• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

JDB

Banned
I kinda liked the tension about gearing up and then being at risk by looters. Maybe this isn't for me then.
Yeah, it doesn't quite have that same tension, but getting to the final 10 players can definitely get quite thrilling. You can always try it out and if you don't like it refund within 2 hours of playtime.

Goddamn they need to add bullet penetration soon. It is beyond frustrating when you get the drop on someone with garbage reflexes, dump half a mag of Uzi into them, and then the final bullets to kill end up grazing a half inch thick wooden railing so whoops, stopped dead, while they slowly turn and hit you with a shotgun.

Enco

So has basically the whole DayZ-esque survival game been usurped by battle royale games? I really liked DayZ's concept back in the day. Should I be giving this a try?
I was sceptical but this takes the best of DayZ and gets rid of the garbage.

1. You can easily play with friends (lol at DayZ..)
2. You still get the amazing PvP moments that no other game provides
3. Physics are actually good. You feel like you're actually shooting someone and having an impact
4. There's far less walking with nothing to do
5. There are no garbage broken zombies
6. It's short enough and has a clear goal so it doesn't get boring like DayZ

This is exactly where DayZ should have been. Would have been great to have a working zombie game but this is the next best thing. DayZ is dead.

edit: the biggest downside is the shitty optimisation. If they fix it.. this will easily be GOTY.

Tovarisc

Scope and silencers make it viable. Also, with an extended mag on auto, it's a beast in CQC.

In my books it's poor mans UMP. Especially when UMP is super common spawn and SMG suppressors are quite plentiful.

Goddamn they need to add bullet penetration soon. It is beyond frustrating when you get the drop on someone with garbage reflexes, dump half a mag of Uzi into them, and then the final bullets to kill end up grazing a half inch thick wooden railing so whoops, stopped dead, while they slowly turn and hit you with a shotgun.

How they dealt with fukboi shacks it makes me wonder if bullet penetration is actually coming.

Is it just me remembering incorrectly, or did even chain link fences stop bullets until recently?

I like to drop at bunker a lot and any time I find a sniper + a scope I immediately head to crater, to snipe on fools from the rocky crags on the west side of crater.

until this month, I noticed that shooting people through the chain link fences along the sides of crater sometimes just didn't work. Now I never have that problem.

Adnor

Banned

Yeah, but they have to make sure the pan is still a solid object that no bullet can penetrate.

The weirdest chain link fences are these ones (I've seen them in town south of the east bridge) where they're broken but not the big broken fences, so you have to like crawl or crouch walk through when the gap looks big enough to walk through.

Me and my buddy got 2 chicken dinners today. Felt great. Been awhile since we had one so getting two felt good.

VSS isn't worth looking at.

Also there is tutorials? o_O

Game has anti-cheat + manual reporting option.
The VSS once you get used to it is amazing. People get so fucking confused.

And like somebody else said if you have an extended mag it's viable close quarters as well.

It's a weapon that takes practice though, you're going to lose gunfights a lot and miss shots but once you get good at using it it's amazing.

Bullet penetration (WITHIN REASON not through an entire house or something made of brick) and vaulting and I'll probably play another 200 hours.

Bullet penetration would be so unbelievably dope. I got a lot of use out of bullet penetration playing ARMA 3 Wasteland.

It'd be so nice to pick up an AWM and think to myself

"next time I see a gun barrel poking through a wall, they're FUCKED"

Bullet penetration would be so unbelievably dope. I got a lot of use out of bullet penetration playing ARMA 3 Wasteland.

It would make so many more tense encounters but also make firefights more reasonable than the 8/10 times standard of "dash madly to whatever thin cover you can find and play a game of chicken".

How many objects would they have to code though.

Ie penetrating a fence is different from a wooden shack, which is different from a house...and then you take bullet types into account...

...what Im trying to say is I have little faith in that penetration will be out any time soon.

Ayumi

I played this game solo while inebriated last night and let me tell you, it's goddamn terrifying. I died 11th with my heart pounding like crazy. Never again, stuff is way too tense.
This game is nerve wracking, but that's why I love it so much! But I agree, it can be pretty stressful, so some days I just need a break and go full auto-pilot in Diablo 3 instead. Whenever we're down to 20, my palms get sweaty. Every time I suddenly get shot at, I jump in my chair and my hand/mouse goes awry. Probably lost a few more times than necessary because of that. lmao

Steel

Banned
In my books it's poor mans UMP. Especially when UMP is super common spawn and SMG suppressors are quite plentiful.

Yep. I've gotten kills with the vector, but its natural inaccuracy and its pitiful clip even with an extended mag make it a hard pass unless I can't find a UMP or even an Uzi. Fortunately, UMPs are a lot more common.

rugioh

Banned
Can someone tell me how to fix the lobby connection issues that have been happening since last patch? Can't get past the "Connected. Waiting for response" screen for like 10 minutes after booting up the game, no matter how many times I attempt to reset the UI

Grassy

It would be awesome, though I can only imagine the amount of reports they get will increase x 1000. Nothing makes people more salty than getting wallbanged, there's going to be so much salt and rage... "Fuck off! There's no way he knew I was there!!!! *reported*"

Can't wait.

Blizzard

Banned
So has basically the whole DayZ-esque survival game been usurped by battle royale games? I really liked DayZ's concept back in the day. Should I be giving this a try?
Did you like DayZ for the feeling of isolation, for the zombies, or for the stealth / hunting / camping gameplay?

I didn't care for the zombies and I think this game does the other two aspects way better than DayZ. It's also less glitchy.

Krayz

It would be awesome, though I can only imagine the amount of reports they get will increase x 1000. Nothing makes people more salty than getting wallbanged, there's going to be so much salt and rage... "Fuck off! There's no way he knew I was there!!!! *reported*"

Can't wait.

Should implement it when they put in kill cam

shermas

I am so shit at this game. I rarely (Half Life) play shooters on my PC and the mouse/keyboard is killing me.

Getting the drop on someone is so much fun, though... the random times I can actually find someone and get them, it's awesome.

Magwik

Banned
I spent probably about ten minutes swimming to and from a crate in the water east of Nova only for it to turn out that
1. My friend never noticed a boat north of it I could take
2. Accidentally drove it onto a beach
3. A second crate dropped north of Nova while I was halfway to the first.

Got some squad games in with some friends who didn't have an unhealthy amount of knowledge of this game like me, and though we never won we got some good rounds in. I taught them that if some idiots stop their UAZ right in the middle of a field as cover, then you get some free vehicle explosion kills.

Also I blew their minds with the crouch jumping out the windows trick.

Got some squad games in with some friends who didn't have an unhealthy amount of knowledge of this game like me, and though we never won we got some good rounds in. I taught them that if some idiots stop their UAZ right in the middle of a field as cover, then you get some free vehicle explosion kills.

Still don't know the jumping out windows trick.

Still don't know the jumping out windows trick.

Jump forward and then immediately hit crouch in front of the larger square windows and you'll actually land on the windowframe and can walk through.

It takes timing to get down, but until they add vaulting it's a great way to escape when the doors don't favor you, or to get an angle on people trying to breach your house.

Burt

I hate those nights where it's all scopes and no assault rifles or all assault rifles and no scopes

Fuckign 2 8xs a shotgun and a ump

Blizzard

Banned

If you're ever up for playing squad games with a semi-noob (only won once in solo, never in duo/squad) let me know. I enjoy reading your postgame adventure reports.

Clydefrog

Obligatory "got my first chicken dinner" post. Well, my first solo chicken. I mainly play squads with friends but tonight everyone got mad at each other playing CS.

Bored, I loaded up PUBG to try a game of solo-queue. CHICKEN

6dRAsOB.jpg

can't wait for first person only servers

Oh, I almost forgot: I had a round in squads where we dropped Pochinki, a guy runs into my building clearly knowing I'm there but without a gun, I gun him down and move on, and then two seconds after I move from his body he suddenly explodes and I realize he was trying to suicide bomb me with a frag.

Oh, I almost forgot: I had a round in squads where we dropped Pochinki, a guy runs into my building clearly knowing I'm there but without a gun, I gun him down and move on, and then two seconds after I move from his body he suddenly explodes and I realize he was trying to suicide bomb me with a frag.

This almost makes me want to check if you get the kill before you die if you pull this off. Would make for some amazing chicken dinner kills.

Podge293

I have just had no luck in this game lately. Top 10 twice in about 15 games. Top 40 probably 4 times.

Dunno what's gone wrong ha

But my killings have increased like crazy. Averaging about 6 kills a game compared to my usual 1 or 2

JustinBB7

I have a shit ton of coins, worth to spend on opening crates or should I save? I opened like 3 crates like 2 weeks ago, but only got basic ass shitty items and doesn't look like there are any good ones in the game yet. And with upcoming changes do you keep the coins?

Tovarisc

I have a shit ton of coins, worth to spend on opening crates or should I save? I opened like 3 crates like 2 weeks ago, but only got basic ass shitty items and doesn't look like there are any good ones in the game yet. And with upcoming changes do you keep the coins?

I think either way it won't matter. You could spend by getting 3-4 crates / weekly reset until you have all items from them (there isn't many) and then just wait for Gamescom stuff. Still at the end it won't matter as all boxes or at least opening them is going to cost €.

Steez

The VSS once you get used to it is amazing. People get so fucking confused.

And like somebody else said if you have an extended mag it's viable close quarters as well.

It's a weapon that takes practice though, you're going to lose gunfights a lot and miss shots but once you get good at using it it's amazing.

But weapons and attachments that are as rare or less rarer than the VSS do the same thing at least equally or a lot better. Leaving people confused is not exclusive to the VSS.

A suppressed UMP is pretty easy to come by and is better in CQC than the VSS.

Supressed ARs or SRs are about as rare as a VSS and they aren't a huge trash fire at long distances.

An inreased spawn rate would fix a lot of the issues with the gun, since it's only viable if you don't find a sniper rifle, don't find a UMP and find a VSS. This scenario is so unlikely and even than it's arguably better to just use a rifle.

Buy crates until you get the blue Yeezy's.

MUnited83

For you.
Keep the coins. There are new crates coming in a couple of weeks. And they will also be marketable. It's likely you will able to sell those for enough money to basically buy every single in the crates available now.
I think either way it won't matter. You could spend by getting 3-4 crates / weekly reset until you have all items from them (there isn't many) and then just wait for Gamescom stuff. Still at the end it won't matter as all boxes or at least opening them is going to cost €.
Only the Gamescom one is pay to open. There are two other BR inspired ones that will be free. And even the Gamescom one will be able to be sold in the market.

Tovarisc

Keep the coins. There are new crates coming in a couple of weeks. And they will also be marketable. It's likely you will able to sell those for enough money to basically buy every single in the crates available now.

I doubt that. Maybe months down in the line, but as they are available? No way.

Even Twitch Prime stuff is still selling for pennies.

Only the Gamescom one is pay to open. There are two other BR inspired ones that will be free. And even the Gamescom one will be able to be sold in the market.

At the end as in around or right after 1.0 release. They plan to move all boxes to "Pay 2 Open" model.

Top Bottom