• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

paskowitz

Im not sure what weapons to be picking up.

Shotguns over SMGs as secondary? Do pistols even matter?

You should always try to balance range and damage per second.

My personal favorite combo is a fully kitted M4 and SKS. M4 has a high fire rate and is good for building clearing. SKS is good for ranged targets on the move and IMO is easier to get kills with because the second shot is easier/quicker to take vs the Kar98.

A more common scenario could be going with something like an M16 and an SMG. The M16 can work as your long range weapon and the SMG for everything else.

I always try to have at least 1 full auto gun. Something like an M16 and Kar98 is less than ideal in close quarters combat. Shotgun and Kar98 is just asking for trouble.

I would also factor in what stage of the game you are in. Early game, I love going for an SK12 because I can engage multiple people, likely with weak armor, easily. Late game, I would go a double barrel. Solo, I love the Vector w/extended, but in squads I will want the ammo capacity of an AR or UMP (extended mag).

In terms of pistols, the only two worth equipping are the G18c (w/extended mag) and the revolver (great w/suppressor). It helps if you can use an ammo type for a gun you already have. Otherwise, I don't usually bother with a pistol... maybe I carry 1-2 mags.

Only pick up pistols if you don't have anything else.

SMGs/shotguns depends on what you have and what you prefer, really. If I only have a sniper I would pick up an SMG over a shotgun, so I can engage at mid-range. But if I have an AR I'll probably pick up a shotgun until I can find a sniper.

Thanks, I tend to pick shotgun over SMG, and run AR as main. Doesnt AR do well in SMG's range? Why bother with an SMG since full auto fire is not recommended at all?

Oh my Godddd

I had a great game where I got 3 kills.

2 with a shotgun that seemed to be extremely lethal.

Then I got an M16 kill

Then I FUCKED it up. Had a guy who didnt know I was there. He's in front of me with his back turned

Fire the shotgun, which doesnt seem to do much damage anymore, unless I missed or fell off the effective range. Got killed after trading shots

Still, this ended up being my best game.

For one kill, I heard a guy at the *right* moment to know he was somehow outside the attic window. Pop out, shoot him, and it scared me silly.

Damn I am Finally getting the hang of this game after 24 hours. Been a lot better after fixing my mouse aim.

Definitely interested in Fortnite now but I am praying for another realistic shooter with better controls. Hopefully this game moves ahead fast, but Id love a PS4 version.

Why is such a successful game still in early access? I dont get how it works.

You should always try to balance range and damage per second.

My personal favorite combo is a fully kitted M4 and SKS. M4 has a high fire rate and is good for building clearing. SKS is good for ranged targets on the move and IMO is easier to get kills with because the second shot is easier/quicker to take vs the Kar98.

A more common scenario could be going with something like an M16 and an SMG. The M16 can work as your long range weapon and the SMG for everything else.

I always try to have at least 1 full auto gun. Something like an M16 and Kar98 is less than ideal in close quarters combat. Shotgun and Kar98 is just asking for trouble.

I would also factor in what stage of the game you are in. Early game, I love going for an SK12 because I can engage multiple people, likely with weak armor, easily. Late game, I would go a double barrel. Solo, I love the Vector w/extended, but in squads I will want the ammo capacity of an AR or UMP (extended mag).

In terms of pistols, the only two worth equipping are the G18c (w/extended mag) and the revolver (great w/suppressor). It helps if you can use an ammo type for a gun you already have. Otherwise, I don't usually bother with a pistol... maybe I carry 1-2 mags.

I see thanks. I mostly run SMG and AR, but now am trying to use Shotguns in place because whenever I get killed in a house to house combat, its because the other guy can one shot me with a shotgun.

Oh man, as Im getting into this game, Im wondering when we'll see games like this with more content.

Imagine something like a remote detonator/C4? Or Binoculars? Or creating fires with gasoline?

Edit: sorry, double post

paskowitz

I see thanks. I mostly run SMG and AR, but now am trying to use Shotguns in place because whenever I get killed in a house to house combat, its because the other guy can one shot me with a shotgun.

Oh man, as Im getting into this game, Im wondering when we'll see games like this with more content.

Imagine something like a remote detonator/C4? Or Binoculars? Or creating fires with gasoline?

Edit: sorry, double post

The problem with SMG/AR is you will need to carry a lot of ammo. That space is better used for boosters and heals. I usually carry 150-200 rounds for my AR and 50-100 for my sniper (+mag). 3+ meds, 8+ boosters, 1-2 of each throwable. I would go AR shotgun, unless your AR is an M16.

In terms of more content, balance is really important. I don't think there are any plans to add items like C4. Binoculars would be a great item for the pan slot though.

The problem with SMG/AR is you will need to carry a lot of ammo. That space is better used for boosters and heals. I usually carry 150-200 rounds for my AR and 50-100 for my sniper (+mag). 3+ meds, 8+ boosters, 1-2 of each throwable. I would go AR shotgun, unless your AR is an M16.

In terms of more content, balance is really important. I don't think there are any plans to add items like C4. Binoculars would be a great item for the pan slot though.

I see. M16 is bad?

Blizzard

Banned
One of my lifetime goals is to eventually kill someone with M16 burst fire. Pretty much any time I hit someone with it right now, the bullets actually heal them.

Thanks, I tend to pick shotgun over SMG, and run AR as main. Doesnt AR do well in SMG's range? Why bother with an SMG since full auto fire is not recommended at all?

SMGs are fantastic. Was able to shoot out he tires and then full auto this guy to death at a pretty decent range.

One of my lifetime goals is to eventually kill someone with M16 burst fire. Pretty much any time I hit someone with it right now, the bullets actually heal them.

I get kills with it at relatively close range pretty often. My rule of thumb is that if I need a scope, then single fire. But if my enemy is close enough for targetubg nide, then I burst fire.

I see. M16 is bad?

It has the fastest bullet travel of any of the ARs. So it's a nice sniper in a pinch.

prag16

Banned
Do you know what triggered the ban?

If it's cheating it's probably very difficult to overturn. If you provide them with all evidence you got, maybe.

I checked pubg.me and as far as I can tell the thief didn't even play a match, so no clue. When I get home I can fire up the game and see if it gives me a message with any kind of additional info. The message the Steam website showed me contained no information other than that the game developers have permanently banned me.

Opened a ticket with their "enmasse" support site, created a ban appeal on their official ban appeal forum, and emailed BattlEye. Sent them all a screenshot of my Steam Support interaction in which the account issue was resolved. Also tweeted @ pubg and battleye. Just hoping for the best at this point. Not sure what other evidence I could present. Not sure if they'd be willing to do the legwork of verifying with Valve that I did indeed have a compromised account. The IP was in China, but I suppose they could just assume I used a VPN for my "cheating". Which would be pretty stupid because it doesn't shield my actual account from being banned, quite obviously.

If they all stonewall me my only likely option would be to buy another key and use an alt Steam account. Which really sucks. Guess I learned my lesson for being too lazy to set up the 2 factor auth through the mobile app. -_-

Anne

I'm playing less and less PUBG atm cause the netcode isn't acceptable by any modern standard -_-

I don't care about any update until that's fixed.

Wardancer

Neo Member
The M16 is the second best marksmans rifle in the game, only overtaken by the Mini-14. It has extremely good bullet velocity, very good recoil for single fire and a pretty damn effective burst mode for close range. Its also the only AR that works extremely well without any attachments.

If you think the m16 is bad, you have to git gud.

I'm playing less and less PUBG atm cause the netcode isn't acceptable by any modern standard -_-

I don't care about any update until that's fixed.

You mean the way it works like every other modern shooter with client-side hit detection? Now I can only speak for someone in the EU and I have 0 issues with "net-code" in the game, They could use a bit higher tick rate but eh, for what the game does it is pretty damn good.

Erheller

Hot take: the M16 is the worst assault rifle between 10m and 100m, but is the best assault rifle closer than 10m and farther than 100m.

And even 'worst assault rifle' is still really really damn good.

I’ve changed the way I play quite a bit. I used to be super worried about loot and ammo always trying to loot bodies which ended with me dying. Now I take a minimalist approach to looting and only loot what I need.

I generally try to start a game with a SMG and AR but will move to dual AR once the initial circle has closed. I’m never going to use more then 4 mags of AR so I generally keep around 120-150 total. That’s a full mag and 2-3 extra. I also try to stick to one ammo type. That also depends on the Gear I have. In a perfect world I would have the following.

M4: ExtQD, Vertical, Tact Stock, comp and EOtech
M16: ExtQD, Suppresor, and ACOG/8x
Suppressed Pistol for baiting/immobilizing cars, etc.
120 extra rounds of 556
20 rounds of 9mm (that ruins 3 cars)

Could switch out the M16 for the Mini if I have the attachments. AR attachments are easier to find however. I prefer the M16/Mini over every sniper in the game due to fire rate and bullet velocity.

If nobody in my squad needs a 8x I will generally keep one in my bag in case I need it otherwise I do better with a ACOG. I’ll also switch the suppressor back and forth depending on the situation.

Lastly I greatly prefer suppressors in Solo/Duos, less so in squads just because sometimes it’s hard to find 4 sometimes, and to put it nicely some of us are better at long engagements then others...

That’s in a perfect situation, I rarely get my perfect gear set and if I do I’m bound to die to a sniper headshot 2 seconds after picking up the last piece of gear.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My friend and I just got our first duo win, super happy with that.

OQg6ukO.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Burst fire absolutely shreds people at close range.

Clear buildings with the M16 on burst. You'll get kills.
I've tried, many times. It accounts for a ton of my deaths. The only reason I keep trying is because the thread has told me how good burst fire is, so I assume that if I increase my 250 hours to 350 hours or something, it will eventually work. :p

Hipfire tommy gun and UMP are one of the few ways I semi-reliably get kills however.

I've tried, many times. It accounts for a ton of my deaths. The only reason I keep trying is because the thread has told me how good burst fire is, so I assume that if I increase my 250 hours to 350 hours or something, it will eventually work. :p

Hipfire tommy gun and UMP are one of the few ways I semi-reliably get kills however.
I’ve had success with burst m16 but I generally use it as my ranged weapon. It’s definitely possible but takes practice recoil wise.

Thanks guys

Tried to SMG a guy at 300m. Dude wasnt getting hit. Im feeling out the range.

—

So what advantage does smg have over AR?

SMG's are far weaker than AR's, the bullet curvature on them is ridiculous even over short ranges and their "impact" on the enemy (how much it fucks up their vision when they get hit) is generally way lower.

Anyone else had a member of the team (squad game) randomly strip naked and start attacking you with a pan? o_o I backed away and eventually had to shoot him, at least leaving the others the chance to revive him.

I guess they saw what happened because nobody cared. The guy died soon after. That was weird, especially since we had a good position, we just erased a squad and were equipped really well. Shortly after the host closed connection (?) and the game was done. ;(

Really weird!

sanstesy

I can't believe the game resetting to AS server after every game isn't fixed. Such a small bug that is so grossly annoying. I have counted 14 matches in AS because of that shit.

styl3s

Has anyone been coming across cheaters who slide all over the place head shotting everyone? This is the first time in 500 hours where i have encountered them and i have seen them at least a dozen times in hte past week in solo alone.

shiyrley

Banned
Anyone knows the best DPI for my mouse? Mars Gaming MM5. I'm supposed to choose the "real" DPI of its sensor, but how do I know which one it is?

Nevadatan

Does this stretched road texture annoy anyone else?

me, it triggers this obsessive part of myself everytime i exit that bridge.

also already miss the crouch-jump bind. that was so useful

I can't believe the game resetting to AS server after every game isn't fixed. Such a small bug that is so grossly annoying. I have counted 14 matches in AS because of that shit.

hey, for us on the caribbean the game used to reset to SA everytime. which have no relation to us. we dont even speak spanish nor portuguese

Yukinari

I dont own the game but i hear the ability to link your twitch account was flat out not working so they just removed it? They havent said anything about it?

MUnited83

For you.
I dont own the game but i hear the ability to link your twitch account was flat out not working so they just removed it? They havent said anything about it?

The twitch account button only existed for the Twitch loot. After the twitch loot expired, they then removed the button, as there is no point for it right now.

prag16

Banned
So yeah the ban I complained about earlier on the page (due in part to my dumb ass not having two factor authentication enabled on my steam account) was apparently a BattlEye ban, and sounds like those almost never get overturned for any reason. Looks like I'm boned unless I buy the game again under a separate Steam account. Big bummer. :(

Neith

Banned
So yeah the ban I complained about earlier on the page (due in part to my dumb ass not having two factor authentication enabled on my steam account) was apparently a BattlEye ban, and sounds like those almost never get overturned for any reason. Looks like I'm boned unless I buy the game again under a separate Steam account. Big bummer. :(

Honestly, why is this game so popular? Is it the next fad turned into huge audience? I see we already have other battle royale games coming. It's just so weird as this is early access and the graphics look like trash. I guess there must be a lot of low end system players buying this in droves from other countries?

How long is a normal round?

I feel like the PC community is frothing at the mouth for a new competitive FPS or something.

I felt the same way about the success of Ark. I mean, it was a terrible game mostly with bugs everywhere, but it was super popular even when the devs are selling DLC before its release lol. Strange times.

I guess it can only be good as I feel the BR mode is what people want. This is going to be implemented in a lot of games going forward.

Honestly, why is this game so popular? Is it the next fad turned into huge audience? I see we already have other battle royale games coming. It's just so weird as this is early access and the graphics look like trash. I guess there must be a lot of low end system players buying this in droves from other countries?

I feel like the PC community is frothing at the mouth for a new competitive FPS or something.

I felt the same way about the success of Ark. I mean, it was a terrible game mostly with bugs everywhere, but it was super popular even when the devs are selling DLC before its release lol. Strange times.

I guess it can only be good as I feel the BR mode is what people want. This is going to be implemented in a lot of games going forward.

This game is actually legitimately good bugs and all. Performance has gotten better and it's far less janky then the rest of the installments.

Streaming, word of mouth and and the experiences you go through while playing are what makes it so popular.

I wish Shadowplay would stop shitting itself. It's 50\50 whether or not the highlights feature will actually work. Wish it did because I'm pretty sure I was just victim to the recoil macro....

MUnited83

For you.

The graphics look great, maybe watch someone that isn't running the game at all lows. No, it's not a "fad". It has outsold and outusered every single "fad" game that has existed.
Normal rounds are around 30 minutes.

Luminaire

I think I prefer to solo in AS server, but duo on US server. Not sure why, but I've just had better luck and got my win on AS. I've done a few 3-man squads + 1 rando, and the rando never seems to talk or listen to directions :((((

Also, is shooting out the tires of unused vehicles a jerkass thing to do?

I think I prefer to solo in AS server, but duo on US server. Not sure why, but I've just had better luck and got my win on AS. I've done a few 3-man squads + 1 rando, and the rando never seems to talk or listen to directions :((((

Also, is shooting out the tires of unused vehicles a jerkass thing to do?
I do that shit all the time, I will always keep a suppressed handgun with at least 20 rounds. I will fuck up two tires on every car I have a chance to. Less people with chances to get to the circle the better.

Luminaire

The best is the rare karma where you destroy every car nearby, then flip your actual vehicle and die to the blue on the run in.
I may or may not have shot out the tires of a car, only to drive my buggy full speed into that flooded village immediately after. Rest In Peace, Sir Buggy of Dune.

The best is the rare karma where you destroy every car nearby, then flip your actual vehicle and die to the blue on the run in.
Yeah I know that feeling all too well.

Me and a buddy were playing duos the other night, we were driving two vehicles and stopped right inside the circle at a compound because one of us had basically run out of gas. Being smart we decided to loot the place and ended up getting into a big firefight with another team where we depleted most of our meds.

So, with the circle approaching we engage another team so we decide to book it out so we don’t get caught by the gas (which was the first killer gas and we were on the far side from the safe zone). I decide to fuck the low gas car for some reason only I forgot which one was which and destroyed the nearly full tank car.

We had waited so long while engaging teams that we died just outside the safe zone by a team that we easily could have just driven past.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just had a 6 kill squad game that included knocking 1-2 people out while blinded with a flashbang inside a tower.

Top Bottom