• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

OraleeWey

I thought this guy here was afk, I lost it when he turned around

PleasingMeekAlpaca.gif

In HD

Man, I know I feel it sometimes but I think this encapsulates how this game can be so RNG:

https://youtu.be/zIVMpY5eFq4?t=767
and again at:
https://youtu.be/zIVMpY5eFq4?t=893

I mean there's no defending that. Both of them are clearly being hit, but not. I've got a few bad ones in my tapes too but that is certainly special heh.

Maybe you're confused, this isn't Call of Duty.

That person was shooting a pistol at a distance. In the first video, he lands four weak pistol body shots on a player who likely has body armor, and misses the rest, before saying, "uhhh... game?". (The misses are all visibly the player's fault.)

In the second video, he lands two weak pistol shots on a player, and misses the rest. He could have hit that player with many more shots if he were playing better in that moment.

I didn't see any RNG in either of those videos. Maybe you're just not used to shooters without hitscan, or something?

Gonna see if I can't improve performance tonight. My 1700 is only seeing maybe 10% utilization, wish I could offload more of the load off my 390. Of course playing this at 1440p on a 390 isn't doing me any favours to begin with.

Can't stand cars but I'm loving the bikes, I'm sure that'll change pretty soon though lol

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Wow, so, I just pulled the pin on a grenade while behind a building corner. I stepped out, but the circle didn't move! As soon as I let it go it just exploded in my face. hahaha, fucking hell

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
You don't know what to say to that? The shots missed, what does RNG have to do with that.

Maybe you're confused, this isn't Call of Duty.

That person was shooting a pistol at a distance. In the first video, he lands four weak pistol body shots on a player who likely has body armor, and misses the rest, before saying, "uhhh... game?". (The misses are all visibly the player's fault.)

In the second video, he lands two weak pistol shots on a player, and misses the rest. He could have hit that player with many more shots if he were playing better in that moment.

I didn't see any RNG in either of those videos. Maybe you're just not used to shooters without hitscan, or something?

I'm not sure what video you're watching, but at ~50 meters with 25m sighting, there is absolutely no way those bullets were dropping from shoulder height to the ground. What was he shooting, a banana?

Kalentan

Network lag is BAAD today. Other than the frequent Network Errors occuring during play, I just had a guy who was punching me from afar. I sprinted away from him and he just stood around and punched and it kept hitting me.

Zomba13

OK. WTF are the point of melee weapons? Just got a game, very early, I had a hat, they had a shotty, nothing else. I had a sickle, I somehow managed to dodge almost every hit of his when right in his face but only landed a single sickle hit somehow!? The fuck? I got a good 6 or 7 hits, he emptied the 5 shells (misses), reloaded then killed me with the next one but somehow in melee range with a melee weapon I missed all but one hit?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Damnit, I should have won my second solo chicken dinner just now. I had a scar with a supressor, killed 5 people and finished #2. I messed up my shot on the last guy and lost. :(

Bread

Banned
I'm not sure what video you're watching, but at ~50 meters with 25m sighting, there is absolutely no way those bullets were dropping from shoulder height to the ground. What was he shooting, a banana?
I don't know where you're seeing them hit the ground, looks to me like he's not hitting his target.

Besides, you think RNG is deciding whether a bullet will hit its target or not? That's insane.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know where you're seeing them hit the ground, looks to me like he's not hitting his target.

Besides, you think RNG is deciding whether a bullet will hit its target or not? That's insane.

No. I'm saying the server is so crappy that it, in itself not counting shots, is another form of unintended metaphorical RNG.

Also, while he absolutely does not hit every shot, I'm seeing the red dot centered right on both targets shoulders/bodies for quite a few shots and there being no blood or hit markers, which prompts the response from him and me, of a wtf.

Edit: In clarification to the "hitting the ground" comment, that was in response to the other poster who implied I wasn't taking into account bullet drop physics.

Disgraced

Went to Gamestop to trade a gift card for a Steam card.

Dude at the counter asks me if I was planning to get anything in particular.

"PUBS, perhaps?"

It took me a fucking second, man, even though I've been scrolling past this thread and threads about the game of this thread like every day.

Revoke my gamer cred.

That is all.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Does anyone else have the game crash at launch the first time they launch the game for the day?

It just does that first crash and then after that it's fine.

I'm not even annoyed tbh.

Vipu

Banned
What exactly is the bug here?? I'm not seeing it...

Like someone said, full auto doesnt always full auto, it can stop shooting at any point.
After 1 shot or after 5 shots, its super random and I have no idea what causes it.

Only thing I know is that it happens when you shoot enemy.
If I shoot magazine after magazine to wall it never bugs, but then I shoot enemy and it happens.

Bread

Banned
No. I'm saying the server is so crappy that it, in itself not counting shots, is another form of unintended metaphorical RNG.

Also, while he absolutely does not hit every shot, I'm seeing the red dot centered right on both targets shoulders/bodies for quite a few shots and there being no blood or hit markers, which prompts the response from him and me, of a wtf.

Edit: In clarification to the "hitting the ground" comment, that was in response to the other poster who implied I wasn't taking into account bullet drop physics.
I don't see it, I think those are just mistimed shots.

Can't wait for 1st person. So tired of cheeze tactics. I get top 10 frequently enough, but the 3rd person + circle rng makes it horrendously unfun sometimes.

Nabs

Went to Gamestop to trade a gift card for a Steam card.

Dude at the counter asks me if I was planning to get anything in particular.

"PUBS, perhaps?"

It took me a fucking second, man, even though I've been scrolling past this thread and threads about the game of this thread like every day.

Revoke my gamer cred.

That is all.

So, you pick it up?

Mossybrew

So after the initial rush of how fun and intense this game is, I'm realizing that its kinda tough to get good at the basics of gun combat because 1. there are so many options and 2. you have so little actual 'practice' during a match. So I'm constantly wondering things like, indoors am I better off with a shotgun, or full auto smg? And should I be in first person aiming mode or third? Outdoors how effective is full auto/burst/single shot and at what general ranges? Should I fire on that dude outside in the bushes as we're both running from the blue line, or wait and try to get closer!? Ah!

I just had a hugely embarrassing death, I'm in a house, someone comes in and I should have the drop on him, I have a shotgun and am in first person, but he's moving all over and I feel I can't quite get a solid shot so I hesitate, hesitate, then he comes round where he sees me and I get off one shot on him but he kills me and has a mic and says "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" and I have to laugh and agree. I guess I should have just started shooting as soon as I saw him and hoped for the best.

I guess confrontations are usually so quick and decisive that even if I think I might have the drop on someone I hesitate and then end up choking.

shermas

Thinking about picking this up... I need to buy a laptop, though, because I don't usually game on the PC (xbox and ps4).

Can I get by with a run of the mill 'gaming' laptop from Costco, around $500-$700?

My current laptop won't work. Tried to play last night and it was a slideshow. Total nightmare.

Would this one work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N11JKA3/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I am PC gaming newb. Civ 5 was the last game I played on a PC.

Grassy

Man, I know I feel it sometimes but I think this encapsulates how this game can be so RNG:

https://youtu.be/zIVMpY5eFq4?t=767
and again at:
https://youtu.be/zIVMpY5eFq4?t=893

I mean there's no defending that. Both of them are clearly being hit, but not. I've got a few bad ones in my tapes too but that is certainly special heh.

Watching the second clip at 0.25x speed, the first shot misses as the player moves forward slightly, and it looks like he does hit them 2-3 times but the blood splatter is kind of masked by the grass.

New gun is the 7.62mm Mk14 EBR

DFyyLIpUMAAfHDI.jpg

Oooh nice. I heard they're also going to add a handgrip to the SKS for improved stability.

Zomba13

Just had a hilarious match, wish I still had something running to record it. Dropped down, saw another guy before we got stuff, superman punched them and then a follow up for a 2 hit kill, grabbed a crowbar and rushed another guy who entered the hanger thing and just chased him for like 3 minutes until he ran in a house and got caught on the stairs and I headshotted him with the crowbar. Ended up dead a few seconds later as a guy with an actual gun came into the house. Still fun though!

wonderpug

Neo Member
OK. WTF are the point of melee weapons? Just got a game, very early, I had a hat, they had a shotty, nothing else. I had a sickle, I somehow managed to dodge almost every hit of his when right in his face but only landed a single sickle hit somehow!? The fuck? I got a good 6 or 7 hits, he emptied the 5 shells (misses), reloaded then killed me with the next one but somehow in melee range with a melee weapon I missed all but one hit?

Melee weapons don't really work right now.

Zomba13

Except the all mighty pan. 🍳

The pan saved my life this past round. I got pinned down and tried to crawl away but the guy saw me and shot at me but it pinged the pan so I went right back to where I was and waited for the blue to force him to move. Just got to #2 this round. I knew where the guy that got me was, I was watching him for the past two shrinks but the other guy who I didn't now where he was shot at me so I killed him then by the time I turned back to watch where the other guy was he'd killed me :(

So close!

Two crate only weapons in a row is a bit disappointing (I've only gotten a Groza once and died before I could use it), especially given the last two non crate weapons they added (Vector and VSS) are so situational to the point of bordering on gimmick guns.

Apparently they might be removing Kar98s from crates so you'd at least be guaranteed a crate only gun.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So does the pan actually protect you from gunfire when it's on your back?

Because i've been instinctively picking up pans as butt armor but I have no idea whether that even works or not.

Zomba13

Because i've been instinctively picking up pans as butt armor but I have no idea whether that even works or not.

Definitely works as butt armour. I wouldn't say it's something you always see a benefit with but I'll keep grabbing pans when I see them, especially now I've actually seen it work and protect me.

Those are clearly just mistimed shots.

Yes. It not only does the most melee damage, but it's treated as a solid object. Not only does it act as butt armor, but stupid lucky people have even deflected shots while running with it in their hands or even swinging it in front of them (yes, people have deflected point blank shotgun blasts like this).

Daffy Duck

Yep! Several times I've been running away and heard twang of a bullet hitting the pan, makes me poop myself everytine lol

Top Bottom