• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

GreekWolf

Yeah, I was ready to pull the trigger on a B6 last week until I saw that youtube video with the ABL almost completely dimming the Google homepage. I'm sure that was a drastic example which probably won't happen with the majority of content, but I personally value a consistent, bright, colorful image over a perfect black level.

I thnk the KS8000 will better suit my tastes, but certainly recognize that OLED is technically the superior tech.

SOLDIER

Yeah, I was ready to pull the trigger on a B6 last week until I saw that youtube video with the ABL almost completely dimming the Google homepage. I'm sure that was a drastic example which probably won't happen with the majority of content, but I personally value a consistent, bright, colorful image over a perfect black level.

I thnk the KS8000 will better suit my tastes, but certainly recognize that OLED is technically the superior tech.

People also have different tolerances. This might not mean anything to some people the same way an LED's peak brightness might be preferable to others.

For me, an inconsistent picture is nightmarish and unacceptable. The TV is clearly not smart enough to know when to dim a picture or not, because you get examples like Goku emiting a glowing aura when he powers up and the OLED deciding "Nope! Too bright for you!"

It really would be wonderful if they just made ABL an option and not a requirement, but that's not looking to happen.

And you know, it's not like the KS8000 is crappy by comparison. There's a reason people mention these two sets over any other.

Afrikan

SOLDIER, I thought you had already made up your mind and you were going to get the Samsung?

Don't take too long, you might pass your return date deadline.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That youtube video is weird, I don't have sound on so I don't know if they are explaining stuff, but apparently they are increasing and reducing a video's displayed size back and forth to show the difference, which doesn't seem like a good real use case display of the problem. Also why is Goku's background turning from Orange to straight up Red?

holygeesus

Banned
That youtube video is weird, I don't have sound on so I don't know if they are explaining stuff, but apparently they are increasing and reducing a video's displayed size back and forth to show the difference, which doesn't seem like a good real use case display of the problem. Also why is Goku's background turning from Orange to straight up Red?

The camera's auto-focus also makes the demonstration as un-scientific as you can get. I have put thousands of hours into my B6, with animation, gaming and everything in between and never noticed it.

Weevilone

Beside the ks8000 and the lg oled, what guys can you recommend for a TV show, movie and sports viewing only? At least 60".

If you are looking at a lot of multi-use stuff I'd personally look at Sony because the processing is so good. I have a couple year old Sony with IPS panel because ambient lighting is high and I needed really good viewing angles. Naturally the blacks are awful, but it does everything else really well.

Trojita

The Beard

I've watched a ton of hockey on mine, more than anything so far. Again, with contrast and OLED light set properly it isn't an issue. It's sure as hell better than the crowd being a gray mass because an edge-lit display can't have the ice white and still properly display anything outside the playing surface. It's even better than the FALD set I had, because the backlighting algorithm would get confused during hockey.

Which model do you have? Do you get any image retention from the static scorebox?

SOLDIER

SOLDIER, I thought you had already made up your mind and you were going to get the Samsung?

Don't take too long, you might pass your return date deadline.

I do have the KS8000. I have a potential buyer for the OLED (can't return it since Adorama's policy restricts TV returns past a certain size), and if successful I'll make back exactly what I spent on it.

Just bummed about the ABL thing as it would have been the ideal TV if not for that. The KS8000 is great too, but I wanted to like the OLED.

The Beard

Is there a TV with full array lightning, OLED, HDR10, 4:4:4 colour, WCG, and all low input lag with this all turned on in game mode? Is there such a dream tv on the horizon at CES?

Are you asking if there's an OLED with full array back lighting?

That will never exist.

Lexxism

If you are looking at a lot of multi-use stuff I'd personally look at Sony because the processing is so good. I have a couple year old Sony with IPS panel because ambient lighting is high and I needed really good viewing angles. Naturally the blacks are awful, but it does everything else really well.
Hmm. I'm actually thinking of getting a Sony tv but I don't know which one to take.

Having just transitioned from an ISF-calibrated KS9800 to a C6, I thought I'd weigh in on the ABL issue.

In my experience, unless a majority of your viewing habits consist of watching the Google homepage or you're used to a picture that is brighter than it objectively should be, you're not going to notice it. I've watched and played a number of things on the C6 (including anime), and never did I wish the image was brighter. Even super bright and colorful games like The Witness are just as bright on the C6 as they were on the calibrated KS9800. Of course the KS9800/8000 can get significantly brighter, but I'd rather not melt my eyeballs.

I can only assume that SOLDIER is used to watching a TV configured to be significantly brighter than reference.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Having just transitioned from an ISF-calibrated KS9800 to a C6, I thought I'd weigh in on the ABL issue.

In my experience, unless a majority of your viewing habits consist of watching the Google homepage or you're used to a picture that is brighter than it objectively should be, you're not going to notice it. I've watched and played a number of things on the C6 (including anime), and never did I wish the image was brighter. Even super bright and colorful games like The Witness are just as bright on the C6 as they were on the calibrated KS9800. Of course the KS9800/8000 can get significantly brighter, but I'd rather not melt my eyeballs.

I can only assume that SOLDIER is used to watching a TV configured to be significantly brighter than reference.
Concurred.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

thirded

x3sphere

Haven't noticed any ABL issues either in actual content. In fact FFXV in HDR is super bright on my C6, I actually had to turn down my OLED light to 50-60 even with dynamic contrast off.

Also, awesome to hear they fixed the input lag in HDR.

Insane Metal

Gold Member

And the KS only has 1400 nits.

Imagine the proposed 10,000 nits TVs. lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Soldier mentioned he is the type of person that has his phone screens on maximum brightness all the time. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

So you're probably right.

sunshine-danny-boyle-movie.jpg

Fourthed.

Zero issue with regard to ABL across a wide range of content.

Trojita

I would have never once considered a curved screen before, but you guys are making me question that maybe I should get a C6. I would like the 3D, which apparently you can only get with the step up flat display with only marginal improvements to the pq. Curved monitors, especially with ultrawide resolutions, are great and after trying one I'm a believer in them. You hardly notice the actual curve on the monitor I own, PC's are usually only used by one person at a time, and your face is close to the monitor.

But then again 98% of the time the content I consume on my TV is just me using the tv, so making sure I have a perfect seating position might just require proper placement of a sofa.

Then there is the whole geometry debate. It's not the exact same of course since geometry obsessed people on CRT's had reasons to want better geometry while curved TV's have an actual physical curve.

Rodin

Now you are making me scared to buy one of these OLEDS because I play video games and watch anime.

Don't be. Both games and anime look insane on OLED and i use the EG9100, ABL on 2016 models is even less intrusive and the current sets look even better all around. I think he might be particularly sensitive about this, while i barely notice it (except on white bright screen, where it's more noticeable but not that big of an issue), but you're considering passing on the best TVs you can buy right now because of something that may not even be a problem. LED TVs have their big cons too, much much bigger than OLED's.

Afrikan

I would have never once considered a curved screen before, but you guys are making me question that maybe I should get a C6. I would like the 3D, which apparently you can only get with the step up flat display with only marginal improvements to the pq. Curved monitors, especially with ultrawide resolutions, are great and after trying one I'm a believer in them. You hardly notice the actual curve on the monitor I own, PC's are usually only used by one person at a time, and your face is close to the monitor.

But then again 98% of the time the content I consume on my TV is just me using the tv, so making sure I have a perfect seating position might just require proper placement of a sofa.

Then there is the whole geometry debate. It's not the exact same of course since geometry obsessed people on CRT's had reasons to want better geometry while curved TV's have an actual physical curve.

yeah like it's been said, the curve is very subtle.

oled65c6p_alt2.jpg

Also, I don't think you have to worry about seating position.

The Beard

I have the 55E5P.

I haven't noticed any image retention if it's there. I don't go out of my way looking for it or anything, years of owning plasmas taught me that.

After doing a little bit of research, it seems to be like Plasma all over again. Some claim, "IR? Lol what is that? It's a thing of the past." While others experience IR left and right. I would love to own a 4K OLED, but I'm very hesitant after I was lied to about Plasma.

Before I bought my VT60 a few years ago I was told over and over about how IR was a thing of the past, and you'd only get it if you abused the TV and left a static image on the screen for 8+ hours. In reality, if there's an image that's even remotely white on my screen for more than 5 seconds my VT60 will retain it for a minute+. It's really annoying while watching movies because brightly colored objects get carried over into the next scene. I have my Contrast set to like 60%.

I've fallen in love with the deep uniform blacks, but I might end up waiting for Sony to perfect its backlight dimming tech that's in the Z9.

Weevilone

After doing a little bit of research, it seems to be like Plasma all over again. I would love to own a 4K OLED, but I'm very hesitant after I was lied to about Plasma.

Before I bought my VT60 a few years ago I was told over and over about how IR was a thing of the past, and you'd only get it if you abused the TV and left a static image on the screen for 8+ hours. In reality, if there's an image that's even remotely white on my screen for more than 5 seconds my VT60 will retain it for a minute+. It's really annoying while watching movies because brightly colored objects get carried over into the next scene. I have my Contrast set to like 60%.

I think you are confusing two different things. Most of the talk about plasma was in regard to permanent damage resulting from uneven wear. The later models were incredibly resistant to this, and I never saw any on my Pioneer Kuro. Temporary image retention in plasma displays results from residual electrical charge that resides in the cells. This dissipates quickly (some better than others) and is nothing to worry about, unless as you say it's something you notice frequently. I don't think people lied about this so much as people didn't understand the technology. There were two different phenomena in play, one resulting from uneven wear and one resulting from charge.

I haven't had my OLED enough to comment with any certainty, but sure if it's something that you find bothersome then steer clear. I haven't noticed it on my E6 so far.

I will say as an aside, I bought my mom 2 Panasonic plasma displays just before they went away. Both are more susceptible to temporary IR than my Kuro was. I literally never saw anything on the Kuro. I remember sweating this on my old RPTV, then again with plasma. In both cases it was just wasted concern.

Rodin

After doing a little bit of research, it seems to be like Plasma all over again. Some claim, "IR? Lol what is that? It's a thing of the past." While others experience IR left and right. I would love to own a 4K OLED, but I'm very hesitant after I was lied to about Plasma.

I've fallen in love with the deep uniform blacks, but I might end up waiting for Sony to perfect its backlight dimming tech that's in the Z9.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/fea...creen-burn-in-problems-causes-image-retention

SOLDIER

I won't deny it, but I also tried it the "right" way for over 2 weeks and just couldn't get used to it.

Since I've gone and tinkered with the KS8000 in various, less torch-heavy ways, I'll take another look at my E6 before I sell it, but I suspect there's still a peak brightness level that I prefer that the set does not deliver (or restricts because of the ABL).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I would just like to say that after the past few days with the LGB6 55" I remain impressed. I've played games, watched blu rays, 4k blu rays, anime blu rays, anime dvds and streaming and I continue to be impressed. My favorite OVA Gunbuster has never looked so good. So, this TV has been awesome.

I want to watch everything I own all over again.

Just updated to the latest firmware for the E6 (had to do it manually, though, it wouldn't find it via the online updater).

I'm impressed. The HDR Game Mode seems to be the HDR Standard mode with more options turned off (e.g. RealCinema is forced off, when it was forced on in HDR Standard). Calibrated to match my HDR Standard settings, HDR Game Mode looks pretty much exactly the same. If there are substantial latency differences, I'll be extremely pleased. I was expecting a kind of half-way HDR Game Mode, whereby it never looks quite as good as the "normal" modes due to turning high-cost processing off, but it looks exactly the same to me.

I was "fine" with the latency before (playing Uncharted 4 Multiplayer to test it out, it never felt too "off"), so if it's really improved here it should remove one of the main reasons people steer away from these fantastic OLED sets.

I haven't played around with it too much, and I don't have any way to get concrete proof or anything, but my initial impressions are positive. Placebo or not, I can't be sure, but I can say that the audio-slightly-out-of-sync issue I had in 4K HDR videos is now resolved, at the very least.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

There is definitely IR that happens on OLED TVs with certain images. I think actually burning-in an OLED is very very difficult but IR does occur. Just throwing that out there.

As for plasmas, well, I think that depends a LOT of which plasma. The last generation Pioneer Kuro plasmas were basically bulletproof in this regard. You could leave images on for hours without any issues.

Samsung plasmas, however, were horribly susceptible to IR and Panasonic wasn't great either. It was always an issue for many types of plasmas but not all.

So it's a difficult thing to talk about in regards to OLED. There have been some instances where I DID notice an after-image but it doesn't really seem to work quite like plasma in that regard. I feel like this is something you'd have to experience for yourself before deciding.

I will say this - when capturing content for DF I often use my TV and sometimes mistakenly turn away with a static image on screen while I make edits on my PC. I've left it there for a while with no consequence.

...but then there might be some icon in a menu that shows up after a short period of time. It's a weird thing.

If you are dead set on never EVER seeing an after image, though, then you should probably look elsewhere.

The Beard

I think you are confusing two different things. Most of the talk about plasma was in regard to permanent damage resulting from uneven wear. The later models were incredibly resistant to this, and I never saw any on my Pioneer Kuro. Temporary image retention in plasma displays results from residual electrical charge that resides in the cells. This dissipates quickly (some better than others) and is nothing to worry about, unless as you say it's something you notice frequently. I don't think people lied about this so much as people didn't understand the technology. There were two different phenomena in play, one resulting from uneven wear and one resulting from charge.

I haven't had my OLED enough to comment with any certainty, but sure if it's something that you find bothersome then steer clear. I haven't noticed it on my E6 so far.

I will say as an aside, I bought my mom 2 Panasonic plasma displays just before they went away. Both are more susceptible to temporary IR than my Kuro was. I literally never saw anything on the Kuro. I remember sweating this on my old RPTV, then again with plasma. In both cases it was just wasted concern.

I know the difference between IR and Burn-in. IR is temporary, and burn in is permanent. I looked at plenty of "professional reviews", and specifically asked people on AVS forums about the Panasonic VT and ZT, and read dozens of responses about IR. All of them pretty much said, IR wasn't really an issue anymore. They said IR is almost non existent, and there's no reason to worry about Burn-in nowadays. They were full of shit when it comes to IR, and I'm too afraid to watch certain channels with lightning-white channel logos for more than an hour or 2, especially multiple days a week, because I don't want to risk burn-in.

The model they tested sounds like my VT60, except their OLED might be a little more resistant to IR.

IR from 1 hour of a static image is totally acceptable but it sucks when you're watching a movie and it cuts from a brightly lit object that was onscreen for 10-15 seconds, to a shot of a blue sky and you can still see the object across the blue background (for example).

Afrikan

Just updated to the latest firmware for the E6 (had to do it manually, though, it wouldn't find it via the online updater).

I'm impressed. The HDR Game Mode seems to be the HDR Standard mode with more options turned off (e.g. RealCinema is forced off, when it was forced on in HDR Standard). Calibrated to match my HDR Standard settings, HDR Game Mode looks pretty much exactly the same. If there are substantial latency differences, I'll be extremely pleased. I was expecting a kind of half-way HDR Game Mode, whereby it never looks quite as good as the "normal" modes due to turning high-cost processing off, but it looks exactly the same to me.

I was "fine" with the latency before (playing Uncharted 4 Multiplayer to test it out, it never felt too "off"), so if it's really improved here it should remove one of the main reasons people steer away from these fantastic OLED sets.

I haven't played around with it too much, and I don't have any way to get concrete proof or anything, but my initial impressions are positive. Placebo or not, I can't be sure, but I can say that the audio-slightly-out-of-sync issue I had in 4K HDR videos is now resolved, at the very least.

my friend... we are set for a while.

but I've said that before....lol.. but I actually think, this time it may be the case.

But God knows what will pop up in a couple of years.

The Beard

There is definitely IR that happens on OLED TVs with certain images. I think actually burning-in an OLED is very very difficult but IR does occur. Just throwing that out there.

As for plasmas, well, I think that depends a LOT of which plasma. The last generation Pioneer Kuro plasmas were basically bulletproof in this regard. You could leave images on for hours without any issues.

Samsung plasmas, however, were horribly susceptible to IR and Panasonic wasn't great either. It was always an issue for many types of plasmas but not all.

So it's a difficult thing to talk about in regards to OLED. There have been some instances where I DID notice an after-image but it doesn't really seem to work quite like plasma in that regard. I feel like this is something you'd have to experience for yourself before deciding.

I will say this - when capturing content for DF I often use my TV and sometimes mistakenly turn away with a static image on screen while I make edits on my PC. I've left it there for a while with no consequence.

...but then there might be some icon in a menu that shows up after a short period of time. It's a weird thing.

If you are dead set on never EVER seeing an after image, though, then you should probably look elsewhere.

Thanks. I've heard the Kuro's were great as far as IR goes. Hopefully OLED will have its own "Kuro" model at some point. I'll just wait it out. My VT60 still looks awesome, it's just the almost instantaneous IR that bugs me.

holygeesus

Banned
Thanks. I've heard the Kuro's were great as far as IR goes. Hopefully OLED will have its own "Kuro" model at some point. I'll just wait it out. My VT60 still looks awesome, it's just the almost instantaneous IR that bugs me.

It seems that IR and burn in aren't exactly quantifiable terms, as I managed to burn in my Kuro.

These 2016 OLEDs do suffer pretty bad from IR. Leave a static image on and it will stay for a while, but you will *never* get burn in with them, as the compensation cycle performed, when they are turned off, eliminates any possibility of it in normal usage.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
IR from 1 hour of a static image is totally acceptable but it sucks when you're watching a movie and it cuts from a brightly lit object that was onscreen for 10-15 seconds, to a shot of a blue sky and you can still see the object across the blue background (for example).

That sounds like an unfortunate panel to be honest.
I have a VT60, and yeah, I get IR easily when the set first turns on (first 15 or so minutes), and with various logos when left on for a while.

But the scenario you described above... nothing like that.

DomLando

I picked up a 65 inch Samsung KS8000. Waiting to have Cable and internet hooked up in my new home so I haven't been able to play around with the TV yet. My question is, how is this TV for sports viewing and playing games at 30 FPS? I have been reading motion on Samsung TVs aren't that great and there is judder when playing a game at 30FPS or watching fast paced sports. Is that true? I would have to go a different route if motion is going to be a huge problem.

Marmelade

I have a VT60, and yeah, I get IR easily when the set first turns on (first 15 or so minutes), and with various logos when left on for a while.

I have a ST60 and the same experience as you.
Nothing as awful as what The Beard describes, that would drive me crazy.

Evo X

After 2 weeks of ownership, I've got to say I am extremely happy with my LG C6.

It's the best bargain of the lineup IMO. Same price as the B6, but comes with a faster processor and the best 3D I have witnessed in my life.

I don't care for the soundbars in the E6 and G6 as I have a far superior surround sound setup already.

The curve is barely noticeable and I have no issues with off angle viewing.

Bar none, the best tv I have ever owned. After this HDR Game Mode update, I can't really think of any glaring flaws. It's been a pleasure watching old beloved content on it, and discovering new stuff in 4K HDR. Worth every penny.

If you are on the fence, don't hesitate.

f@luS

More than a member.

how do you update manually ? I'm in EU and can't find the firmware did you try hdcp issue for PS4 if it's fixed ?

I have an older Sony LCD KDL 52W4100

Hard to say how you will perceive it. I came from an old SXRD rear-projection and low-framerate content just inherently looks worse on a flat-panel to me (LCD or Plasma) but I'm getting used to it. Since you were on an LCD before it may not be a problem. I think older TVs in general were better at dealing with low-quality sources than modern sets are.

DomLando

Hard to say how you will perceive it. I came from an old SXRD rear-projection and low-framerate content just inherently looks worse on a flat-panel to me (LCD or Plasma) but I'm getting used to it. Since you were on an LCD before it may not be a problem. I think older TVs in general were better at dealing with low-quality sources than modern sets are.

I guess I'll just set it up and see how I feel. I can return it up until Jan 15th so I have time. Thanks for your input though. I appreciate it.

The Beard

I have a ST60 and the same experience as you.
Nothing as awful as what The Beard describes, that would drive me crazy.

I might have a bad/worse panel than you guys but it's certainly not a rare problem with these sets. AVS is full of reports that mirror mine.

It's weird because for the first 3-6 months or so it was much better. It could easily go 30min on the same channel without retaining the white channel logo. Then out of nowhere the IR became ridiculous. Even after warm up, all it takes is 7-10 seconds of white and it's gonna hang for a little while. It's not like I have the Contrast set to 90+ either. It's at 68 I believe.

Top Bottom