• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

aravuus

I've lost all my earlier saves, is the DLC handled like in Witcher 3 (can start the DLC quest right away from the main menu with a leveled-up Geralt) or do I have to play through the first x hours of the main quest again to get to the DLC quest?

Lanrutcon

I've lost all my earlier saves, is the DLC handled like in Witcher 3 (can start the DLC quest right away from the main menu with a leveled-up Geralt) or do I have to play through the first x hours of the main quest again to get to the DLC quest?

The second option. It's not stand-alone. It's made for level 8 characters, I believe? It has scaling options for higher level parties.

aravuus

The second option. It's not stand-alone. It's made for level 8 characters, I believe? It has scaling options for higher level parties.

Thanks, I'll do a proper replay then. I'm not a fan of battle micro-managing, so the party AI should make it a lot more fun.

Unai

I was starting my playthough as a cipher as well. Now I'm wondering if I want to change it. How are the Ranger in this game?

Lanrutcon

I was starting my playthough as a cipher as well. Now I'm wondering if I want to change it. How are the Ranger in this game?

They're cool. After the buffs they got in 2.0 (we're now in 3.0) they performed a lot better. Aka their pets stopped dying so frequently.

Durante

Is anyone doing a White March OT?
Since no one spoke up I made one.

It's actually impossible to find (or at least I couldn't) a bullet-point list of new features, content and improvements since the original release.
So I had to piece it together and write it on my own. Obsidian hates marketing obviously.

LuuKyK

I was looking for an excuse to buy this game ever since the first steam sale I saw it with a reduced price. Now that I have no other game to play and its on steam's midweek madness I couldn't possibly delay this purchase. Played for a couple of hours and I am loving it. The music is fantastic and overall it kind of feels like the first Diablo for some reason. Can't wait to dig deeper in the game.

danthefan

Since no one spoke up I made one.

It's actually impossible to find (or at least I couldn't) a bullet-point list of new features, content and improvements since the original release.
So I had to piece it together and write it on my own. Obsidian hates marketing obviously.

I did notice that too, there seems to be lots of high level info but I haven't seen what you describe either. Kind of annoying, I haven't played it since launch, just coming back into it now.

bati

More than in your average RPG, yeah. Most of Obsidian's RPGs are praised for good C&C.

I'd say that if you care about roleplaying (beyond just the stats, lol) they're the only AA/AAA rpg developer that supports it on an acceptable level.

Quick question : I have really little time to play the game. Will I seriously taint the experience playing in "story time" ? Can you change the difficulty during a game ?

Dineren

Banned
Just curious, was there ever an update on the Chris Avellone novella or were the short stories supposed to replace that? Last update I saw was Chris saying he had submitted it for editing in June last year.

I also noticed on my kickstarter backing list it was also supposed to have an audio version which seems pretty unlikely at this point.

Just curious, was there ever an update on the Chris Avellone novella or were the short stories supposed to replace that? Last update I saw was Chris saying he had submitted it for editing in June last year.

I also noticed on my kickstarter backing list it was also supposed to have an audio version which seems pretty unlikely at this point.

If the rumors of Avellone's departure being less than friendly are true (plus the way they handled backer content), I really do not think we'll see anything by him whether it is done or not.

Eusis

Wonder if anyone will try to take them up on that it was supposed to be fulfilled? Some did pay extra for that after all.

Dineren

Banned
Good news! I guess I just didn't search well enough, Adam Brennecke confirmed in February that it is done (including the audiobook). The only thing left is the cover illustration apparently.

Wonder if anyone will try to take them up on that it was supposed to be fulfilled? Some did pay extra for that after all.

InXile ships a game and has another in beta. Kickstarter asks for refunds and screams betrayal and scam.

Double Fine spends all their KS money and the game isn't done yet. Everyone shrugs "eh".

The moral of the story is that Kickstarter backers are incredibly fickle, especially around the bigger companies versus new ones.

So who knows.

Fou-Lu

I really want to play this game. I've restarted it so many times to try different classes and I just can't decide. I will never make it past the first few hours.

injurai

Banned
I really want to play this game. I've restarted it so many times to try different classes and I just can't decide. I will never make it past the first few hours.

This was my problem for a long time as well. I eventually settled on Cipher. You'll get the tastes for most of the classes just through your party.

I feel the game really opens up once you get a larger party. It's hard to really feel at home with any single class during the beginning of the game just because they all feel so limited to start.

injurai

Banned
I'm thinking about going Cipher or Wizard.

You get a wizard really early on. I think Ciphers are a little more versatile, they can sort of act as spellswords. You can reasonable off-tank with one. I atleast had more fun settling on that class. They really shine with ranged weapons too. I find a lot of versatility in them in combat that I don't feel I quite get out of other classes that seem to have a lot more in the way of spells.

wagamer

White March pt 2 question:
Is it normal that everyone attacks me at The Abbey of the Fallen Moon, both outside and inside the fortress? Or have I screwed things up?
It's a bit tough at hard difficulty, and lowering to Normal doesn't really do anything since I believe it affects only places that haven't been visited.

White March pt 2 question:
Is it normal that everyone attacks me at The Abbey of the Fallen Moon, both outside and inside the fortress? Or have I screwed things up?
It's a bit tough at hard difficulty, and lowering to Normal doesn't really do anything since I believe it affects only places that haven't been visited.

There are a couple of speech checks outside that you can pass to blag your way in, and you could likely stealth in via a side entrance outside as well.

Dr.Acula

Banned
F74J3k9.png

Am I failing this because it's not my party leader or something? I don't get it.

Mivey

Yup.

It's a stupid, stupid mechanic.

"Hmm, I could be telling my party leader that I see this thing, but .. that would violate etiquette, better just shut up."

I get why they do it, of course. With 6 characters, any one play through will probably have at least one that focuses on each particular stat.

petghost

Banned
im playing through this game for the first time after an aborted attempt at launch and while i think its quite solid there are a couple things about this game that i think are a bummer. i know i'm super late and i'm sure you've heard them all before but whatever.

i think the engagement system makes encounters kinda samey and stationary. its an interesting concept to try to pull off in rtwp but i dno man.

encounters themselves are not terribly exciting. there are tons of them and most of them have very similar trash enemies which has led to a kind of rinse and repeat thing for me which doesn't involve a lot of thought.

i think its cool they tried something different with the attributes in the name of allowing more diverse characters but i think if that was their intention they failed, for instance why wouldn't you want a character with very high might? basically any class seems to need that.

the writing is hilariously flowery at times.

still having a lot of fun though!

Dr.Acula

Banned
"Hmm, I could be telling my party leader that I see this thing, but .. that would violate etiquette, better just shut up."

I get why they do it, of course. With 6 characters, any one play through will probably have at least one that focuses on each particular stat.

It just threw me, because other skill checks like moving a stone or something is done by the strongest character, or locks are picked with the character with the best mechanics.

Tenck

I'm restarting a failed playthrough and yeah, I love this game still. My first time I had to stop cause I went in underleveled and without my sixth character. So I attempted to kill
raederic
(tagging it just to be really safe cause I see someone starting a new playthrough on this very page), and I didn't want to side with him at first.

Now I just beat him but I kind of feel like I fucked the town over cause
Kolsc eagerly looks at the throne
. I've played 10 hours today but I don't want to stop ;__;

Top Bottom