a lot the first time I played it.

I'm replaying it now for the first time since launch--with the 3.0+ patches and the White March--and loving it even more.

Can't wait.

Idk they would have to either slow the combat down or go full turn based for me to give this a try :/

PoE combat felt like a chore after a while because every character has a bunch of skills and you have to pause every .03 secs to figure out what you're going to do next. At that point you really just might as well go full turn based. Actually they should definitely go turn based.
I feel this, and it's even worse in Tyranny. I wish these games gave us fewer but more meaningful abilities.

By the endgame of Tyranny, it's almost impossible to roughly calculate what any given attack or ability will do. There are just so many passives, talents, spells, consumables, abilities, etc. flung on top of one another.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I really tried to enjoy Pillars of Eternity, but I kept encountering NPCs that basically just hit me with walls of text and no way to interact with them, and then did not enjoy the combat at all. And it didn't help that the animations were so stiff and dated. I like the top-down perspective, but there was no reason for the characters to look like they were automatons.

I liked Tyranny a bit better, but again the combat was a snooze fest, the animation was stiff, and the voice acting was terrible.

The Wart

Stream over with no announcement despite everyone on chat screaming about it. Josh's poker face is excellent. A++ trolling I ain't even mad.

So probably later this week sometime?

ZZMitch

Yes! Just started playing PoE again after taking almost 10 months off. Turn based RPGs are more my thing but I would love to play more PoE and experience this universe some more.

Anno

So speculation on the forum seems to be that there will be 8 letters revealed, presumably one every day. Then earlier Josh linked to a YouTube video of The Beatles' "Eight Days a Week". So maybe next Thursday?

Lister

Banned

PoE combat felt like a chore after a while because every character has a bunch of skills and you have to pause every .03 secs to figure out what you're going to do next. At that point you really just might as well go full turn based. Actually they should definitely go turn based..

Did you try setting combat speed to automaticlaly slow down once it starts? It makes combat a heck of a lot more manageable. The base time is WAY too fast, I agree.

There was also way too much talking.

NO.

BGII still the king

YES! But not by much. They're getting closer.

Arulan

Someone on the Obsidian forums discovered something, and a countdown.

UywVgGOl.jpg

They think it might spell Deadfire. If so, that would mean the Deadfire Archipelago.

Honestly, the last thing I want is a PoE 2.

It would be cool of Obsidian to maybe get out of their current isometric RPG comfort zone and try something new.

I really believe Obsidian makes great games. But they're not really my types of games.

I bought PoE to mostly support them and I'm happy to. But PoE isn't my type of game.

I want them to make games that requires mechanics. Can you imagine if they took a chance at a Dark Souls type of game with their lore? I'd want to inject it into my veins.

Excellent!

With the updates and expansions PoE stands tall up there with the best of them when it comes to RPGs. Such a delight to explore the world and its characters. The combat was a vast improvement over IE but I agree with Sawyer that the number of trash mobs was excessive. I dove into the hardest difficulty right from the start and was quite fed up with cutting down woodskin druids by the end of it. On the plus side the game kept you on your toes when you ran into an encounter as you were usually only a few bad rolls from a wipe.

Running on the hardest difficulty replicated that feeling of encountering a badass dragon in BG2 and getting one-shot on your first try. You think "well I guess I'm not supposed to be here!" before you switch things around and find something in your arsenal that just works for bringing it down. It's so satisfying when the encounters feel memorable and you get a sense of accomplishment. I wish the next game would focus on that and give you more options (equipment in the early PoE is just dull) and more ways to approach a dungeon or encounter.

Oh and nerf doorways.

kevin1025

Banned
Someone on the Obsidian forums discovered something, and a countdown.

UywVgGOl.jpg

They think it might spell Deadfire. If so, that would mean the Deadfire Archipelago.

Josh Sawyer was talking up the Deadfire Archipelago on the Twitch stream this evening after a few questions, and mentioned the different terrains and what that stretch of land could entail. There was definitely some enthusiasm in the way he talked about it, and then a stretch of silence after like the cat had been let out of the bag (this is just my analysis on it).

It would be cool of Obsidian to maybe get out of their current isometric RPG comfort zone and try something new.

Not happening.

Pillars is their first IP that they can call their own.

Now they have 2. PoE and Tyranny.

Obsidian is gonna exploit the fuck out of this new paradigm.

Try something new.. like 3rd person RPG?

Does Obsidian have the manpower and/or budget to do something like that?

Famassu

What, Obsidian should branch out to the lucrative market of puzzle games? 2d Platformers? Minecraft clones? Point & Click games? Isometric RPG games aren't common enough for there to be all that much (sub)genre fatique, let alone genre fatique from Obsidian considering they've release all of TWO isometric RPGs since they somewhat exited the AAA market. That's not a comfort zone, especially since they took on a pretty unique setting of "evil won" in the second one, Tyranny, that's them just making what they want to and doing it well.

If you mean you want them to make more Alpha Protocol type 3rd person games or Fallout New Vegas type first person open world games, that's not called "exiting their comfort zone", that's called "having major publisher backing (however badly handled on the publishers' side...)"

I really believe Obsidian makes great games. But they're not really my types of games.

I bought PoE to mostly support them and I'm happy to. But PoE isn't my type of game.

I want them to make games that requires mechanics. Can you imagine if they took a chance at a Dark Souls type of game with their lore? I'd want to inject it into my veins.
Ummm. They do require mechanics. Discussion mechanics. Combat mechanics. Party management mechanics. All kinds. And you can want it all day, but no one is making a Souls-like game without the major backing of a publisher. Isometric RPGs are something Obsidian can make with their current resources while still allowing for something relatively large scale and story & choice-driven. Obsidian Souls would require ten times the budget, which is simply out of their reach without SOMEONE stepping in to pay the bills.

Budi

giphy.gif

Oh boy, are we really now at a point that people not only want to turn Witcher into Dark Souls, but Obsidian's RPG:s too. What is wrong with you people, Souls has been milked enough.

If they aren't your type of games why can't you just leave it at that? They aren't for you, but you want to support them, that's great. But don't try to change it for the rest of us who do love these isometric cRPGs.

dude

dude

I LOVE Dark Souls but would probably not buy an Obsidian Dark Souls-like game.
First, because, I mean, I have Dark Souls and everybody and their brothers are trying to "Soulsify" their games. I'm not exactly swimming in isometric RPGs.
Second, I mean... I love Obsidian, but I wouldn't trust them to create something like Dark Souls. I've played their third-person games. I don't think this is their strong suit.

Also, what does "require mechanics" even mean?

Nzyme32

This is really silly as a concept. You will never get the nuance, detail and mechanics of games like POE and Tyranny in the form of a third person action game like Dark Souls, nor will you get such wide ranging concepts and branching dialogue etc etc.

There are other IP and companies that will do all of those of things, but this genre is unique in its ability to go to such depths and explore mechanics only suited to its genre

Also, what does "require mechanics" even mean?

Sounds like the calling card of someone who hasn't even attempted said games or has no idea what "mechanics" are

Sarek

Seems stupid to even prompt speculations and get peoples hypes up for a new IP / fallout / vtmb if it's obvious that it's PoE2 anyways

Well a new VtM game is almost as certain as PoE2. Leonard Boyarsky joined Obsidian to work "on his dream project" spring 2016, only half a year after Paradox bought White Wolf. Seems way too convinient to be just an coincidence.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

lol wtf does this mean?

Dalibor68

Banned
Well a new VtM game is almost as certain as PoE2. Leonard Boyarsky joined Obsidian to work "on his dream project" spring 2016, only half a year after Paradox bought White Wolf. Seems way too convinient to be just an coincidence.

The question is, do they have enough budget to make a more or less AAA VtMB(1st/3rd person, good graphics, lots of voiceacting) game? Because I have zero interest in an isometric bloodlines game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The question is, do they have enough budget to make a more or less AAA VtMB(1st/3rd person, good graphics, lots of voiceacting) game? Because I have zero interest in an isometric bloodlines game.

If you are expecting a sequel to Bloodlines in all forms, dont. Paradox is not Activision. Its not 2004 anymore either.

Hupsel

PoE was... cool. But holy shit it didnt respect the players time at all. Act 2 was soooo bullshit when you got to the big city, and almost ALL the quests required you to go to another district, go past 4 loading screens only to talk to one NPC and go all the way back to the first district. It was so dumb and pointless and took a shit ton of time.

Top Bottom