• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

DrSlek

I'm regretting assigning Durance to an adventure at the stronghold. He's the only major buffer/healer I have. I should have created a custom adventurer and had them take the mission.

Man that epitaph thing seems to have blown up rather quickly. I guess a lot of folks think it was obsidians doing rather than an oversight. Hope it blows over quick so people don't boycott a genuinely good dev.

Also someone mod out all backer epitaphs/ souls pls.

Storm in a teacup.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Well just found a rather annoying bug when buying and selling. If you click an enchanted item when selling it, it gets stripped of all it's enchantments and gets sold at the base price.

I was selling enchanted plate armor that was worth 805cp and when I clicked to add it to the trade box it showed all enchantments gone and woth 200cp.

Drag and drop doesn't have this issue.

lol what the shit is up with double clicking and erasing effects in this game?

Raphael

Roommate is having problems with the game saying his hirelings are unpaid while he has the money to pay them and it just said that it paid them. Anyone else have a good solution to this issue?

Also, when exactly do you get tax income from the stronghold? I feel like I've had mine forever and the only tax collection I've seen so far was taken by bandits. I love the idea of the stronghold but not really caring for the implementation/lack of documentation.

Have that as well. I didnt do anything, its like that after many hours/turns. No consequences. Guess the bug is just for The text.

robin2

So what class makes best use of two-handed weapons? Seems like tanks want shields and DPS classes like rogues would rather duel weld light weapons for more hits.
From what I've played the game doesn't want you to fixate on some weapon, I'm seeing little weapon specialization among the abilities/feats. I think you're encouraged/supposed to switch weapons around depending on the enemy.
A two handed weapon can be better than dual light weapons, against enemies with average deflection and high damage reduction.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any way to quickly switch your party to their secondary weapon, other than clicking on each member's icon?

Durante

What the hell? Why, how?
Well, every map seems to have at least 1 or 2 lying around, and I usually only use them in dungeons right before picking up a replacement. I'm frugal. And whenever possible I use inns, since the bonus is easily worth the tiny expense.

Volodja

I'm basically stuck at the decision at the very end of the "At all cost" questline (Vailian trade post in Ondra's Gift).

It's a split between what I want to do and the amount of content and quests that choice would cut out of this playthrough if I decided to go down that road.
I may just leave that decision for later and concentrate on other questlines for a while.

Bastos

I must be doing something very wrong because I can't even kill the wolves south of Gilded Vale. The party so far is just me and
Aloth

I'm playing on Hard because ppl said that Normal was too easy if you have some experience with CRPGs.

Dr Dogg

Talking about quests, I've just finished up the Raederic one. Really impressed with the amount of options open to you, like how you want to enter the keep itself, the people you bump into who you can engage in combat or dialogue to make progress easier and how the choices conflict with each other. And to top it all that's a side quest.

Jigorath

Banned
I must be doing something very wrong because I can't even kill the wolves south of Gilded Vale. The party so far is just me and
Aloth

I'm playing on Hard because ppl said that Normal was too easy if you have some experience with CRPGs.

You can always recruit person or two while you fill out your party with actual companions.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Aloth

Hire some adventurers in the inn. The early game is very rough if you don't.

Durante

first_weekendfrsua.png

That's more than I've played anything I can remember on the first (long) weekend in years.
I think this game is good.

Also, I still have tons of quests open in chapter 2.

Bastos

You can always recruit person or two while you fill out your party with actual companions.

Hire some adventurers in the inn. The early game is very rough if you don't.
I'll try doing that. I'm running with a Barbarian with Might/Con/Per as focus and no shields. Maybe that's what I'm also doing wrong, it's my first time not playing as a Fighter or Paladin and I can't remember the last time I played a CRPG haha, I didn't suck like this back then :c

Dunno if I should go for the sidequests already, create anothe character with a class more familiar to me or explore the dungeon at Gilded Vale.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Goddamn. Eder has 16 different active effects on him right now and not a single suppression among the bunch. Dude is a fucking TANK.

Raphael

I dont bother with the food so one thing that I would love they would add to Poe is preping food and Eating while camping to get a few hours in game time worth of bonuses.

Cant be bothered otherwise. You guys use food?

Bl@de

first_weekendfrsua.png

That's more than I've played anything I can remember on the first (long) weekend in years.
I think this game is good.

Also, I still have tons of quests open in chapter 2.

That's ... A lot. Do you still sleep or did you ascend to a new plane of existence? xD I try to kill the hype with some Realms of Arkania. Happy everyone loves the game. Will play it in summer/winter. Looking forward. But damn, waiting for patches and sales can be hard sometimes

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Ugggggggggggggggggggggggggh. Ran into that bug in Raedric's Hold where the game just black screens and crashes...le sigh. I basically can't leave(whenever I try to go outside it crashes) lol. Just saw there is a 10+ page post on the Obsidian forums about it, as well as Reddit.

This + the double-click bug = me taking a break until they fix this game.
I have that same bug. It's very unfortunate.

Durante

That's ... A lot. Do you still sleep or did you ascend to a new plane of existence? xD I try to kill the hype with some Realms of Arkania. Happy everyone loves the game. Will play it in summer/winter. Looking forward. But damn, waiting for patches and sales can be hard sometimes
Come on, 39 hours in 3.5 days leaves ample time for sleep ;)

I even managed to spend ~4 hours across those 3 days on necessary real-life tasks.

I have that same bug. It's very unfortunate.
I was seriously dreading the point when I left the keep after that quest. Luckily it worked out for me. Seems like it's easily the worst bug in the game.

Galileo

Neo Member
I was thinking about why I find the quests in PoE so much more engaging than in most other RPGs.

I think at least part of the reason is that the NPCs who give you the quests and who you interact with throughout them are actual characters. They may have incomplete information, or withhold some from you. Most of them will only tell you the truth when forced to or if it is convenient for them. And very rarely is anyone clearly in the right.
I feel the same, I haven't had this much fun doing side quest in a long time, even the simplest one often have some kind of quirk or twist in the end.
Also, all of them include some kind of unique content made specifically for the quest (npcs, enemies, even entire areas in the bigger ones) and seldom there are multiple outcomes, some of which you can miss entirely if you're not thorough.

Labadal

Should I wait with Dyrford and just try to get to act 2?

Also, what's a good weapon for Eder? He's a great tank but doesn't deal much damage despite having an enchanted sword.

Anyone playing a melee DPS apart from a rogue? Barbs / fighters seem useless. DR and accuracy is absurd for melee characters.

Don't even get me started on Paladins.

Madouu

5iRt87z.png

I beat ya Durante! (and I'm just at the beginning of act 2)

Also, I've just spent the last 5 minutes deleting most of my 100 saves or so because it was starting to take up to 10 seconds to open the save game page. (Yes I save a lot, and yes I do quicksaves too)

Should I wait with Dyrford and just try to get to act 2?

Also, what's a good weapon for Eder? He's a great tank but doesn't deal much damage despite having an enchanted sword.

He comes with the Ruffian Weapon specialization, which includes Sabres. Its only an accuracy bonus but its better than nothing.

Bl@de

Come on, 39 hours in 3.5 days leaves ample time for sleep ;)

I even managed to spend ~4 hours across those 3 days on necessary real-life tasks.

Hehe yeah there's enough sleep along the way. But I'm happy if I have the time to play 2h a day, so 39h in 3 days is ... Shocking at first sight^^

How often should I be attempting to talk with party members? I don't want to continually stop and try to talk to my party every time something minor happens but I also don't want to miss out on the party member dialogue.

Durante

5iRt87z.png

I beat ya Durante! (and I'm just at the beginning of act 2)

Also, I've just spent the last 5 minutes deleting most of my 100 saves or so because it was starting to take up to 10 seconds to open the save game page. (Yes I save a lot, and yes I do quicksaves too)
I'll probably have to do the same soon, though I usually just archive the saves and don't delete them.

Hehe yeah there's enough sleep along the way. But I'm happy if I have the time to play 2h a day, so 39h in 3 days is ... Shocking at first sight^^
I did take Friday off at work specifically to play the game. So worth it.

Cerity

How often should I be attempting to talk with party members? I don't want to continually stop and try to talk to my party every time something minor happens but I also don't want to miss out on the party member dialogue.

A little chat box will appear on their portrait when something comes up.

Labadal

There's a speech bubble on their portrait when they have anything to talk about.

Labadal

He comes with the Ruffian Weapon specialization, which includes Sabres. Its only an accuracy bonus but its better than nothing.

I will try them out.

So anyone did Dyrford village before Defiance Bay?

I seem to get smacked around a lot. I didn't have this much trouble in the beta.

Violet_0

Banned
^ doing that now, because companions

there's a speaech bubble icon on the portrait on the portrait if they have something new to say

Zornack

I'll try doing that. I'm running with a Barbarian with Might/Con/Per as focus and no shields. Maybe that's what I'm also doing wrong, it's my first time not playing as a Fighter or Paladin and I can't remember the last time I played a CRPG haha, I didn't suck like this back then :c

Dunno if I should go for the sidequests already, create anothe character with a class more familiar to me or explore the dungeon at Gilded Vale.

I'd recommend either dinking around in town a bit more until you get the second companion (a tank fighter) or hiring a fighter or paladin. Playing the early game without a tank is rough.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can you fail the stronghold quests by sending somebody who is underleveled? Or can I just create 3 Level 1 dorks to do all the stuff for me?

Giever

Seems like if I have my max amount of camping supplies, and I use take all on some container that has one, it just ends up disappearing? How come it won't stay there so I can run back and get it if I need it, or so I can use one right then and then top off my supplies? :(

Top Bottom