• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Dead

well not really...yet
For that price I'd get a 65" OLED.
I wouldn't. You're paying $8000 for a 65" TV with near 100% fault rate (black flames on side of TV), mediocre video processing, and poor motion handling.

75X940C has plasma level blacks, best color, motion handling and video processing on market and is 10" more and is guarantee HDR compatible.

Until someone other than LG does OLED, I no longer see it as a viable option.

I wouldn't. You're paying $8000 for a 65" TV with near 100% fault rate (black flames on side of TV), mediocre video processing, and poor motion handling.

75X940C has plasma level blacks, best color, motion handling and video processing on market and is 10" more and is guarantee HDR compatible.

Until someone other than LG does OLED, I no longer see it as a viable option.

Yes well both are moot as they are way out of my price range. As a side note, I've gotta say the 940C is one ugly-looking TV aesthetically.

Pagusas

Elden Member
For that price I'd get a 65" OLED.

PQ will never win out against size, especially in a big room. Its sad (for our pocket books) but very true. You should never settle for a small screen if your area calls for it.

Edit: corrected some terrible spelling errors. got to stop posting from the phone.

PQ will never when out against size, especially in a big room. Its sad (for our pocket books) but very true. You should never settle for a small screen if your area calls for it.

After my failed experiment in buying a larger but crappier TV, I 100% disagree. The size was amazing at first, but once I started watching a movie in a dark room, the only thing I could focus on were the mediocre black levels/uniformity.

Pagusas

Elden Member
After my failed experiment in buying a larger but crappier TV, I 100% disagree. The size was amazing at first, but once I started watching a movie in a dark room, the only thing I could focus on were the mediocre black levels/uniformity.

There is always a level of quality that must be hit for that equation to work. I assume anyone posting in this thread is only considering high end screens.

Like right now I have an 8k budget to work with, I can either try haggling a 78" 9500 Samsung down in price (which I will be doing), settle for a 65" 9500 or settle for a 78" 9000. If the choice came between a 65" 9500 and a 78" 9000, the choice is super easy.

The same goes for OLED. My budget easily fits the 65" Oled, but thats just too small for the space. I'd rather get annoyed with black levels than annoyed with a tiny picture. One can be semi corrected by adding light to the room, the other is a problem with no way of ever helping it.

There is always a level of quality that must be hit for that equation to work. I assume anyone posting in this thread is only considering high end screens.

Like right now I have an 8k budget to work with, I can either try haggling a 78" 9500 Samsung down in price (which I will be doing), settle for a 65" 9500 or settle for a 78" 9000. If the choice came between a 65" 9500 and a 78" 9000, the choice is super easy.

The same goes for OLED. My budget easily fits the 65" Oled, but thats just too small for the space. I'd rather get annoyed with black levels than annoyed with a tiny picture. One can be semi corrected by adding light to the room, the other is a problem with no way of ever helping it.

Again with the insane prices! Yes, if you have an insane budget you can get both size and quality no problem. In my case though I'm basically stuck with my 50" Kuro because in order to get close to its picture quality at 65"+ I'd have to spend a whole lot more than I'm comfortable with.

ApharmdX

Banned
Again with the insane prices! Yes, if you have an insane budget you can get both size and quality no problem. In my case though I'm basically stuck with my 50" Kuro because in order to get close to its picture quality at 65"+ I'd have to spend a whole lot more than I'm comfortable with.

I went from a KRP-500M to a Sony 55W800B in April of this year. Honestly I don't miss my Kuro much at all. You lose the fabulous black levels to be sure, but that's mostly noticeable in absolute darkness. As a living room TV, mine gets a good bit of daytime use. And I no longer have to worry about the kids abusing it as far as burn-in. At only $800, I'm totally satisfied with my Sony.

OLED looks great but it's just not ready. Burn-in, crazy pricing, build quality issues, and then the curved screen that is one of the worst ideas in consumer electronics, ever. I see OLED owners hyping their sets online but actually sitting in front of a curved OLED set in a demo living room, it's immediately obvious how abysmal that really is.

The high-end TV market right now stinks, really. That Sony LCD-LED is probably going to be totally superseded by a great OLED in another model year or two, so not worth a $7k investment, and plasma is gone. It makes me sad.

I went from a KRP-500M to a Sony 55W800B in April of this year. Honestly I don't miss my Kuro much at all. You lose the fabulous black levels to be sure, but that's mostly noticeable in absolute darkness. As a living room TV, mine gets a good bit of daytime use. And I no longer have to worry about the kids abusing it as far as burn-in. At only $800, I'm totally satisfied with my Sony.

OLED looks great but it's just not ready. Burn-in, crazy pricing, build quality issues, and then the curved screen that is one of the worst ideas in consumer electronics, ever. I see OLED owners hyping their sets online but actually sitting in front of a curved OLED set in a demo living room, it's immediately obvious how abysmal that really is.

The high-end TV market right now stinks, really. That Sony LCD-LED is probably going to be totally superseded by a great OLED in another model year or two, so not worth a $7k investment, and plasma is gone. It makes me sad.

Unfortunately most of my TV use is in a dark room, so black level is by far my #1 concern. That said I noticed the mediocre blacks even during the day. Also the viewing angle of LCD TVs is horrendous.

I have the same TV you had, the 500M. I'm really curious why you "upgraded" for only 5 additional inches of screen space. The only thing that would make me upgrade is if I could get ~90% of the Kuro quality at 65"+. For under $3,000.

Wondering if someone could help me out, I'm looking for a tv exclusively for games (console) and blurays. Nothing too big (40" - 43") with a $1500 budget.

ApharmdX

Banned
Unfortunately most of my TV use is in a dark room, so black level is by far my #1 concern. That said I noticed the mediocre blacks even during the day. Also the viewing angle of LCD TVs is horrendous.

I have the same TV you had, the 500M. I'm really curious why you "upgraded" for only 5 additional inches of screen space. The only thing that would make me upgrade is if I could get ~90% of the Kuro quality at 65"+. For under $3,000.

Eh, a lot of it was that I bought my Kuro years ago for a man cave that was always dim or dark. In the living room, my LCD is brighter and has more "pop". I also don't have to worry about image retention; my kids can play their video games to their heart's content. My wife can watch the Food Network with its white logo all evening. The 500M that I owned did have some slight burn-in from Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. I didn't have peace of mind after that.

As a former Kuro owner, there are some things that those sets don't do particularly well. Color gradients aren't as smooth as on a modern LCD. The image is noisier. Granted, these two things only pop up when you are very close, but with good eyesight at a decent viewing distance, you could sometimes be disappointed.

My LCD isn't great but it's "good enough". Viewing angles on the VA panel are pretty good, motion is pretty good, input lag is good, blacks are good enough, backlighting is decently even. After selling my Kuro, my LCD cost next to nothing, and I felt more comfortable with a brand new TV that was almost a "swap" versus a six year old set that could go any time.

If I were looking to spend over $3000 I'd expect a lot more but at a quarter of that, I can tolerate some imperfections. There's just a crappy selection above mid-range where I don't see any desirable products right now, not at the prices that they're at. That's a range where the high-end Panasonic plasmas would have sat, if they were still manufactured, sigh...

Eh, a lot of it was that I bought my Kuro years ago for a man cave that was always dim or dark. In the living room, my LCD is brighter and has more "pop". I also don't have to worry about image retention; my kids can play their video games to their heart's content. My wife can watch the Food Network with its white logo all evening. The 500M that I owned did have some slight burn-in from Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. I didn't have peace of mind after that.

As a former Kuro owner, there are some things that those sets don't do particularly well. Color gradients aren't as smooth as on a modern LCD. The image is noisier. Granted, these two things only pop up when you are very close, but with good eyesight at a decent viewing distance, you could sometimes be disappointed.

My LCD isn't great but it's "good enough". Viewing angles on the VA panel are pretty good, motion is pretty good, input lag is good, blacks are good enough, backlighting is decently even. After selling my Kuro, my LCD cost next to nothing, and I felt more comfortable with a brand new TV that was almost a "swap" versus a six year old set that could go any time.

If I were looking to spend over $3000 I'd expect a lot more but at a quarter of that, I can tolerate some imperfections. There's just a crappy selection above mid-range where I don't see any desirable products right now, not at the prices that they're at. That's a range where the high-end Panasonic plasmas would have sat, if they were still manufactured, sigh...

I see. Yeah, they're not great if you're doing alot of daytime viewing. It is a real shame that everyone stopped making plasmas. I really regret not grabbing a large VT60 when they were going for super cheap.

calder

Don't you guys have bias lighting? I kinda assumed anyone who has a tv in the basement or watches a lot at night would for sure, unless you have a plasma or set with exceptional black levels. IKEA has some perfectly effective LED strips for like $20.

hitgirl

Tried cheap Bias lighting. Didn't like it cause my TV is ISF calibrated. And didn't want to splurge on calibrated lights and have a bunch of extra wires back there..

Don't you guys have bias lighting? I kinda assumed anyone who has a tv in the basement or watches a lot at night would for sure, unless you have a plasma or set with exceptional black levels. IKEA has some perfectly effective LED strips for like $20.

I have bias lighting behind the TV. Doesn't make bad black levels good though. Bias lighting is mainly for minimizing eye fatigue.

Pagusas

Elden Member

yep, it doesn't help black levels that much honestly, and if you have textured walls it can be annoying

Geneijin

Panasonic VT/ZT60 or one of the last-generation Pioneer Elite Kuros (Pro-101FD, Pro-141FD, Pro-111FD, Pro-151FD, PDP-5020FD, PDP-6020FD, KRP-500M, KRP-600M) are what I would consider the "ultimate" consumer-level plasmas. Samsung F8500 is also good especially if your viewing environment is a bit brighter as it has a really good peak brightness for a plasma.
I'm actually in a similar boat. To those looking for the Panasonic ST50/GT50/VT50, how much would you guys paid for a used one locally on craigslist?

J-Rzez

There's certainly room for improvement in OLED. That said, there's a reason review sites peg it as the best out there. Even in VE shootout, the EG9600 won, despite it's issues.

I'm not a fan of the curved panel either, that's where the EF9500 comes into play in the next few weeks.

If I were buying a higher end LED TV today it would be a Sony because they got motion done right, plus they upconvert content better. Samsung has a real jutter issue going on, as does LG to a lesser extent. Those issues can be touched up, but you're dancing a dangerous line of soap opera effect with them. Sony's TVs handle 24p beautifully.

OLED will be the next display tech. It's just a matter of when production can get ramped up. Keep in mind Sony has been tinkering with OLED for years from the XEL-1 to X-series walkmans (I have one and love it), to early Vitas. Also, they won a grammy for their monitors used in production, which are OLEDs.

Their ventures with Panasonic fell through (which sucks) and Sharp isn't a choice because they just sold their TVs out to Hisense. I wish Sony would partner with LG and get it done right.

I'm actually in a similar boat. To those looking for the Panasonic ST50/GT50/VT50, how much would you guys paid for a used one locally on craigslist?

I have a ST50 myself that I bought new. I wouldn't pay more than $300-500 depending on model and condition for one. Face it, they're old. There's a reason I'm retiring mine shortly depending on how the EF9500 pans out vs 930/940C. There's also a reason I'm retiring it from my livingroom to my computer room/bedroom and not selling it though. :)

DD-11

Ive had a ton of time with it in a showroom getting to play with the 78" version and 7100 75". Whats your question on it, may be able to answer?

How does it handle content (movies, games, pc input )?
How's the os?
Are you impressed with it? Is it worth the money?
Does the absence of hdr hurt it by a great deal?

J-Rzez

How's the os?

I can tell you if it was me and was fixed on a Samsung I would throw down the couple extra hundred bucks and get the 8500. Better picture all around (color/contrast) and HDR, and it's not curved. If you're buying a TV for the long haul you should buy something that's not gimped features right here and right now.

Pagusas

Elden Member
How's the os?

Great questions as these were all the things I was testing.

The OS is snappy and easy to us, but a bit ugly (very window'sy look to it). Overall it was the thing I was least concerned about. All the calibration options you want are in there and was more than happy with the options given. I did not care to test apps.

I was honestly very impressed with it given I had a 9500 right next to it. While their were contrast and some "punchiness" differences even after I had them as balanced as I could make them, the differences were minor in a dimmed room. In a dark room things got worse, but if you can control your lighting the black levels arent near as bad as cheaper screens.. Colors were beautiful, and the screen had a very uniform look to it. Grey patters looked super smooth on it. Considering the price difference compared to the 9500 I felt it was a huge bargin. I originally was comparing it to a 70" Vizio for reference, and it blew it out of the water, with the single exception of black level (surprisingly the vizio looked about as good as the 9500 in this regard... pitty its color handling and overall lack of punch kills it, I blame the non-gloss screen). I care alot about black levels (but not enough to buy an OLED yet, as they have other crippling issues that annoy me beyond belief, and Plasmas were never an option for me due to how often I use my screen as a studio monitor for editing)

The absence of HDR is the exact reason I did not buy it (and in the same breath, the lack of local dimming which kills it for me regarding regular non-hdr content, I can live with LCD's black level when using local diming to midigate it some). I sadly had no content to test with so I could not see any comparisons. I've seen HDR demos already though and know its the next "IT" factor for TV's, I wont buy one without it.

So overall, I think its a beautiful screen thats great for a good room with medium lighting. I think you'll be disappointed if you want a screen that will shine in darkness. Also dont buy if you at all care about HDR. I'd consider it a "2 year" screen, meaning if you bought it, buy it to hold you over for 2 years for, as by then some awesome HDR screens will be out.

Edit: forgot about the first question! It handled games great, I do not know the input lag figured but it felt good to me, responsive with no visable delays. Movies (Pirates: World ends) looked great, 24fps was handled correctly and I did not detect any artificial judder. I honestly like putting Samsung screens on "low" for their motion estimators to get rid of the inherent 24fps judder on pans without killing the rest of the film look, and all the screens did perfect at this (another area vizio fell on its face on).

Of all the screens I had in front of me, I'd take Samsungs current line up followed closely by Sony. Sharp, LG and Vizio all were in a tier lower.

I really don't see why you would assume that. Not everyone can afford the highest quality. You might as well assume that everyone will be buying a 4k TV for their PC with a Titan X.

x3sphere

I have absolutely no issues with my OLED 4 months in. Is it worth waiting? Yes, if you are considering the 4K models. I don't think any 4K set is worth jumping on right now with the standards still changing. Still not much content out there either unless you PC game.

The curve ended up not bothering me. I was expecting to hate it, but it ended up being a non-issue.

The only question on OLED is longevity I think but there are many people who've had theirs for a year with no issues. If the EC9300 lasts me 3-4 years I'll be very happy though, by then prices will (hopefully) have fallen considerably and I'll be able to afford a 70"+ 4K OLED.

I use 2 ideal-Lume lights for bias. It helps with perceived contrast. When we watch movies it's usually at night with the only light coming from the bias lighting. It works out well I have it hooked up to my harmony ultimate so when I hit my blu ray activity it turns off the hue lights we have and turns on the bias lighting.

Also a note to those interested some documents from spectra cal for the new series panasonics lists the CZ series which is OLED. Document is here Link

As a current ZT60, 500M and AX800 owner I'm really excited about this.

Russell

PQ will never win out against size, especially in a big room. Its sad (for our pocket books) but very true. You should never settle for a small screen if your area calls for it.
I would take a 32-inch OLED over a 65-inch transmissive display any day of the week. Black level will always be the most important factor in determining which video display is the best. Come to think of it, I would choose a 24-inch display capable of perfect black level over a 70-inch LED. I couldn't care less about size. In fact, the smaller, the better. Superior pixel density. Picture quality is everything.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I would take a 32-inch OLED over a 65-inch transmissive display any day of the week. Black level will always be the most important factor in determining which video display is the best. Come to think of it, I would choose a 24-inch display capable of perfect black level over a 70-inch LED. I couldn't care less about size. In fact, the smaller, the better. Superior pixel density. Picture quality is everything.

That 32" would look really silly in a media room where you are sitting 10 feet away. That 24" would just be ridiculously comical.

Jigolo

Some guy on AVS said there would be new 3 new OLEDs at IFA including the EF9500. He thinks they're an updating version of the EC9300.

So we'll have the EF9500 (flat) and 2 other TV's. An updated EC9300 and a new budget 4k OLED.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...9500-anticipation-thread-26.html#post36448418

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...9500-anticipation-thread-26.html#post36448418

The posts caught my eye because earlier in the day I was reading this: http://www.oled-info.com/lgd-announce-revised-strategy-focused-oleds-next-week

And actually just recently read this today: http://www.oled-info.com/lg-display-considering-expanding-their-oled-tv-production-capacity

Affordable OLED is happening :D

ApharmdX

Banned
OLED will be the next display tech.

Agreed. I'll get in on the OLED train once it's ready, but not before.

The curve ended up not bothering me. I was expecting to hate it, but it ended up being a non-issue.

Are you the only person who watches your set? My wife and I demo'ed a curved OLED and the sweet spot for a curved set at a close-ish viewing distance is pretty small.

Curved sets are absolute garbage unless it's for a single viewer, IMO.

I have a question about 3D Glasses for my new Sony TV.

I just got a 55in Sony Bravia W800C and it doesn't actually come with a pair of active 3D glasses. I want to buy a cheaper pair of Samsung 3d glasses, but I don't know if they'll be compatible with my TV.

I read an article from a few years ago about a Active 3d glasses standard (Full HD 3D) and that Sony was one of the companies planning on being a part of that, but my new TV doesn't have the official sticker of the 3d standard.

Should I just get the cheaper Samsung pair, see if it works, and return it if it doesn't? Or has someone here tried a different brand of active glasses with a newer Sony TV yet?

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I got 55W800B and got 2 pairs with it shouldn't it have got glasses if it was a 3D capable TV?

Plus with Sony's active I remember reading any any active brand will work

gnomed

The newer w800c does not come with any glasses. I believe you will have compatibility issues with a different set of glasses; even with older Sony 3D glasses. Your best bet is to get the Samsungs from a place with a good return policy. And I've read that brand doesn't matter.

I'm still awaiting my w800b myself. Anyone know if a firmware update improved the 3D for the set? I've read conflicting opinions on this.

So I finally picked up the 1080p LG ec930v OLED today, and boy, mixed emotions compared to my GT50...

Black levels are obviously sublime, and overall picture quality is head and shoulders above any other TV I've seen. Contrast is crazy, and even on stuff like the PES demo I can pick out loads of detail that just wasn't there before. No image retention is a huge bonus, input lag in pc mode with speakers disabled is pretty much smack on where my Plasma was, and feed this thing a good blu-ray... ye gods it's incredible at times. Definitely the stuff of the future.

However, and I shouldn't be surprised by this, but motion is utter garbage. Without being able to turn on the de-blur functionality everything looks all sorts of ass whenever the pace kicks up a notch. I didn't realise just how much I'd gotten used to my Plasma in that regard, but boy this stinks.

Why oh why don't more manufacturers try modes like Sony's Motionflow Impulse or Samsung's LED Clear Motion within game modes? Am I missing something or shouldn't they be easy to implement without introducing lag? There's no real processing going on that I'm aware of, just black frames inserted between actual frames of content. Is there some reason why they haven't taken off more?

Any suggested settings for this thing would be appreciated. It's so, so good in every respect apart from that.

I got the Samsung 3D glasses from Best Buy (the cheaper $20 ones) and they totally work on my my new Sony TV! Awesome only having to pay $40 for 2 pairs instead of $100 like it would be for two Sony pairs.

Does anyone here have a TV with the Android TV operating system? I'm trying to find a setting where it will stop automatically returning to the Home Screen after it's been turned off for too long, but I haven't found anything.

It's annoying because I can't control the Android TV interface with my Xfinity remote and it's annoying having to change the input every time I just want to turn the TV and have it return to the last used input. It will do that if I turn it off for a short time, but after a longer wait it always goes to the Home Screen.

torontoml

If there is another thread I should post in, please direct me.

Anyone have suggestions for a sound Bar to use with my ps4 and cable box? I'm willing to spend up to around like $500. What should I be looking for to get the best possible sound?

I'm going with a sound Bar because I won't have a permanent residence for awhile and a sound Bar is much more convenient than a full home theatre.

Brakus

Banned
imageo3uq2.jpg

I have to say I think bias lighting is a god send, I put LED strip lights round my W902, and its probably the best thing I could have done. Without doubt for me it has definitely improved perceived black levels in a dark room, I cant bear not having them on 24/7 tbh.

imageo3uq2.jpg

I have to say I think bias lighting is a god send, I put LED strip lights round my W902, and its probably the best thing I could have done. Without doubt for me it has definitely improved perceived black levels in a dark room, I cant bear not having them on 24/7 tbh.

Loving that setup!! Good work...

Top Bottom