• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PiperJaffray says this may be the last console generation

ToxicAdam said:
Riiight. Maybe for Japan.

Western children still care about cutting-edge graphics.
It would be pretty crazy if there were some kind of precedent for a technologically inferior Nintendo handheld with the letters 'D' and 'S' in its name completely fucking owning the American and European markets, eh?

Vinci

Danish
Segata Sanshiro said:
It would be pretty crazy if there were some kind of precedent for a technologically inferior Nintendo handheld with the letters 'D' and 'S' in its name completely fucking owning the American and European markets, eh?

He lives in the reality you mentioned earlier, the one over which TToB presides. It's awesome. All the shiny, none of the filler.

ToxicAdam

Gravijah said:
Just gonna ignore the DS sales? Still going strong, you know? Sold over 3,000,000 consoles in one NPD, once?

Segata Sanshiro said:

I'm sorry, I still live in a reality where the major consoles are selling as many units as they ever have before. So, great .. the DS has expanded the casual/handheld market, but it has not REPLACED consoles as we know it. That's what this thread is about, doofus.

Gravijah

ToxicAdam said:
I'm sorry, I still live in a reality where the major consoles are selling as many units as they ever have before. So, great .. the DS has expanded the casual/handheld market, but it has not REPLACED consoles as we know it. That's what this thread is about, doofus.

ToxicAdam said:
Riiight. Maybe for Japan.

Western children still care about cutting-edge graphics.

MrMephistoX

Wow, this article is a perfect example of why I intensely dislike the stock market/investor driven corporate mentality dictating business decisions and influencing outcomes.

Case in point doom almost every so called arm-chair CEOand blogger is forecasting doom and gloom for Microsoft as a whole while their console business continues to thrive. Gamestop has a worse than expected quarter (which still means they earned enough revenue to persuade a small business owner to commit murder out of envy) and suddenly the writing is on the wall.

F#$#$ the media!

Pureauthor said:
And what percentage of the populace do you think have this kind of connection?

Surely not many now, but that's like you asking "what percentage of the population has broadband?" when 56k modems were the norm. In time... in time...

SappYoda

I believe this.

The future will be all cloud based gaming. Not that I like it, but its the direction the industry is taking (like DRM).

This whole report is pretty dumb. It contradicts freely available, undisputable facts. For starters, smart phones aren't necessarily a replacement for portable consoles. This gen has been by far the most successful one for portables, and demand is still incredible. It's easy to see that smart phones could be or should be a threat, but so far it hasn't happened.

Secondly, the chances of new consoles not appearing is nil. They're most likely already in R&D.

Third, digital delivery vs. retail is also not a black-and-white choice. Both exist and complement each other well, even though they also compete for dollars. Videogames are still becoming more and more popular, and there's room for all facets of the business to grow.

The only thing he got right is that publishers will keep trying to steal our rights and "recover the profit lost to resale". And they'll keep failing, if there's any justice in the world.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
anonymousAversa said:
Yes but so do transfer rates. 100mb/s internet anyone?

Companies are slowing down the roll out of fiber-to-the-home.

Plus high-end data service like that tends to have a premium cost. So there is no real saving for the consumer when they are paying that extra fee every month.

somesang

Remember when consoles were trying to catch up to PC gaming? Remember how PC gaming has been dead for years? Well there you go.

/sarcasm

Safe Bet said:
product-based industry < service-based industry

That very much depends on the service. Let me play any game on the system at any time for a monthly fee and maybe we have a deal. But if I have to buy each game (especially with no discount), I'll take the product every time.

Besides, why can't I have both? I want to own what I buy and still get the service for free. Publishers, on the other hand, want me to buy it, not own it, and still pay for the service.

matmanx1

I find this report very interesting considering I walked into Gamestop this week and there was a whole section of new Xbox Live DLC cards on the wall. You could literally walk over and pick up the Halo 3 Mythic Map pack, any of the Borderlands add-ons, Limbo, Assassin's Creed 2 DLC, Modern Warfare 2 Map packs, etc. and pay the exact price of the DLC instead of having to buy MS points and then buy the DLC at home. The cleric was telling me you get a code on your receipt that you just enter in on the dashboard.

I'm trying to figure out how this benefits Gamestop considering they charge the same amount of money that you would pay on Live. Are they getting a small percentage of that sale? Are they collecting that money and keeping it in an account so it draws interest and if so is that enough profit to make this initiative worthwhile?

At any rate, even with the softening disc based software sales it seems that Gamestop is still making alot of money and that digital sales are ramping up faster than ever. I'm sure if they find a way to muscle into making money on digital sales they will do it.

arstal said:
Also, given Gamestop's reputation/gouging, my guess is they don't have that much goodwill- when people are able to dump Gamestop, they will.

Yes, the average american family is dying to buy $60 games that they can never sell or trade back in.

Top Bottom