• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales|SPOILER THREAD| Salazar’s Revenge

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The scene ls with young jack were infinitely more satisfying to watch than grown jack.

I liked jack in pirates 1 where you could tell he was a goof but he was actually really clever underneath all of that. He always had a plan and was ready for anything even when he was down on his luck. Jack in 2, 3, 4 and this movie just felt like he was riding a wave of things happening around him.

Honestly over all I liked the movie, it was over indulgent as hell in it set pieces, the plot was slow and unsure of itself but when the movie went all in it was a definite spectacle. A lot of fun to watch, don't think id see it again though.

Sort of torn about this movie. Overall thought it was a bit overstuffed and the elements that worked (like Barbosa-Carina) weren't given their due. Henry stuff mostly fell flat. I'm not sure why the British and bald witch were worth spending time on. Jack overstayed his welcome. Too much going on that wasn't worthwhile.

It was entertaining and better than the previous one. I'd be in for another if there was no Jack or he's barely in it, but these probably don't get made without Depp. Will, Elizabeth, Carina with the Pearl crew and I'd probably watch.

This series is to me what Star Wars is to a lot of people. I finally saw this last night (was out of the country when it actually came out) and enjoyed it. It definitely had some plot issues (where was all the power inherent in Blackbeard's sword? Barbossa should've hung Salazar's ass from the rigging from word one), and I had some trouble following the dark action scenes, but it was thoroughly entertaining throughout. By the end of the movie, I thought we had some pretty good resolutions on everyone's character arcs, even with unanswered questions (how and why did Will neglect the Dutchman duty? what is Jack's seemingly newfound purpose at the end?), and I was ready to accept that this could be the end of the series.

And then that fucking post-credits scene happened.

Davy Jones is just the coolest fucking character. I'm so ready for more now.

Spacejaws

Just watched it and well I enjoyed the action and seeing the old pirates together but it felt pretty cluttered like there were material for 2 movies thrown in the one. Think out of the two main characters they should have picked one and devoted more time to them than randomly throwing two in the mix by chance, the exposition and pace at the start feels lightning fast it almost feels like you are being clobbered with the plot than absorbing it.

Didn't think the two leads gelled well or had enough good material to make it seem natural and not sure the reason for the witch and the british contingient felt that was setting up an unessecary an advesary that is easily wiped from the movie. Scene with the sharks for example could have just been cut to jack and con paddiling to land and barely making it before salazars crew reach them rather than this drawn out shark attack that was pretty dull. Trident mythology seemed pretty lackluster too.

But that said there were lines and quips that really worked for me and some of the action was great. Gibbs and Barbossa return and Jacks performance worked for me except when he's put in unessecary scenes like the random island wedding etc. could have cut all that and had an epic shot of barbossas crew rowing into the island and marching past salazars waiting crew on the tide like a wierd relay race.

So yea felt they could have streamlined it and made it snappier. Script feels like it had few rewrites to make the story more blunt. That said I actually enjoyed 4 and struggle to finish 3 so there you go.

cheez124

saw this yesterday, it was okay. i really didn't like how jack was pure comic relief the whole way through. he wasn't nearly as competent as he was in the earlier films. i mean, the two swordfights he has in the movie both end with him losing his sword after like 5 seconds, lol.

Alienfan

Utter garbage. They dialed Jack's slapstick up to 10, he's barley a character now, the film was stuffed with conveniences that allowed them to get back almost all of the original crew and the dialogue was hockey "I'm the treasure *jumps off*" (serious why didn't he just climb down the anchor, there was zero need to sacrifice himself). Worse one in the series, made stranger tides look like a fine glass of wine.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Utter garbage. They dialed Jack's slapstick up to 10, he's barley a character now, the film was stuffed with conveniences that allowed them to get back almost all of the original crew and the dialogue was hockey "I'm the treasure *jumps off*" (serious why didn't he just climb down the anchor, there was zero need to sacrifice himself). Worse one in the series, made stranger tides look like a fine glass of wine.

Problem with Jack in this movie is he's just a drunken idiot.

Re-watch the first movie and he's the drunken master. He has a plan.

Did it bother anyone else that the British were in charge of St Martin and the citizens were a bunch of white people? If they wanted to continue the British soldier thing couldn't they have just picked a different island?

Saw it with the wife. Wouldn't the whole Trident thing with Barbosa mean that he could have broken his own curse from the first movie without issue?

Overall the movie just felt phoned-the-fuck-in. Jack is a complete idiot rather than someone who was good at his job and just put up a front to keep people off balance.

Saw it with the wife. Wouldn't the whole Trident thing with Barbosa mean that he could have broken his own curse from the first movie without issue?

Overall the movie just felt phoned-the-fuck-in. Jack is a complete idiot rather than someone who was good at his job and just put up a front to keep people off balance.

Barbossa stole it because of the ruby, he never was on the island. There's still a point to be made though that the lane was supposedly always open towards the trident.
with the stone intact.

DemWalls

Saw it. That this has a lower RT score than OST is laughable, almost makes me think Depp's personal problems had a role in it. At least the general public seems to know better.

That said, the movie isn't flawless. At the very least, though, it looks pretty good and the set pieces are quite entertaining, which cannot be said of the previous installment. Loved Salazar and his crew's design.

Wonder what will be the threat in the possible next movie, since it sounds like destroying the trident means no more "sea-powered" supernatural foes and stuff.

Slaythe

I really hate the "pirates saga" being used here.

They should have said the "Sparrow saga" at least.

Like, we're never ever getting another pirate movie, disney or not, with a high budget, so might as well keep pirates around.

Just have new stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rewatching the old movies, they just retconed the hell out of things in this film

Davey Jones gave Jack the Peal
Calypso traded Jack the Compass

DemWalls

Was that not the Black Pearl they were on when Jack became Captain in the Flashback, or was it a different ship?

My mistake then.

I honestly didn't pay attention. Besides, I'm not that good at discerning ships, unless they're weird like Salazar's or the Dutchman :lol:

Was that not the Black Pearl they were on when Jack became Captain in the Flashback, or was it a different ship?

My mistake then.
It was named the Wicked Wench, but it is the same ship. Didn't Davy Jones bring back the ship to Jack after it was lost? From that point on it was known as the Black Pearl.

Toa TAK

Banned
It was named the Wicked Wench, but it is the same ship. Didn't Davy Jones bring back the ship to Jack after it was lost? From that point on it was known as the Black Pearl.

That sounds about right. At least it was lost and brought back.

I sorta thought that's what they were going with that at the flashback.

18-Volt

I really love the series and I'm very happy that with the saga finale they kicked Bruckheimer an Depp out. New Saga and/or reboot can't come soon enough and I want some different cast of characters and settings.

I wouldn't mind a reboot starring Zoe Saldana as lead (Anamaria) and her crew, and I want more traditional pirate story. Like Mad Mad World/Rat Race combined with treasure hunting. Bunch of pirates and their ships racing against each other and against time to find a legendary treasure. No evil villains, only friendly rivals.

Problem with Jack in this movie is he's just a drunken idiot.

Re-watch the first movie and he's the drunken master. He has a plan.

I made a point earlier in this thread that the story feels like it was good. Then someone along the way butchered it.

My own idea to a better story line would have been Jack being forced to confront his own destructive tendencies. The compass has never been willing traded without Jack having a plan to get it back later. The trade was when Jack choose booze over his own freedom, which the compass has grown to represent. The compass releases Salazar and Jack is forced to confront the consequences of his pact actions in Salazar.

This whole film should have been about redemption. The film should have followed a better written daughter of Barbossa. She had the more interesting setup than anyone else.

An orphan abandoned, who takes an interest in science, but due to her convictions and morals. (Instead of being called a witch just because she is smart. It can work, but without some over character trait, that joke just got annoying.) Have her go looking for a captain to help her find the Trident.

Meanwhile Jack has the safe scene from the Fast and Furious take place.

She meets Jack after he is abandoned by his crew and tells her to bugger off in a drunken stupor. He then makes the choice to give up the compass. The night sky turns red and Salazar is released. The daughter notices this and realities that this captain may be able to help her produce the map. Before she can speak to him Jack is arrested.

Jack is locked in prison where even the other pirates refuse to associate with him, or frown on him due to the way he treated his crew. That same night Salazar and his crew attack the port. (remove the can't step on land thing, as all that did in the film was stretch it out another 30 mins.) Jack and daughter escape, but realise that if they have any real hope of getting off the island, they need to get to Barbossa. Jack agrees to this because he hears the Trident can hurt even the undead.

Appealing to Barbossa's vanity they get on the ship. Unaware that Barbossa bought the compass and that it has only started pointing away from land after they got on the ship. Unable to produce the blood moon needed for the map, the characters go looking for a witch to help them cause the blood moon. Eventually they cause it, but the witch warns Barbossa that what he desires most will always be out of reach until it is too late.

The blood moon allows the daughter to produce the map. Along the way Jack is unable to obtain a drink. To keep him from going mad they ask him about Salazar. Jack reveals that Salazar was the first man he killed and part of the reason he drinks so much is that the men on Salazars ship were the first he killed and he's never been able to move on from it.

Throw in some sort of undead beasty or a British Fleet looking for the pirates responsible for Salazars attack on the port. Maybe have Salazar meet with the witch and they strike a deal that if she tells them where the heros are, she can hold onto his soul. (Setting up a sequal).

Barbossa and the daughter who at first don't like each other slowly realise they have more in common and eventually start to suspect their real connection.

Salazar and the heros meet at the location of the Trident. Salazar tries to kill Jack but Jack stalls him by understanding his hatred and apologizing. They destroy the Trident before Salazar can kill jack. The movie ends as per the original. Daughter and Jack live, Barbossa dies. Daughter and Jack sail off to find more treasuer as she realises the only way for her to be truly free is to live like a pirate in the sea. Jack tosses his booze into the ocean, only to find the compass float to the top.

Maybe a bit cheesy, but way better than what we got. Oh and the extra scene is the Witch holding Salazar's sole in a Jar and her looking onto the Flying Dutchman as dark energy crackles.

I don't know why, I guess it's a "straw that broke the camel's back" kinda thing, but this is the movie that finally makes me realize I give zero shits about Critic scores for ANYTHING. I had a lot of fun watching this and I haven't even seen the other ones other than Curse of the Black Pearl. (I know the characters though). Seems like people really just like to find excuses to call something awful. I've seen awful. I've seen bad. I've seen "just okay." This isn't those.

Im the opposite I see my opinions align more and more with critics but I also accept that trash movies are enjoyable in parts and just because I had some good laughs doesn't make it not trash.

Dead Men Tell No Tales was such a trash movie. Very enjoyable at times, the execution for instance, but lacking in originality and continuity as well as grossly mishandling an iconic character like jack.

Rewatching the old movies, they just retconed the hell out of things in this film

Davey Jones gave Jack the Peal
Calypso traded Jack the Compass

I mean.. I don't really think they spent a ton of time making sure the canon was water tight.. but the Pearl was brought back from the depths, so Jack could have had it previously.

As for the compass.. Tia Dalma says "the compass you barter from me.. it cannot lead you to this?" that does not preclude the possibility that that he pulled some sort of trickaroo with it like he does in the movies.. where he gives it to someone who gives it to someone who somehow gets it back to Jack. The act of "betraying it" seems to involve getting rid of it with no intentions (or desire?) of reclaiming it. It's pretty thin, but I find it enough for a Pirates movie!

VDenter

Banned
Just saw this movie and found it bland but better than the fourth one at least. Who was that in the prison cell that Jack was talking to when he was being dragged out to be executed?

Who was that in the prison cell that Jack was talking to when he was being dragged out to be executed?

It was a decent film but it really didn't have the same feel as the original trilogy,especially the first one. Stakes didn't feel that high and Jack Sparrow really has lost most of his charm, he works best as more of a side character than the main protagonist. This and stranger tides feel more like spin-offs more than anything else.

Oh and Orlando Bloom was totally phoning it in.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finished rewatching the origional 3 for the first time in a long time.

Have a newfound respect for 2 and 3. They were both too long, but there was a really fun adventure story there. Jones was great and some of the action setpieces were fantastic (sword fight in the 3rd and battle at the end of the 3rd).

It definitely had some plot issues (where was all the power inherent in Blackbeard's sword? Barbossa should've hung Salazar's ass from the rigging from word one),
Yeah thats a weird thing especially considering they still made it a point that it had power.
Honestly didn't care much for it & Blackbeard in the movie but when I saw the background information on it I became a fan and it was sadly wasted potential in both movies.

And as far as Disney goes the sword originally belonged to

Yeah thats a weird thing especially considering they still made it a point that it had power.
Honestly didn't care much for it & Blackbeard in the movie but when I saw the background information on it I became a fan and it was sadly wasted potential in both movies.

And as far as Disney goes the sword originally belonged to

As someone else said.. the eventual Little Mermaid/Pirates crossover is going to be epic :)

woodland

Kinda liked it but kinda disappointed at the same time. Thought Jack being a complete drunkard for the first 2/3rds was kinda disappointing, and as some people mentioned it seemed he didn't get a shit at all about Henry. I know he's a pirate, but granted what him, Will, and Elizabeth went through I'd think he'd at least care a bit more about him.

At the same time, it felt like there were a few too many things they cut edges on. Compass from the old captain as one, another being the compass freeing your worst fear. Having the Trident be the most powerful thing on the seas is eh too, because once you reach that it seems like anything weaker will disappoint.

I love Will/Elizabeth, so it's great seeing them, even if only briefly, but I'd like to see the new pair more. The girl did a great job and hopefully if they gave the guy enough time he'd be better as well. Wish they'd make this a new trilogy with those 2 as the mains, as I love having a high budget pirate series.

Davide

I enjoyed 5 but I just watched Dead Man's Chest and it's so good. I didn't like it so much for some reason in 2006 but it's really aged well. Maybe it's even better than the first. It absolutely doesn't deserve its 54% on RottenTomatoes with critics calling it too dark.

And comparably Revenge of the Sith had 80% just a year before. It's got 11% lower than freaking Attack of the Clones.

I enjoyed 5 but I just watched Dead Man's Chest and it's so good. I didn't like it so much for some reason in 2006 but it's really aged well. Maybe it's even better than the first. It absolutely doesn't deserve its 54% on RottenTomatoes with critics calling it too dark.

I definitely like it more than the first, which is fantastic but I thought the second movie just gave the world so much more depth.

It was darker, but that's what happens when you take some risks and provide some real ass stakes for the characters.

Top Bottom