• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Duffk1ng

I'm only half joking when I say I'd find this game easier without gun sounds.

I've lost 2 rounds in a row in the last 4 because the game played gunshot audio from a location nowhere fucking near where I'm being shot from.

In the last game the audio came from my left and the hit marker placed the shot behind me, but the guy was behind a tree 50 meters to my right.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm only half joking when I say I'd find this game easier without gun sounds.

I've lost 2 rounds in a row in the last 4 because the game played gunshot audio from a location nowhere fucking near where I'm being shot from.

In the last game the audio came from my left and the hit marker placed the shot behind me, but the guy was behind a tree 50 meters to my right.
Was it FPP?

Also, what hit marker are you talking about? There isn't one that I know of.

Tovarisc

Is HBAO+ particularly intense or something? I was under the impression most AO settings were relatively cheap to implement, from a processing perspective.

HBAO+ is step above others in power demand. If basic AO takes e.g. 4FPS then HBAO+ takes 6FPS, as very overly simplified example.

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-ambient-occlusion-performance.png

Duffk1ng

Was it FPP?

Also, what hit marker are you talking about? There isn't one that I know of.

Yeah, FPP. By hit marker I mean the indicator you get on your screen when you get hit. I'm assuming it's like other games where if the right side of your screen flashes red you got hit from the right, the bottom means from behind, etc.

Yeah HBAO+ is typically only reserved for the highest settings. That's kind of funny that it's forced on at anything above Very Low

Yeah, FPP. By hit marker I mean the indicator you get on your screen when you get hit. I'm assuming it's like other games where if the right side of your screen flashes red you got hit from the right, the bottom means from behind, etc.

Nope, there's no directional hit marker in the game. You might just be seeing the blood splatter from your player character but AFAIK there's no on-screen indication of the direction you're getting hit from.

Hoo-doo

Banned

As far as I know this game doesn't have a proper directional hit marker. Just some splatter.

Blizzard

Banned
As others said, I'm pretty sure blood splatter doesn't mean direction. It MIGHT be that your audio has gotten reversed in FPP since someone else was reporting that.

It's possibly more likely that you're hearing the sound of the nearby bullet from one direction and you need to listen to the second more distant delayed shot that's the actual sound. If the bullet is fired from in front of you but misses to your left, for example, you'll hear a ping from your left and a distant pop shortly after in front of you.

You could try doing a FPP duo game with a friend, have them fire a gun in a totally different direction while they're sitting far to your right, and make sure you hear it on your right. That should rule out reversed audio.

Duffk1ng

Right well that explains the blood splatter always being misleading.

The audio is inconsitent more than anything. I find it really difficult, even using my headset, to pinpoint precisely where a sound is coming from immediately. It'll usually be in the right general direction, but too wide a range to be useful to me. There's been a lot of times I've been able to hear a gun battle going on somewhere and I've positioned myself to face where the sounds are coming from and I only eventually spot it once I turn away from it a little bit.

I'm sure it happens to others as well, the number of people I've seen run for cover when I shoot at them, zigzagging as they go, then stop at some cover but on the wrong side of it and then peak in a direction nowhere near where I'm firing from is really high.

aeolist

Banned
the audio is generally bad, and yes i'm able to differentiate between the bullet crack near me and the sound of the actual shot. it's not precise at all and gets me killed more often than it helps.

Bossniak

I wish blood splatter on the screen shows where you got shot from cause sound is not helping me at all with headphones on , it blows. Plz pu help a pleb out.

Right well that explains the blood splatter always being misleading.

The audio is inconsitent more than anything. I find it really difficult, even using my headset, to pinpoint precisely where a sound is coming from immediately. It'll usually be in the right general direction, but too wide a range to be useful to me. There's been a lot of times I've been able to hear a gun battle going on somewhere and I've positioned myself to face where the sounds are coming from and I only eventually spot it once I turn away from it a little bit.

I'm sure it happens to others as well, the number of people I've seen run for cover when I shoot at them, zigzagging as they go, then stop at some cover but on the wrong side of it and then peak in a direction nowhere near where I'm firing from is really high.

the audio is generally bad, and yes i'm able to differentiate between the bullet crack near me and the sound of the actual shot. it's not precise at all and gets me killed more often than it helps.

The positional audio is good for getting the general direction of a more distant fight, but once you get into closer proximity it does completely fall apart, I agree.

It's especially aggravating indoors, where footsteps above or below you will regularly sound like they're right next to you.

Pineapple

So I just picked this game up and have already sunk a few hours into it. I'm a little unsure of a few things though.

What's the point of all the clothes on the map? The cargo pants, jeans, shirts, etc. Do they do anything? Is there any benefit to picking them up?

Do I absolutely need to go after air crates if I want to have a shot at winning? I've finished in the top 10 a few times thus far simply by being incredibly passive and ninja-like, but I find that once there are less than ~30 or so players, I'm usually outclassed in terms of gear. I don't know if that means that I need to spend more time going after items in various houses and buildings, or if I absolutely need to start going after air crates.

JDB

Banned
I must have magic ears or headphones then because it's fine for me! 🙊

aeolist

Banned
So I just picked this game up and have already sunk a few hours into it. I'm a little unsure of a few things though.

What's the point of all the clothes on the map? The cargo pants, jeans, shirts, etc. Do they do anything? Is there any benefit to picking them up?
all cosmetic

Do I absolutely need to go after air crates if I want to have a shot at winning?
no

I've finished in the top 10 a few times thus far simply by being incredibly passive and ninja-like, but I find that once there are less than ~30 or so players, I'm usually outclassed in terms of gear. I don't know if that means that I need to spend more time going after items in various houses and buildings, or if I absolutely need to start going after air crates.

http://imgur.com/a/jYb9l

this map shows general gear quality in the different locations. note that there's still RNG involved but the red and yellow areas are overall more likely to have good stuff and more of it. that also means there will be more people jumping for those areas, especially if they're close to the flight path.

one good strategy to try is immediately trying to find a vehicle and drive to a good loot spot that's away from the flight path.

edit: also it's usually a bad idea to be looting buildings after the first circle because most of them have been hit already and some of them will be occupied by campers. if you don't get good loot early your best hope for finding stuff is by killing other players.

second edit: there's a more recent version of the map

Aters

Got my first chicken dinner yesterday night. Was playing squad. Feels really good when you win and you know you helped your team a lot.

aeolist

Banned
i just can't fucking stand how some people play this game

twice tonight i landed and had to run away from like 10 guys who got guns before me, then came across buildings with all their doors closed and all the loot you'd expect only to get shot by a guy who apparently picked up a pistol and hid in the corner doing literally nothing until i came along

the second guy i'm 100% sure he did exactly that because i managed to kill him and the only thing he had was the pistol

i just can't fucking stand how some people play this game

twice tonight i landed and had to run away from like 10 guys who got guns before me, then came across buildings with all their doors closed and all the loot you'd expect only to get shot by a guy who apparently picked up a pistol and hid in the corner doing literally nothing until i came along

the second guy i'm 100% sure he did exactly that because i managed to kill him and the only thing he had was the pistol

Clear houses better. He outsmarted you.

Akronis

"We revealed some new terrain tech"

That sentence makes it seem like they added into the engine, which they didn't, epic did.

What they should have said is, "We have taken advantage of some new terrain tech." This would imply that they are using the "already provided for them tech" and they just plugged in the textures.

And thats only if they are using POM or Tessellation. I am not convinced they didn't just make better textures and call it "New Tech". Its hard to tell without seeing it in game at different angles.

Why do you actually care so much? It's semantics at this point. You're acting ridiculous.

i'm not saying i deserved to win the engagement, i'm saying that landing and picking up one gun then hiding in a corner for 8 minutes doing absolutely nothing is a stupid and annoying way to play

Not really, you took the loot to him. It's pretty easy to take out a dude camping with only a pistol anyway, he deserved your loot :3

i'm not saying i deserved to win the engagement, i'm saying that landing and picking up one gun then hiding in a corner for 8 minutes doing absolutely nothing is a stupid and annoying way to play
For you as the person who died.

For him he won the encounter and lived to fight another day. That's the aim of the game, by any means.

He could say you running around like a headless chicken for 8 minutes and being caught out by a guy in a corner because you weren't smart enough is a 'stupid and annoying' way to play.

aeolist

Banned
hey look i get that i suck at this game so i don't need to hear the "git gud" bullshit from you guys

what i am doing here is venting a bit so why don't you just fucking chill with the smug superiority for a minute k?

hey look i get that i suck at this game so i don't need to hear the "git gud" bullshit from you guys

what i am doing here is venting a bit so why don't you just fucking chill with the smug superiority for a minute k?
Says the guy with a smug sense of superiority looking down at the play style of the guy who killed him. Lol.

But ok fella. Hope you git gud and take out the elite pistol players xxx

aeolist

Banned
Says the guy with a smug sense of superiority looking down at the play style of the guy who killed him. Lol.

But ok fella. Hope you git good and take out the elite pistol players xxx

if you're unable to distinguish smugness from frustration and anger then i'm surprised you don't get your ass kicked on a daily basis

m29a

Neo Member
if you're unable to distinguish smugness from frustration and anger then i'm surprised you don't get your ass kicked on a daily basis

He's probably that type of player who does that. Just sits and sits waiting for a single kill with his shotty/smg. It's unfortunate the game rewards passive gameplay. When trying to play aggressive who has the advantage? The camper. I hope the one kill they get makes them happy at least, because they won't be getting further than that. You can't improve your shooting skills if you aren't playing aggressive.

Personally, I'll take a high kill game over some 1-2 kill "chicken dinner" any day of the week. Stacking those kills is way more impressive and difficult, because you have to push people constantly, not sit in a house scared of mid-long range engagements.

To clarify, I am not referring to someone camping occasionally, it makes sense at times, but there are people who take that a step further and base their whole game around it. Find a house, camp nearly the whole game, for a single kill.

I stopped giving a shit about winning. If that's your goal and you achieve it by camping in 1 spot and not moving until the play area forces you too, great. It's a legit way to play. I just find it boring.

My goal now is just to get as many kills as possible because I like looting dead corpses and becoming more powerful. I never shy way from a fight.

That said, if I ever get the AWM, I'm camping.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
77 hours

zYB6Ifn.jpg

77 hours recorded on Steam to get my first chicken dinner. And it was a lame 1-kill win. But goddamn I'm still ecstatic.

tbhysgb

Top 4 finish. Was in perfect position just didn't quite have the right gun.

Coulda used an AR there but only found a shotgun and an ump.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm annoyed that we still don't have FPP on OCE. AS got it just over a week after NA and EU debuted, yet we are now two weeks in from FPP being implemented and still nothing for OCE. Shit sucks...

be better at situational awareness, also someone waiting for 8 minutes in a single place means he's had that position for at least 2 circles (odds are he was there for 30 seconds, heard you coming and camped)

I NEVER run blind into a house. I am constantly looking through windows, listening for movement, being cautious at every turn.

This isn't CoD. You can't just open up doors willy nilly thinking it's safe. I have been on both sides of that encounter and I have won and lost on both sides. It's just playing the game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
For fuck sake, final 6, doing well and host has closed the fucking connection. That could have been my first solo win.

Meia

At first I didn't see the magic in the game necessarily.

Then after 12 hours I got my first chicken dinner with 2 other friends by literally crawling through a wide open field with high grass because that's where the circle was, while everyone else picked each other off. :p

Also discovering the sheer joy of the jump punch kills less than a minute after the game starts. <3

Pineapple

Holy shit, I just finished #1 for the first time. That was intense. Fucking intense.

The last few zones were all around Mylta, so I headed there early on in the game and set up shop. Only had 2 kills for the entire match since I sneak around and let everyone else kill each other, which worked out amazingly well. The last few small zones were all on the beach, so I had to make my way out there when there were about 8 people left. Hid in a ditch until there was just me and another person. My heart was pounding so loud, I swear, never before has a video game had me that nervous.

He decided to throw a grenade, which ended up revealing his position - so I waited it out until the zone got even smaller and then flanked him above a rock.

Amazingly fun and incredibly intense.

Top Bottom