• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign live on Fig

Eusis

Jumped in at $28, thought about it and bumped it to $45, then saw the coupon and applied it. Tax return should be in by the time that's over and even if not I'll just jump back down since I backed the first game.

And wow, pledger #9. This is what happens when I see a "5 minutes" tweet 4 minutes after it posted! And this post is what happens when you don't bother to bring it up until late in the day.

So is the implication of streaming tech and NPC schedules that PoE 2 is open world?

It'll be interesting to see if it actually works out the way they describe, being able to search for a group of people. If it doesn't work out, I foresee a lot of "wait for an hour at a time until the target shows up where they're supposed to be" happening otherwise.

It's also interesting that they don't mention anything new for the player or progression. In either new items, spells, or classes or whatever. The pitch is just, "more adventures." Wonder if there's a Mask of the Betrayer-esque twist in there.
Please, for LurkerPrime's sake. Delete this.

what

Buggy Loop

I love CRPGs, don't know why i skipped PoE though, i backed Torment Tides of numenera back around then i guess and was satisfied.

Is the complete pillars bundle @ 79$ worth it for including the first one + both march expansions? It's basically 50$ for the first game. Were there easily better specials on steam?

Anno

I love CRPGs, don't know why i skipped PoE though, i backed Torment Tides of numenera back around then i guess and was satisfied.

Is the complete pillars bundle @ 79$ worth it for including the first one + both march expansions? It's basically 50$ for the first game. Were there easily better specials on steam?

It's been $18 I think in Steam sales. Not sure about the expansion. It's definitely a good deal if you want them right at the end of this, probably not so great if you can wait for the next big sale.

What does everyone think about multi-classing and expanding soul-bound items?

I'm all in on Soulbound items. I want more with more lore and maybe insane ways to unlock certain tiers that are special in some way. I love the idea.

Multiclassing I'm interested in but it's so hard to get right. Still, anything to provide additional options is good.

The combat in Tyranny has me a little worried about how this will turn out, but I'll probably still end up getting it. :p Beautiful graphics at the very least.

What does everyone think about multi-classing and expanding soul-bound items?

I thought Soulbound items were great. Unique, class-limited items with interesting lore and special properties go a long way toward making me feel a connection between character and item.

Multiclassing sounds good to me. I thought the ability to take out-of-class feats in WM worked out pretty well, and I don't see how more build flexibility would be a bad thing.

The combat in Tyranny has me a little worried about how this will turn out, but I'll probably still end up getting it. :p Beautiful graphics at the very least.

This will have much, much better combat than Tyranny.

Arulan

Compared to Pillars of Eternity? They're separate teams, and Josh Sawyer recently said that it's okay for each to be their own thing. They might take the hyperlinked tooltips, but I don't expect much else.

Eusis

Is GAF going to go in on an inn again, or maybe a pirate band this time?
We already had an inn, it's time for a fucking island.

Which will probably seem even more appropriate after the last few years culminating in the election.

Compared to Pillars of Eternity? They're separate teams, and Josh Sawyer recently said that it's okay for each to be their own thing. They might take the hyperlinked tooltips, but I don't expect much else.

I enjoyed Tyranny, and would have actually liked to replay it, but the combat was not for me. I thought the combat in PoE was average to good, so I'm glad to hear the MMO rotating abilities on cooldown isn't making it's way to PoE2.

Hmmm....I'm in at the custom player portrait level ($1250), and they've added a custom NPC based on your likeness level ($1500).....

What do you all think is more worthwhile?
(1) Custom full-color player portrait painted by an artist on the team based on a photo you send them
OR
(2) Become a custom NPC with "ink-wash portrait" directly modeled after your likeness, with role and location of NPC determined by the team?

It's strange that they placed the 2nd offering of the custom player portrait tier at $1750, implying that it is potentially worth more than the $1500 custom NPC level.

Anno

Hmmm....I'm in at the custom player portrait level ($1250), and they've added a custom NPC based on your likeness level ($1500).....

(1) Custom full-color player portrait painted by an artist on the team based on a photo you send them
OR
(2) Become a custom NPC with "ink-wash portrait" directly modeled after your likeness, with role and location of NPC determined by the team?

It's strange that they placed the 2nd offering of the custom player portrait tier at $1750, implying that it is potentially worth more than the $1500 custom NPC level.

I'd stick with the portrait personally. I was eyeing that before they all went so quickly. Interesting to see them back +$500!

Buggy Loop

I'm in @ 29$ tier.

God i love the revival of CRPG's on PC. I could play these + indie + strategy games for the rest of my days.

OR

As a player, I'd always appreciate more official player portraits.

Like, IIRC, my favourite PoE portrait
b4bef356407e2bf21da70a7d13410e50.jpg
was a backer one.

And it is the absolute best.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wow already past 50%. Yeah this will get funded but curious if it comes anywhere close to the final total of the first games kickstarter campaign.

Eusis

Wow already past 50%. Yeah this will get funded but curious if it comes anywhere close to the final total of the first games kickstarter campaign.
Probably not. The hunger's more satiated between PoE1 and Tyranny I suspect, nevermind games like Wasteland 2 and Torment hitting (well, close enough for the latter.) The fact this thread's sitting at 3 pages rather than going thermonuclear says something, plus what Wasteland 3 landed at.

Goddamn, PoE II looks stunning. Those backgrounds are just gorgeous. I backed the first game, but still haven't gotten to play it. I do love me some Sawyer and Obsidian, though, so I'll definitely be backing. Also, Matthew Mercer should narrate everything.

I'd stick with the portrait personally. I was eyeing that before they all went so quickly. Interesting to see them back +$500!

As a player, I'd always appreciate more official player portraits.

Like, IIRC, my favourite PoE portrait

was a backer one.

And it is the absolute best.

Wow, that is a killer portrait......

The dev team replied in a comment with these extra details about the NPC level:

"They are a NPC that is incorporated into a quest, and will also have a unique NPC portrait (these are different than our normal portraits, which we'll be explain about soon). You also get to pick a name, class, race, clothing, all that stuff."

So one of ~70 player portraits, custom painted by artist or NPC with probably lower quality portrait, customized name, history, specs etc. and incorporation into a quest.........

......have to admit that the choice is hard. 1st world problem, I know.......

Arulan

It has been a while since I've gone back to play it. I don't recall it being that high.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they're going to keep the same art style for the new portraits, or update any of the old ones.

Altazor

Goddamn, PoE II looks stunning. Those backgrounds are just gorgeous. I backed the first game, but still haven't gotten to play it. I do love me some Sawyer and Obsidian, though, so I'll definitely be backing. Also, Matthew Mercer should narrate everything.

he has a great voice. He managed to make Edér and Aloth sound really different, too.

Might want to ask Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew if they're willing to host it again.

Man... I'd be honored to!! How many folks are interested?

What's the best medium these days to use for accepting donations without any fees or repercussions? I don't have disposable money as I used to have lol.

Last time, I used PayPal.

Almighty

I backed it, but I am reminded I never did play the expansions for the first one. I also learned that my hype for crowd funding is pretty much gone it seems or perhaps all the great RPGs over the past few years has spoiled me. I felt no real hype for this announcement and i enjoyed vanilla PoE and more recently Tyranny.

Alastor3

I liked POE but I REALLY didn't get into the story, it was.... actually the problem was the pacing, I don't even remember it much except for a tower and souless babies. I finished act 2, started the first dlc, almost finishing it and just stopped. The trailer of POE2 look good so I wonder if I could start from a fresh start, but I wish I knew more about the cast, the side quest for Aloth was hilarious.

Actually I think the thing I hate the most about the game beside the pacing is the combat, I only use the same strategy over and over again just to wait, and im playing on Hard.

Top Bottom