• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PiperJaffray says this may be the last console generation

Effect

I don't really understand the whole DS/PSP vs iPhone and the like gaming comparison. Until phones can offer the same games as gaming hand helds in order to pull people from the hand helds they won't ever be in direct competition. It's not like the hand held market is going to lose customers to the phones. Just that phones might gain customers that weren't playing hand helds at all.

I can't see it happening any time soon. I just read in this months EDGE that the UKs video game sales in 2009 were broken down as follows;

94% High Street
5% Online
1% Download

How do these analysts figure that such a drastic change in peoples videogame purchasing habits will happen so soon, wheres the evidence?

There will be a next set of consoles but i expect DD to play a even bigger part .
Next gen you should be able to buy let say the next FF on DD or disc same day .
I think we have 2 more gen of consoles depending on how long they last .

Wthermans

Banned
Safe Bet said:
I use to think the same way, but Apple and Steam have proven DD is the future.

IE

Steam storing my library and game saves for me?

Yes please...
Once the console Marketplace has sales like Steam, it will be all over. Their prices are still too high for most of their products.

Also, once ISPs start reducing bandwidth caps or charging more for game-specific bandwidth, the DD side of the game-industry is going to have to rethink their plans for the future.

SegataSanshiro says PiperJaffray has silly name, likely to go out of business soon, smell faintly of cabbage, touch little boys in their bathing suit areas

Effect

I don't think the industry can afford another console generation so soon. At least if it's going to be another graphical upgrade. Don't know how many companies can even afford it to do that when so many are struggling now. Budgets are going to go even higher due to the need by some to take advantage of the hardware. One game and you're done if it isn't a massive success. Now if the next systems stay the same in terms of graphics but focused on other aspects like digital delivery, online, community, etc then perhaps things might be okay. There might be more middleware out there to take advantage of and that should lower development cost right?

Vinci

Danish
The Take Out Bandit said:
Sub-PS2 level visuals with bundled 3D goggles = generational leap? :lol

This, ladies and gents, is proof positive that this industry is going straight to hell.

Hobbun

Ikkarus said:
I want my materialistic collector's editions. Not this fancy pants digital stuff.

*high fives*

Well, if this will happen, and I think it eventually will (just not as soon as this guy says so), then I guess it will finally give me that time to catch up and finish off my backlog of games and then start reading more again.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
The problem with DD for game consoles is data size. Sure hard drives get more capacity, but the amount of data created by companies like ID software gets larger at the same time.

yeah he's probably right about 2013...but "if ever?" Absolutely not.

Permanent decline of physical game sales, perhaps, but overall game sales? Just look at record breaking GTA IV and MW2...

Gravijah

They would need to be some charming motherf*cking polygons, ten times more charming than those polygons in Wind Waker.

what if it's sprite based? think of the sprites the 3DS could pump out.

Gravijah said:
what if it's sprite based? think of the sprites the 3DS could pump out.

The problem here is I have zero interest in 3D.

I'd be content with a sprite based game. :\

3D is a useless gimmick WRT sprite based games as there's still a lot of room for expansion in sprite based games with increased resolution and frames of animation alone. If they did that and slapped 3D gimmicks on it, it wouldn't make me appreciate the game any more or less.

Oh and also still the busted two screen model. I can only ever be looking at one image, and the bullsh*t they pulled this generation with some games "PRETEND IT'S ONE BIG SCREEN, IGNORE THE PLASTIC IN THE MIDDLE" sucks.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A predictable report. Anyone with half a brain could see the eventual move to digital distribution and the surge of handhelds. Consoles will become nothing more than glorified media boxes... something that my laptop achieves with nothing more than a HDMI cable connected to the TV.

Gravijah

The problem here is I have zero interest in 3D.

I'd be content with a sprite based game. :\

3D is a useless gimmick WRT sprite based games as there's still a lot of room for expansion in sprite based games with increased resolution and frames of animation alone. If they did that and slapped 3D gimmicks on it, it wouldn't make me appreciate the game any more or less.

Oh and also still the busted two screen model. I can only ever be looking at one image, and the bullsh*t they pulled this generation with some games "PRETEND IT'S ONE BIG SCREEN, IGNORE THE PLASTIC IN THE MIDDLE" sucks.

To be honest I don't give a shit about 3D, it's mostly just there for me. It'll be cool to see randomly, but I'll usually have that stuff turned off...

Brimstone said:
The problem with DD for game consoles is data size. Sure hard drives get more capacity, but the amount of data created by companies like ID software gets larger at the same time.

Yes but so do transfer rates. 100mb/s internet anyone?

RSTEIN said:
PiperJaffray just took a hatchet to, well, the entire video game industry after GameStop's recent quarterly results. Someone clearly woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I don't think I can copy the report but I will quote some key stuff:

On GameStop:

On the Industry:

On console cycles:

Link to the original source?

mollipen

Why not actually wait until you try it to decide it's just a useless gimmick? I'm very down on the whole "OMG 3D is the future!!" thing, because most of the time it does feel like a gimmick to me. With the 3DS, the fact that no glasses are required (combined with the quality of the 3D) is a huge deal... really, it is... and that for me allowed it to start to move past being a gimmick and into an actual interesting new feature. If that feeling holds up over time or not, I'll have to see, but I'm very interested in the idea where as I've got absolutely no interest in owning a 3D television at any point in the future.

But really, I'd argue that was the exception, not the rule. Most games didn't do that. And either way, with the 3DS and its screens no longer having matching sizes and resolution, I expect to see that far, far less. How awkward would it be for somebody to try to use both screens as one big screen when one is widescreen and one isn't? Very, and I'm sure most developers are smart enough to realize that.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
shidoshi said:
But really, I'd argue that was the exception, not the rule. Most games didn't do that. And either way, with the 3DS and its screens no longer having matching sizes and resolution, I expect to see that far, far less. How awkward would it be for somebody to try to use both screens as one big screen when one is widescreen and one isn't? Very, and I'm sure most developers are smart enough to realize that.

Not to mention one is 3d and one isn't.

We're going to end up seeing a lot less use out of the bottom screen I think.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Deus Ex Machina said:
Link to the original source?

Well, I'm an analyst too so I get these reports through a service that aggregates all analyst reports on all companies. It requires a password. I would like to just post the actual report but I don't think I can for copyright reasons and stuff.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Segata Sanshiro said:
TToB, unlike AstroLad and Anihawk, is not a joke character. It's really how he is!

Well then, he's not signing anything for me, that's for sure.

Vinci

Danish
Gravijah said:
To be honest I don't give a shit about 3D, it's mostly just there for me. It'll be cool to see randomly, but I'll usually have that stuff turned off...

My interest in the 3DS comes from this: Third parties need another PS2. Badly. The 3DS has a very strong shot at being that for them, so long as they build its market alongside Nintendo. Lots of money could and should be made. That's what I care about. I'm tired of people losing their jobs.

I've never given a shit about 3D, so whether that will end up being a cool thing for me or not, I don't know. But for now, I couldn't care less.

RSTEIN said:
Well, I'm an analyst too so I get these reports through a service that aggregates all analyst reports on all companies. It requires a password. I would like to just post the actual report but I don't think I can for copyright reasons and stuff.
ahh, I see.

Gravijah

Vinci said:
My interest in the 3DS comes from this: Third parties need another PS2. Badly. The 3DS has a very strong shot at being that for them, so long as they build its market alongside Nintendo. Lots of money could and should be made. That's what I care about. I'm tired of people losing their jobs.

I've never given a shit about 3D, so whether that will end up being a cool thing for me or not, I don't know. But for now, I couldn't care less.

My interest in the 3DS comes from one thing: Games. Lots of games that I want.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Vinci said:

Gotta admit though, if done right, 3D feels somewhat fresher than a mere upgrade in graphics technology. I don't care much about better graphics any more (GC/Wii-level is enough as long as the game is well crafted), but 3D has this little 'oomph' to it that makes it a bit more appealing than better graphics.

Gravijah

ToxicAdam said:
Riiight. Maybe for Japan.

Western children still care about cutting-edge graphics.

Just gonna ignore the DS sales? Still going strong, you know? Sold over 3,000,000 consoles in one NPD, once?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
more people play solitaire than any other game in the world and that one is costs as much as Windows OS does and thats a boxed product, so hah!

Top Bottom