• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Is there a way to make it so your footsteps make no sounds?

Cause a guy drove up to where I was and I listened closely for any sounds...

But there was none. Despite him being so close, he wasn't making a single sound when moving in a warehouse and on the grass.

He wasn't proneing, he was walking.

If you crouch and hold Control you walk reaaaaaaaaaaaal slow

Can anyone recommend a good guide to the game? YT is giving me a bunch of guys who are just rambling as they go through a match. No solid tutorial of the ropes of the game.

E-flux

If you crouch and hold Control you walk reaaaaaaaaaaaal slow

It still makes pretty loud sounds walking like that ever since the update where they boosted the walking sounds. There's no way to sneak up on people even if the doors to the houses would be open, you can hear people sneaking with control easily even if they are not in the same floor as you.

Burt

So I'm loading up a squad game and thinking, "You know, being solo in a squad game wouldn't be that bad. Loads of loot, less chance of getting ambushed or even running into someone, target rich environment. Would probably be okay."

My 3 teammates D/C in the lobby. And as I have the cursor over the "Exit to Lobby" button, I think to myself, "Wait, don't be such a chickenshit. You were just thinking this."

Yeah, I think at myself after a few beers sometimes.

Dropped in a cluster of houses west of Mylta and after getting super looted, went to that T intersection just south of town on the way to the bridge. Was in the 3 story tower when I see a UAZ dropping a teammate off at a Dacia in the distance. Take some potshots, all misses.

UAZ with 3 people in it starts coming for me.

UAZ pulls up right in front of the tower, perfect LOS for me, I knock out the driver. Other two get out, one goes to rez, knock him out.

I hear over the mic "He's on the second floor". I turn around, the person they were dropping off in the Dacia took it around back and was flanking me from the hill north of town. Drop her real quick.

Finish off the two dudes crawling around out front, wait like 20 seconds, don't see any movement. Go out to loot and the last guy peeks out at the worst moment for him. I duck into the stall next to him, whip out my S12K, and civil war charge him. Bang bang, whole team killed.

And not a single goddamn scope beyond a red dot on any of them, or in the game AFAIK. But hey, it worked out!

Yqj3Dty.png

Honestly though, seeing a team of four taking fire and trying to get in their car and blowing their tires as they try to make their getaway might've been even better than wiping out a whole squad solo. Either way, I had a chicken dinner earlier tonight, and this game was much better.

TLDR: Don't quit on squad games just because you get boned by D/Cs and quitters

Can anyone recommend a good guide to the game? YT is giving me a bunch of guys who are just rambling as they go through a match. No solid tutorial of the ropes of the game.
Honestly I just hopped in and started playing. There isn't much to know except to survive and not get shot so far as I know.

Honestly I just hopped in and started playing. There isn't much to know except to survive and not get shot so far as I know.
Yeah, this. Especially when playing solo, there isn't much to know. Don't need to know callouts for locations. Just drop where you want, grab your preferred weapons/attachments, and survive.

Probably a general list of suggestions somewhere though, like closing doors behind you to make sure you hear when someone else comes into your home, or remembering which ammo and attachments go with what.

You'll just get better at the game as you play more.

so my whole squad died pretty much ten minutes into the game and i was gonna just try and die guns ablazing in whatever firefight i could find

instead this happened

moral of the story is never give a shit and instead go on revenge rampage

NJDEN

Won the chicken dinner in a duo match. Friend died a sad fate in the first five minutes after not being able to secure a firearm. I won't share the story since nobody cares as much as those who were there, but it involves an execution, motorcycle escape, and an SKS with an 8x scope.

Most of the fixings for a good action movie.

SomTervo

holy shit

my blood

pumping blood

I hate the Vector at the best of times but for once there was an actual perfect opportunity to use it - and it just happened to be the last person in the match. He tried to get me about four times but I tactically ducked and dropped behind tiny grassy knolls that just kept me covered. Eventually he was distracted by another target and I took my chance to flank him. Those 13 rounds perfectly smashed the guy to death, although he got one shot at me in time.

Seriously, I'm learning more and more that positioning is EVERYTHING in this game. (Edit: and that tactically staying still while safe and hidden is just as important.) Whether on foot or in vehicle, you should be constantly thinking about what route gives you the most coverage (be it slopes or knolls, buildings, trees) and which is likely to have the fewest people (at least up until the last few mins). At the end, keep watch behind you every time you move. Saved me twice in this match. And always be ready to drop and crawl from bush to bush or knoll to knoll. Only crouch or stand if among buildings or in a bush. Use crawling and positioning to keep yourself protected from snipers when in the opening. If they get a bead on you and you don't know where they are, run zig zag. It seems too slow but it honestly fucks them up.

I honestly had so many close calls in that match.

So I bought a PC after 20 years strictly as a console gamer. It's taking me some time to adjust to using a mouse and keyboard.. but my God this game is amazing. Absolutely love the adrenaline and high stakes I feel. Reminds me so much of being in a socom clan war back in the day. Can't wait for the finished product!

Seventy70

From what I understand, a lot of the magic of this game is finding your own techniques and strategies. There is no end the the amount of tactics you could apply.

DMTripper

So I bought a PC after 20 years strictly as a console gamer. It's taking me some time to adjust to using a mouse and keyboard.. but my God this game is amazing. Absolutely love the adrenaline and high stakes I feel. Reminds me so much of being in a socom clan war back in the day. Can't wait for the finished product!

Nice! PC gaming is the shit, so many great games. I was shit with the mouse and keyboard when I started but honestly prefer it now.

Grexeno

Is there a way to make it so your footsteps make no sounds?

Cause a guy drove up to where I was and I listened closely for any sounds...

But there was none. Despite him being so close, he wasn't making a single sound when moving in a warehouse and on the grass.

He wasn't proneing, he was walking.
I believe if you crouch and hold the walk button it's very quiet.

OMFG

2 IN ONE DAY

I'M SHAKING
Grats!

Still haven't got one in solo. Definitely not jealous.

Edit: Camped out in a house in Pochinki, circle kept closing in on me so I was good. Dude comes up the stairs, doesn't see me, unload a full clip UMP into him and not a single shot registers. What even is this game

SomTervo

I use all default controls. Not too bad.

Grats!

Still haven't got one in solo. Definitely not jealous.

I've honestly reached the top 10 like six times but been lower in about 70 games in the last couple of months. A couple of my losses were even in the 90s recently :(

Just keep at it.

Edit: Camped out in a house in Pochinki, circle kept closing in on me so I was good. Dude comes up the stairs, doesn't see me, unload a full clip UMP into him and not a single shot registers. What even is this game

:(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Awesome game, just bought it 2 hours ago.

it feels like Daisy but not quite as glitchy considering the age of the game. I do like the Dynamics of the bombings and also the way the radius drinks.

it just feels like a much more functional game at this stage in its development and other than some minor glitching with opening doors and lag or fly performance issues this is definitely already really fun.

I look to them expanding a little more on the gameplay but it's very robust already and has the core of its gameplay down even if it's still going through some iteration.

SomTervo

Two wins today... and straight back to getting killed by unknown shooters at unknown distances from unknown directions

Never change, PUBG

Backlogger

Am I going to like this game? I like certain multiplayer games like Overwatch and Rocket League. I liked COD BO2 but I am hit and miss on those games.

I have a GMG voucher that still appears to work but was supposed to expire yesterday so trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or not.

Am I going to like this game? I like certain multiplayer games like Overwatch and Rocket League. I liked COD BO2 but I am hit and miss on those games.

I have a GMG voucher that still appears to work but was supposed to expire yesterday so trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or not.
Not really comparable to those three games you listed. Also worthwhile to note that if you do shoot for that $10 or so discount offered by GMG, you're losing the ability to refund it through Steam if you end up not liking it.

My favorite aspect of the game compared to those that you listed though is that despite massive lobby sizes and somewhat long games, finding matches no matter what server you search on is just about instantaneous. So once I've lost, I can quit out and be in another match just like that, whereas the community for most CoD games on PC is dead on arrival.

SomTervo

It's pretty different to all of the games you mentioned, but it's fantastic. I'm not a big multiplayer gamer (don't like the skill/time input) but PUBG keeps bringing me back.

It's refreshing to have a game where everyone starts on 100% the same footing – no weapon unlocks, no classes or characters, no spawn points or reliable camping points/strategies.

It's just you, landing naked somewhere on a huge island, ready to scavenge and fend for yourself while trying to travel to increasingly tight safe-circles.

It's a bit janky still at this stage but generally plays really well and the heart-pumping tension when you make it to the top 10 is unparalleled almost in all of gaming IMO. Only The Last of Us online matched it for me.

edit: it's it's it's it's

Just picked this up, not knowing what to expect from a battle royale game since I've never played one. Wow, this is something I didn't know I wanted but I do. Really addictive, kills are super satisfying because of the "finality" of dying, the stakes just feel high. Loot is done very well too, I just hope there's more weapon/attachment variety in the future. I also hope the skin rewards get better, they're pretty boring and too few and far between.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How long were you guys playing before getting a Chicken Dinner?

I haven't played much - maybe 15 hours total, last I checked, over the last ~three weeks.

I've gotten in the Top Ten maybe six or seven times, which I feel like is great. But I can never break Top Three. Do I just suck? It feels like, in those last 5 minutes, the game is even more luck based than the 20 minutes that comes before. I swear I always die by someone who is just camped up in the perfect house in the middle of the circle rocking an 8x and a bunch of armor.

I feel like the last couple pages are just filled with Chicken Dinners, so I'm curious how awful I am.

I haven't played much - maybe 15 hours total, last I checked, over the last ~three weeks.

I've gotten in the Top Ten maybe six or seven times, which I feel like is great. But I can never break Top Three. Do I just suck? It feels like, in those last 5 minutes, the game is even more luck based than the 20 minutes that comes before. I swear I always die by someone who is just camped up in the perfect house in the middle of the circle rocking an 8x and a bunch of armor.

I feel like the last couple pages are just filled with Chicken Dinners, so I'm curious how awful I am.
Keep in mind that you're fighting 100 others and only one can win. 99 percent of the time you are going to lose!

SomTervo

22 hours for me.

22 hours played with no wins.

Then two wins today... no idea when the next will be o_o

JDB

Banned

First squad and first solo game :>

Lemonte

Hunted my first win for 25 hours then I got 2 wins in a row. Before my first win I got quite many top tens and handful of top 3s.

EL CUCO

Finally getting to where I win most of my 1v1's. Now if I can stop getting shot from the back, I might actually win a chicken dinner.

Theorry

Couple of noob questions. More intrested in the game now it comes to console.
But basically. Everybody was playing H1Z1 KOTH before and now looks like everyone has switched? Is this game that better? Also how does couples work? Is that a different game mode?

EL CUCO

^ PUBG has a solo, duos, and squad (4 people?) playlist. Not sure about H1 comparison since I've never played it.

Top 20 with 7 kills. Feeling confident with momentum on my side. Thinking this might be the one, stole some camper dudes bike as the gas was quickly approaching and took off into the safe zone...only to hit F by accident is I was riding in.

F indeed. 😂😭

Couple of noob questions. More intrested in the game now it comes to console.
But basically. Everybody was playing H1Z1 KOTH before and now looks like everyone has switched? Is this game that better? Also how does couples work? Is that a different game mode?

H1Z1 finally has better performance but it's been out for much longer. The cities are more american style. Urban cities with big buildings etc and suburban neighborhoods with a lot of nothing in between. The shooting is all hipfire and mostly done in third person. Jumping out of moving cars and shooting is one of the best ways to enter a fight.

PUBG is a bit slower, more methodical and IMHO has much much better shooting. It also has a more weapon variety and weapon add ons which really change up the way you play. The devs are also working fast improving the game and fixing bugs where H1Z1 felt stagnate for a very long time.

Having played hundreds of hours on H1Z1 I would call PUBG a better game already with a dev team i have more faith in. H1Z1 is still good and is improving but it's a much fater arcadey experience.

enbred

Banned
My interest has grown for this game during this past week, as well as for Rust. Hence, the question; Help me decide between the two.

Can someone break down the two games for me and help me decide? It's unfortunate that PlayerUnknown's has a whopping $30 dollar price tag. I think it's a bit much to ask for a game in early access. Rust on the hand is selling for $10 this summer sale. So i can't get both at this time. Visually i'm more leaning towards Rust, but i'm more concerned about which one is the better game of the two?

Top Bottom