• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates react to their games being pirated in Game Dev Tycoon

Raika

Hardly any games don't have a "free" version on or near to release these days. That doesn't make it right.
I'm not saying that it's right, but this time the devs put out the cracked version themselves. Some people might see that as "oh hey, since the devs themselves are giving us a free alternative, why not go for it".

PaulLFC

Developers put out an alternative version of their own game for people to download, making it legal to download at least here, stuff put online with the consent of the rightful owner makes it fair game.
No it doesn't make it legal. They didn't put up two versions on their website and say "We're releaseing a free and a paid version, choose whichever you like!". They uploaded a torrent of their game, under an unrelated username, to analyse the impacts of piracy. That's completely different.

Other companies probably do the same, they just don't talk about it.

Question - if this blog post hadn't appeared, would you have known that the developers had uploaded a "free" version that you say is legal? No, because without that knowledge it looks like any other download for any other game. Without that knowledge it would be considered piracy - just because you now know it was the devs who uploaded it under a different username, and not another person, does not make it legal.

If the dev wants you to pirate their games, it does remove the moral question of piracy, unless you think legality has an impact on morality.
Where did they say they wanted people to pirate the game? It was used as part analysis of how piracy affects them, and part clever marketing due to the changed code.

I'm not saying that it's right, but this time the devs put out the cracked version themselves. Some people might see that as "oh hey, since the devs themselves are giving us a free alternative, why not go for it".
Yes but, as above, it was uploaded with an unrelated username, so if the blog post hadn't appeared, hardly anyone would know it was the devs who'd distributed it.

Kagami

False. You don't own any of the software you buy, you own a license to use it:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/09/first-sale-doctrine/

Games are just a form of software. Easy to forget, but you don't strictly speaking own any game in your collection.

"We hold today that a software user is a licensee rather than an owner of a copy where the copyright owner (1) specifies that the user is granted a license; (2) significantly restricts the user's ability to transfer the software; and (3) imposes notable use restrictions."

You've misunderstood that article. It only applies to software that is specifically licensed. The part you quoted after the bolded even clarifies that.
There hasn't been some sweeping change to copyright law to make all copies of computer software require licenses.

Virtually none of the games I own have any license agreement attached to them, and thus I own them in the same sense I own my books. They're controlled by standard copyright law.

Mithos

No it doesn't make it legal. They didn't put up two versions on their website and say "We're releaseing a free and a paid version, choose whichever you like!". They uploaded a torrent of their game, under an unrelated username, to analyse the impacts of piracy. That's completely different.

Other companies probably do the same, they just don't talk about it.

Question - if this blog post hadn't appeared, would you have known that the developers had uploaded a "free" version that you say is legal? No, because without that knowledge it looks like any other download for any other game. Without that knowledge it would be considered piracy - just because you now know it was the devs who uploaded it under a different username, and not another person, does not make it legal.

The law makes it legal because I now they did place it there, at least here, maybe not in your country.
Well not "only" because I know they placed it there, but also because THEY placed it there.

Jintor

You've misunderstood that article. It only applies to software that is specifically licensed. The part you quoted after the bolded even clarifies that.
There hasn't been some sweeping change to copyright law to make all copies of computer software require licenses.

Virtually none of the games I own have any license agreement attached to them, and thus I own them in the same sense I own my books. They're controlled by standard copyright law.

Hmmm? TOS you accept on installation doesn't count?

syllogism

The law makes it legal because I now they did place it there, at least here, maybe not in your country.
Well not "only" because I know they placed it there, but also because THEY placed it there.
This is extremely unlikely, you probably just don't know what you are talking about. I'm sure they aren't even seeding it anymore.

Mithos

This is extremely unlikely, you probably just don't know what you are talking about. I'm sure they aren't even seeding it anymore.

Neah, the law is pretty clear on this.

1. If I download a copy of a movie/tv-series, a game or a music file, that has been put online without the authorization of the rightful owner, I'm breaking the law.

2. If I download a copy of a movie/tv-series, a game or a music file, that has been put online WITH the authorization of the rightful owner, I'm NOT breaking the law, whether the file is placed online by the rightful owner him/her-self or if they gave given their authorization to a third party to put it online.

Guess where this so called *cracked* version of Game Dev Tycoon fits in, 1 or 2?

Mithos

You didn't answer my question.

Until the second they revealed that they were indeed behind that copy, you would believed that you were a pirate, but legally you would not have been one a single second depending on your location,I can't speak for the law in every country.

Virtually no game I own has a TOS on installation.

I've yet to see a PC game that doesn't have a ToS on installation. You probably just click "next" too fast ;)

As for console games, the ToS is in the manual and most force you to agree to the ToS when you go online for the first time (that thing you don't read, but sometimes have to scroll to the bottom to get past)

Also, Sony and Microsoft make you sign their ToS when you create online accounts.

Kagami

What. Every single thing I've ever installed every has a ToS.

If you're talking about console games, then check the manual. The terms of service are in there.
Single-player offline games don't have terms of service because there's no service.
I guess ones with online components have something, but the last console game I bought with online stuff was PSO for Dreamcast. (The most modern consoles I own are PSP and 3DS, so I have no idea if PS3 and 360 games are coming with EULAs these days or something.)

Also a TOS and a EULA are two different things.
A EULA requires the user to agree to it in some fashion, usually with a button during installation. You can't stick a EULA in the manual and claim the user agreed to it just because it's there, and as far as I know no game maker has ever tried.

I checked the manuals in the two most recent PSP games I bought (Kokoro Connect and Haganai Portable), but there's nothing like a EULA or TOS in them.

I do own a handful of American PC games with EULAs. (Mostly Blizzard.)
But if any of my Japanese PC games have EULAs, it's so rare I've forgotten about them.

Just to test I grabbed Ys Origin off the shelf and installed it now.
Here's the whole sequence; there's no EULA:

http://i5.minus.com/iL4A1mbkG4103.jpg 2006...I forgot how old this is. I really need to get around to playing it...
http://i6.minus.com/ibjuLxy5HsLiXG.jpg "Thank you for buying Ys Origin. This install requires 1.8GB."
http://i7.minus.com/iTBT5fZrfa93L.jpg "This installer is running with admin rights. Do you want to install for all users or just this user?"
http://i5.minus.com/iY6h6vea6dgBS.jpg Choose installation folder
http://i7.minus.com/idkOzlpKCK31s.jpg "Press 決定 to start the installation."
http://i3.minus.com/ibyaIPRpjJqqJ6.jpg
http://i1.minus.com/ibbATEDOy9dxeO.jpg "Installation complete."
http://i3.minus.com/ibyuP2iBBlxxgR.jpg

OK installer's done, let's start the game.
http://i6.minus.com/ibjv7Z0WXaOrpw.jpg
http://i1.minus.com/isfXGj80e35BQ.jpg
http://i3.minus.com/iDuOLcDUYHw73.jpg
No EULA/TOS/anything anywhere.

syllogism

Neah, the law is pretty clear on this.

1. If I download a copy of a movie/tv-series, a game or a music file, that has been put online without the authorization of the rightful owner, I'm breaking the law.

2. If I download a copy of a movie/tv-series, a game or a music file, that has been put online WITH the authorization of the rightful owner, I'm NOT breaking the law, whether the file is placed online by the rightful owner him/her-self or if they gave given their authorization to a third party to put it online.

Guess where this so called *cracked* version of Game Dev Tycoon fits in, 1 or 2?
You are likely misreading or misunderstanding the law. It makes no sense for the download to be authorized (this just means licensed unless it's public domain fyi) if you don't even get the file from the original seed and the copyright holder did not intend to authorize anything. It's probably not a settled area of the law, but I'm quite confident in that there is no authorization. Can you link to the relevant statute, it doesn't matter if it's in Swedish

Mithos

You are likely misreading or misunderstanding the law. It makes no sense for the download to be authorized (this just means licensed unless it's public domain fyi) if you don't even get the file from the original seed and the copyright holder did not intend to authorize anything. It's probably not a settled area of the law, but I'm quite confident in that there is no authorization. Can you link to the relevant statute, it doesn't matter if it's in Swedish

When these guy agree with me I'm pretty sure I'm not misunderstanding it. But this is not a link to the relevant statute you asked for, just the guys who work FOR the industry to halt/stop illegal use of everything they hold dear.
http://www.antipiratbyran.se/index.htm?id=faq

I think your just splitting words (if thats the correct term, dunno) here, when I mean authorized, I just mean that its not an illegal download. Like if I went to some site NOW and downloaded Dead Space 3 it would be an illegal download, not "authorized" by EA or Viseral Games.

BUT if tomorrow EA and Viseral Games decide to put up Dead Space 3 for download, oh lets say here on Neogaf and it is really them doing it, that download WOULD be an "authorized" download and hence not illegal to download.

syllogism

If there is no written license agreement (EULA) , the implied license just includes the permission to transfer the license. That does not mean you have exactly the same property rights as you would over normal property.

syllogism

When these guy agree with me I'm pretty sure I'm not misunderstanding it. But this is not a link to the relevant statute you asked for, just the guys who work FOR the industry to halt/stop illegal use of everything they hold dear.
http://www.antipiratbyran.se/index.htm?id=faq
I don't understand everything, but that seems to leave open what authorization actually means and seems to say that you actually have to believe that the download was authorized, and considering they are publicly calling these people pirates, I don't see how you could in good faith believe that.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I know it's already been said numerous times, but it's both hilarious in what these guys did...

...and that they completely ripped-off Game Dev Story. Piracy, indeed!

Lint21

Neo Member
I watched a bit of TotalBiscuit's stream of the game yesterday. It looks to be a shameless ripoff of Game Dev Story, with worse graphics. Most of the differences I saw were just in the UI, but it also looked like you could research new genres instead of unlocking them like in GDS. I also saw that you could research things like joystick or gamepad control.

Can anyone articulate what else is different in the game? I'm currently stunned that someone would have the gall to charge $8 for a hacky remake of someone else's work. No respect for this developer, even with the twist on McPixel's approach of posting on TPB.

EDIT: maybe stunned is the wrong word. I can believe it, but I'm grossed out.

False. You don't own any of the software you buy, you own a license to use it:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/09/first-sale-doctrine/

Games are just a form of software. Easy to forget, but you don't strictly speaking own any game in your collection.

"We hold today that a software user is a licensee rather than an owner of a copy where the copyright owner (1) specifies that the user is granted a license; (2) significantly restricts the user's ability to transfer the software; and (3) imposes notable use restrictions."

Still false. I defy a corporation to win a jury case on this matter.

itxaka

Defeatist
Is this game, game dev tycoon, just a clone of game dev story?

kind of.

Its basically the same but with some deeper thing like choosing the percentage of time dedicated to graphics or dialogs.

You also have to invest quite some time into discovering new thing like mouse, joystick, open world, savegames and then you need to develop a game engine that contains those things in order to use on your games.

_You also can have publiser deals in which you need to get above a score or else you have to pay some money. They pay some money upfront and you get a cut of every sold game.

It's kind of crappy to be honest. Because the things that were on game dev story work really well, but the new additions....well, let's say they didn't think them as much. Its like they pasted it on top of game dev story and call it a day.

So....not really recomended unless you love this kind of games, which I do.

DBT85

So I played the demo, the only game dev game I've played.

Kind of enjoyed it, but it didn't seem as in depth as I'd like and ended up making me want to play either Grand Prix Manager 2 or Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.

Coconut

Banned
kind of.

Its basically the same but with some deeper thing like choosing the percentage of time dedicated to graphics or dialogs.

You also have to invest quite some time into discovering new thing like mouse, joystick, open world, savegames and then you need to develop a game engine that contains those things in order to use on your games.

_You also can have publiser deals in which you need to get above a score or else you have to pay some money. They pay some money upfront and you get a cut of every sold game.

It's kind of crappy to be honest. Because the things that were on game dev story work really well, but the new additions....well, let's say they didn't think them as much. Its like they pasted it on top of game dev story and call it a day.

So....not really recomended unless you love this kind of games, which I do.

Sounds like padding, thanks for the explanation.

Stuart444

That is amazing! Kudos to those guys.
I'm interested in the game now, but after hearing that it's nearly identical to Game Dev Story, I'm not too sure anymore. Anyone here played both and know which one is better?

After playing it more, I wouldn't say it's nearly identical to GDS though the early start of it is very similar. Making a custom game engine with new technology every so often is rather crucial and I've failed quite a bit after getting to the new office so I'd at least say it's harder than GDS.

On the surface, it's easy to say it's a 'blatant ripoff' of GDS but imo, as you keep playing, it feels both different yet similar.

I'd say it's easily inspired by GDS (they (the devs) have said this themselves) but it feels different and in some ways, it feels like an improvement on this addictive formula. (I was up until 8am this morning playing it before going to sleep... woops)

So I played the demo, the only game dev game I've played.

Kind of enjoyed it, but it didn't seem as in depth as I'd like and ended up making me want to play either Grand Prix Manager 2 or Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.

Said this earlier but I wish someone would make a proper full blown sim like RCT or The Movies for Game development.

Zona

Still false. I defy a corporation to win a jury case on this matter.

So, to recap: EULAs are binding, they can control just about everything you might dream up, and only Congress can change the situation.

Your disagreement does not change the fact that federal law says differently.

Specifically ""We hold today that a software user is a licensee rather than an owner of a copy where the copyright owner (1) specifies that the user is granted a license; (2) significantly restricts the user’s ability to transfer the software; and (3) imposes notable use restrictions.""

milkham

See, this is what I don't get. "ios style"? Tycoon games have been around on PC for years. Is this game, inspired by Game Dev Story? Yes, undoubtedly. Probably more than it should be. It's not a straight rip off though, there are some tweaks and improvements, but more could be done.

I like it, though. It's nice to have a game dev simulator on PC to play every now and then, even if it is similar to the one on my phone.

I believe he was referring to the rampant game cloning there is in the apple app store not the type of game it is when he says "ios style" as in "ios style game cloning"

So, to recap: EULAs are binding, they can control just about everything you might dream up, and only Congress can change the situation.

Your disagreement does not change the fact that federal law says differently.

Specifically ""We hold today that a software user is a licensee rather than an owner of a copy where the copyright owner (1) specifies that the user is granted a license; (2) significantly restricts the user’s ability to transfer the software; and (3) imposes notable use restrictions.""
That doesn't apply everywhere, just the Ninth Circuit.

Anyway, the court is wrong. Not for the first time.

You never own the software you buy.

You are not the owner simply because you don't decide what changes are made, when the updates are available, how the interface should be, etc. you just receive all this from the real owner that let's you use it's software.

ksdixon

I am going to choose to play the demo.

Demos are usually my first point of call. If they are not available, or do not give enough time/variation on the game to make up my mind if I like it or not, then I will try to rent it. I mean there's nothing worse than getting the tutorial level as the demo and wading through the hand-holding etc. If a rental isn't available I will pirate it as my third step, before deciding if it's worth the money or not.

Other times I pirate it is because of a lack of funds, and if the game is enjoyable I later purchase it. Or it is an accessibility thing (i.e. I just want to watch a film I have sat over there on my bookcase, not sit through copy-write screens and un-skippable trailers/adverts for 5-10 minutes on the DVD.)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Played the demo, bought the game. Anyone know if there is a way to transfer my save over from the demo?

Single-player offline games don't have terms of service because there's no service.

False. The game itself is considered a service.

I guess ones with online components have something, but the last console game I bought with online stuff was PSO for Dreamcast. (The most modern consoles I own are PSP and 3DS, so I have no idea if PS3 and 360 games are coming with EULAs these days or something.)

They do.

Also a TOS and a EULA are two different things.
A EULA requires the user to agree to it in some fashion, usually with a button during installation. You can't stick a EULA in the manual and claim the user agreed to it just because it's there, and as far as I know no game maker has ever tried.

Then you're not aware of the practices of EA, UbiSoft, Activision, Microsoft, etc. There is no functional difference between an EULA or a TOS and it is enforceable in court. The burden is on the consumer to read the EULA/TOS in a manual or on a screen during installation.

I checked the manuals in the two most recent PSP games I bought (Kokoro Connect and Haganai Portable), but there's nothing like a EULA or TOS in them.

I do own a handful of American PC games with EULAs. (Mostly Blizzard.)
But if any of my Japanese PC games have EULAs, it's so rare I've forgotten about them.

You should have seen one in World of Warcraft or StarCraft 2 (or whatever Blizzard games you play).

Just to test I grabbed Ys Origin off the shelf and installed it now.
Here's the whole sequence; there's no EULA:

http://i5.minus.com/iL4A1mbkG4103.jpg 2006...I forgot how old this is. I really need to get around to playing it...
http://i6.minus.com/ibjuLxy5HsLiXG.jpg "Thank you for buying Ys Origin. This install requires 1.8GB."
http://i7.minus.com/iTBT5fZrfa93L.jpg "This installer is running with admin rights. Do you want to install for all users or just this user?"
http://i5.minus.com/iY6h6vea6dgBS.jpg Choose installation folder
http://i7.minus.com/idkOzlpKCK31s.jpg "Press 決定 to start the installation."
http://i3.minus.com/ibyaIPRpjJqqJ6.jpg
http://i1.minus.com/ibbATEDOy9dxeO.jpg "Installation complete."
http://i3.minus.com/ibyuP2iBBlxxgR.jpg

OK installer's done, let's start the game.
http://i6.minus.com/ibjv7Z0WXaOrpw.jpg
http://i1.minus.com/isfXGj80e35BQ.jpg
http://i3.minus.com/iDuOLcDUYHw73.jpg
No EULA/TOS/anything anywhere.

A niche Japanese game isn't indicative of what we're discussing in this thread.

That doesn't apply everywhere, just the Ninth Circuit.

Anyway, the court is wrong. Not for the first time.

If you read the article, you missed an important sentence:

ArsTechnica said:
Ultimately, though, they concluded that they had to follow precedent, not rule based on desired outcome.

Courts in the U.S. are required to base decisions on judicial precedent. Actions taken by Congress can overrule the decisions of courts. Courts can stray from judicial precedent in some instances (which probably won't apply here since we're discussing copyright law). At most, you'd get a judge discussing various changes they would like to see in the law.

In a future case, this decision can be used as judicial precedent. If a case goes all the way to the Supreme Court, it would be surprising if their decision deviated from what we saw in this case.

Unless Congress revises copyright law/expands what constitutes fair use, nothing is going to change.

I played the game a little, and while it's enjoyable, it's also very simple. And it suffers from too much hand holding, and having to research even silly little things (research genre sci fi, really?).
I haven't played the game, but I just want to say that probably isn't a silly thing at all, you'd want to want to have a good knowledge and inspiration from a genre you're trying to create for.

I haven't played the game, but I just want to say that probably isn't a silly thing at all, you'd want to want to have a good knowledge and inspiration from a genre you're trying to create for.

The tutorial's automatically disabled after you make it through each section. As the complexity increases, I'm glad to have the hand-holding. If anything, the tutorial needs to be expanded to explain the rating system more clearly and how the various components of time allocation matter for each genre. What I tend to think matters for say military action games (graphics and gameplay), doesn't seem to be echoed by the reviewers.

RM8

I didn't find the demo very fun. It's somehow not as fun as Game Dev Story, and that's a phone game.

Kagami

False. The game itself is considered a service.
Considered a service by whom? What do you mean? Show me a game with no internet connectivity that has something labeled "Terms of Service."

Then you're not aware of the practices of EA, UbiSoft, Activision, Microsoft, etc. There is no functional difference between an EULA or a TOS and it is enforceable in court. The burden is on the consumer to read the EULA/TOS in a manual or on a screen during installation.
EULAs govern copies of software. TOS govern the use of services.
For example, World of Warcraft has a EULA for the game client and TOS for using their game servers to play:
EULA http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_eula.html
TOS htp://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html
I'm sure it's not unusual to put everything in one agreement, but as you can see, it varies by title, and saying that the two terms mean the same thing is incorrect.

As for putting a EULA (not TOS) only in the manual and not behind an OK button in the installer or at software startup, and claiming that it governs the use of the associated software (not internet services)--I'm certainly curious about that if you can show me some examples.

You should have seen one in World of Warcraft or StarCraft 2 (or whatever Blizzard games you play).
Yes, that's why I said they had EULAs.

A niche Japanese game isn't indicative of what we're discussing in this thread.
dutchguyhjack said "you don't strictly speaking own any game in your collection"
I responded that that's not the case.
The game this thread is about is more niche than Ys Origins.

squall23

I didn't find the demo very fun. It's somehow not as fun as Game Dev Story, and that's a phone game.
My reason for that is probably the style of the game. While a programmer rapidly mashing on the keyboard is probably not what a game dev actually does in real life like GDS shows it, at least it's better than the people you see in this game who just sit in front of a computer occasionally moving their hands to simulate typing or slowing writing on a notepad.

Courts in the U.S. are required to base decisions on judicial precedent.

So why didn't the Ninth Circuit follow the clear precedent of First Sale?

Congress already enacted law governing this matter: Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. § 109

Section 109(a) provides: "Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106 (3), the owner of a particular copy or phonorecord lawfully made under this title, or any person authorized by such owner, is entitled, without the authority of the copyright owner, to sell or otherwise dispose of the possession of that copy or phonorecord." The elements of the first sale doctrine can be summarized as follows: (1) the copy was lawfully made with the authorization of the copyright owner; (2) ownership of the copy was initially transferred under the copyright owner's authority; (3) the defendant is a lawful owner of the copy in question; and (4) the defendant's use implicates the distribution right only; not the reproduction or some other right given to the copyright owner.

Top Bottom