• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirates react to their games being pirated in Game Dev Tycoon

Demon Ice

Banned
That is absolutely incredible. Especially that response hahaha "Can I research a DRM...there's no point in creating a new engine"

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If you played it, you were tainted by interesting story telling and all other western RPG stories seemed unplayable afterwards.
<3

I need to go back to that game. Left it on chapter 2, even though I was enjoying it a lot.

Kind of surprised to see the blog coverage and the majority of people ITT eating it up.
Seems like they've got a formula to success now. Take a hit game, create an ugly clone of it, change one word in the title and profit!

Hats off to them for the marketing gimmick though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hehe, smart thing to do. Easy to see whos playing the pirated version if they start asking question about why the game doesnt work properly =)

Hehe, smart thing to do. Easy to see whos playing the pirated version if they start asking question about why the game doesnt work properly =)

They may have put some sort of script in the "cracked version" to send a signal of "+1" to pirate version, probably ip based or something.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
They may have put some sort of script in the "cracked version" to send a signal of "+1" to pirate version, probably ip based or something.

Or simply check the torrent stats?

Meier

I'm sure this has been covered, but there is a certain irony here given the fact this sounds like such a wholesale ripoff or Game Dev Story. What a joke.

syllogism

The activity could technically still be considered piracy depending on how "unauthorized" use is interpreted. It's not clear at all that putting your copyrighted thing on a tracker means that you are authorizing every single use, in particular if the people accessing the torrent have no such expectation. The fact that the copyright owner facilitated the infringement would limit the available remedies, but possibly not make the act lawful.

e: remember that most users would not have downloaded their copies from the original seed

Meier

are you all trying to say people should not be able to create their own take on a subject because it's been done before?
They should come up with a new fucking name for one. This really should be illegal, frankly. If Kairosoft were a bigger company in the US, you can bet your ass these guys would be sued to oblivion for good reason.

It's akin to making a game about flinging birds at shit and calling it Angry Bird Tossing.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Best DRM I've ever seen. I kind of wish they'd kept it secret for a little longer though, rather than tell everyone about it the day after they released it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
They should come up with a new fucking name for one. This really should be illegal, frankly. If Kairosoft were a bigger company in the US, you can bet your ass these guys would be sued to oblivion for good reason.

It's akin to making a game about flinging birds at shit and calling it Angry Bird Tossing.

Or Mojang being sued by Bethesda using that similar name for their card game "Scrolls".

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

There are tons of Angry Birds ripoffs across most platforms. None of them have been "sued to oblivion" as far as I know.

Toppot

This is superb!

Yes having pirated copies of a game act weirdly is nothing new, but the context it is put in in this game just makes the meaning so much greater, as well as being ironic.

Ironically, piracy has given them more exposure and will now help them sell more copies. It goes both ways.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It sucks to see their game pirated to hell but it's also a cool idea to do something like this which sabotages cracked versions. I think it's an interesting tactic which some devs could start doing.

Smash88

Banned
So wait a minute, they create a shitty flash game knock off and then get upset when a large majority have pirated it? I'm honestly not surprised.

I'm not saying it's right, but I'm still not surprised

rrs

Congrats, now every pirate site worth a damn will pull it and replace it with a real crack.

Also:
DRM that changes the cracked game is nothing new. We were doing this pretty heavily on Dead Space 2 and I can tell you that there are some real negatives to that approach.

In our case our forums were overwhelmed with PC users complaining about bugs almost all of which were due to failed DRM checks. If someone who hasn't bought the game yet goes into the forums they just see that the PC looks like a buggy mess.

codecow

DRM that changes the cracked game is nothing new. We were doing this pretty heavily on Dead Space 2 and I can tell you that there are some real negatives to that approach.

In our case our forums were overwhelmed with PC users complaining about bugs almost all of which were due to failed DRM checks. If someone who hasn't bought the game yet goes into the forums they just see that the PC looks like a buggy mess.

neonille

Tried the demo. The game has the ugliest interface i have ever seen. It looks like they made the buttons and the H.U.D in paint. Rest of it looks good so it's kinda....off.

No thanks. Nice thing with the pirates though...

Helping sales or not I applaud the devs for doing this, some real funny stuff.

It reminds me of when batman AA first came out, pirated versions would not allow batman to glide so you always fell into the joker gas about 30 minutes in and could not progress, then people posted on the game forum about it asking what they should do, lol.

they didn't do that.

They simply released a different game. That's 100% success on spotting non-legit consumers.

Congrats, now every pirate site worth a damn will pull it and replace it with a real crack.

they don't intend to keep it going as someone would catch up to the fact it was a modded version.

The real FUN aspect of this is that people who downloaded a torrent were complaining about their fictional game getting pirated.

That's the FUN part and the message they tried to get through. If they kept it like that, maybe people would think the game is too hard/broken based on "user reviews"

Joni

This company actually trademarked the name Game Dev Tycoon while Kairosoft didn't trademark Game Dev or Game Dev Story. Angry Birds on the other hand is trademarked.

Toma

So, seriously, you work for this dev or something? You're so intent on shielding them from negative comments

I... what? Reading comprehension isnt your strongest suit it seems, lol.

Let me recap:

I complained about them copying the name and type of the game, especially in combination.
I complained about them calling everyone downloading their free demo a "pirate".

..yet I "shield" them from negative comments? Gaf sure is funky today.

Let me recap:

I complained about them copying the name and type of the game, especially in combination.
I complained about them calling everyone downloading their free demo a "pirate".

stop shielding man!

Let me recap:

You are clearly trying to cover your tracks.

rrs

they don't intend to keep it going as someone would catch up to the fact it was a modded version.

The real FUN aspect of this is that people who downloaded a torrent were complaining about their fictional game getting pirated.

That's the FUN part and the message they tried to get through. If they kept it like that, maybe people would think the game is too hard/broken based on "user reviews"

I do find it funny though, no doubt. But to real pirates it is nothing more than a disconvience.

Meier

There are tons of Angry Birds ripoffs across most platforms. None of them have been "sued to oblivion" as far as I know.

Again, the primary issue is that not only is it a rip off of the game but they've stolen the name as well. Everyone would assume this is in somehow related to the original title because of the wholesale theft of the name. If they wanted to rip off Kairosoft, fine, but don't steal their series name too. If someone made an Angry Birds clone and called it "Angry Bird Tossing" (i.e. my example), then yes, Rovio would sue them.

This company actually trademarked the name Game Dev Tycoon while Kairosoft didn't trademark Game Dev or Game Dev Story. Angry Birds on the other hand is trademarked.

Even grosser. These guys are like that Tim Langdell joker.

Kabouter

1day.png

Wow. I feel like this should be in the OP.

I'm not surprised, mostly because I've been trying to buy it for like half an hour now, and their website won't cooperate. It keeps giving me 'the page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable'. Eh, guess I'll just play something else, I have too big of a Steam backlog anyway.

milkham

I thought this was brilliant and I thought this was a pc version made by the game dev story developers, and that they had robbed it of all its charm by using a horribly generic graphical style, then i realized its just a game dev story clone.

Loxley

Didn't the developers of Titan Quest do something similar way back when? I remember the guys in GFW Radio talking about it a few years back. They put some game-killing bug in the final version that was activated at a certain point into the game if it was detected that the player was playing a cracked version.

People on their message boards were freaking out about this game killing bug, and then the devs let the cat out of the bag. Of course all of the people who were claiming to have experienced the error were swearing up and down they didn't pirate the game (although some did admit to it eventually).

RS4-

I think uhh, the new Worms game for Android did something similar while I was looking for reviews. Something about the Worms turning into pirates and slowly losing health.

Zia

Lackluster clone performs clever publicity stunt.

Lackluster as compared to a Cow Clicker with hyper-simplistic sim elements? I won't deny that this a pretty shameless clone, but the indignation is interesting considering the gross, mindless time wasters Kairosift shits out.

nubbe

Didn't the developers of Titan Quest do something similar way back when? I remember the guys in GFW Radio talking about it a few years back. They put some game-killing bug in the final version that was activated at a certain point into the game if it was detected that the player was playing a cracked version.

People on their message boards were freaking out about this game killing bug, and then the devs let the cat out of the bag. Of course all of the people who were claiming to have experienced the error were swearing up and down they didn't pirate the game (although some did admit to it eventually).

Yes, but their mistake was to just crash the game after you leave town

dock

Can anyone point out some unique things about this game that aren't in Game Dev Story?

Also, have the developers ever worked in a studio? This looks to be their first game.

Toma

Can anyone point out some unique things about this game that aren't in Game Dev Story?

Also, have the developers ever worked in a studio? This looks to be their first game.

It has 2 differently sized demos! Dundunduuuun.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Need a scumbag indie dev meme for this, I think.

[Releases 1:1 cloned game]

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

[Complains about piracy]

Top Bottom