• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity Gone Gold! Releasing March 26th

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If I'm a Fighter and I'm putting points in "Soul" to deal more damage, I think I'm even more confused than a Wizard stacking points in "Might."

They could have just called it Power or something equally interchangeable. "I put a lot of power behind my sword swing," or "I put a lot of power into my fireball." "You used your powerful, rippling thighs, glistening in the noon day sun, taught with fury and righteousness to dislodge the menacing boulder off the sickly old crone on the side of the road. She gives you one gold coin."

That said I don't find Might itself to be all the offensive or misplaced as short hand for Mental and Physical prowess.

Reading the Wizard Spells and Powers pages of the wiki, I am now conflicted between Wizard and Cipher.

I can't speak to this game specifically, having only played with the beta for about 30 seconds before deciding to wait on the final game.

That said, D&D (tabletop) has had this issue for a long time, where different attributes do different things for different classes, and it's a huge mess when trying to teach people how to play, and it tends to result in one or two attributes being better than the others.

I'm all for making attributes useful to everyone, but tying physical and magical/soul prowess together isn't the ideal way.

If I'm a Fighter and I'm putting points in "Soul" to deal more damage, I think I'm even more confused than a Wizard stacking points in "Might."

Never played a Souls game, then? =)

Sawyer's mission to open up build options is, in theory, as friendly to veterans experimenting with unconventional builds as it is to new players who don't want to find out, twenty hours in, that they've put all their points in the wrong stat. In either case, an unconventional distribution gives you an unconventional character rather than a bad one.

Of course that's just the theory. In execution, PoE's stats make some role-playing choices easier and some harder. I don't think it is inherently worse than the traditional D&D system, but I understand why people attached to certain builds from D&D games are upset those builds don't work the same way here.

Finalow

some quality marketing text from Chris Avellone.

CAZCzeWU0AITmw0.jpg:large

hemtae

Not saying $45 is unreasonable in a world where $60 The Order 1886 exists, but what kind of discount do you think we can expect by the Steam summer sale?

Eek. I'm super hyped for Pillars of Eternity, but I think I'll wait until the game drops to around €35. Not because I'm cheap, but I only have €33 on my Steam Wallet, and I'm in a really tight financial spot right now :(

Want to buy this, but that price...

GAF user Snakethesniper is looking for two other people to go in with him/her for a $60 for three keys deal.

I guess a release-day embargo makes sense if you don't want the game spoiled nine ways to Sunday by the time everyone can actually play it... but it still distresses me.

epmode

Release day embargos are tacky as shit when pre-order bonuses or discounts are in play so I'm pretty disappointed with Obsidian. At least lift the embargo a day before or allow backers to play the full game a day or two early so the word can get out.

pahamrick

Release day embargos are tacky as shit when pre-order bonuses or discounts are in play so I'm pretty disappointed with Obsidian. At least lift the embargo a day before or allow backers to play the full game a day or two early so the word can get out.

The only part I think is tacky about the whole situation is that streamers / youtubers will get early access and able to start showing footage starting on Monday before release, but it looks like backers will still have to wait until release.

Speaking of preorder bonuses, I still don't know what Boo the giant miniature space piglet is supposed to do. And the ring makes me think of Bioware's style of preorder bonuses (which are awful).

pahamrick

Speaking of preorder bonuses, I still don't know what Boo the giant miniature space piglet is supposed to do. And the ring makes me think of Bioware's style of preorder bonuses (which are awful).

I don't think the space piglet does anything, it's just a little easter egg for Baldur's Gate.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I guess a release-day embargo makes sense if you don't want the game spoiled nine ways to Sunday by the time everyone can actually play it... but it still distresses me.

Ehh I'm OK with it, especially since they are letting people stream and give first looks 3 days prior to release so it won't be completely dark by any means. If there a big issues we'll know. Seems like it's mostly just an attempt to keep spoilers to a minimum and ensure that reviewers aren't trying to get clicks for putting out one of the first reviews without enough time in to actually play the majority or all of the game.

Not all review sites are willing to hold off putting out a full review until after release so they can actually play the whole game and get the full picture.

Plus with all the exposure from the Backer Beta it's not as if we don't already have a decent grasp on the mechanics side of things at least.

It's a pig that walks around. That's all pets do as far as I've read. There are like a dozen or so already in the game that you can acquire. This is just a special sparkly one that you get for backing or preordering the game. Might help illuminate dark areas as well for actual usefulness.

SerRodrik

I don't think the space piglet does anything, it's just a little easter egg for Baldur's Gate.

Yeah, there are pets in the game that are purely cosmetic. They're there to follow you around and look neat. The space piglet is just a special version of that.

pahamrick

Yeah, there are pets in the game that are purely cosmetic. They're there to follow you around and look neat. The space piglet is just a special version of that.

Yeah, I figured as such. It's a nice little nod to BG and to those who backed / pre-ordered. Wonder what the ring does, though.

epmode

If they really were concerned about spoilers, they wouldn't allow the streamers to start playing on Monday. I'll just stick with Bloodborne and try to ignore Twitch/Youtube.

pmj

I'm #268. I guess that's what I get for watching the video before pledging.

And I for one love what they're doing with the stats. I always hated how character creation in the older games -for me anyway- was always about dropping all stats as low as they go and then putting them into the two or three relevant for my class.

Maybe it's not perfect, but I'm actually going to have to think about what kind of character I want to be this time around. I like that.

Miletius

Backer #1652 checking in. I have not been following anything about this game at all, because I want to be surprised by everything, including character creation. Looking forward to firing up the game next week and creating a character from scratch, probably a charismatic talker type, jack of all trades master of none which is what I usually play in these games.

Finalow

Pillars of Eternity |OT| this summer: PILLARS all eternities must eventually end.

or without the summer part.

sounds good

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I kind of feel like I should snag the expac now at the $20 backer price since I'm getting the game itself for my original $25 pledge. On the other hand I want to actually play the game and make sure I like it first.

Farks!

Backer #2111 checking in!

Hard to believe it's been 2,5 years. And now we're finally getting to play it! If there's any Kickstarter project that I've backed that matters, it's this one.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So the streams starting Monday can only show the first act of the game it seems. So I guess a won't see all that much depending on how long that opening act is.

I'm going to do my absolute best to not watch any though. I just need to stay strong for 3 1/2 days.

Backer #58025 =/

I was really strapped for money at that time (so I guess nothing's changed). I managed to get $50 to back it, though.

Though I'm not a backer, I still am really excited to play this game. I am a little disappointed that the review embargo is the day of release though.

I will not lie: As a backer, It moderately annoys me that there are people playing the finished game before me because they're more useful marketing tools. I'm not sure that's 100% okay. Just had to get that out there.

I shall take solace in the fact that I have a paper due this week and an exam next week, so clearly Obsidian was trying to do me a favor.

Kinthalis

Banned
So the streams starting Monday can only show the first act of the game it seems. So I guess a won't see all that much depending on how long that opening act is.

I'm going to do my absolute best to not watch any though. I just need to stay strong for 3 1/2 days.

I don't think I'm going to be able to hold out. I MUST WATCH IT!!!

P.S: I got my copy of the guidebook. Man, it feels like I'm holding a D&D book in my hand. Unfortunately I'm stuck doing work tonight so I won't get to sit down with it until bedtime :(

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I don't think I'm going to be able to hold out. I MUST WATCH IT!!!

P.S: I got my copy of the guidebook. Man, it feels like I'm holding a D&D book in my hand. Unfortunately I'm stuck doing work tonight so I won't get to sit down with it until bedtime :(

Lucky bastard. I wish they would sent out the backer rewards before the release, but I'm guessing they won't do that because they don't physical backers to get left behind or feel left out since I doubt they'd be able to ensure they would be shipped and delivered early.

It would be really nice spending the couple days before release reading through the guidebook and collectors book to immerse ourselves into the setting and lore.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How do you find your backer number?

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/backings?ref=nav then click on Project Eternity, the popup should tell you your number.

Like so:

Ohh the shame.

Wait wut?

giphy.gif

I know it's probably because a ton of people backed out of their pledges before it closed. Cheap bastards.

Would changing your initial pledge result in a new backer number? I thought I pledged many weeks before the final date but I think I remember altering my pledge from the $20 tier to the $50 like literally only a couple hours at best left.

Joey Ravn

Banned
OK, I caved in and pre-ordered Pillars for the grand amount of... €7.44. Yes: seven point forty-four eurodollars.

God bless Steam Trading Cards and the Steam Marketplace. Steam almost gave me this game for a song!

Eek. I'm super hyped for Pillars of Eternity, but I think I'll wait until the game drops to around €35. Not because I'm cheap, but I only have €33 on my Steam Wallet, and I'm in a really tight financial spot right now :(

Want to buy this, but that price...

GAF user Snakethesniper is looking for two other people to go in with him/her for a $60 for three keys deal.

Thanks! Snakethesniper bought a key elsewhere, but I have user cicero are seeing if we can get in on that 3/$60 deal. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Top Bottom