• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

SomTervo

Lol, just had my best roll yet (2 ARs - one with full auto, a 4x scope, level 2 body and head armour, plenty first aid, 2x grenades) and was totally killing it Mad Max style, thwarting people who were trying seriously hard to chase me down (lost two of them and killed another two).

Then there I am, feeling like a badass, flying along on a motorbike I just stole from a guy, two ARs on my back, rollicking through a forest to a strategic point on the safety-circle... when I crest a hill at near max speed, it turns out to have an immediate dead drop, I soar 25 feet in the air towards a tree, narrowly miss it, flip upside down, come off the bike and die immediately.

I'd be livid if I wasn't lmao

Edit: making for a remote place and keeping an eye out for a vehicle on the way down seems to really help one's odds. Then also travelling for the most 'out of the way' part of the safe circle whenever it reduces.

The only problem is you tend to encounter people as savvy as you are...

Grexeno

Almost won a game, but got #2 instead. Wonder if I should have been more aggressive instead of hiding in a building till the end.

Smokey

First time playing in a month +. Have there been any optimization patches recently? I'm running it at Medium settings, 2560x1440, and my GPU was never at 100%? Getting fps in like the 50s. Using a 6 core proc too.

iosefe

i know i'ts not particularly related, but i figure a fair amount of you played h1Z1 when that was popular.

if you're looking to gain money for the sale and have the King of The Kill version of the Muraruder box in your steam inventory, it sells for a fair bit on the market, over 4 bucks, close to 5.

brentech

First time playing in a month +. Have there been any optimization patches recently? I'm running it at Medium settings, 2560x1440, and my GPU was never at 100%? Getting fps in like the 50s. Using a 6 core proc too.

There was a patch last month for the client. Next week there is a server patch.
Game still doesn't run fantastic (100+), but most settings do little to nothing in terms of improving the IQ so I keep everything on very low except textures.
Basically these settings from TSM_Viss. I don't do screen scale, but everything else is the same.
I6EEvgq.png

Jump into the MGAF discord sometime, bunch of us play every night.

i know i'ts not particularly related, but i figure a fair amount of you played h1Z1 when that was popular.

if you're looking to gain money for the sale and have the King of The Kill version of the Muraruder box in your steam inventory, it sells for a fair bit on the market, over 4 bucks, close to 5.

Yeah I sold mine when they were worth like 2 dollars. My friend has about 100 dollars worth of them though. Not too sad though thanks to the scrap I gained from event tickets I got enough scarp to craft 150$ worth of items I sold on OP skins. H1Z1 paid for my gaming all year so far.

Grassy

Lol, just had my best roll yet (2 ARs - one with full auto, a 4x scope, level 2 body and head armour, plenty first aid, 2x grenades) and was totally killing it Mad Max style, thwarting people who were trying seriously hard to chase me down (lost two of them and killed another two).

Then there I am, feeling like a badass, flying along on a motorbike I just stole from a guy, two ARs on my back, rollicking through a forest to a strategic point on the safety-circle... when I crest a hill at near max speed, it turns out to have an immediate dead drop, I soar 25 feet in the air towards a tree, narrowly miss it, flip upside down, come off the bike and die immediately.

I'd be livid if I wasn't lmao

Edit: making for a remote place and keeping an eye out for a vehicle on the way down seems to really help one's odds. Then also travelling for the most 'out of the way' part of the safe circle whenever it reduces.

The only problem is you tend to encounter people as savvy as you are...

I'm going to make a compilation video of all my motorbike deaths as there's so many of them...I'll never learn. It's always when I have a level 3 helmet, silenced AR and sniper with 8x scope and tons of ammo, plenty of first-aid kits, painkillers etc. and I die to a small mound of dirt.

ultron87

Just had 9 kills in a Duo game where my partner died super early. I feel as a god.

In solo these last few days I've been trying to just drop exclusively in busy zones to get better at shooting. This might be helping?

Smokey

There was a patch last month for the client. Next week there is a server patch.
Game still doesn't run fantastic (100+), but most settings do little to nothing in terms of improving the IQ so I keep everything on very low except textures.
Basically these settings from TSM_Viss. I don't do screen scale, but everything else is the same.
I6EEvgq.png

Jump into the MGAF discord sometime, bunch of us play every night.

I'm using all Medium and got much better performance once the game started. That opening area was pretty bad though.

There is no more thrilling feeling than being trapped on military base with every building taken and all you have is a SCAR with 30 rounds, then you make a dash across no man's land, you find that bike that zoomed past 5 minutes ago having killed its driver, said driver has all the good shit you need, you zoom across a seemingly troll free bridge only to get popped by a guy with an SKS near the end, but survive and drive that fucker into a garage to heal up.

Then as you prepare to leave you get shot by someone who was camping outside your building and ran up without ever making any noise.

Haruko

Is there anyway to turn on VSync in the game? Just picked it up on the GMG sale and it runs fine but a lot of screen tearing.

Yes; there is a flag in a config file you can set to True (default is false) for vsync; it's in the same file talked about here regarding framerate limit:

go to the file under appdata, then local, tslgame then to saved, config and windows no editor. find the GameUserSettings file open it up then scroll down towards the bottom and find FrameRateLimit and change it to whatever you want either monitor refresh rate or a little higher, file location should look like this. local disk C;> users> (whatever youre user name is)> appdata> local>TslGame>saved>config> WindowsNoEditior

SomTervo

I'm going to make a compilation video of all my motorbike deaths as there's so many of them...I'll never learn. It's always when I have a level 3 helmet, silenced AR and sniper with 8x scope and tons of ammo, plenty of first-aid kits, painkillers etc. and I die to a small mound of dirt.

Please do.

It makes one feel like this:

image.php

Just bought this last night...have a couple basic questions. Just played one round only last night..

Starting gear....I started out with nothing at all, which is fine by me. I did register a kill and looted the body. I eventually died....but does that gear I looted stay with me?

If not, is there a way to start out with better gear eventually? I assume that's something to do with the points or whatever you earn after the round?

Once I get killed, can I just exit to the lobby, or do I need to stick around until the entire round is completed for me to get any points or whatever they're called to be earned?

JDB

Banned
Just bought this last night...have a couple basic questions. Just played one round only last night..

Starting gear....I started out with nothing at all, which is fine by me. I did register a kill and looted the body. I eventually died....but does that gear I looted stay with me?

If not, is there a way to start out with better gear eventually? I assume that's something to do with the points or whatever you earn after the round?

Once I get killed, can I just exit to the lobby, or do I need to stick around until the entire round is completed for me to get any points or whatever they're called to be earned?
You don't keep anything from what you pick up in matches. Also, the only things you can get are cosmetic items either through opening crates (which you can buy with the points you earn) or but getting them through the Steam market.

And yeah, you can leave no problem.

You don't keep anything from what you pick up in matches. Also, the only things you can get are cosmetic items either through opening crates (which you can buy with the points you earn) or but getting them through the Steam market.

And yeah, you can leave no problem.

Okay, so everyone starts out w/ no weapons at the start of each round, regardless of how many hours they've put into the game?

part of the fun of the game I take it...everyone starts out the same...

Raitaro

I would guess they had easier time to get BG onto XBO hardware and get it running than onto PS4 hardware so they are comfortable with developing XBO version along with PC version for Autumn release.

You also have to remember that it'll probably launch in Xbox's early access program, something that the PS4 lacks. That could be another reason.

I always assumed because Mike Ybarra has been plugging this game almost every day for months bragging about chicken dinners. He is an actual vocal fan. People do business with people who believe in them.

I think it's just early access on Xbox.

Will launch on on both officially probably next year sometime.

Thanks for the good points and rational thoughts to keep my irrational bitterness in check. I appreciate it.

LogicStep

How do you guys handle duo/squad deaths in early game? If someone dies in the early stages of the game, do you back out and start again or do you keep going until you win or die?

I tend to back out with friends but it really gets tiring having to back out constantly. Feels like sometimes I spend more time on the lobby than playing.

Bread

Banned
How do you guys handle duo/squad deaths in early game? If someone dies in the early stages of the game, do you back out and start again or do you keep going until you win or die?

I tend to back out with friends but it really gets tiring having to back out constantly. Feels like sometimes I spend more time on the lobby than playing.
I go rambo and bring as many down with me, but I won't ever leave a lobby or kill myself. I've won a few games when I lost a teammate after the jump.

brentech

Lost my teammate shortly after we dropped last week. Got revenge kills on the duo that got him, then played it out and ended up winning with 9 kills.

But yeah, i just try to get after it in those cases. Play it out, but go headhunting.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I just had a pretty epic squad game where my teammates were gunned down, save for one of us who was running all the way from the next nearby compound. Equipped with a tommy gun and 200 bullets, I decide to meet the ambushing squad head on with a hard flank. They're caught off guard and I drop two guys before quickly ducking into a two story house.

Another squad shows up and in the chaos I spot the remnants of the first squad cowering behind a rock and unleash tommy gun hell upon them. The second squad hears me and attempts to rush my position. I'm spraying down the corridors,through the windows and prefiring the hell out of the doorways, while inching back upstairs. The tommy gun shines here, an infinite spray of bullets up against those 30 bullet magazines. They have no chance, dropping dead, one after the other, scrambling over each others dead bodies. The last guy is camping at the top of the stairs. At this point, I'm nearly out of ammo, down to 30 bullets in the next room.

I peak and unload the tommy gun at him, and he runs back down and I pursue - only to find a third unknown firing at the both of us. The squaddie i was chasing eats the initial wave of bullets and tumbles to the bottom of the stairs. I'm down to a sliver of health and back hiding upstairs, with barely any ammo and no healing. At this point, I'm out of options. Time to pack it up, when I hear another burst of fire and then silence... and my teammate just calmly walks up the stairs, finally arriving after all this time like a guardian angel. This game! We didn't manage to win (reached the final 6) but I already had my victory at this point :D

The Tommy gun is a monster at CQB - the 100 magazine drum makes it a nightmare to go against.

Swig_

I bought this today. Every time I start a game, when the plane starts flying to drop people off, the game crashes and takes 1-2 minutes to die off. Every single time.

Is this a known bug? Any way to fix it? I'm tempted to see if GMG will give me a refund because this is garbage.

jeffc919

I bought this today. Every time I start a game, when the plane starts flying to drop people off, the game crashes and takes 1-2 minutes to die off. Every single time.

Is this a known bug? Any way to fix it? I'm tempted to see if GMG will give me a refund because this is garbage.

Sorry to say this sounds like an instability issue at your end. Are you overclocked? CPU getting hot?

Swig_

Sorry to say this sounds like an instability issue at your end. Are you overclocked? CPU getting hot?

Not overclocked. I never have any problems with any other games.. I usually play Overwatch and run that on ultra settings.

I have a Skylake machine with 16GB RAM and a 1080. Also have a G-Sync monitor, if that matters.

I tried a reboot with nothing running but my base apps and Steam and it still crashes.

jeffc919

Not overclocked. I never have any problems with any other games.. I usually play Overwatch and run that on ultra settings.

I have a Skylake machine with 16GB RAM and a 1080. Also have a G-Sync monitor, if that matters.

I tried a reboot with nothing running but my base apps and Steam and it still crashes.

hmmm, hopefully someone chimes in with some suggestions of things to try. I have basically the same setup as you. Substitute Kaby Lake for Skylake. If you get desperate maybe uninstall and reinstall the game?

Landed on a rooftop at school, picked up a scar and one clip of 5.6, some dude kills me with his fists like they're a machine gun or something.

Hate that this game even bothers having melee combat with how bad the lag is.

E-flux

Landed on a rooftop at school, picked up a scar and one clip of 5.6, some dude kills me with his fists like they're a machine gun or something.

Hate that this game even bothers having melee combat with how bad the lag is.

yeah, melee at the moment is like throwing dice sometimes you one or two shot a running target with your melee and sometimes you keep hitting and hitting a dude who is standing still loading his weapon and picking shit up and nothing happens to him.

Yup yup.

Got headshot and killed with a pistol...

While wearing Helmet Lv 3.

Honestly confirmed they do nothing.

Probably double shot on the face, they were tested and works.
The exact same happens to me yesterday, i was instantly killed while carrying a level 3 helmet. Pretty sure it was a double shot though even if i only heard one shot.

Bubba77

Almost won a game, but got #2 instead. Wonder if I should have been more aggressive instead of hiding in a building till the end.

depends on situation. My buddy and I just won a duo game a little over an hour ago and had same dilema but we were on the other side of it. 3 left, 2 was me and my buddy. And we knew the final dude was in a house and had to leave it because of the moving circle. Was easy to camp it and win.

If you are going to hunker down in a building late game its all about getting the lucky circle!

Vipu

Banned

Tried different settings?
Verified files on steam?

Kalentan

Is there a way to make it so your footsteps make no sounds?

Cause a guy drove up to where I was and I listened closely for any sounds...

But there was none. Despite him being so close, he wasn't making a single sound when moving in a warehouse and on the grass.

He wasn't proneing, he was walking.

Top Bottom