• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Grieving Mother is a cool character and she's also great in combat whereas Aloth is an annoying whinny brat, just saying :p

Of the companions I've had around for a long time, Aloth is definitely the one that I just kinda don't give a shit about. He hasn't given me any real information about himself and doesn't have nearly the same "Ooh, what's up with this person?"-appeal that characters like GM have.

studyguy

It really bugs me that I can only plop down 1 trap.
I had some grand vision of leading enemies through a myriad of traps once only to have it blown away when the other one disappeared. Fucking boo.

My rouge always has one though, plops one down on the path to the party. Engage with a ranged to sneak attack. Run away, etc etc. Only problem is they're mostly arrows or darts. The noxious gas or fireball ones are better but hard to come by.

Just hit level 9, realized I haven't been back to the endless paths since I got halfway through the second level and got blown up by a trap. I think the first few levels will be a bit too easy...

Side note: how do I get into the lighthouse? It says I need a key but I've done pretty much everything in Defiance bay?

Of the companions I've had around for a long time, Aloth is definitely the one that I just kinda don't give a shit about. He hasn't given me any real information about himself and doesn't have nearly the same "Ooh, what's up with this person?"-appeal that characters like GM have.

Keep him around, he does get interesting... and amusing.

Just hit level 9, realized I haven't been back to the endless paths since I got halfway through the second level and got blown up by a trap. I think the first few levels will be a bit too easy...

Side note: how do I get into the lighthouse? It says I need a key but I've done pretty much everything in Defiance bay?

On the Lighthouse
There should be somewhere nearby that will give you the key and a quest, if I recall correctly.

garath

About the lighthouse:
you talk to a gal in the gift that is investing in property and needs it cleaned out. She gives you the key. If I recall, she's on the docks

Tovarisc

I am having trouble with combat, I run out of endurance with at least one party member every fight.

I am early right now in the first town and i have 3 party members level 3.

I am in the ruins of the old temple with ghosts and although I can survive most battles I have to "camp" or return to the inn after every 2 or 3 fights

I feel like I am doing something wrong.

Depending on your difficulty setting you may be tad too low level for that content. I play on Hard and went there at level 4 with party of 3 and it was tricky with one impossible room to clear. Had to come back later with nuclear option and higher level.

Violet_0

Banned

you get some info on his "condition" when you do his quest in Defiance Bay but - it's pretty silly, really. Actually, the only not-so-likeable companion in the entire game

Depending on your difficulty setting you may be tad too low level for that content. I play on Hard and went there at level 4 with party of 3 and it was tricky with one impossible room to clear. Had to come back later with nuclear option and higher level.

I am on normal but yea maybe I will do some other things and return.

studyguy

Also level... 5? I think. I stopped at the 6th floor of Endless. I walked in and saw like two enemies scouting and was like oh okay
Skeletons? Easy.
. Shot one and by the end of it I had some 10 dudes on me. Noped the fuck out of there.

KingKong

Yeah but at least his spells are fun, I'm finding the hunter to be completely boring and it seems like the pet always dies really quickly

Tovarisc

you get some info on his "condition" when you do his quest in Defiance Bay but - it's pretty silly, really. Actually, the only not-so-likeable companion in the entire game

His "condition" is kinda funny tho when
pretty much every companion likes his alternate personality, previous life, better than his current [Aloth] one

Annubis

A rogue dual wielding battle axes has insane damage o_O

Battle Axe + 0.5 Critical damage multiplier
Bloody Slaughter + 0.5 Critical damage multiplier
Annihilation + 0.5 Critical damage multiplier

Yeah, I definitely agree they need to change this a bit. It's fine as it is for dungeon areas/caves, etc, but it should about twice the size for outdoor areas, maybe with a line of sight component, so you can't see critters behind objects, until you circle around.

Well it seems like the game already has line-of-sight. The "fog" moves around trees and other objects. I just wish the default sight radius was bigger.

If I disable fog in console, does that mean I can see monsters on the other side of the map? Not sure I want that either....

I do find myself needlessly agonizing over every choice when leveling. Re-reading talents and abilities ad nauseum and eventually just picking the one that seems most obviously beneficial and then seeing almost zero immediate effects of my choice.

Which, in the end, is better really. I'd rather see a gradual differential progression than a single mind-blowing talent that makes all the encounters in X area trivial.

I took the talent to buff the Paladin fire attack skill, thinking, yeah I wanna make my one damage attack do more. Then I realize it's an entire talent to add like, what, another couple hit points of damage to 2 attacks per combat? Feels like such a waste in retrospect.

iammeiam

Does anyone know if his story contribution is basically done after that questline? I want to rotate in a different companion, but his whole thing does seem kind of story-relevant so I'm wondering if I'll miss anything other than a little random dialogue by sending him back to the keep.

garath

So any opinions on best upgrade path for the keep? I've been pretty willy nilly about it. Really no events have happened at my keep except for one repelled bandit attack, and a criminal hanging out for 6 days (I paid him off to leave for some reason. Might have been a waste).

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway to implicate The Vul
ture
? Because I am currently finding it very very restricted not to be able to interact any further after peering into a person's soul.

Some sort of related interaction would really be great on top of the peering ability.

Edit: Attacking him only resulted in the entire
inn
turning hostile against my party (and reverted back to previous save state).

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
ture
? Because I am currently finding it very very restricted not to be able to interact any further after peering into a person's soul.

Some sort of related interaction would really be great on top of the peering ability.

It's a backer NPC. So no, alas.

studyguy

I didn't realize the people you could interact with and see into their souls were backer NPCs for a couple days lol. I was like, when do I actually do anything with these people?

Annubis

ture

Edit: Attacking him only resulted in the entire
inn
turning hostile against my party (and reverted back to previous save state).

Unless someone finds a way to murder without reaction, I guess not.

Jhriad

Thinking further on something I said before - I do think that some of the classes should have a better balance of per encounter and more powerful per rest abilities.

The fighter, at least from wha tI can see, at level 5 has only per encouter abilities, making him feel spammy, and even a bit overpowered at times. While the wizard is entirely based aorund per rest spells (at least until higher levels).

I think a better balance for some of the classes would have been good. Maybe start the wizard with a "cantrip" spell selection for per encouter and mvoe some of the fighter abilities to per rest?

What do you guys think? You like the balance as is?

I'd agree with you. Wizard becomes a poor ranged attack with legs because you have to conserve rested spells for meaningful encounters. Rogue has little interaction after initial positioning. Chanter stands around for most of the encounter auto attacking while you wait to actually use an ability. Haven't had any experience with Paladin, Barbarian, or Monk and little with the Ranger but I expect Paladin to be another auto-attack, nil interaction class and I wouldn't be surprised if Monk and/or Ranger were as well.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
My favourite part of the backer npcs is seeing the same stories over and over again. Except gardening guy, gardening guy was cool, full marks to you.

Probably the biggest problem with the stat system is despite the whole 'play how you want' thing for combat you still kinda end up pigeonholed- tanks want perception/resolve/might, damage classes want might/int/dex, and support just goes full int/dex. Constitution doesn't scale very hard, and most enemy AIs like going after low deflection targets which makes melee a lot more dicier a proposition than just going gun/arbalest (or bows if you really want the interrupt?).

Current party set up:

Main PC - Wizard for AOE debuffs / damage
Eder - Tank
Kana - Off tank / buffs
Durance - Buffs / ranged
Grieving Mother - AOE debuffs / damage

For my last slot should I go with Sagani or Hiravias? I have been going with Sagani for pure ranged single target DPS.

I'd agree with you. Wizard becomes a poor ranged attack with legs because you have to conserve rested spells for meaningful encounters. Rogue has little interaction after initial positioning. Chanter stands around for most of the encounter auto attacking while you wait to actually use an ability. Haven't had any experience with Paladin, Barbarian, or Monk and little with the Ranger but I expect Paladin to be another auto-attack, nil interaction class and I wouldn't be surprised if Monk and/or Ranger were as well.

Ranger is pretty much auto-attack since their activated abilities kind of suck. Master's Call is somewhat fun, but you don't get that until much later. From what I played of the Monk, there's more player interaction there.

Some textless Steam grids for you all to use and enjoy

ijwbU7CbxM4w9.png
i7Kn9BX7ja90w.png
igSb9Rn84asas.png

I figured out Aloth's
condition the moment I met him, and I've been kinda annoyed that no one else in the gameworld even seems to really notice. He's a weirdly underdeveloped character so far (I'm a few hours into Act II).

Rogue has little interaction after initial positioning.
Wait, what? My PC rogue is the most mobile character in my party. I probably take more care over her movement and attack timing than almost anyone else.

Durante

You didn't offend me, video game difficulty settings don't interact with my ego. It's more of an issue with your attitude whenever someone points out a negative.
That's a wrong accusation. I get pissed off whenever someone points out mechanics I love as "issues". Why? Because that type of thinking is why we didn't get a game like this for a decade in the first place. I'd much rather be aggressive about that and piss a few people off than live through that again.

Just curious - is there a single thing about PoE you don't like or think was implemented poorly?
Tons of things. I keep a list for my eventual review of the game. One example would be the general lack of reactivity to racial and societal character background choices. Another, mechanical one is a lack of complexity in character building for some classes, especially compared to e.g. NWN2 (metamagic feats!). Oh, and I've complained about the conflation of different physical and mental attributes into "might" since long before the game was released, and it still annoys me. There's a quite a bit more where this came from -- even though PoE is probably the best CRPG in years.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I figured out Aloth's
condition the moment I met him, and I've been kinda annoyed that no one else in the gameworld even seems to really notice. He's a weirdly underdeveloped character so far (I'm a few hours into Act II).

After the first main quest bit in that act
the other party members start reacting, at least.

Annubis

most enemy AIs like going after low deflection targets

I haven't had much trouble with that. My tank with +3 engagements (stance + talent) paired with my ranger's pet to stop anything the tank missed has kept my back line completely healthy.
If it wasn't for AoE spells, I'd even consider putting them all at 3 constitution.

EDIT: or the druid lightning call spell. That one you just can't do much against...

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't had much trouble with that. My tank with +3 engagements (stance + talent) paired with my ranger's pet to stop anything the tank missed has kept my back line completely healthy.
If it wasn't for AoE spells, I'd even consider putting them all at 3 constitution.

Oh the back line is fine! It's just it seems if there's anything else in range (such as someone trying to use a melee weapon who isn't a fighter or paladin) that enemy will immediately turn to them.

It's not unworkable or anything- even rogues can usually survive fine if there's only one dude on them- but I can't help the feeling when I'm doing it it'd be better to just give them a gun and have them in the back ranks as well.

I am having trouble with combat, I run out of endurance with at least one party member every fight.

I am early right now in the first town and i have 3 party members level 3.

I am in the ruins of the old temple with ghosts and although I can survive most battles I have to "camp" or return to the inn after every 2 or 3 fights

I feel like I am doing something wrong.

Return a bit later. Treat that area as the graveyard in Dark Souls at Firelink Shrine, you encounter it pretty early and you think it may be easy but turns out not. It also has some nice rewards in it if you can manage but is not intended to be done around level 3.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Any character with good lore inherently becomes more interactive due to scrolls, at least. Chanters are good for that, since they are supposed to be the lore-heaviest class anyway. Other than that though, I don't really mind having like half of my party be relatively low maintenance. I'm always doing stuff with priest and cipher, I stay pretty active with aloth as well, and if I replace him with the druid I imagine I will be just as much.

garath

Oh the back line is fine! It's just it seems if there's anything else in range (such as someone trying to use a melee weapon who isn't a fighter or paladin) that enemy will immediately turn to them.

It's not unworkable or anything- even rogues can usually survive fine if there's only one dude on them- but I can't help the feeling when I'm doing it it'd be better to just give them a gun and have them in the back ranks as well.

I understand what you're saying. I've had to give my rogue escape and invis abilities to keep him safe from pulling aggro. It's a bit frustrating for a melee rogue. However, I believe the tradeoff is I'm doing a LOT more damage than I would from the backline with a bow or something.

Rad-

Current party set up:

Main PC - Wizard for AOE debuffs / damage
Eder - Tank
Kana - Off tank / buffs
Durance - Buffs / ranged
Grieving Mother - AOE debuffs / damage

For my last slot should I go with Sagani or Hiravias? I have been going with Sagani for pure ranged single target DPS.

Hiravias is a druid and druids have some of the best spells in the game. Plus the dude has some funny lines.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I understand what you're saying. I've had to give my rogue escape and invis abilities to keep him safe from pulling aggro. It's a bit frustrating for a melee rogue. However, I believe the tradeoff is I'm doing a LOT more damage than I would from the backline with a bow or something.

Yeah, maybe the damage increase is worth it and I haven't been toying around with it enough. Guns (specifically the blunderbuss) and arbalests still seem a little too good at the moment, but that's probably just Kana doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Violet_0

Banned
I find it a bit concerning that my barbarian is starting to out-tank my paladin (both with two-hand weapon in this pic). Granted, I just got a light armor +4, but still
h5xM4xj.jpg

studyguy

My melee rouge engages with a sneak attack gunshot, pulls back to the tank. I shoot a slicken off so everyone trips then run him around the group engaged. Prison shank them in the back while Eder tanks from the front. There's a ton more you can do to ensure they don't turn around. There's also a sort of provoke/taunt skill that forces enemies to face eder, two uses per engagement. All in all my rouge does assloads of damage when it engages melee. Way, way more than its ranged. If both stiletto procs go off, the enemies essentially go down immediately.

Annubis

Yeah, that's my feeling right now.
There's a tiny voice in my head that's telling me that a whole party of guns + a tank is probably the best party.

Fighter tank
Priest w/ Gun (buffs + healing tank if needed)
Chanter w/ Gun (lvl 2 gun chant)
Paladin w/ Gun (zealous focus aura + critical focus)
Ranger x2 w/ Guns

SaberVulcan

I find it a bit concerning that my barbarian is starting to out-tank my paladin (both with two-hand weapon in this pic). Granted, I just got a light armor +4, but still
h5xM4xj.jpg

What're your Barbarian's specs? I must've put too much in Con, at level 8 I have almost 200 endurance.

kd-z

I think I'm crazy. After 15 hours spent with my Fire Godlike Barbarian dude I just restarted as a Human Cipher lady.

15 hours! :|

Burt

+3 movement speed boots is actually like too much. It feels ridiculous, like Boots of Blinding speed in Morrowind.

Tovarisc

h5xM4xj.jpg

Here is my three melee characters from my level 9 party. Fighter/Tank, Paladin/2h_weapons and Rogue/Duel_Wield with first two using similar-ish heavy armors and rogue in medium armor.

Eder is insanely tanky and laughs at almost anything I have put him against. I have been stacking some serious defence passives on him tho.

Pallegine is squishier, but can still off-tank with her stats. My main, rogue, is just cannon fodder if I try tank anything with her.

I would argue based on that DR matters some, but what matters most for tanking is defences stats. Just compare those between my characters alone, difference is noticeable.

Jhriad

Wait, what? My PC rogue is the most mobile character in my party. I probably take more care over her movement and attack timing than almost anyone else.

I'm guessing you're playing a melee Rogue? Ranged Rogue is bascially: Ensure enemy is flanked, proceed to shoot till dead. Obviously you blind to get the damage multiplier and nullify a threat temporarily but few encounters last long enough for it to be necessary to move your rogue a great deal. If you're backstabbing/melee that's more micromanagement but it's still just a simple movement and not really much thought involved.

Top Bottom