• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

tmdorsey

I bought only the good rated one (deadpool , xmen , Batman v Superman for exemple )
bvS is the worst exemple of good rated bad iq imho. What's the point of uhd 4K if there is such grain over the picture. Useless imho. I have Warcraft as well but I know the uhd is a miss color wise so it doesn't count.
Weirdly one of my best uhd IQ is creed which comes from a 2k. But picture is very crisp

The only one of those close to rated as reference material for 4k is maybe Xmen. Discs that have been mentioned as being references for the format include The Revenant, Sicario, Lucy, Smurfs 2, The Shallows, Pacific Rim, and more recently the new Ghostbusters movie.

I bought only the good rated one (deadpool , xmen , Batman v Superman for exemple )
bvS is the worst exemple of good rated bad iq imho. What's the point of uhd 4K if there is such grain over the picture.
Ugh, I really don't care for people in the same "anti film grain" camp as you. It's a part of the medium. And in today's digital camera age, if it's added, it's the Director's decision and by choice. Removing it can have catastrophic effects to the picture quality and experience. When people like you complain about film grain, we essentially get home video transfers like this. Or this. And, essentially, this.

The only one of those close to rated as reference material for 4k is maybe Xmen. Discs that have been mentioned as being references for the format include The Revenant, Sicario, Lucy, Smurfs 2, The Shallows, Pacific Rim, and more recently the new Ghostbusters movie.
I think BvS makes for great HDR reference because of all the detail on the dark end of the scale. HDR isn't just about melting your eyeballs, after all. It's also about bringing an unprecedented shadow detail and everything in between.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Heh, you joke, but I've discovered that HDMI cable quality DOES matter.

For 1080p? Sure, you can use just about anything, but if you want 4K60 at RGB or 4:4:4, well, you run into limits quickly on both length and quality. A shit cable or one that is too long simply does not work at all.

I went through 4 or 5 cables before finding one that actually works properly. Annoying.

Oh no doubt. Completely agreed.
I stopped buying random Chinese HDMI cables long ago.

You should definitely buy from a reputable brand, though it should still not be expensive.

Tonidayo

So in summary, today what are the top 2 choices one should consider for investing in a TV for maximizing PS4 Pro benefits ?

f@luS

More than a member.
AFAIK you should never yse dynamic contrast.
That's what I always thought. And all non hdr content I have it off. But in hdr content without it it's too dim and bright. I've looked online and we talked about it here a bit and it's better with for hdr at least on oled and I expect on other tv as well

I believe the TV defaults to Medium dynamic contrast when it detects HDR
Depend of the mode on Lg oled , the vivid has it automatically on high after I tested. You can't change it. I use hdr bright with dynamic on for games (and trumotion off ) and hdr standard with dynamic contrast on and trumotion off (and a little bit warmer picture ) for UHD movies.

Fuck that. Got tired of this never use. I will use what my eyes tell me what's look great.

Dynamic contrast on medium all the way.
Eyes are the best test anyway. If you would only follow online setups you need to love yellow piss picture. Just use what you like most

Anarion07

I'm quite intrigued by the LG B6D.
55 inch is around 2,3k Euros in Germany but the 65 inch is 4k... I mean. What.

Any chance this goes to 2,5 with black Friday sales?
And even more important: any bad experiences with the b6d?

pswii60

55 seems way too dim to me on my B6. In HDR it sets itself to 100 but usually I have it on about 78.

C6 (and presumably E6) are brighter than the B6. I know this because I had a B6 for 3 months which I recently swapped for the C6 - primarily due to the HDR stutter issue. And the C6 is noticeably brighter and I have the OLED light on 60 whereas I had it on 80 on my B6.

Note the C6 shares the same SoC (and firmware) as the E6. Other things I've noticed moving to the C6 is that games feel so much better and more responsive (likely due to the lower lag) and the near-blacks are much cleaner and less blocky when testing the same scenes - a night and day difference, especially when comparing the church scene in Daredevil episode 1, which my B6 made a mess of.
I'm quite intrigued by the LG B6D.
55 inch is around 2,3k Euros in Germany but the 65 inch is 4k... I mean. What.

Any chance this goes to 2,5 with black Friday sales?
And even more important: any bad experiences with the b6d?
The B6 is a great TV. SDR input lag is a little high but tolerable unless you're mega competitive. There is also a stutter issue with HDR/24p content, but LG is currently working on a fix. Personally, if you don't mind the curve, I'd go for the C6. It's the same price as the B6 but offers lower input lag, 3D, a cleaner image, better near-black performance and it's a little brighter too. It also shares the same SoC and firmware as the E6, so you know you're going to get the best firmware updates in line with their main OLED model.

Probably worth noting, before I swapped my B6 to the C6, I initially swapped it for an E6, but I was unlucky as it had a green stain across the top half of the screen which was obvious on a white screen. But I decided to go for the C6 instead of a straight swap for another E6, not just because it saved me a few hundred quid, but mainly because I hated the design of the E6 when it was actually in my living room. I felt the integrated soundbar was really ugly (like a radiator from the 70s) and I much prefered the floating design of the B6 and C6, especially with my bias backlighting.

I watched The Babadook last night on Netflix. While watching it I was thinking that all of the black and grays in the movie makes for a fantastic showcase title. I am still utterly floored/amazing/befuddled at the P-Series' inky blacks (P65-C1 here). I never, not in a 100 years, would have expected that from an LED, FALD or otherwise. And all of you OLED owners have another title to show off your 0 emission blacks!

Dave_6

Preview of the OPPO-203. This will be mine.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/oppo-udp-203-review

Damn, definitely more expensive than their previous 'base' players. I want one but I'm going to have to think about it at that price. I'm still rocking a BDP-83 that I bought new years ago. Granted I don't even have a 4K display yet but I'm working towards it.

Sony really screwed me when they announced that the PS4 Pro will not play UHD discs :(

The Oppo will be worth every damn penny most likely. Having owned a BDP-93 which I sold a week before they showed the 203, and still owning a 103D, I cannot wait to the Oppo 203 and get rid of this trash Samsung UHD player.

C6 (and presumably E6) are brighter than the B6. I know this because I had a B6 for 3 months which I recently swapped for the C6 - primarily due to the HDR stutter issue. And the C6 is noticeably brighter and I have the OLED light on 60 whereas I had it on 80 on my B6.

Note the C6 shares the same SoC (and firmware) as the E6. Other things I've noticed moving to the C6 is that games feel so much better and more responsive (likely due to the lower lag) and the near-blacks are much cleaner and less blocky when testing the same scenes - a night and day difference, especially when comparing the church scene in Daredevil episode 1, which my B6 made a mess of.

The B6 is a great TV. SDR input lag is a little high but tolerable unless you're mega competitive. There is also a stutter issue with HDR/24p content, but LG is currently working on a fix. Personally, if you don't mind the curve, I'd go for the C6. It's the same price as the B6 but offers lower input lag, 3D, a cleaner image, better near-black performance and it's a little brighter too. It also shares the same SoC and firmware as the E6, so you know you're going to get the best firmware updates in line with their main OLED model.

Bolded is misinformed/speculation, in that order.

Cleaner image is due to panel lottery, better near-black performance is too, and B6 is actually often (again, panel lottery) brighter due to the panel not having the additional layer needed for 3D.

The firmware part is speculation, as is the theory that C6 and E6 share a SoC but the B6 does not. The difference in input lag is still unexplained, unfortunately. There's no real logic to it. For instance, 4K HDR input lag is still superior on the B6.

ukas

The Oppo will be worth every damn penny most likely. Having owned a BDP-93 which I sold a week before they showed the 203, and still owning a 103D, I cannot wait to the Oppo 203 and get rid of this trash Samsung UHD player.

I am kind of surprised that there are no streaming apps on it. It's not really a big deal considering everything you really need is already on your TV.

What is so trash about the Samsung player? Or is this just familiar internet hyperbole?

The Oppo will be worth every red cent, for certain. However, the lack of streaming app support is making me rethink it as future purchase.

Kyoufu

What is so trash about the Samsung player? Or is this just familiar internet hyperbole?

The Oppo will be worth every red cent, for certain. However, the lack of streaming app support is making me rethink it as future purchase.

Our TVs have all the streaming apps we need so I don't see the point in other devices having them.

Our TVs have all the streaming apps we need so I don't see the point in other devices having them.
Well, that's more of a personal preference than anything else, so I'm not understanding where the collective "our" and "we" are coming from. And my personal preference is to have everything all in one device. I loathe switching between different devices to juggle apps.

Tonidayo

Guys i've decided to purchase my 4KTV this friday. I ended up having the choice between the LG E6 65" and the Samsung KS9000 / KS8000.

As a futur owner of PS4 Pro, which of the 2 should i purchase?

Additional note : Will playing Wipeout HD via connecting my PS3 to any of these TVs have any lag problems ?

Jigolo

Guys i've decided to purchase my 4KTV this friday. I ended up having the choice between the LG E6 65" and the Samsung KS9000 / KS8000.

As a futur owner of PS4 Pro, which of the 2 should i purchase?

Additional note : Will playing Wipeout HD via connecting my PS3 to any of these TVs have any lag problems ?
LG E6

Question for dark10x or anyone else with experience can chime in.

I know you have an Oled tv and after watching your DF Retro video on Silent Hill 2( great video BTW) you mentioned using a framemeister with the game.

How are you finding the framemeister working with the LG Oled? Any quirks or lag issues? Issues with other, older consoles?

Thanks!

Nipo

Chromecast Ultra paired with Google Home has potential to be the best thing anyway. Voice Support, HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

I am kind of surprised that there are no streaming apps on it. It's not really a big deal considering everything you really need is already on your TV.

Yeah I do not use it for streaming apps I do believe update 1008 added netflix I think, I have to confirm though. I just use my TV's built in apps.

I think they added some in update 1008 and added HDR to them but I don't use it so I haven't looked honestly.

The Samsung player is fast, very fast. Faster than any of my Oppo, but the unit is plagued with handshake issues. The disc tray is loud and rickety, the remote is awful, as well as the UI and interface when playing a movie. It's not intuitive.

Brhoom

Banned
It was sold out... last unit in my country...

The same size B6 model costs more than double at +3000$...

It's all for the better, next year I guess :)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
From avsforum.com

Received this today after my request to Lg support.

Good afternoon Matteo,

Thank you for your email query, I hope you are well today.

I have had a look into this further for you and I do apologise in regards to the issue. I can actually confirm after listening to the feedback we are going to release a software update to allow HDR in game mode. We are currently investigating this and hopefully this will be released shortly.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-input-lag-update-confirmed.html#post47560161

The_Spaniard

Netmarble

super-excited.gif

I don't put too much stock into news provided by random dudes working at LG Support, but if true, that's wonderful news.

Current state of Dolby Vision if anyone is interested.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1476785397

Thanks, I am! So interested, I linked it in a 4K UHD-player focused thread elsewhere.

The Samsung player is fast, very fast. Faster than any of my Oppo, but the unit is plagued with handshake issues. The disc tray is loud and rickety, the remote is awful, as well as the UI and interface when playing a movie. It's not intuitive.
The UI definitely sucks. Especially app management. I can't speak on the remote, as I am a Harmony user.

Thankfully, though, I have not had any handshake issues. Those are the worst! All of this HDCP serves us, the consumer, nothing but headaches. Oy vey!

That's pretty discouraging. The premier standard carried by budget brands (beside LG).
I'd say you should do more reading up on Vizio. They are trying very hard to shed their "Wal-Mart brand" status. And they're making great gains, too! Trust me, you're not the only one shocked. :p

I'd say you should do more reading up on Vizio. They are trying very hard to shed their "Wal-Mart brand" status. And they're making great gains, too! Trust me, you're not the only one shocked. :p

Yeah. LG and Vizio are pretty much making the top TV's right now. If Samsung was on board with Dolby Vision, we'd have the top 3 manufacturers backing it.

The UI definitely sucks. Especially app management. I can't speak on the remote, as I am a Harmony user.

Thankfully, though, I have not had any handshake issues. Those are the worst! All of this HDCP serves us, the consumer, nothing but headaches. Oy vey!

Yeah I use a Harmony Elite and I also have a Savant remote, though there are specific times when I use the standard remotes.

The HDCP issue that people have come across is not what I'm experiencing. I'm experiencing the issue where on boot it gives a black screen and keeps flipping back and forth between no signal and 4K.

All of my devices support HDCP 2.2, and HDMI 2.0a. I figured it was the cables so I have been through BJC Silverbacks, and a few others. A decent amount spent on cables trying to get it functioning properly but it's a crap shoot as to when it happens.

Have a 65 E6P and an Anthem MRX 1120. all of which supports everything I need. from my research it's hit and miss what people experience, and the issues I've come across others have as well. Maybe not as widespread granted but it's there.

This is why I call it trash lol. Just waiting for Oppo to save me, to save us all.

Too bad the Xbox One S doesn't pass Atmos correctly. I would just use that for the time being.

Top Bottom