• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

The upcoming release of Tyranny has spurred me to try and finish this game off after losing track a bit.

Do I remember right that one of the patches changed how hidden items were detected, or am I still going to be scurrying about areas in Quick Mode?

Well pretty early in the game I couldn't find a switch until I was in sneak mode. Not sure if that helps you get an answer.

Purkake4

Banned
Yup, for some reason sneak and detect hidden are in the same mode.

I mean it makes some sense for scouting stuff, but it's unintuitive as shit.

Ilive1up

i started this game back up after taking almost a year off from it. went with a fresh start, on easy mode because the game is too much for me. i'm enjoying it a lot more and hope to finish it this time.

Jokab

Finally started this game and it's soo difficult, and that's coming from someone who's beaten all the Baldur's Gate games. I have a Cipher and the Wizard you find in town, and I'm really struggling with the first crypt dungeon (I assume the game wants to go there). My Cipher really can't take any hits it seems, and only really use one ability per battle since she barely hits anything and therefore can't recharge focus. The wizard deals good damage but once he gets focused just by one monster, he's toast.

What am I missing here? I'm playing on normal.

Unai

Finally started this game and it's soo difficult, and that's coming from someone who's beaten all the Baldur's Gate games. I have a Cipher and the Wizard you find in town, and I'm really struggling with the first crypt dungeon (I assume the game wants to go there). My Cipher really can't take any hits it seems, and only really use one ability per battle since she barely hits anything and therefore can't recharge focus. The wizard deals good damage but once he gets focused just by one monster, he's toast.

What am I missing here? I'm playing on normal.

There's someone else you can recruit in that village. He should be your first tank.

Sarek

Do I remember right that one of the patches changed how hidden items were detected, or am I still going to be scurrying about areas in Quick Mode?

If I recall correctly it was changed so that you will always detect secrets four levels lower than your mechanics skill, but still need to use scouting mode for the more difficult ones.

Also probably the final PoE patch is out today. Fixes few minor bugs, but it is nice to see Obsidian still supporting this game with patches over year and a half after the release.

Irobot82

It's been a while since I've played this game. I remember getting pretty deep into White March but I had set it to be a challenge. I got to a point I just couldn't progress so I pulled an old save file and restarted it. Now it's at normal difficulty but I am having a huge problem with the mobs at the falls. Any advice? Also Pallagina is constantly dying on me. I have to micromanage her a lot.

It's been a while since I've played this game. I remember getting pretty deep into White March but I had set it to be a challenge. I got to a point I just couldn't progress so I pulled an old save file and restarted it. Now it's at normal difficulty but I am having a huge problem with the mobs at the falls. Any advice? Also Pallagina is constantly dying on me. I have to micromanage her a lot.

I hit my first road block yesterday myself. I've been talking to everyone and doing every quest I can. I got a new one to save some archmage from a band of mercs north east of my castle and got absolutely wrecked :\

Menome

I hit my first road block yesterday myself. I've been talking to everyone and doing every quest I can. I got a new one to save some archmage from a band of mercs north east of my castle and got absolutely wrecked :

That's a side-quest added in the expansion and is intended for high-level characters. I made the same mistake of charging in and got trampled on.

Yeah I found Cragholdt pretty tough for a level 12 party.

Which mobs? Those lizards with the blowguns and ice blights and such? What's your party?

Irobot82

Yeah I found Cragholdt pretty tough for a level 12 party.

Which mobs? Those lizards with the blowguns and ice blights and such? What's your party?

Yeah those are the ones. I'm a rogue, Eder, Pallagina, the barbarian, the priest, and the druid. Sorry it's early and I've temporarily forgot people's names.

Yeah those are the ones. I'm a rogue, Eder, Pallagina, the barbarian, the priest, and the druid. Sorry it's early and I've temporarily forgot people's names.

They do mainly pierce damage so consider stacking some DR against that, you can get it to 30 or more with plate armour and some spells. Give Pallegina the blunting belt, and have the priest use Armour of Faith and the Druid use Woodskin. (DR buffs to specific types like Woodskin will stack with "general" DR buffs like Armour of Faith.)

Also there's a few things you can do about the blow dart paralyze. You can remove it with Suppress Affliction and Liberating Exhortation but it's kind of spammy and so better to resist it the first place. It's actually an effect of poison type, so the druid level three spell Purge of Toxins will make you immune to it. You probably want to cast it on your backline, keep them out of sight at the start of the fight to get it off in time.

Also you can look in the crafting menu there's a level 2 scroll called Scroll of Protection, it won't make you immune but does reduce the paralyze duration and effects the whole party.

Also the lizards don't have great defenses or immunities themselves so consider just using AoE disables against the large groups. That's harder without a wizard, but if you look in the crafting menu you might be able make scrolls of confusion (level 4). These can make a huge difference.

This game has piqued my interest. I just have one question.

Can I customize every party member to my liking? As in, can I, if I want to, have a full dwarven female red haired paladin lineup?

Menome

This game has piqued my interest. I just have one question.

Can I customize every party member to my liking? As in, can I, if I want to, have a full dwarven female red haired paladin lineup?

If you hire Adventurers from an Inn, then yes. The companions that the game gives you are set in their looks and classes.

Irobot82

They do mainly pierce damage so consider stacking some DR against that, you can get it to 30 or more with plate armour and some spells. Give Pallegina the blunting belt, and have the priest use Armour of Faith and the Druid use Woodskin. (DR buffs to specific types like Woodskin will stack with "general" DR buffs like Armour of Faith.)

Also there's a few things you can do about the blow dart paralyze. You can remove it with Suppress Affliction and Liberating Exhortation but it's kind of spammy and so better to resist it the first place. It's actually an effect of poison type, so the druid level three spell Purge of Toxins will make you immune to it. You probably want to cast it on your backline, keep them out of sight at the start of the fight to get it off in time.

Also you can look in the crafting menu there's a level 2 scroll called Scroll of Protection, it won't make you immune but does reduce the paralyze duration and effects the whole party.

Also the lizards don't have great defenses or immunities themselves so consider just using AoE disables against the large groups. That's harder without a wizard, but if you look in the crafting menu you might be able make scrolls of confusion (level 4). These can make a huge difference.

Thanks for all the tips!

owlbeak

I just picked this up on the new sale, I held off initially waiting for all the parts to be released. I am a HUGE fan of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, IW 1 & 2, and all the old Black Isle game, so I feel right at home here. Sad that I missed the Kickstarter for this one, but I'm about ~7 hours in and loving all of it so far.

Any tips? I am currently
trying to figure out how to get into Defiance Bay
. Hopefully get a couple of warriors into the stronghold for recruitment soon, because I only have one right now (Kana, though he is not primarily a warrior).

Looking forward to the rest of the game, and once I'm done I'm excited to grab Tyranny. Hopefully Obsidian keeps making classic-style CRPGs like this. I missed them!

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I assume there's no way to (WM2 ending spoilers)
convince the Eyeless to temper Abydon's memories if you were pro-animancy at the hearing and convinced Aloth to be anti-authoritarian?
Had a look through the quest files to double check but it really looks like you have to get 2/3 for that top section. Fair enough if so, it's not like the base game was overflowing with reactivity like that; if Pillars 2 is more like the expansion than the base game I'll be pretty happy (preferably with less snow).

Finally getting around to PoE after playing Baldur's Gate. What's a good build for a paladin?

Check the builds forum at obsidian: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/85492-the-obsidian-boards-build-list-last-modified-28-out-16/

Lots of cool stuff. Counselor Ploi is my favorite. But Shits on fire is more straight forward.

I prefer to play them as more of a support, they have some excellent stuff for this. Lay on Hands, Liberating and Reinforcing Exhortation are all good. Shielding Touch (Shieldbearer only) and Inspiring Liberation (Darcozzi only) are both great since they stack with regular accuracy/deflection buffs, the game can be a bit arbitrary about this. Also take Sacred Immolation at level 13 it's op as hell.

Rizzi

Check the builds forum at obsidian: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/85492-the-obsidian-boards-build-list-last-modified-28-out-16/

Lots of cool stuff. Counselor Ploi is my favorite. But Shits on fire is more straight forward.

I prefer to play them as more of a support, they have some excellent stuff for this. Lay on Hands, Liberating and Reinforcing Exhortation are all good. Shielding Touch (Shieldbearer only) and Inspiring Liberation (Darcozzi only) are both great since they stack with regular accuracy/deflection buffs, the game can be a bit arbitrary about this. Also take Sacred Immolation at level 13 it's op as hell.

Thank you.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So when a resting bonus says, "lasts 3 rests," how can I make it so the next time I rest I don't overwrite my resting bonus? Is it only at inns that say "no bonus?" I seem to be forced to always take a bonus when I camp wild.

Is there any huge reason to use the story party members over created characters? I kind of don't care so much about story stuff, but do you lose out on a lot of quest experience or special equipment or anything to that effect?

Just hit Act III, and it's even more jolting on a second playthrough how rushed the content here is, and how quickly the writing nosedives into straight lore dump.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the first part of The White March, and the fully patched version of this game is so much better than the release version.

Top Bottom