• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

The more FPP I play (which is all I play now) the more I am dying for a hold to ADS bind. We've had a bunch of options introduced since FPP mode hit, but this one seems the most obvious. Being able to sprint out of leaning would be nice too, but guh is it ever so clunky feeling to ADS with the current setup.

Blizzard

Banned
The more FPP I play (which is all I play now) the more I am dying for a hold to ADS bind. We've had a bunch of options introduced since FPP mode hit, but this one seems the most obvious. Being able to sprint out of leaning would be nice too, but guh is it ever so clunky feeling to ADS with the current setup.
That may be partly intentional because they're trying to avoid players being able to easily and instantly gain momentum or change what they are doing. Basically the opposite of an arcade feeling.

Another element like this is the fact that jumping out of high-speed cars kills you unless you do the "hit an obstacle to stop yourself with no damage" thing that I'm assuming is a bug. Otherwise, you end up with players blazing a car through at high speed, popping out, and instantly gunning people down.

Blizzard

Banned
Had a nice squad chicken dinner tonight. Mini 14 is a beast. No recoil whatsoever.
There is a small amount of recoil. You can test this by standing or crouching with a 4x scope / red dot scope and clicking once without moving the mouse after aiming at something horizontal. You'll notice the crosshair is slightly higher once the gun finishes moving, and each additional shot will move it even higher.

People apparently learn to correct by dragging the mouse down after each shot, however.

HelloMeow

This game is so fucking buggy and poorly designed. It's fun when it works but there are so many bugs and issues that can ruin a match and I've seen so little progress. They aren't even fixing the simplest bugs.

Neith

Banned
Some people say that having foliage on is a disadvantage. Is this even possible because that would be awful if someone could see me easier because the foliage covered my vision....

Right there I would never play this competitively unless they segregated servers on PC. I don't even see the point. How could you compete against low graphics users? I remember people used to do this in old BF games lol.

I mean it didn't look too bad on Ultra, but it took a big PC and still looked pretty lifeless to me. I could see it warping into some kind of Last of Us type thing in artstyle I guess. It just seems really early.

But hey they should have some mad money to pump into this right? I hope a PS4 Pro version eventually comes out as that would make matches a lot more even.

Edit: yeah googling this issue brings up tons of complaints. Well that sucks.

To be honest this is absolutely hilarious. People with expensive PCs playing a game that looks like nearly PS2 upscaled because of an advantage issue. I wonder how you could solve this on PC.

Rogan

Banned
This game is so fucking buggy and poorly designed. It's fun when it works but there are so many bugs and issues that can ruin a match and I've seen so little progress. They aren't even fixing the simplest bugs.

Jup. Games like this have to work flawless to get my attention.

I own PUBG but never played more than 60 hours.

JDB

Banned
Some people say that having foliage on is a disadvantage. Is this even possible because that would be awful if someone could see me easier because the foliage covered my vision....

Right there I would never play this competitively unless they segregated servers on PC. I don't even see the point. How could you compete against low graphics users? I remember people used to do this in old BF games lol.

I mean it didn't look too bad on Ultra, but it took a big PC and still looked pretty lifeless to me. I could see it warping into some kind of Last of Us type thing in artstyle I guess. It just seems really early.

But hey they should have some mad money to pump into this right? I hope a PS4 Pro version eventually comes out as that would make matches a lot more even.

Edit: yeah googling this issue brings up tons of complaints. Well that sucks.

To be honest this is absolutely hilarious. People with expensive PCs playing a game that looks like nearly PS2 upscaled because of an advantage issue. I wonder how you could solve this on PC.
They changed it so foliage is practically the same on both lower and higher settings. They recently did the same with shadows after they implemented a way to render them at a lower performance cost. Playing on lower settings is currently more for the increased performance than anything considering it's not amazingly well optimized yet.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
So yeah the ban I complained about earlier on the page (due in part to my dumb ass not having two factor authentication enabled on my steam account) was apparently a BattlEye ban, and sounds like those almost never get overturned for any reason. Looks like I'm boned unless I buy the game again under a separate Steam account. Big bummer. :(

Have you tried logging into a different Steam account on the same PC? You should have access to the games installed. Of course if it's an IP ban that's not going to help but it's worth a try before buying a second copy.

vanty

How rare is this trenchcoat? Never seen it before. I died about two minutes after this by the way ahah. Was running away from one guy throwing grenades and ran into a prone guy with an Uzi that lit me up.

82DDF2A7F36A79BC41012CD324C5C52591101CCB

Daffy Duck

How rare is this trenchcoat? Never seen it before. I died about two minutes after this by the way ahah. Was running away from one guy throwing grenades and ran into a prone guy with an Uzi that lit me up.

Very, that's the Playerunknown trench coat.

Neith

Banned
They changed it so foliage is practically the same on both lower and higher settings. They recently did the same with shadows after they implemented a way to render them at a lower performance cost. Playing on lower settings is currently more for the increased performance than anything considering it's not amazingly well optimized yet.

They changed foliage how to make it the same on low and ultra? I hope it works! Still seems like there are complaints coming in though. Not even sure this issue could be totally fixed. Weird I never thought of this. I guess it can be dealt with in ways.

vanty

Oh and I just noticed it replaced my helmet? Not that it would have changed anything about when I was killed but still not so great ahah.

JDB

Banned
They changed foliage how to make it the same on low and ultra? I hope it works! Still seems like there are complaints coming in though. Not even sure this issue could be totally fixed. Weird I never thought of this. I guess it can be dealt with in ways.
Where are you seeing these complaints?

shiyrley

Banned
A friend of mine told me that if you set the viewing distance to very low you could see enemy players that are behind a cover that is invisible to you. Haven't seen any proof though, and I hope it isn't true.

Wardancer

Neo Member

It renders at the same distance for all settings which is the important part. It wont look exactly the same (obviously) but if you are covered behind a bush you should be covered no matter the settings. Previously there where settings you could tweak in the settingsfiles that removed foliage or reduced rendering distance further but most if not all of those should be eliminated by now.

The main problem that is still around is that the distance for foliage isn't infinite so people far away will easily see you if you prone on a field of grass because the grass doesn't render for them and thats a harder problem to fix. They probably need to do try the same solution ARMA does where foliage is replaced with a flat plane above the ground that hides people about as much as the grass did. Pretty hard to get right and wont look very good.

JDB

Banned
A friend of mine told me that if you set the viewing distance to very low you could see enemy players that are behind a cover that is invisible to you. Haven't seen any proof though, and I hope it isn't true.
Eh, this may be a thing if you see players about a kilometer away which doesn't matter in 99.99% of cases. It's not an issue.

Honestly, why is this game so popular? Is it the next fad turned into huge audience?
Not sure if troll post. People still calling this a "fad?"

Lol. It's popular because it's insanely fun. No other game gives you the same tension and thrill when you pull off a win. Even when you lose in the final 10, it's a blast. That's why it's popular.

I hate games that don't have simple support for things like hold to ADS.

After a few weeks off on holiday, I returned to PUB last night. First impression is that it's running a lot better. It always ran well for me, but got bogged down in town areas. Not anymore, much better in towns.

Secondly, I saw people complaining that low graphics don't look like simplistic dog shit any more, and that it actually preserves detail, especially shadow detail.

This is fantastic news, because running low was a massive advantage for spotting players. My question is this, are people still messing with config files to get around this? Good on PU and Bluehole though, for at least trying to make everything fair.

prag16

Banned
Have you tried logging into a different Steam account on the same PC? You should have access to the games installed. Of course if it's an IP ban that's not going to help but it's worth a try before buying a second copy.

Nah, banned games can't be family shared.

Definitely not an IP ban; in fact that's one of the things that would work in my favor in any appeal, the fact that the ban took place the only time my account played the game from an IP in China.

Of course they could just assume I'm a lying sack of crap, and stupid too, thinking I could avoid a ban by cheating over VPN... even though still using the same Steam account.

Valve is the only party that knows for a fact my account was hijacked and that I wasn't cheating, but they refuse to help thus far, so sounds like I'm screwed. Bluehole washed their hands of me too; said they have no control over it (yeah right) and directed me to BattlEye. Had already contacted them too, but no response yet. :(

shiyrley

Banned
Nah, banned games can't be family shared.

Definitely not an IP ban; in fact that's one of the things that would work in my favor in any appeal, the fact that the ban took place the only time my account played the game from an IP in China.

Of course they could just assume I'm a lying sack of crap, and stupid too, thinking I could avoid a ban by cheating over VPN... even though still using the same Steam account.

Valve is the only party that knows for a fact my account was hijacked and that I wasn't cheating, but they refuse to help thus far, so sounds like I'm screwed. Bluehole washed their hands of me too; said they have no control over it (yeah right) and directed me to BattlEye. Had already contacted them too, but no response yet. :(
Post it on the PUBG forums and on the subreddit, try to get as many upvotes as possible and explain well the situation. Make noise.

Link us the reddit post, I'll upvote it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope they revert the forced PP, I lost around 25fps last patch and my game runs so badly now, I was able to keep above 60fps before but no longer and it's so choppy as a result.

I really hope they revert the forced PP, I lost around 25fps last patch and my game runs so badly now, I was able to keep above 60fps before but no longer and it's so choppy as a result.

I think its related to the fog. I read that the lower PP breaks the fog effect, so they had to force it at a certain quality until they can find a workaround. I'm already running higher PP so I guess it's not an issue for me. But I'm sure they'll work it out.... eventually.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I think its related to the fog. I read that the lower PP breaks the fog effect, so they had to force it at a certain quality until they can find a workaround. I'm already running higher PP so I guess it's not an issue for me. But I'm sure they'll work it out.... eventually.

I'm trying Fortnite now and it pisses me off how well that game runs, same engine, same genre but I'm getting double the frame rate, no stutter, no hitching, everything loads in properly and it's just so smooth overall, whilst playing on high/ultra instead of very low like in PUBG.

JDB

Banned
I'm trying Fortnite now and it pisses me off how well that game runs, same engine, same genre but I'm getting double the frame rate, no stutter, no hitching, everything loads in properly and it's just so smooth overall, whilst playing on high/ultra instead of very low like in PUBG.
I mean Georgopol alone probably has more buildings than the entire Fortnite map and about a 100 times the amount of loot so it's not too surprising.

Pandy

This comes off as blatant concern trolling.

Do you have anything to contribute, or are you only here to tell us what complaints you find on your Google adventures?

You're not playing the game and you're not interested in it, why not leave it at that.
They're hardly "concern trolling", it's a thing people are talking about.

My buddy, who is very much into PUBG, was talking about it with me just last night. He was worried that his graphic settings were putting him at a disadvantage due to the foliage draw distance being 'played' by some people. Not sure which sites/forums he was getting it from.

Hylian7

I got soooo close to getting a solo chicken dinner last night. I had a mini-14, had already killed a guy from pretty far with one shot in the head (that thing is a fucking rail gun) with a red dot.

It came down to me and one other dude. We were near those bumpy hills south of flooded city/ruins. I saw him poke out from behind a tree, I tried to take a few shots, but couldn't hit him. Next circle made me move forward to a rock. Then it was a standoff. He was still behind the tree and I was behind the rock. He threw two frag grenades at me, both landed short of my rock, so I was fine. We exchanged a few shots, I tagged him once, he didn't hit me. Then the next circle came and he got really lucky: I had to move into the open field and he could stay put. This standoff kept going, while I weighed my few options. The only chance I had was to just run at him and try to shoot him before he shoots me. Crawling out wouldn't have worked because I already knew exactly where to look for me. I could shoot him fast enough, gg circle.

prag16

Banned
EDIT: Really weird, the pubgtracker site definitely shows a 26 minute FPP top 10 as my most recent match; that's a match I explicitly remember from several days ago...
apparently the account thief somehow got banned for cheating without ever playing a match???

Post it on the PUBG forums and on the subreddit, try to get as many upvotes as possible and explain well the situation. Make noise.

Link us the reddit post, I'll upvote it.

Ha, I expect nothing more than:
1) Lulz you're a moron for not using two factor authentication.
2) Lulz stfu you're lying, next time just don't cheat.

And I mean I guess #1 wouldn't exactly be wrong..

That's really unfortunate. Are the bans somehow connected to your Steam account? If not, you could ask Valve to remove the game from your library and then buy it again.

Yeah apparently you have a BattlEye ID of some kind that is generated off of your 17 digit steam account code. I don't own any other BattlEye games as of now, but apparently they often ban account across ALL BattlEye games in situations of cheating (so I'd be locked out of DayZ, Arma 3, H1Z1, etc also, though I can't check for sure because I don't own those).

To avoid issues in the future I probably need to just suck it up and use a different steam account moving forward. Actually can't do that YET though because since my phone number is associated with an account with a violation now, I have to wait three months before I can associate it with a mobile authenticator for a different account. -_- What a mess.

yep. With no ping limit/region lock or high tick servers, the player experience will be shit. Combined with stupid bugs and the armor bug. The game cannot be taken seriously. Still rage educing,

frbrr

EDIT: Really weird, the pubgtracker site definitely shows a 26 minute FPP top 10 as my most recent match; that's a match I explicitly remember from several days ago...
apparently the account thief somehow got banned for cheating without ever playing a match???

Ha, I expect nothing more than:
1) Lulz you're a moron for not using two factor authentication.
2) Lulz stfu you're lying, next time just don't cheat.

And I mean I guess #1 wouldn't exactly be wrong..

not sure how battleye works, but doesn't it make sense that it would detect a crappy public cheat before you even get into a game? When it blocks reshade the game won't even start.

#1 is basically what valve tells you if the same situation occurs with VAC in one of their games, so maybe it's standard practice.

prag16

Banned
not sure how battleye works, but doesn't it make sense that it would detect a crappy public cheat before you even get into a game? When it blocks reshade the game won't even start.

#1 is basically what valve tells you if the same situation occurs with VAC in one of their games, so maybe it's standard practice.

Good point. I also do not know how it works. It may very well do that; makes sense. If I get stonewalled at every turn, I'll at least try to get Valve to lift the 90 day hold they have on my ability to connect my mobile number to a different account, so that I can get going with a new account and retire the existing one (can family share the single player games I already have).

EDIT: Installed Fortnite battle Royale and holy shit so many aspects are a straight copy paste of PUBG. Playing some matches to figure out if this is actually good...

Top Bottom