• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

this game keeps crashing for me

after selecting the difficulty option and hitting "New Game", the game goes to "Presented by Obsidian blah blah blah" and then crashes as soon as the first loading screen hits.

Anyone know how to fix it? I'm running a clean install of windows 10 on a Nvidia 930m, i7, 8gb of RAM. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

this game keeps crashing for me

after selecting the difficulty option and hitting "New Game", the game goes to "Presented by Obsidian blah blah blah" and then crashes as soon as the first loading screen hits.

Anyone know how to fix it? I'm running a clean install of windows 10 on a Nvidia 930m, i7, 8gb of RAM. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Haven't played it recently or experienced such CTDs myself, but here's some possible solutions:

Option 1: (Steam or GOG Galaxy versions)
  • Right click the game in client: Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. (similar procedure for GOG Galaxy).
  • Then make sure the required files installed properly (they're in in PoE's redist folder for Steam versions) because occasionally, for whatever reason, they don't do it automatically.
  • Lastly, make sure PoE's settings .ini file has a proper resolution set (or just rename it, the game should generate a new one). Unfortunately I don't have the directory for it on hand. Note that you'll lose all settings if you do this.

Option 2: Next step would probably be to look into your hardware. Mostly suggesting this because I had terrible performance at release, and I met the recommended requirements. Any time a particle was on screen my framerate dipped considerably.
  • Update GPU drivers (I'm assuming you can do this on -m hardware. I'm largely unfamiliar with lapstop stuff.) Grabbing it directly from Nvidia is generally recommended over your OEM's drivers.
  • Double check the game's requirements vs. your own. By this I mean, I think your GPU meets the minimum reqs, but I couldn't actually find specs for it so you never know.

Step after that would be to look up any error messages, if any, and either google it or contact Obsidian directly for support. Preliminary google suggested some kind of corrupted font problem, but I really have no idea.

Hope this points you in the right direction!

Haven't played it recently or experienced such CTDs myself, but here's some possible solutions:

Option 1: (Steam or GOG Galaxy versions)
  • Right click the game in client: Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. (similar procedure for GOG Galaxy).
  • Then make sure the required files installed properly (they're in in PoE's redist folder for Steam versions) because occasionally, for whatever reason, they don't do it automatically.
  • Lastly, make sure PoE's settings .ini file has a proper resolution set (or just rename it, the game should generate a new one). Unfortunately I don't have the directory for it on hand. Note that you'll lose all settings if you do this.

Option 2: Next step would probably be to look into your hardware. Mostly suggesting this because I had terrible performance at release, and I met the recommended requirements. Any time a particle was on screen my framerate dipped considerably.
  • Update GPU drivers (I'm assuming you can do this on -m hardware. I'm largely unfamiliar with lapstop stuff.) Grabbing it directly from Nvidia is generally recommended over your OEM's drivers.
  • Double check the game's requirements vs. your own. By this I mean, I think your GPU meets the minimum reqs, but I couldn't actually find specs for it so you never know.

Step after that would be to look up any error messages, if any, and either google it or contact Obsidian directly for support. Preliminary google suggested some kind of corrupted font problem, but I really have no idea.

Hope this points you in the right direction!

Thanks, I tried verifying the integrity of the game cache to no avail. I can run xcom 2 and divinity original sin so I SHOULD be able to run this in 1080p let alone 720 or 900

I'll try the other options though

how do I see the error log?

edit: I'm dumb, how can I make sure it installed correctly?

Thanks, I tried verifying the integrity of the game cache to no avail. I can run xcom 2 and divinity original sin so I SHOULD be able to run this in 1080p let alone 720 or 900

I'll try the other options though

how do I see the error log?

edit: I'm dumb, how can I make sure it installed correctly?
Ah yeah, you should be fine in PoE if you can run those other titles.

One correction from before, though: I overlooked that you were launching PoE OK and crashing when entering a new game. Because the game won't run at all without redists installed, I'm thinking those are not an issue.

Now for your questions:
  • Verifying the game cache will make sure all the files are in the correct place, so now you know the game files are all OK.
  • For error logs, I think they're in the main directory (right click the game in Steam > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files). Should be a dated file in there somewhere; and FYI I won't be able to make heads or tails of it, it's really meant for Obsidian themselves to troubleshoot issues. If you don't see any logs in that area, the game might not be writing them for whatever reason which is bad and will make resolving the problem a lot trickier.

If your GPU drivers and Windows install is up to date and it's still crashing, your best bet is to contact Obsidian support directly.

Ah yeah, you should be fine in PoE if you can run those other titles.

One correction from before, though: I overlooked that you were launching PoE OK and crashing when entering a new game. Because the game won't run at all without redists installed, I'm thinking those are not an issue.

Now for your questions:
  • Verifying the game cache will make sure all the files are in the correct place, so now you know the game files are all OK.
  • For error logs, I think they're in the main directory (right click the game in Steam > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files). Should be a dated file in there somewhere; and FYI I won't be able to make heads or tails of it, it's really meant for Obsidian themselves to troubleshoot issues. If you don't see any logs in that area, the game might not be writing them for whatever reason which is bad and will make resolving the problem a lot trickier.

If your GPU drivers and Windows install is up to date and it's still crashing, your best bet is to contact Obsidian support directly.

Is there a more direct way that I'm missing besides posting on the official forums?

Ah I found it, it was through Paradox Interactive

and just in case anyone can make heads or tails of the output log here, here ya go

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxfcWpYAKPzaN0xjd24wX0NOMGc/view?usp=sharing

Eusis

For those still waiting on the novella, apparently the current plan is to release it alongside the 3.03 patch according to Skiing.
Good to know since technically it was promised to us and even a separate add-on. Curious as to whether it was heavily edited or not though. Hell, maybe just plain old time healed up wounds enough (assuming they were there, likely given how... odd this all was.)

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
quick question for you poe players

I bought the game when it first released, but never finished it. I've been thinking about going back, restarting, and actually finishing it but I saw they released 2 expansions that apparently improve the base game significantly?

So my question is: should I put my full playthrough on hold until I purchase those expansions or am I not missing anything, any feature or expanded system (with regards to the main game), if I just beat the OG main game and then came back for the expansions at a later date?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
quick question for you poe players

I bought the game when it first released, but never finished it. I've been thinking about going back, restarting, and actually finishing it but I saw they released 2 expansions that apparently improve the base game significantly?

So my question is: should I put my full playthrough on hold until I purchase those expansions or am I not missing anything, any feature or expanded system (with regards to the main game), if I just beat the OG main game and then came back for the expansions at a later date?

The changes to the gameplay systems were all patched into the base game, so you aren't missing anything there. However the expansions slot right into the main game and aren't post game content.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The changes to the gameplay systems were all patched into the base game, so you aren't missing anything there. However the expansions slot right into the main game and aren't post game content.

Thanks man! Think I'll just wait till I'm ready to buy those expansions to start a new game from beginning to end.

Contacted Obsidian support directly days ago and posted on the forums and still don't have a fix for the crashing... I really don't want to have to refund this.

StonedRider

I played this beautiful game for about 80 hours and suddenly today Brighthollow map (second floor) does not load anymore. When I try to go upstairs to rest the game exits to main menu with "There was an error loading the next map. Returned to Main Menu to prevent save game corruption." message.

Deleting and redownloading the game did not help. I think the last patch have broken something. Does anybody have the same issue?

Stevey

I played this beautiful game for about 80 hours and suddenly today Brighthollow map (second floor) does not load anymore. When I try to go upstairs to rest the game exits to main menu with "There was an error loading the next map. Returned to Main Menu to prevent save game corruption." message.

Deleting and redownloading the game did not help. I think the last patch have broken something. Does anybody have the same issue?

Just loaded it up.

11936F59084A40F480C70E36F8E204161C37E443

Works fine for me :/
Although it could be any number of things.
I've not upgraded the downstairs for example.

StonedRider

Just loaded it up.

Works fine for me :/
Although it could be any number of things.
I've not upgraded the downstairs for example.

Thanks for reply!
I've upgraded everything. Actually it is not game breaking bug, but very inconvenient one. I'll submit bugreport to Obsidian tomorrow.

Sinatar

This happened to me on my vanilla playthrough, but it was fixed when I returned to playthrough White March 1 & 2.

StonedRider

This happened to me on my vanilla playthrough, but it was fixed when I returned to playthrough White March 1 & 2.

Looks like I need to buy White March DLCs :)
I planned to do it anyway, this is just another reason.

Was it fixed for you after you started new playthrough or when you continued your vanilla playthrough after White March installation?

This is the game I've been waiting for! The combination of complexity and simplicity is perfect, not a slog like 90's early 2000's CRPGs, and yet a very scalable system. Loving every minute. Currently at the Goose and Fox.

hah, Bish has a war hammer

Stevey

I've been playing this for 92 hours and every time I wanted to rest at Caed Nua, I'd walk to Brighthollow, go upstairs, click the bed and rest.

Turns out you can just hit the camp button on the HUD no matter where you on the Caed Nua map.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm only just at gilded vale. still need to go back and deal with the bear and those guys in the previous area. i have a hook to climb the ruin so will do that. i'm not sure if this game is for me but i am enjoyin it so far. when should i consider buying the DLC and do i need to get it before a certain point in the story?

Labadal

I've been playing this for 92 hours and every time I wanted to rest at Caed Nua, I'd walk to Brighthollow, go upstairs, click the bed and rest.

Turns out you can just hit the camp button on the HUD no matter where you on the Caed Nua map.
This was me for the first 40 hours.

Stevey

i'm only just at gilded vale. still need to go back and deal with the bear and those guys in the previous area. i have a hook to climb the ruin so will do that. i'm not sure if this game is for me but i am enjoyin it so far. when should i consider buying the DLC and do i need to get it before a certain point in the story?

The DLC integrates into the story pretty seamlessly, it doesn't matter when you buy it.
I'm playing through it now, it's not essential IMO, but if you like the base game, it's definitely worth getting.
It's like a seperate story.

Anno

I'd say if you get to the end of Chapter 2 and still enjoy it then look for the DLC if you want to do it all in one playthrough. That's a decent starting point and you should know by then if you want another 30ish hours of the game.

Dineren

Banned
Not sure if it was announced anywhere, but the Novella (pdf/ebook and audiobook) by Chris Avellone is now in the game's directory (at least the Steam version) and on the backer portal.

I know Chris left, but it is really odd to release it with no notice, unless I'm missing an announcement.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I keep trying to get into any part of this game and I keep utterly and completely failing to wrap my head around real time with pause combat. Without discrete turns it seems impossible to comprehend what enemy is doing what and when, I look down for one second to click on a spell and one of the enemies engaged with Durance has just carved off his health with one hit but I can't tell since I missed it. I finally engaged "pause when target dies" when I figured out part of my problem was that, after killing the enemy they were engaged with, the AI would just stand there until I manually directed them to a different target, but I still don't get how this is fun

Its all happening too asynchronously and there's not enough information visible.

The Technomancer

Like, specifically what happens is I'm at the keep trying to clear out spirits from the grounds and all they do is gang up on my main character and attack him over and over until he's unconcious. And there is no goddamn feedback for what I'm doing wrong.

I'll fully admit that Durance is garbo, but isn't there some AI settings to make party members engage with/avoid enemies automatically? I recall having the same difficulties with party members idling as you until I changed something like that.

And yeah, autopauses are a big help. Pause on enemy sighted, pause on trap detection, and pause on target death are all mandatory either way, imo.

For melee combat, one of the smartest things PoE did compared to the Infinity Engine titles was "lock in" melee combatants, to prevent enemies from going straight for squishy mages all the time while also making attacks of opportunity something that matter (with the whole zone of control thing catching passersby).

Mulgrok

I keep trying to get into any part of this game and I keep utterly and completely failing to wrap my head around real time with pause combat. Without discrete turns it seems impossible to comprehend what enemy is doing what and when, I look down for one second to click on a spell and one of the enemies engaged with Durance has just carved off his health with one hit but I can't tell since I missed it. I finally engaged "pause when target dies" when I figured out part of my problem was that, after killing the enemy they were engaged with, the AI would just stand there until I manually directed them to a different target, but I still don't get how this is fun

Its all happening too asynchronously and there's not enough information visible.

What i did with the old RTWP games was set to pause when a spell or action was completed, on enemy sighted, when a character was low hp, and when an enemy died. The pause on spell completion helps a ton if you are trying to manage multiple casters that have different cast times and/or need to change targets.

The Technomancer

I'll fully admit that Durance is garbo, but isn't there some AI settings to make party members engage with/avoid enemies automatically? I recall having the same difficulties with party members idling as you until I changed something like that.

And yeah, autopauses are a big help. Pause on enemy sighted, pause on trap detection, and pause on target death are all mandatory either way, imo.

For melee combat, one of the smartest things PoE did compared to the Infinity Engine titles was "lock in" melee combatants, to prevent enemies from going straight for squishy mages all the time while also making attacks of opportunity something that matter (with the whole zone of control thing catching passersby).

I can't seem to find AI settings. I can toggle AI on and off, but neither in gameplay settings or character settings do their seem to be options for their actual behavior

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I beat Divinity: OS and the game is 60% off on GoG, so the stars have finally aligned for me to jump in here.

I have 2 questions for the community though:
1) I heard a few months back about a GotY edition. Is that still happening? Are they planning on releasing more DLC after the current 2 parts?

2) Should I buy the DLC before starting the game or is it something I can do after beating the main story?

Sinatar

I have 2 questions for the community though:
1) I heard a few months back about a GotY edition. Is that still happening? Are they planning on releasing more DLC after the current 2 parts?

The game is done, no more content is coming.

2) Should I buy the DLC before starting the game or is it something I can do after beating the main story?

The DLC incorporates itself into the game and is balanced to be started around the mid way point of the game.

Just started. I'm still pretty early on and trying to understand the mechanics. I have the wizard and I've hired 2 more, a paladin and a priest. I like the game so far, still getting used to combat though, excited where it's going to go. Did all the quests in the first town (with the hanged tree) except what appears maybe killing the Lord.

Any advice?

Loving this game. It's my first foray into D&D type games. Aside from Fallout, KOTOR and...dragon age. Only fallout is anything like this and only in terms of tactics. Playing on easy and I'm not ashamed. Currently beat Act 1 with ease. Act 2 is already starting off a bit harder. I can no longer just steamroll everything and win. If I run into things blindly I'm wrecked.

Loving this game. It's my first foray into D&D type games. Aside from Fallout, KOTOR and...dragon age. Only fallout is anything like this and only in terms of tactics. Playing on easy and I'm not ashamed. Currently beat Act 1 with ease. Act 2 is already starting off a bit harder. I can no longer just steamroll everything and win. If I run into things blindly I'm wrecked.

Where does act 1 end, I'm curious?

Branson

Once I finally get to this game I'll play on easy probably. I don't have a lot of experience with this specific type of RPG so I just want to get used to it and enjoy the obsidian crafted story.

I did play on normal and did ok. But I didn't get very far.

Menome

The upcoming release of Tyranny has spurred me to try and finish this game off after losing track a bit.

Do I remember right that one of the patches changed how hidden items were detected, or am I still going to be scurrying about areas in Quick Mode?

Top Bottom